Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Senate Republicans Block Plans To Make Elections More Secure From Foreign Interference

Senate Republicans block plans to make elections more secure from foreign interference

Alex Woodward  The IndependentFebruary 12, 2020
Getty Images
Getty Images

Republicans in the US Senate have blocked the passage of several election security measures that would require campaigns to alert federal authorities about foreign influence and ban voting machines from connecting to the internet.

As part of the Senate's procedure, Democrats sought "unanimous consent" to bring the measures to the body, meaning any one opponent could effectively end the bills' passage just nine months from contentious 2020 federal elections.

On Tuesday, Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn opposed the requests, accusing Democrats of using the measures as a fundraising effort to attack Republicans knowing that they would prevent their passage.

The move follows Donald Trump's apparent intervention in the sentencing of former adviser Roger Stone and the resignation of four federal prosecutors from the case after the Justice Department reversed course, which Democrats say was at the urging of the president.

Recently emboldened by his acquittal in the Senate impeachment trial after being charged with pressuring Ukraine to collect politically damaging information on his opponent Joe Biden, the president congratulated his attorney general William Barr for "taking charge of a case that was totally out of control and perhaps should not have even been brought".

Two of the latest bills to face a roadblock by Senate Republicans would require campaigns to report offers of foreign assistance to the Federal Election Commission and the FBI, while the SAFE Act proposes prohibiting voting machines from being connected to the internet or being produced in foreign countries.

Their introduction to the upper chamber of Congress follows a Senate Intelligence Committee report investigating 2016 election interference, revealing how poorly postured US elections are against Russian-backed manipulation, warning that have largely been ignored by Republicans.

Democrats have accused Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of burying Democrat-backed bills in his "legislative graveyard" and "refusing to take action on critical legislation that already has bipartisan support" last fall. A stack of 250 bills languished on Mr McConnell's desk late last year, including nine election security bills.

His coordinated roadblock earned him the nickname "Moscow Mitch".

"Once again, Senate Republicans, afraid of the wrath of President Trump and Senator McConnell, blocked our efforts", said Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. "We'll see if our Republican friends are willing to stand up and do what's necessary to protect elections, something that Americans have died for over the centuries."

Roger Stone was found guilty of lying to Congress and tampering with witnesses as politicians investigated whether he sought foreign support to access hacked Democrat emails in the 2016 election as a campaign adviser to Mr Trump.

Following the Justice Department's recommendation for a seven-to-nine-year sentence, the president called the sentence "horrible" and "unfair" and a "miscarriage of justice" hours before the department reversed course.

Democrats have demanded that the inspector general open an investigation into the president's actions.

https://news.yahoo.com/senate-republicans-block-plans-elections-174324288.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 4

Really.....what is this delusional clown show......reading the article.......is there any logic to it.......does it make any sense....what politician in their right mind would want less secure elections........pure BS.....just another MSM hit peice on the right.     CL

Edited by coorslite21
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Really.....what is this delusional clown show......reading the article.......is there any logic to it.......does it make any sense....what politician in their right mind would want less secure elections........pure BS.....just another MSM hit peice on the right.     CL

The only logic is Republicans can't take the chance of handing the Democrats a win with the American public, so they must block it....which in turn still gives the Dems a win anyway and makes the GOP look vindictive.  As always, just my opinion.  And the loser ends up being our election system.  

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Yeah more fake news...  Like in August when they blocked funding for election security... I'm sure that official vote count is fake too...

What a mess...

B/A

More delusion....another dog faced pony soldier type post...

Gotta love that Biden.....he sure has a way with words......

How about a link to your latest revelation......there was a bill for funding for election security?......correct.....and the right blocked it?......what was the rest of the story.....what else was in the bill?.........do you know.....or care......or is it just alright to assume.......and we all know how that goes....   CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

More delusion....another dog faced pony soldier type post...

Gotta love that Biden.....he sure has a way with words......

How about a link to your latest revelation......there was a bill for funding for election security?......correct.....and the right blocked it?......what was the rest of the story.....what else was in the bill?.........do you know.....or care......or is it just alright to assume.......and we all know how that goes....   CL

You can't tell me you are unaware of the bi-partisan bill blocked the republicans? I thought you were better read than that.

B/A 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, bostonangler said:

You can't tell me you are unaware of the bi-partisan bill blocked the republicans? I thought you were better read than that.

B/A 

Fill me in Tonto......what all was in the bill......which "adds".....formally called ear Mark's were included......I know....do you?.....keep it factual and you and I will get along great.....but if all you are here to do is spread innuendo and falsehoods.....you need to be called on that......

In the past you've posted some great stuff......go back to being great... instead of just being a political hack!    JMO.    CL

• Thanks 3

CL....for your reading enjoyment.....It appears it wasn't so Bipartisan after all.

Bipartisan Agreement on Election Security—And a Partisan Fight Anyway

https://www.lawfareblog.com/bipartisan-agreement-election-security-and-partisan-fight-anyway

It is not a complete surprise that the week of Robert Mueller’s testimony before the House of Representatives would devolve into a pitched battle over election security. Everything is partisan these days. Why not election security? In the wake of Mueller’s testimony, Democrats sought to use the moment to push election security legislation, thus putting pressure on Republican senators to support it or look like they weren’t taking the threat seriously. And Republicans held out, thus creating a sharp partisan divide over the one part of the Trump-Russia issue over which everyone purports to agree.

or this one....it appears the left just didn't get their way again.

McConnell, Decried As 'Moscow Mitch,' Approves Election Security Money

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/762499808/senate-breaks-logjam-on-election-security-cash-but-activists-say-more-is-needed

Senators thawed a long-frozen dispute over election security this week with an agreement to provide more funding ahead of Election Day next year — but not as much as some Democrats and outside activists say is necessary.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., agreed to add $250 million for election security after having held up earlier legislation.

Karsten

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

Fill me in Tonto

Translations of tonto

noun

silly
tonto, bobo, majadero, mentecato, memo

fool
tonto, necio, idiota, imbécil, bufón, bobo

stupid
tonto, imbécil, bobo

:o   :o   :o

Say it isn't SO, CoorsLite21!!!

Well, OK, I VERY much agree with Your assessment!!!

Thank You!!!

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

If we had voter I.D, dead people that didn't vote, machines that were secure, House Democrats that did not try to sway the people with the dog and pony show we have seen for the last 3 years, we would not need more money thrown at a problem that should not be in the first place. 

Open borders and driver licenses to illegal immigrants don't help either. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Synopsis said:

Translations of tonto

noun

silly
tonto, bobo, majadero, mentecato, memo

fool
tonto, necio, idiota, imbécil, bufón, bobo

stupid
tonto, imbécil, bobo

:o   :o   :o

Say it isn't SO, CoorsLite21!!!

Well, OK, I VERY much agree with Your assessment!!!

Thank You!!!

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

No.....that wasn't the intent...  you might be too young to remember the Lone Ranger....his side kick was a Native American.....Tonto.....kind of goes with the Biden phrase..."dog faced pony soldier" concept.......

ow think of the joke.......why did the Lone Ranger shoot Tonto?.......

Punch line......he found out Key- Moe-Sabbe ment.........&%$#&

CL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Karsten said:

CL....for your reading enjoyment.....It appears it wasn't so Bipartisan after all.

Bipartisan Agreement on Election Security—And a Partisan Fight Anyway

https://www.lawfareblog.com/bipartisan-agreement-election-security-and-partisan-fight-anyway

It is not a complete surprise that the week of Robert Mueller’s testimony before the House of Representatives would devolve into a pitched battle over election security. Everything is partisan these days. Why not election security? In the wake of Mueller’s testimony, Democrats sought to use the moment to push election security legislation, thus putting pressure on Republican senators to support system" rel="">support it or look like they weren’t taking the threat seriously. And Republicans held out, thus creating a sharp partisan divide over the one part of the Trump-Russia issue over which everyone purports to agree.

or this one....it appears the left just didn't get their way again.

McConnell, Decried As 'Moscow Mitch,' Approves Election Security Money

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/762499808/senate-breaks-logjam-on-election-security-cash-but-activists-say-more-is-needed

Senators thawed a long-frozen dispute over election security this week with an agreement to provide more funding ahead of Election Day next year — but not as much as some Democrats and outside activists say is necessary.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., agreed to add $250 million for election security after having held up earlier legislation.

Karsten

Perfect!....      CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

No.....that wasn't the intent...  you might be too young to remember the Lone Ranger....his side kick was a Native American.....Tonto.....kind of goes with the Biden phrase..."dog faced pony soldier" concept.......

ow think of the joke.......why did the Lone Ranger shoot Tonto?.......

Punch line......he found out Key- Moe-Sabbe ment.........&%$#&

CL

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Maybe. I did watch the Lone Ranger, though. The Lone Ranger was one of the few of my heroes as a kid.

"Tonto" may have had an alternate meaning, even one of honor, although the seemingly textbook definition of the fictional TV Series is more aligned with my perspective. My perspective in later years is "Tonto" is a slur on the Native Americans in that context as unquestioningly loyal and subservient while yet being valued. I wouldn't name or term a Native American "Tonto" today even if other's, even Native Americans, termed a Native American "Tonto".

What does Tonto mean in Comanche?
Tonto is a fictional character; he is the American Indian (either Comanche or Potawatomi) companion of the Lone Ranger, a popular American Western character created by George W. Trendle and Fran Striker. ... In Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, "tonto" translates as "a dumb person", "moron", or "fool".

Tonto - Wikipedia

Tonto is a state, typically a chosen state. A compassionate and caring individual intervenes in such circumstances and is what I understood Your approach to be in the noted use of the term "Tonto".

From Your Punch Line, "Tonto" was more understanding than perceived and put to better use the "friendly" "terms" in "exchange" although, likely, inappropriate to term You Key- Moe-Sabbe.

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

What is a pony soldier definition?
Pony Soldier is a 1952 American Technicolor Northern Western set in Canada but filmed in Sedona, Arizona. It is based on a 1951 Saturday Evening Post story "Mounted Patrol" by Garnett Weston. It was retitled MacDonald of the Canadian Mounties in Britain and The Last Arrow in France and Spain.

What is a dog faced soldier?
Dogface refers to a U.S. Army foot soldier serving in the infantry, especially in World War II.

What is a dragoon soldier?
Dragoon, in late 16th-century Europe, a mounted soldier who fought as a light cavalryman on attack and as a dismounted infantryman on defense. The terms derived from his weapon, a species of carbine or short musket called the dragoon.

If I understand correctly, dragoon was also a term for US Calvary capable of fighting Native Americans from horseback or on foot.

In this respect, Creepy Joe Biden may have intended to clearly portray the "adoring" "heckler" as a made for TV series of an individual who can neither succeed delivering effective jabs or have a meaningful intellectual conversation.

But, hey, what do I know being young and dumb and seemingly uncaring?

I very much appreciate Your addresses being desperately necessary to foster individual and corporate well being although not understood as compassionate intervention by the keyboard combatants.

Thank You, CoorsLite21!
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2