Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Hey Pheonix

deenar

But the British-trained neurosurgeon has again become a leading contender for the job after his Iraqiya bloc's narrow victory in March's parliamentary election.

Barring a successful challenge by Prime Minister Nouri Maliki's State of Law alliance, Mr Allawi will be given the opportunity to form a coalition government, paving the way for weeks of political wrangling.

A secular Shia, he has promised that Iraqiya "will open its heart to all political forces and all those who want to build Iraq".

Put it all up there lol

New guy in here..I am pretty much just a guy who follows this investment via the posts on DV and DD.I have read a lot of stuff off those sites.I have never really got in to the serious docs that are available.I have been weeding through the GURU comments all along as I feel a few of them are really deep in knowledge.Only fools do not respect that.They do the leg work for us.Only thing is you have to read their stuff a while to see what their possible undisclosed motives might be.I am with a lot of you commenting here.These two people..Phoenix and Scooter are the real deal...I also think that Ali guy from DT is the real deal.A businessman for sure,but a solid one.I like the DD dude as well for being a HUB for stuff on this investment.This investment is just the most complicated project I have ever encountered in my life.The one MAJOR FEAR I have is IRAN.They are scary in the region and instability could kill the golden calf in a minute.Iam not sure the IRAN guy is not ILL.I don't mind him posturing and Iam hoping that is all it is.Iam in till the end,no matter what the time frame[unless I croak].This whole story would make a great MOVIE after the project is over.

Good ? is RATES and DATES?? It looks like we could get it come in LOW with a possible TIME LIMIT on the large bills that would really put the squeeze on my HEAD.I think that would be a controlled float on the rate until after the largies come in? If they have it so the rate does not move early,you would just go all in on what you have.All I have is large.If they don't have a time limit[which Iam hoping for] I would love to hold some out.Maybe exchange for small denoms if needed or possible? and let it grow[a personal hedge fund?]..Iam hoping for over a buck and i'll just go my way unless there is no time limit on LARGIES..Then I'll have to think about what and how to keep going.Heck if it hits like 2/3 bucks..I guess I would buy some Dong and hang with that a while,if I could not keep going with Dinar.Iam hooked on this gig now.

If I have to go all in,I'll really miss the action on here.It is really something special...The Gurus,Pumpers,soldiers,investors,The sacred,the profane,just folks..the stories that come out are just compelling....It reminds me of the story of our country..So many facets that have taken us this far and this good.

From what I see in here,this country of Iraq is gonna prosper some way, some day and I would love to go deep with these folks....When this scores,I will be playing with the Houses money and I see good things ahead all over IRAQ as far as investment goes..Banks,Construction,Consumer goods,Military stuff,oil,gas,minerals...unlimited potential..

GO RV..

• Upvote 1

Phoenix, so I've heard that the last UN Operational exchange day is Nov. 1st. Does that mean that if they don't "pull the trigger" by then, they stand a weak chance of RVing this year? I know that currency revalues have happened in history on other days than the 1st and 15th, but could that happen this year?

Thanks in advance, as I'm sure there are others wondering this too.

Know Moral Eyes

We seem to be in uncharted areas right now as far as the worlds currencies go...... all rules or norms seem to be on hold awaiting the changes that the G-20 has agreed upon.

How this all plays out and when I will not even dare guess.

But I do think we are right at the threshold of major economic changes with the Iraqi Dinar and other world currencies and that time is now and not later.

IMHO

Phoenix

• Upvote 8

We seem to be in uncharted areas right now as far as the worlds currencies go...... all rules or norms seem to be on hold awaiting the changes that the G-20 has agreed upon.

But I do think we are right at the threshold of major economic changes with the Iraqi Dinar and other world currencies and that time is now and not later.

IMHO

Phoenix

Phoenix, I agree we are in uncharted territory. Thanks for all your posts telling it in simple words how you see it and giving links to back up your statement, admitting what you do not dare guess on and still expressing your opinions which normally make lots of good sense.

Also, thanks for setting us straight on Maliki. I was one of those believing the miss-information. It seems you have investigated deeper into the truth. Therefore I for one will no longer be passing on that miss-information. Just like in our country, there is always mud-slinging when a deadline is close. My biggest concern is that all blocs are represented and feel they have a say in the future of Iraq and that there is a willingness on the part of all to work together for the good of the whole.

Surely do hope this is a very revealing next few days and that we are near the end of the long long wait for many.

• Upvote 1

The documents that were released do not directly implicate Maliki of any wrong doing but have been used in an attempt to paint the picture as if he did.

There is nothing within the documents themselves thus far that has shown without a shadow of a doubt that Maliki is guilty of any wrong doing.

This is the same type of situation as we have had here in the United States with the radical group "The Pink Ladies" who have used freedom of information documents and news reports in a feeble attempt to claim that both George Bush and **** Cheney were guilty of war crimes and therefore should be convicted.

And in the same way as i described the current wiki leaks situation in Iraq we see a radical anti Maliki group grasping at any information they can find in a weak attempt to discredit the current administration in Iraq.

You are seeing the actions of the Iraqi equivalent of the "Pink Ladies".....and being so is as I described...is nothing less than a political sideshow that has zero effect on the real political situation within Iraq at this time.

Phoenix

I think we should see the GOI formed this week and I am sure the contracts will stand.

RV this year?

Yes.

Phoenix

Thanks for your take on this subject. You are a stand-up guy!!!

Let me just state that the only reason I threw out a timeline of before Nov2nd was because of many different things I was hearing from places not affiliated with this site.......NOT from what one person said to me or told me....just a conglomerate of information being seen, read, and heard.....just thought this was too good to be true and that it finally might be here.....was just trying to lift peoples spirits since so many were down in the dumps pondering if this would ever happen.....Im not throwing people under the bus or pointing ANYONE out because its not necessary...we are all here for the same reason and I felt it would do everyone benefit to hear what I thought could be the end....Do I think we are still in good shape?? Of course!! I dont see any reason why it couldnt happen in November......I really dont care if I thought wrong about the timing....its not a big deal to me.....was just making a guesstimate based on everything that has been going on the past weeks and months and thought this wasent going to be delayed any further......but hey this is Iraq and no one can tie down EXACTLY when this will happen....we can only put the puzzle pieces together and speculate on when they would have to pull the trigger......I still have much faith in the people I talk to....its not there fault lol cant really blame anyone....you go off what you hear and hope it stands....if it doesnt it doesnt...simple as that....but like scooter said "time to get back to the basics" lol stick with what we know and what is fact and run with it......with all the talk of the open session coming to a close I think we are finally getting somewhere with the GOI.....if they can sit down and start appointing positions then I feel the RV shouldnt be much longer after......so just be patient and we will see this unfold before us.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

100% shoe in.

Always has been and still is.

All of the negative wiki leaks info that is being thrown around by those who oppose Malaki is nothing more than the standard political mudslinging and is only effective on the unintelligent who do not know the true facts.

Nothing more than simple lies which are very effective on simple minds.

But to the well informed it is all nothing more than a curious political side show with zero true effect.

Malaki is ...has been...and will be the only true choice for PM at this time.

Hope that helps.

Phoenix

Maliki is THE KING OF SQUALOR. He has done ZERO for the people of Iraq during his tenure --- THE PROOF IS EVIDENT --- what benefit has the people reaped from Maliki ---- ZERO --- Open your eyes and look at Iraq --- ZERO ---- ZERO ---- ZERO --- and you say he's the best. Yes the best B.S.er -- that's about it. He's the best SHOE IN as in SHOE THROWER (remember him) -- he should have HIT Maliki upside his MELON HEAD with the shoe that thrown at GWB !!!

Edited by EBJNYC
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Maliki is THE KING OF SQUALOR. He has done ZERO for the people of Iraq during his tenure --- THE PROOF IS EVIDENT --- what benefit has the people reaped from Maliki ---- ZERO --- Open your eyes and look at Iraq --- ZERO ---- ZERO ---- ZERO --- and you say he's the best. Yes the best B.S.er -- that's about it. He's the best SHOE IN as in SHOE THROWER (remember him) -- he should have HIT Maliki upside his MELON HEAD with the shoe that thrown at GWB !!!

Time Magazine 100

Nouri al-Maliki

nouri_al_maliki.jpg

Nouri al-Maliki is the first Iraqi Prime Minister to hold office under the new constitution. He spent most of his prior life as an Islamic Dawa Party activist working for Saddam's overthrow. Dawa, long years of exile and the fight against Saddam shaped al-Maliki and his worldview.

Al-Maliki, 58, assumed his role at a time when violence was high. The bombing of al-Askari Mosque in February 2006 was intended to cause an all-out war between Shi'ites and Sunni Arabs. During those tense times, I met with al-Maliki often. I found him to be focused on establishing security but torn on some key issues. He understood the need for reconciliation with former Baathists but was concerned that they would conspire to return to power. He told me he opposed the militias, but he was loath to move against the powerful Jaish al-Mahdi (JAM) because its political wing had supported his bid for office and because he believed it protected Shi'ites against Sunni attacks.

The evolution in al-Maliki's performance as Prime Minister surprised many. He became committed to building a new Iraqi state. His decision to use force against JAM in Basra in March 2008 — when he took charge of the operation himself — was a defining moment. Al-Maliki has skillfully maintained good relations with both the U.S. and Iran and handled Iraqi political groups well.

When I had dinner with him in Baghdad recently, I found him to be more at peace with himself, more confident that Iraq will succeed. But he and his nation face challenges. Iraq needs further progress in reconciliation. Violence could increase again. Kurds and the al-Maliki government need to avoid a drift toward increased tensions. And there has been little progress toward realizing Iraq's enormous economic potential. All these challenges will tax al-Maliki's political skills and determine his place in Iraqi history.

Khalilzad is a former U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Iraq and AfghanistanRead more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1893847_1894206,00.html#ixzz13mSHcD5r'>http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1893847_1894206,00.html#ixzz13mSHcD5r

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1893847_1894206,00.html

Edited by Phoenix
  • Upvote 4

You know one thing I can always say is, Phoenix is on key and I honestly would hate to sit across from him in a Poker Tournament. With that analogy being give and all jokes aside, Thank You... For the hand that you initially revel and the hand you hold and bluff your opponent and afterwards shut the game down completely. If there was a side bar bet and I was wagering, my money would be on Phoenix... ;)

Enigam-

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Time magazine is liberal trash...

Oh...well here you go....maybe The CFR is more your style?

World Policy Journal: Machiavelli in Mesopotamia: Nouri al-Maliki Builds the Body Politic

Author: Ned Parker

Spring 2009

In this article, Ned Parker describes the ruling style of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, and the implications for the future of democracy in Iraq.

BAGHDAD, IRAQ-The country has gone through hell. The morning explosions, round the clock mortaring, day and night gun battles. The bodies dumped on the periphery of neighborhoods. The Shiite and Sunni families who fled their homes after threat letters were slipped under their doors.

All that is finished now. Iraq's open civil war, lasting from 2006 until late 2007, has ended.

The war affirmed the durability of the new Shiite-led Iraqi state. What has come since is an extended truce, in which Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has begun to consolidate his power and mastery over Iraq's security forces, asserting his will on the provinces.

For now, those rival factions-tribes, insurgent groups, Shiite militias-have come to see the benefits of forging alliances withBaghdad and the consequences of failing to do so. As the situation calms, the country has started to resemble not a Western-style democracy, which was the goal when the United States invaded, but the authoritarian model that governed Iraq until 2003: a place where a strong leader guarantees stability and citizens rally around the state,with one crucial difference-Iraq's Shiite majority is now in charge, not its onetime Sunni elite.

After years of violence and the displacement of millions, Shiites and Sunnis are slowly finding ways to accommodate one another, all under the watchful eye of a single flag and leader in Baghdad.

For the moment, that leader is al-Maliki.To anger him is to risk endless harassment, exile, or imprisonment. To strike an alliance with al-Maliki is an opportunity to amass power and protection from enemies.

Full Text of Document

http://www.cfr.org/publication/19736/world_policy_journal.html

• Upvote 4

How Iraq has improved under the leadership of Maliki.

Nation Building WorksBy DAVID BROOKS

Published: August 30, 2010

The U.S. venture into Iraq was a war, but it was also a nation-building exercise. America has spent $53 billion trying to reconstruct Iraq, the largest development effort since the Marshall Plan.

So how’s it working out?

On the economic front, there are signs of progress. It’s hard to know what role the scattershot American development projects have played, but this year Iraq will have the 12th-fastest-growing economy in the world, and it is expected to grow at a 7 percent annual clip for the next several years.

“Iraq has made substantial progress since 2003,” the International Monetary Fund reports. Inflation is reasonably stable. A budget surplus is expected by 2012. Unemployment, though still 15 percent, is down from stratospheric levels.

Oil production is back around prewar levels, and there are some who say Iraq may be able to rival Saudi production.

That’s probably unrealistic, but Iraq will have a healthy oil economy, for better and for worse.

Living standards are also improving.

According to the Brookings Institution’s Iraq Index, the authoritative compendium of data on this subject, 833,000 Iraqis had phones before the invasion. Now more than 1.3 million have landlines and some 20 million have cellphones. Before the invasion, 4,500 Iraqis had Internet service. Now, more than 1.7 million do.

In the most recent Gallup poll, 69 percent of Iraqis rated their personal finances positively, up from 36 percent in March 2007. Baghdad residents say the markets are vibrant again, with new electronics, clothing and even liquor stores.

Basic services are better, but still bad. Electricity production is up by 40 percent over pre-invasion levels, but because there are so many more air-conditioners and other appliances, widespread power failures still occur.

In February 2009, 45 percent of Iraqis said they had access to trash removal services, which is woeful, though up from 18 percent the year before. Forty-two percent were served by a fire department, up from 23 percent.

About half the U.S. money has been spent building up Iraqi security forces, and here, too, the trends are positive.

Violence is down 90 percent from pre-surge days. There are now more than 400,000 Iraqi police officers and 200,000 Iraqi soldiers, with operational performance improving gradually. According to an ABC News/BBC poll last year, nearly three-quarters of Iraqis had a positive view of the army and the police, including, for the first time, a majority of Sunnis.

Politically, the basic structure is sound, and a series of impressive laws have been passed. But these gains are imperiled by the current stalemate at the top.

Iraq ranks fourth in the Middle East on the Index of Political Freedom from The Economist’s Intelligence Unit — behind Israel, Lebanon and Morocco, but ahead of Jordan, Egypt, Qatar and Tunisia. Nearly two-thirds of Iraqis say they want a democracy, while only 19 percent want an Islamic state.

In short, there has been substantial progress on the things development efforts can touch most directly: economic growth, basic security, and political and legal institutions.

After the disaster of the first few years, nation building, much derided, has been a success. When President Obama speaks to the country on Iraq, he’ll be able to point to a large national project that has contributed to measurable, positive results.

Of course, to be honest, he’ll also have to say how fragile and incomplete this success is. Iraqi material conditions are better, but the Iraqi mind has not caught up with the Iraqi opportunity.

There is still very little social trust. Iraq is the fourth-most-corrupt nation on earth, according to Transparency International’s rating system. The role of women remains surprisingly circumscribed.

Iraqi politicians clearly find it very hard to compromise (though they may be no worse than American politicians in this regard).

Human capital is lagging. Most doctors left Iraq after the invasion, and it is hard to staff health clinics. The engineers left too, so American-built plants lie dormant because there is no one with the skills to run them. Schools are suffering because of a lack of teachers.

Ryan Crocker, the former ambassador, recently wrote an article in The National Interest noting that fear still pervades Iraq. Ethnic animosities are in abeyance, but they are not gone. Guns have been put in closets, but not destroyed.

If he is honest, Obama will have to balance pride with caution. He’ll have to acknowledge that the gains the U.S. is enabling may vanish if the U.S. military withdraws entirely next year. He’ll have to acknowledge that bottom-up social change requires time and patience. He’ll have to heed the advice of serious Iraq hands like Crocker, Michael O’Hanlon of Brookings and Stephen Biddle of the Council on Foreign Relations, and shelve plans to withdraw completely.

Such a move may rob him of a campaign talking point. But it will safeguard an American accomplishment that has been too hard won.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/22871/nyt.html

• Upvote 3

Alright Phoenix I applaud your efforts........I still don't like or trust the guy though.

I don't trust any of them...but that's just me.

I am just shedding some light on massive misinformation that has flooded the forums in an attempt to dispel any unjustified fears people may have on who is seated as the PM of Iraq.

1. It does not matter who it is as long as it is done soon.

2. Malaki as PM will in no way delay this investment or hinder the CBI from moving forward.

Better the devil you know...than the one you don't

IMHO

Phoenix

• Upvote 7

Thank you Phoenix and keepm for your expertise, knowledge, experience - and most of all for your willingness to SHARE with those of us who are standing on the sidelines watching this parade. I don't know a great deal about Maliki, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' USA has had a few ... shall we say ... greedy, selfish, dishonest and wicked leaders and even presidents. I'm hoping whoever heads the Iraq government will (1) survive and (2) put the interests of Iraq FIRST. Wishing us all good luck - don't forget to vote!

• Upvote 1

IMHO

Phoenix

Phoenix, as always I find your comments educational and logical. Thank you for all your post. I do believe it is in the best interest for all to have the RV a.s.a.p. I can't imagine how the Iraqi Gov. can go through the motions, or lack there of, to keep their people in such a dire need. We here are so very blessed to have what we do have. I can't imagine this being held back from their people a minute longer. It must be near. I pray it is. Thank you again. :)

• Upvote 1

Phoenix Thanks for all the info on Maliki- I too was a believer that he was bad for the iraqi people.

With the info you have provided in this thread it appears Maliki just may be what Iraqi people need.

All your posts are very much appreciated.

GoRV.gif

Similar to the admission I made in another thread. Thanks Phoenix for enlightening us.

• Upvote 1