Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Impeachment Managers Plan To Introduce New Evidence Against Trump During Trial

HuffPost

Impeachment Managers Plan To Introduce New Evidence Against Trump During Trial

Hayley Miller
Hayley Miller
·Senior reporter, HuffPost
Tue, February 9, 2021, 10:10 AM

The House impeachment managers will introduce previously unseen evidence against President Donald Trump during the trial this week, their senior aides told reporters on a call Tuesday morning.

The aides declined to go into detail about the new evidence during the call, instructing reporters to “stay tuned” and that there would be “more to come.”

In their argument that Trump incited the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, Democrats have already pointed to his false claims of widespread election fraud, videos of his supporters storming the seat of the U.S. government and witness statements about the riot.

The impeachment trial is set to begin Tuesday around 1 p.m. ET. Day one will focus on the question of whether holding such a trial against a former president is constitutional. Democrats, as well as several prominent legal scholars, have argued that it is clearly appropriate under the Constitution, while Trump’s defense and allies have contended it is not.

The prosecution is expected to lay out its argument on Wednesday and Thursday, showing how the Jan. 6 attack was a culmination of Trump’s monthslong incitement. The following days will include a presentation from Trump’s legal team, questions from senators, arguments on whether to subpoena witnesses or documents and closing arguments. A final vote on whether to convict Trump could come as early as Monday.

During their call with reporters, the aides said the impeachment managers planned to focus their arguments on Trump’s role in the attack and would not spend much time outside of Tuesday discussing constitutional intricacies.

The process will resemble a “violent crime criminal prosecution” more than a “constitutional convention,” according to one of the aides.

The prosecution’s presentation will attempt to show how Trump’s incessant lies about the election, including that it was “rigged” against him, and his weak response to the riot endangered then-Vice President Mike Pence, members of Congress and their staff, and law enforcement officials.

In an unlikely bid, the impeachment managers need to convince at least 17 Republican senators to join their Democratic counterparts in voting to convict Trump. Though some Republicans have condemned Trump’s rhetoric leading up to the Capitol attack, others have denied that it had any role in the violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/new-evidence-trump-impeachment-trial-151052427.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Impeach these violent little hussy's.....take away their pom poms and cheer letters....place them on suspension for promoting violence.....make an example of them!   CL 

It's their job to promote a contact sport.....Are suggesting the Capitol insurrection was a contact sport, or that Trump is a member of a teenage girl cheer squad....or both?  B)

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

It's their job to promote a contact sport.....Are suggesting the Capitol insurrection was a contact sport, or that Trump is a member of a teenage girl cheer squad....or both?  B)

GO RV, then BV

I don't usually see fights break out on the field or court during sporting events....contact sport or not....

These kids emploring their athletes to fight for a win are no different than Trump, or Biden, or any other politician asking voters to fight for a victory....

Now about Trump being a girlish teenage cheer leader....what was that picture Jeffery Epstein had hanging in his house all about?......

You know....the one of Bill Clinton laying on the couch wearing a blue dress.....hey...perhaps Wild Bill was actually a transgender pervert......😮

CL 

• Pow! 8

Politico

Trump was quite displeased with his impeachment defense team

01c914f0810fd8762f3871a6e5d3cbd8
Gabby Orr and Meridith McGraw
Tue, February 9, 2021, 12:57 PM

For former President Donald Trump, the opening day of his second impeachment trial did not go as planned or to his liking.

Cocooned at his Mar-a-Lago estate, Trump watched as his defense attorneys responded to an emotional presentation by House impeachment managers with a series of dry, technical and at times meandering arguments about due process and the constitutionality of the proceedings. As they droned on, he grew increasingly frustrated with the sharp contrast between their muted response and the prosecution’s opening salvo, according to two people familiar with his thinking.

"President Trump was not happy with the performance of his legal team in action,” said one of the people familiar with his thinking.

It didn’t help that his lead attorney, former Pennsylvania prosecutor Bruce Castor, name-checked Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), who just days ago slammed his state party for their “weird worship” of Trump. Castor also referred to Trump as the “former president,” conceding that he had in fact lost the 2020 election when he was removed by “smart” voters last November.

Trump, according to those familiar with his thinking, saw his legal team’s performance as a missed opportunity and also was annoyed by the public criticism of his attorneys. And he wasn’t the only one.

Some people close to the president’s defense team said they quit watching the proceedings out of sheer frustration with Castor’s presentation and were confused by his refusal to use graphics or a video––tools his TV-obsessed client had hoped to deploy.

At one point during Castor’s remarks, the right-wing network Newsmax––which Trump had been watching throughout the day, according to a person familiar with his viewing habits––cut away to a segment featuring the ex-president’s former impeachment attorney Alan Dershowitz.

“I have no idea what he is doing,” Dershowitz said of Castor, shaking his head dismissively. “The American people are entitled to an argument… but this, just, after all kinds of very strong presentations on the part of the House managers… it does not appear to me to be effective advocacy.”

Dershowitz’s assessment was later shared on Twitter by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fl.), a steadfast Trump ally who offered to resign from Congress last week to represent Trump himself.

“Explosive interview,” Gaetz said of the clip.

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, who met with GOP senators ahead of the trial to brief them on theories about its constitutionality, suggested Castor spent too much time focusing on extraneous arguments before arriving at the core of Trump’s defense.

“I am surprised by the exhaustion of so much time before addressing the concrete and compelling constitutional arguments,” Turley said in a text message. “They have a finite amount of time but you could not tell that this long opening.”

The decidedly frosty reaction from Trump and his allies mirrored the reviews that some GOP senators offered upon leaving the chamber. And it raised a variety of questions: would the ex-president demand an adjustment of strategy? Was he regretting not appearing himself? And, most intriguing, what would his offerings be if he still had a Twitter account?

Trump’s own attorneys seemed to concede that their presentation wasn’t quite on par with the one offered by the House impeachment managers, who used their time on the floor to remind senators of the harrowing scenes that took place on Capitol grounds with a dramatic video that juxtaposed Trump’s speech on Jan. 6 with his supporters violently breaking through security barriers and clashing with bloodied police officers.

“I'll be quite frank with you,” Castor said at one point, “we changed what we were going to do on account that we thought that the House managers' presentation was well-done. And I wanted you to know that we have responses to those things.”

According to initial plans for the trial, Trump attorney David Schoen was expected to begin arguments. But an aide to Trump said that, at the last minute, they decided to let Castor go first as part of a “very clear, deliberative strategy.”

“This is about lowering the temperature from the Democrats’ emotionally charged opening argument before dropping the hammer on the unconstitutional nature of this impeachment witch hunt,” the aide said.

Despite the rockiness of the presentation and the bad reviews for it, only one Republican senator seemed swayed by the proceedings. Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., who initially voted that the trial was unconstitutional because it involved a former president, changed his mind on Tuesday, joining only five other Republicans to affirm the constitutionality of the impeachment trial. The Senate will move ahead with the trial on Wednesday afternoon.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-quite-displeased-impeachment-defense-175750310.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Associated Press

GOP senator flips on impeachment trial, rips Trump lawyers

602201175aec9a25dc3029aa_o_U_v2.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.
  •  
MELINDA DESLATTE
Tue, February 9, 2021, 7:15 PM

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana joined Democrats in voting against ending Donald Trump's impeachment trial Tuesday, a surprise reversal that Cassidy said was a response to the former president's lawyers doing “a terrible job” of arguing their case.

Cassidy was among six Republican senators who sided with Democrats on the question of whether a former president can be tried after leaving office. The Louisiana senator's position was a switch from January, when he voted to end the proceedings on the grounds that they were unconstitutional.

The vote drew swift criticism from Republicans in the senator's deeply conservative state. But Cassidy said Trump's attorneys didn't make their case. While the Democrats' impeachment managers were “focused, they were organized,” relying on precedent and legal scholars, Trump's team “was disorganized, random, had nothing," he said.

"They talked about many things, but they didn't talk about the issue at hand," Cassidy said after the vote.

Still, the senator said his decision to move ahead with the trial shouldn't be taken as a sign he will later vote to convict the former president. In recent calls with reporters, including one Tuesday morning, Cassidy has refused to say whether he believes Trump committed an impeachable offense.

“I have not yet decided on how I will vote,” he said.

Trump is the first president to face impeachment charges after leaving office. The House accused him of inciting an insurrection for his role in the Jan 6. siege on the U.S. Capitol. Hundreds of rioters ransacked the building to try to stop the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s victory, a domestic attack on the nation’s seat of government unlike any in its history. Five people died.

The Republican Party of Louisiana quickly issued a statement Tuesday criticizing Cassidy for his vote and praising Louisiana's junior GOP senator, John Kennedy, for voting against moving ahead with the impeachment trial. The Louisiana GOP said it was “profoundly disappointed” by Cassidy's vote.

“We feel that an impeachment trial of a private citizen is not only an unconstitutional act, but also an attack on the very foundation of American democracy, which will have far reaching and unforeseen consequences for our republic,” the party's statement said.

Republican Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana said he was “surprised” by Cassidy’s vote and suggested it was causing a stir in their ruby red state.

“I have not spoken to him, but I can tell you a lot of people from back home are calling me about it right now," Johnson said.

Cassidy won reelection this fall to a six-year term, giving him some time to make amends with his party. But he's already received criticism for accepting the Electoral College vote for Biden and for acknowledging the Democratic president's victory weeks ahead of many of his colleagues.

A local Republican women's club sent Cassidy a letter in December telling him they felt “betrayed” after he declared Biden had won the presidential election.

Kennedy, who is up for reelection next year, has issued statements panning the impeachment trial as unconstitutional and calling it "a thinly veiled effort by the uber-elites in our country, who look down on most Americans, to denigrate further those people who chose to vote for President Trump and not vote for President Biden.”

___

AP Congressional Correspondent Lisa Mascaro in Washington contributed to this report.

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-senator-flips-impeachment-trial-001545218.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

HuffPost

Senate Votes To Affirm Constitutionality Of Trying A Former President

Igor Bobic
·Politics Reporter, HuffPost
Tue, February 9, 2021, 5:12 PM

The Senate on Tuesday affirmed the constitutionality of Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial over the objections of his legal team, which contended that moving forward with the proceedings would be unconstitutional.

Six Republicans joined every Democrat in voting, 56-44, to sustain the trial. Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who voted to dismiss the trial last month, reversed his stance and joined GOP Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Mitt Romney (Utah), Ben Sasse (Neb.), Pat Toomey (Pa.) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) in breaking with the party to move forward with the trial.

A number of Republicans were critical of the Trump team’s arguments. Still, the result bodes poorly for Trump’s ultimate conviction, which will need a two-thirds vote in the Senate.

Bruce Castor, Trump’s lead attorney, said after the proceedings that he was unconcerned about criticism of his presentation or the fact that an additional Republican voted to go ahead with the trial.

“I don’t think anything of it,” Castor said. “If it leaks down to 34, then I’ll start to worry.”

The trial opened shortly after noon with a graphic and emotional video shown by House impeachment managers of the assault on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 that resulted in the deaths of five people, including a Capitol Police officer. The 13-minute video montage was spliced with statements from Trump before and during the riot urging his supporters to “fight” to overturn the certification of the 2020 election in Congress.

House impeachment managers then argued on behalf of the constitutionality of holding an impeachment trial for a former president. They pointed to previous Senate trials of former government officials and warned that not holding Trump accountable in this case would set a precedent for future presidents to commit high crimes and misdemeanors at the very end of their term and escape consequences.

“You don’t need to be a constitutional scholar to know the argument President Trump asks you to adopt is not just wrong, it’s dangerous,” Rep. Joe Neguse (D-Colo.) said, adding: “There is no January exception to the impeachment power, that presidents can’t commit grave offenses in their final days and escape any congressional response.”

Trump lawyer David Schoen, meanwhile, argued that “only a sitting president may be impeached, convicted and removed.”

“Presidents are impeachable because presidents are removable. Former presidents are not,” Schoen added.

But the House impeached Trump while he was still president. Moreover, the Senate in the late 19th century held a trial for William W. Belknap, a corrupt Secretary of War, after he had already resigned. Trump’s lawyers did not address those two points in their opening arguments on Tuesday.

Scores of constitutional scholars have sided with the House managers on the question of trying a former president, including conservative lawyer Chuck Cooper.

Some Republican senators were critical of Castor’s presentation in particular, even if most of them ultimately voted to dismiss the trial.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas said the Trump attorney “just rambled on and on and on and didn’t really address the constitutional argument,” adding that his speech was “not one of the finest” he had seen.

Murkowski, one of the six GOP senators who voted to sustain the trial, said she couldn’t figure out where Castor was going. “I don’t think he helped with us better understanding where he was coming from on the constitutionality of this.”

Collins also said she was “perplexed” by the presentation.

“It did not seem to make any arguments at all, which was an unusual approach to take,” she added.

But Cassidy seemed to be the most disappointed with Trump’s team. He called their presentation “disorganized” and said it was “almost like they were embarrassed” to weigh in on the constitutionality of the trial. The Louisiana Republican said the House managers presented a “compelling” argument and credited them with citing precedent, the Constitution, and legal scholars.

“The other side is doing a terrible job on the issue at hand. As an impartial juror, I’m going to vote for the side that did the good job,” Cassidy said.

Cassidy’s vote did not sit well with the Louisiana Republican Party, which quickly issued a statement saying they were “profoundly disappointed” with the senator.

https://news.yahoo.com/impeachment-trial-trump-senate-221248679.html

Now that the impeachment has been voted on and deemed constitutional....it's the job of every standing U.S. senator to judge the 2nd impeachment trial on the merits of the evidence presented.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Yahoo TV

CNN and Fox News agree that Trump impeachment lawyer was terrible: 'It was awful'

Stephen Proctor
Wed, February 10, 2021, 3:49 AM

In a rare moment, CNN hosts came together with Fox News hosts and Republican lawmakers in agreement over former President Donald Trump’s legal team’s less-than-impressive first day of the impeachment trial. Most of the ire was directed at Bruce Castor, who opened the day for the defense. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), who initially voted against the constitutionality of a second impeachment, switched his vote Tuesday, citing the poor performance by Trump’s team, calling them disorganized.

“I mean,” CNN’s Anderson Cooper said, “I’ve heard drunk wedding speeches which have been more organized than some of what we heard today.”

CNN’s Chris Cuomo said that Trump got the “pathetic” defense he deserves, and as he was handing off to Don Lemon for CNN Tonight, Lemon’s first words were about Castor.

“I gotta tell ya, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Lemon said. “I was stunned by the Trump lawyer’s performance. Just stunned. It was awful. Let’s be honest, it was awful.”

One of Trump’s other impeachment lawyers, David Schoen, appeared on Fox News’s Hannity, where Sean Hannity couldn’t help but give his thoughts on Castor’s performance.

“I thought it started a little meandering,” Hannity said. “It was sort of like a lot of free association in the beginning. And I’m not attacking your partner, I don’t know him at all, but I like focused arguments.”

As Hannity was handing off to Laura Ingraham, just seconds after the exchange between Lemon and Cuomo, Ingraham may have had the harshest criticism.

“It was terrible,” Ingraham said. “I’m sorry, it was…” “Extemporaneous,” Hannity broke in. “You’re way too charitable,” Ingraham responded. “If you hired that guy in a case that you are paying the bills on, it would've been like, ‘I’m sure you're a nice person, but enough praise towards the Democrats.’” Hannity added, “I was a little nervous in the beginning.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-fox-news-agree-trump-impeachment-lawyer-terrible-awful-084908380.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:
Yahoo TV

CNN and Fox News agree that Trump impeachment lawyer was terrible: 'It was awful'

Stephen Proctor
Wed, February 10, 2021, 3:49 AM

In a rare moment, CNN hosts came together with Fox News hosts and Republican lawmakers in agreement over former President Donald Trump’s legal team’s less-than-impressive first day of the impeachment trial. Most of the ire was directed at Bruce Castor, who opened the day for the defense. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), who initially voted against the constitutionality of a second impeachment, switched his vote Tuesday, citing the poor performance by Trump’s team, calling them disorganized.

“I mean,” CNN’s Anderson Cooper said, “I’ve heard drunk wedding speeches which have been more organized than some of what we heard today.”

CNN’s Chris Cuomo said that Trump got the “pathetic” defense he deserves, and as he was handing off to Don Lemon for CNN Tonight, Lemon’s first words were about Castor.

“I gotta tell ya, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Lemon said. “I was stunned by the Trump lawyer’s performance. Just stunned. It was awful. Let’s be honest, it was awful.”

One of Trump’s other impeachment lawyers, David Schoen, appeared on Fox News’s Hannity, where Sean Hannity couldn’t help but give his thoughts on Castor’s performance.

“I thought it started a little meandering,” Hannity said. “It was sort of like a lot of free association in the beginning. And I’m not attacking your partner, I don’t know him at all, but I like focused arguments.”

As Hannity was handing off to Laura Ingraham, just seconds after the exchange between Lemon and Cuomo, Ingraham may have had the harshest criticism.

“It was terrible,” Ingraham said. “I’m sorry, it was…” “Extemporaneous,” Hannity broke in. “You’re way too charitable,” Ingraham responded. “If you hired that guy in a case that you are paying the bills on, it would've been like, ‘I’m sure you're a nice person, but enough praise towards the Democrats.’” Hannity added, “I was a little nervous in the beginning.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-fox-news-agree-trump-impeachment-lawyer-terrible-awful-084908380.html

GO RV, then BV

It was terrible.....

There still is no path to a successful 2nd impeachment!    CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Associated Press

Senators to hear opening arguments as Trump fumes over trial

• Members of the national guard patrol the area outside of the U.S. Capitol during the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump at Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

Trump Impeachment

Members of the national guard patrol the area outside of the U.S. Capitol during the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump at Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

LISA MASCARO, ERIC TUCKER, MARY CLARE JALONICK and JILL COLVIN
Wed, February 10, 2021, 12:54 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) — Opening arguments begin Wednesday in Donald Trump's impeachment trial after an emotional first day that wrenched senators and the nation back to the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Trump’s attorneys sought to halt the trial on constitutional grounds, but lost that bid on Tuesday. Their arguments were meandering at times, leaving Trump fuming over his lawyers’ performance and allies questioning the defense strategy. Some called for yet another shakeup to his legal team.

House Democratic prosecutors are seeking to link Trump directly to the riot that left five people dead, replaying videos of the rioters trying to stop the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s victory and Trump’s statements urging them to fight the election results.

On Wednesday, they plan to use Capitol security footage that hasn’t been publicly released before as they argue that Trump incited the insurrection, according to Democratic aides working on the case.

Senators, many of whom fled for safety the day of the attack, watched Tuesday's graphic videos of the Trump supporters who battled past police to storm the halls, Trump flags waving. More video is expected Wednesday, including some that hasn't been seen before.

Trump is the first president to face an impeachment trial after leaving office and the first to be twice impeached. The riot followed a rally during which Trump urged his supporters to “fight like hell,” words his lawyers say were simply a figure of speech. He is charged with “incitement of insurrection.”

“That’s a high crime and misdemeanor,” Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., declared in opening remarks. “If that’s not an impeachable offense, then there’s no such thing.”

On Wednesday and into Thursday, the managers plan to tell a “succinct” story, according to the aides, who were granted anonymity to discuss the upcoming arguments. They will start with Trump's false claims that there was massive election fraud and build to the Jan. 6 riots as a “culmination” of his efforts to overturn his defeat.

The Democrats will argue that Trump inflamed and encouraged groups that had violent backgrounds, the aides say, and they will show how much worse it could have been. The aides said they will use the new Capitol security footage to make that case, but did not describe it.

Security remains extremely tight at the Capitol, fenced off with razor wire and patrolled by National Guard troops.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden would not be watching the trial.

“Joe Biden is the president, he’s not a pundit, he’s not going to opine on back and forth arguments,” she said.

The House impeachment managers described police officers maimed in the chaos and rioters parading in the very chamber where the trial was being held. Trump’s team countered that the Constitution doesn’t allow impeachment at this late date.

That’s a legal issue that could resonate with Senate Republicans eager to acquit Trump without being seen as condoning his behavior.

Lead defense lawyer Bruce Castor said he shifted his planned approach after hearing the prosecutors’ emotional opening and instead spoke conversationally to the senators, saying Trump’s team would denounce the “repugnant” attack and “in the strongest possible way denounce the rioters.” He appealed to the senators as “patriots first,” and encouraged them to be “cool headed” as they assessed the arguments.

Trump attorney David Schoen turned the trial toward starkly partisan tones, arguing the Democrats were fueled by a “base hatred” of the former president.

Republicans made it clear that they were unhappy with Trump’s defense, many of them saying they didn’t understand where it was going — particularly Castor’s opening. Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy, who voted with Democrats to move forward with the trial, said that Trump’s team did a “terrible job.” Maine Sen. Susan Collins, who also voted with Democrats, said she was “perplexed.” Sen. Lisa Murkowki of Alaska said it was a “missed opportunity” for the defense.

Six Republicans joined with Democrats to vote to proceed with the trial, but the 56-44 vote was far from the two-thirds threshold of 67 votes that would be needed for conviction.

At one pivotal point, Raskin told his personal story of bringing his family to the Capitol that day to witness the certification of the Electoral College vote, only to have his daughter and son-in-law hiding in an office, fearing for their lives.

“Senators, this cannot be our future,” Raskin said through tears. “This cannot be the future of America.”

The House prosecutors had argued there is no “January exception” for a president to avoid impeachment on his way out the door. Rep. Joe Neguse, D-Colo., referred to the corruption case of William Belknap, a war secretary in the Grant administration, who was impeached, tried and ultimately acquitted by the Senate after leaving office.

If Congress stands by, “it would invite future presidents to use their power without any fear of accountability," he said.

It appears unlikely that the House prosecutors will call witnesses, and Trump has declined a request to testify. The trial is expected to continue into the weekend.

Trump's second impeachment trial is expected to diverge from the lengthy, complicated affair of a year ago. In that case, Trump was charged with having privately pressured Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden, then a Democratic rival for the presidency.

This time, Trump's “stop the steal” rally rhetoric and the storming of the Capitol played out for the world to see.

The Democratic-led House impeached the president swiftly, one week after the attack.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senators-hear-opening-arguments-trump-055435813.html

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1

The Independent

Trump impeachment trial – live: Unseen security footage to be shown as Democrats say ‘we have the goods’

Joe Middleton
Wed, February 10, 2021, 10:12 AM

The impeachment trial of Donald Trump will move forward after the Senate vote on Tuesday (EPA-EFE)
The impeachment trial of Donald Trump will move forward after the Senate vote on Tuesday (EPA-EFE)

One of Donald Trump's impeachment lawyers has criticised the footage played to senators on Tuesday, calling it a "hoax'" and "manufactured."

During the impeachment trial on Tuesday - in which Republicans joined Democrats in a 56 to 44 vote that ruled his second trial is constitutional and can move forward - a jarring 14-minute clip was presented of the mob attacking the Capitol, spliced with comments from Mr Trump.

David Schoen, who was criticised for his lacklustre performance yesterday, told Sean Hannity on Fox News that is was easy to "show spliced and manufactured films" and that the footage was a "hoax."

It comes as Mitch McConnell has reportedly told Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump is a "matter of conscience" and that he has not yet made his mind up on how to vote, as reported by Bloomberg.

The trial is set to resume on Wednesday against Mr Trump on the charge of "incitement of insurrection", with each side having 16 hours to present their case.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-impeachment-trial-live-lawyers-075727825.html

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:
The Independent

Trump impeachment trial – live: Unseen security footage to be shown as Democrats say ‘we have the goods’

Joe Middleton
Wed, February 10, 2021, 10:12 AM

One of Donald Trump's impeachment lawyers has criticised the footage played to senators on Tuesday, calling it a "hoax'" and "manufactured."

During the impeachment trial on Tuesday - in which Republicans joined Democrats in a 56 to 44 vote that ruled his second trial is constitutional and can move forward - a jarring 14-minute clip was presented of the mob attacking the Capitol, spliced with comments from Mr Trump.

David Schoen, who was criticised for his lacklustre performance yesterday, told Sean Hannity on Fox News that is was easy to "show spliced and manufactured films" and that the footage was a "hoax."

It comes as Mitch McConnell has reportedly told Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump is a "matter of conscience" and that he has not yet made his mind up on how to vote, as reported by Bloomberg.

The trial is set to resume on Wednesday against Mr Trump on the charge of "incitement of insurrection", with each side having 16 hours to present their case.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-impeachment-trial-live-lawyers-075727825.html

GO RV, then BV

Hope the "proof" elevates itself above the garbage of Shifty Schshift....(that we never saw)....talk is cheap.....show us something real....    CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

National Review

McConnell Declines to Whip Votes for Trump, Remains Undecided on Conviction: Report

Brittany Bernstein
Wed, February 10, 2021, 7:59 AM

697c146928d3471f738add40690ffdcb

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has reportedly suggested to his Republican colleagues that voting whether to convict former President Donald Trump of “inciting an insurrection” is a matter of conscience and need not align with senators’ earlier votes to dispute the constitutionality of the trial.

Sources reportedly told Bloomberg that McConnell has not yet decided how he will vote, although he voted that the Senate hearing for the 45th president is unconstitutional on Tuesday.

During Trump’s first impeachment trial, the Kentucky Republican said he did not consider himself an impartial juror. However, in the time since, many Republicans have distanced themselves from the former president following months of rhetoric from Trump that the 2020 presidential election was rigged.

Trump’s comments, which Democrats claim led to the eventual storming of the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob on January 6, led the House to pass a single article of impeachment: “inciting an insurrection.”

However, even with the shifting dynamics in Congress and the Republican party, it is still unlikely that the Senate will vote to convict Trump. The chamber is evenly divided 50-50 and a two-thirds majority is required to convict.

At least 17 Republicans would need to vote along with every Democratic senator, though just six GOP senators on Tuesday voted to support the constitutionality of the trial.

In a leadership meeting Monday night, the Senate minority leader reportedly said the same things he has said publicly, a source told Bloomberg.

Last month McConnell blamed Trump and other “powerful people” for provoking the rioters who amassed at the Capitol.

“The last time the Senate convened, we had just reclaimed the Capitol from violent criminals, who tried to stop Congress from doing our duty,” he said in a speech on the Senate floor. “The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people. And they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government that they did not like.”

Reports last month indicated McConnell was pleased with Democrats’ impeachment effort, though he had not yet determined whether he will vote to convict.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-declines-whip-votes-trump-125900111.html

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1