Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

President Obama's Speech for Tuesday

Chief V

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release

August 28, 2010

Weekly Address: President Obama: As the Combat Mission in Iraq Ends, We Must Pay Tribute to Those Who Have Served

WASHINGTON – In this week’s address, President Obama pledged to uphold the sacred trust the nation has with its troops and veterans as the combat mission in Iraq comes to an end. The administration is building a 21st century VA, making it easier for veterans with PTSD to receive the benefits they need, funding and implementing a Post-9/11 GI Bill, and devoting new resources to job training and placement to help those veterans looking for work in a tough economy. The President also encouraged Americans who want to send our troops and veterans a message of thanks to visit www.whitehouse.gov and upload a message.

The full audio of the address is HERE. The video can be viewed online at www.whitehouse.gov.

Remarks of President Barack Obama

Weekly Address

The White House

August 28, 2010

On Tuesday, after more than seven years, the United States of America will end its combat mission in Iraq and take an important step forward in responsibly ending the Iraq war.

As a candidate for this office, I pledged I would end this war. As President, that is what I am doing. We have brought home more than 90,000 troops since I took office. We have closed or turned over to Iraq hundreds of bases. In many parts of the country, Iraqis have already taken the lead for security.

In the months ahead, our troops will continue to support and train Iraqi forces, partner with Iraqis in counterterrorism missions, and protect our civilian and military efforts. But the bottom line is this: the war is ending. Like any sovereign, independent nation, Iraq is free to chart its own course. And by the end of next year, all of our troops will be home.

As we mark the end of America’s combat mission in Iraq, a grateful nation must pay tribute to all who have served there. Because part of responsibly ending this war is meeting our responsibility to those who have fought it.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan now make up America’s longest continuous combat engagement. For the better part of a decade, our troops and their families have served tour after tour with honor and heroism, risking and often giving their lives for the defense of our freedom and security. More than one million Americans in uniform have served in Iraq – far more than any conflict since Vietnam. And more than one million who have served in both wars have now finished their service and joined the proud ranks of America’s veterans.

What this new generation of veterans must know is this: our nation’s commitment to all who wear its uniform is a sacred trust that is as old as our republic itself. It is one that, as President, I consider a moral obligation to uphold.

At the same time, these are new wars; with new missions, new methods, and new perils. And what today’s veterans have earned – what they have every right to expect – is new care, new opportunity, and a new commitment to their service when they come home.

That’s why, from the earliest days of my Administration, we’ve been strengthening that sacred trust with our veterans by making our veterans policy more responsive and ready for this new century.

We’re building a 21st century VA, modernizing and expanding VA hospitals and health care, and adapting care to better meet the unique needs of female veterans. We’re creating a single electronic health record that our troops and veterans can keep for life. We’re breaking the claims backlog and reforming the process with new paperless systems. And we are building new wounded warrior facilities through the Department of Defense

But for many of our troops and their families, the war doesn’t end when they come home. Too many suffer from Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – the signature injuries of today’s wars – and too few receive proper screening or care. We’re changing that. We’re directing significant resources to treatment, hiring more mental health professionals, and making major investments in awareness, outreach, and suicide prevention. And we’re making it easier for a vet with PTSD to get the benefits he or she needs.

To make sure our troops, veterans, and their families have full access to the American Dream they’ve fought to defend, we’re working to extend them new opportunity. Michelle and Jill Biden have forged a national commitment to support military families while a loved one is away. We’ve guaranteed new support to caregivers who put their lives on hold for a loved one’s long recovery. We’re funding and implementing the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which is already helping some 300,000 veterans and their family members pursue their dream of a college education.

And for veterans trying to find work in a very tough economy, we’ve devoted new resources to job training and placement. I’ve directed the federal government to hire more veterans, including disabled veterans, and I encourage every business in America to follow suit. This new generation of veterans has proven itself to be a new generation of leaders. They have unmatched training and skills; they’re ready to work; and our country is stronger when we tap their extraordinary talents.

New care. New opportunity. A new commitment to our veterans.

If you’d like to send our troops and veterans a message of thanks and support, just visit whitehouse.gov. There, you’ll find an easy way to upload your own text or video.

Let them know that they have the respect and support of a grateful nation. That when their tour ends; when they see our flag; when they touch our soil; they’ll always be home in an America that is forever here for them – just as they’ve been there for us. That is the promise our nation makes to those who serve. And as long as I’m Commander-in-Chief, it’s a promise we’ll keep. Thank you.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/08/28/weekly-address-president-obama-combat-mission-iraq-ends-we-must-pay-trib

Also the Video............ : http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2010/08/28/weekly-address-end-combat-operations-iraq

• Upvote 1

This is my thoughts on the issue of the VA as the O machine taunts. The Bush Admin put the VA high up on the priority list as it should be. For decades, the VA has been justly accused of not treating Ves properly. I talk to Vets everytime I go to the VA and I get this opinions from their experiences. There has been a big shift the last few years to correct those ways and currently, it seems to be on the right track. I cannot say that O is the reason cuz I feel that would be a big lie. He is tryingto take credit for the progress the VA has made from his predecessor. Just as he will take credit for the RV in Iraq.

From my own witnessing, since 2006, I have seen very good care at the VA (the one I go to anyhow). I just got thru with a 3 day stay there and had very advanced testing done. I think the VA is making very positive stides with its medical and mental care for Vets. But for the current govt to claim credit is a joke. I bear witness to this asa 100% disabled Vet who frequents the VA alot. This includes the PTSD programs. Take it as you will.

This is my thoughts on the issue of the VA as the O machine taunts. The Bush Admin put the VA high up on the priority list as it should be. For decades, the VA has been justly accused of not treating Ves properly. I talk to Vets everytime I go to the VA and I get this opinions from their experiences. There has been a big shift the last few years to correct those ways and currently, it seems to be on the right track. I cannot say that O is the reason cuz I feel that would be a big lie. He is tryingto take credit for the progress the VA has made from his predecessor. Just as he will take credit for the RV in Iraq.

From my own witnessing, since 2006, I have seen very good care at the VA (the one I go to anyhow). I just got thru with a 3 day stay there and had very advanced testing done. I think the VA is making very positive stides with its medical and mental care for Vets. But for the current govt to claim credit is a joke. I bear witness to this asa 100% disabled Vet who frequents the VA alot. This includes the PTSD programs. Take it as you will.

I agree, this has been ongoing before O was in the picture. Walter Reed was a shambles, Ft. Bragg has a brand new hospital next to Womack and most folks I've talked to have said they've gotten better treatment, and this was years ago already. Well before O got in. Initially after the war kicked in full on the ground troops and casualties were mounting, is when the big deficiencies started showing back home....they were no where near ready to receive the amount of people they were going to, let alone put them up in much better conditions than some were sharing on the battlefield. It's been a long time coming that's for sure.

Being an old Army guy myself, I have thru the years always kept the military personel close to my heart. I know for a fact that the changes in the VA system had nothing to do with the current govt. Bush is the main reason that things are the way they are. And if anything, we need to remain vigil that the current govt doesn't wedge itself in there to try to take away the positive changes that have been made.... B)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being an old Army guy myself, I have thru the years always kept the military personel close to my heart. I know for a fact that the changes in the VA system had nothing to do with the current govt. Bush is the main reason that things are the way they are. And if anything, we need to remain vigil that the current govt doesn't wedge itself in there to try to take away the positive changes that have been made.... B)

Great post and I don't see this current admin taken anything away for the VA system. Hell my brother served for a couple years back in the 80's and been out for about 27 years and is very sick and VA is providing much need insurance coverage that he never would have been able to cover. This admin is doing alot for the troops like education/medical/VA and much more.

I'm proud to be an old soldier that support all past and future President.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I,m a VET and I have nothing but praise for the VA and Staff at the Atlanta hospital. They are ALWAYS trying to help us ,even when some "VETS" are not looking to be friendly. There is alot of room for improvement but that takes time and money. I wish I could direct the tax money that I am about to give to the usa,via this rv,directly to the VA,

ENUFF SAID! Go RV! oh, and ROLL TIDE!!!

• Upvote 1

I don't know where to start. I am disabled Vet also, with the PTSD, bad feet and now cancer. I returned in 05 to a VA that has taken great care of me and concerned about all Vet's be it Vietnam or the Iraq war. I have spoken with WWI and WWII vets who say the samething. Bush fixed Walter Reed not Obama. For this man to take credit for the end of this war when he was totally against the war and the surg is disgraceful. Just like a bad soldier or Marine both of which I was, he Obama should be dishonorably discharged from his post. The man is like a big kid with a cookie jar but he is running out of cookies. I hope the media eats him alive if he trys to take credit for ending this war.

I retired in 07 and never expected anything like this. He is taking our country down the tubes and the American people just sit there and take it. Someone needs to do something!!! What I don't know, I am just another voice not being heard. Maybe the Tea Party needs to take this to the next level. I don't know people, what do we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

God Bless all of you for your service. THANK YOUI! I am thankful that our VA Hospitals and Benefits are being improved. We know what Bush did but he wouldn't even care if Obama took the credit just as long as all of your are receiving the best of the best care and services.

God Bless America! :)

God Bless all of you for your service. THANK YOUI! I am thankful that our VA Hospitals and Benefits are being improved. We know what Bush did but he wouldn't even care if Obama took the credit just as long as all of your are receiving the best of the best care and services.

God Bless America! :)

Good analysis as GW s proving to all he is not a glory hound. He truly cares for the troops. Say what you will about him politically, but I very much respect him as a person and would go to war for him again if asked. I would not cross the street for Big Ears....

This is not true at all. Bush did a lot of harm to the VA. He started a war, then CUT funding to the VA system. I voted for W the first time, because I knew I was getting out of the Navy soon, and was going to need the VA to take care of my injured shoulder. I barely get qualified, although I was discharged after being on medical hold a year past my end of service date. I witnessed first hand so many getting denied VA service after the 2nd gulf war began. Quality care went down the drain with the funding cuts. I felt bad actually getting cared, seeing that literally vets who lost limbs waiting HOURS just trying to qualify for care.

Please don't take this as a bashing on you ripping Obama. I just wanted to give first hand experience on the harm Bush did during his time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Upvote 1

This is not true at all. Bush did a lot of harm to the VA. He started a war, then CUT funding to the VA system. I voted for W the first time, because I knew I was getting out of the Navy soon, and was going to need the VA to take care of my injured shoulder. I barely get qualified, although I was discharged after being on medical hold a year past my end of service date. I witnessed first hand so many getting denied VA service after the 2nd gulf war began. Quality care went down the drain with the funding cuts. I felt bad actually getting cared, seeing that literally vets who lost limbs waiting HOURS just trying to qualify for care.

Please don't take this as a bashing on you ripping Obama. I just wanted to give first hand experience on the harm Bush did during his time.

I am sorry you have had trouble and hope it improves. All I can base my opinions on is from the Vets I have talked to and from my own personal experience. Now with the Veterans Benefits Dept...that is a totally different animal. That part of the VA is a joke and set up to disuade a Vet from making claims and chase your tail the harder you try. But the medical part, based on what I stated earlier, has improved greatly the last 10 years. Now, the PTSD is the Politically Correct subject for the govt with the VA. So they harp on that with full gusto. The bold truth is it is easier for a Vet to get higher disability payments and easier access to medical treatment with PTSD verses injuries to arms, legs, eyes, etc. I look forward when a Vet, with bonafide problems, gets all the help they need with no red tape.

I hope that after RV, many private Vet orgs get financial support from many of us. I know I plan to send $$ to a few.

I am sorry you have had trouble and hope it improves. All I can base my opinions on is from the Vets I have talked to and from my own personal experience. Now with the Veterans Benefits Dept...that is a totally different animal. That part of the VA is a joke and set up to disuade a Vet from making claims and chase your tail the harder you try. But the medical part, based on what I stated earlier, has improved greatly the last 10 years. Now, the PTSD is the Politically Correct subject for the govt with the VA. So they harp on that with full gusto. The bold truth is it is easier for a Vet to get higher disability payments and easier access to medical treatment with PTSD verses injuries to arms, legs, eyes, etc. I look forward when a Vet, with bonafide problems, gets all the help they need with no red tape.

I hope that after RV, many private Vet orgs get financial support from many of us. I know I plan to send $$ to a few.

I personally plan on giving money to groupd that help vets get the care they deserve, as well as cancelling my disability status so that money can go back in the system.