Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi leaders reach deal to form new government

Manhattan

Iraqi leaders reach deal to form new government; Maliki to retain power

By Leila Fadel

Washington Post Foreign Service

Wednesday, November 10, 2010; 4:48 PM

BAGHDAD - Iraq's political leaders have reached a deal on forming a new government that will break the political stalemate that has plagued the country for eight months and give Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki a second term as Iraq's leader.

Faced with little choice if he hoped to preserve his political bloc, secular Shiite Ayad Allawi, the head of the largely Sunni-backed bloc of Iraqiya, begrudgingly agreed to support Maliki's bid for Iraq's top job, despite no real concessions from the Shiite leader to share power. The decision seems to be a defeat to a plan the United States had been pushing for a power-sharing arrangement between Allawi, whose group won the plurality in Iraq's parliament, and Maliki.

"There was too much pressure from our own political groups. Unfortunately a deal was made, and now we have to concentrate on the ministries," said a leading member of parliament from the Iraqiya bloc. "We didn't want Iraqiya to split, and our negotiating team failed."

Legislators are expected to meet Thursday afternoon for only the second time since the inconclusive March 7 election. Under the deal reached Wednesday, the parliament is expected to appoint a speaker from Iraqiya, then name the current Kurdish president, Jalal Talabani, as president. He, in turn, will name Maliki as prime minister. Maliki will then have to put together a cabinet that a simple majority in Iraq's parliament will have to approve.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/10/AR2010111005456.html

• Upvote 7

Gee wonder what --don't promote other sites-- (initials are A/C) will say now? He said the Thursday meeting would be cancelled. :lol:

I've never believed in AC's negativity. He'll probably deny the RV after it happens! The news today looks extremely promising!!

• Upvote 3

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to be this far in the process. BUT, doesn't this mean that democracy failed. I mean, the people voted Allawi, and Maliki will be the PM. What does this mean for their future? It appears to me we will see another dictator in power.

Honestly who cares! but I do agree with you

I cant wait to see this announced to the world on FOX, CNN etc

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to be this far in the process. BUT, doesn't this mean that democracy failed. I mean, the people voted Allawi, and Maliki will be the PM. What does this mean for their future? It appears to me we will see another dictator in power.

Well Maliki --- better REDUCE his "head-swell" this time around -- and start doing something for the people of Iraq -- or violence from Sunnis will tear him a "new one". Silly ass Kurds will soon learn Maliki via Iran will NEVER give them Kirkuk, or previous oil contracts. Kurds are suckers --- sure hope I'm wrong.

Edited by EBJNYC

I know what you mean... It appears the writing was on the wall as to who would be in power for some time now. But what is worse: this option or the alternative of no government at all. I certainly don't know. But at least the Iraqi people won't be stalled... hopefully. Time will tell.

How is this good?

"The decision seems to be a defeat to a plan the United States had been pushing for a power-sharing arrangement between Allawi, whose group won the plurality in Iraq's parliament, and Maliki. "

I assume none of this matter as long as who ever is in charge processes the RV.

• Downvote 1

How is this good?

"The decision seems to be a defeat to a plan the United States had been pushing for a power-sharing arrangement between Allawi, whose group won the plurality in Iraq's parliament, and Maliki. "

I assume none of this matter as long as who ever is in charge processes the RV.

Well Triple xXx, apparently you have not been updated properly regarding the process and current news. The US was on board with any agreement that included all blocs and the sharing of arrangements. I think you have this confused with their position that they will support Maliki as long as all blocs agree to the common interests of the Iraqi people. Sorry you missed this news.

God Bless you and the people that have invested in this country.

Edited by SteveI