Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

78 years ago today

I know I am a few hours early but this day has been a big study for me and I want to be sure I got it in on time. 

December 7 1941. A date which will live in infamy

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Background

On Sunday morning, December 7, 1941, the American Army and Navy base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was attacked by the Imperial Japanese Navy. The attack came as a surprise to the American Army and Navy and lead to great losses of life and equipment. More than 2000 American citizens were killed and more than 1000 were injured. The Americans also lost a large proportion of their battle ships and nearly 200 aircraft that were stationed in the Pacific region. More than 60 Japanese servicemen were killed, injured or captured. The Japanese Navy also lost five midget submarines and 29 aircraft.

The Japanese military had hoped that the attack on Pearl Harbor would prevent the United States of America from increasing her influence in the Pacific. However, the events in Pearl Harbor actually led to the escalation of World War II. The day after the attack, the United States declared war on Japan and so entered World War II. President Franklin Roosevelt in a speech to Congress stated that the bombing of Pearl Harbor was “a date which will live in infamy”. Shortly afterwards, Germany also declared war on the United States. In the months that followed the attack, the slogan “Remember Pearl Harbor” swept the United States and radio stations repeatedly played a song of the same name.

In 1991, which marked the 50th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States Congress established the Pearl Harbor Commemorative Medal. This is also known as the Pearl Harbor Survivor's Medal and can be awarded to any veteran of the United States military who were present in or around Pearl Harbor during the attack by the Japanese military. The medal can be awarded to civilians, who were killed or injured in the attack.

December 07

Pearl Harbor bombed

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II.

4-Pearl Harbor-Photo Gallery-GettyImages-2660129

With diplomatic negotiations with Japan breaking down, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his advisers knew that an imminent Japanese attack was probable, but nothing had been done to increase security at the important naval base at Pearl Harbor. It was Sunday morning, and many military personnel had been given passes to attend religious services off base. At 7:02 a.m., two radar operators spotted large groups of aircraft in flight toward the island from the north, but, with a flight of B-17s expected from the United States at the time, they were told to sound no alarm. Thus, the Japanese air assault came as a devastating surprise to the naval base.

Much of the Pacific fleet was rendered useless: Five of eight battleships, three destroyers, and seven other ships were sunk or severely damaged, and more than 200 aircraft were destroyed. A total of 2,400 Americans were killed and 1,200 were wounded, many while valiantly attempting to repulse the attack. Japan’s losses were some 30 planes, five midget submarines, and fewer than 100 men. Fortunately for the United States, all three Pacific fleet carriers were out at sea on training maneuvers. These giant aircraft carriers would have their revenge against Japan six months later at the Battle of Midway, reversing the tide against the previously invincible Japanese navy in a spectacular victory.

The day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, President Roosevelt appeared before a joint session of Congress and declared, “Yesterday, December 7, 1941–a date which will live in infamy–the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.” After a brief and forceful speech, he asked Congress to approve a resolution recognizing the state of war between the United States and Japan. The Senate voted for war against Japan by 82 to 0, and the House of Representatives approved the resolution by a vote of 388 to 1. The sole dissenter was Representative Jeannette Rankin of Montana, a devout pacifist who had also cast a dissenting vote against the U.S. entrance into World War I. Three days later, Germany and Italy declared war against the United States, and the U.S. government responded in kind.

The American contribution to the successful Allied war effort spanned four long years and cost more than 400,000 American lives.

:salute:

:praying:
  • Thanks 9

I have also been to Pearl Harbor and you are correct.  It is very humbling and a reminder that we must always be prepared to fight evil.  I might also suggest visiting the WWII Museum in New Orleans,.  It is outstanding.   Another Museum dedicated to the War in the Pacific is the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg Texas. ( hometown of Admiral Nimitz).  Fredericksburg is about 90 miles west of Austin Tx, in the hill country ( and wine country with over 50 wineries) of central Texas.  It is an excellent Museum but for me it got personal and was overwhelming.  My Father and uncle both served in the Pacific and I got very emotional seeing and reading all the exhibits.  The WWII Generation sacrificed so much to provide us and much of the world peace and freedom.  I will always honor the brave men who put on the uniform of our Armed Services that protect our Freedoms.  We must never forget the sacrifices they have made for our country.  Thank you for the article and reminder nstoolman1.  

• Thanks 8
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @nstoolman1. Getting to Pearl is on my list. I would give a big +1 on the Nimitz Museum as well. I have been to it quite a few times and have watched it expand over the years. It is a really nice place to visit. They actually have one of the midget subs that the Japanese used in the attack on Pearl.

• Thanks 1

OHHHH FREAKING RAAAAHHHH

USMC

I was stationed at KMCAS 1st Battalion 3rd Marine Division on the other side of the island. Most don't know that Kaneohe was 

attacked first because the Japanese attacked from the north and they were too cowardly to face Marine Corps fighter pilots 

in the air. Went to Pearl many many times and I will never forget the 1102 sailors still on-board the Arizona. The Japanese 

"woke a sleeping giant and filled him with resolve" and in returned we dropped not one but two atomic bombs on their azzes. 

MCB Hawaii Logo   Marine Corps Base Hawaii - The superior Installation for Warfighters

Remembering Dec. 7, 1941

By Press Release | | December 7, 2012

https://www.mcbhawaii.marines.mil/News/News-Article-Display/Article/539820/remembering-dec-7-1941/

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII --This morning, Marine Corps Base Hawaii will be honor the 18 sailors and two civilian contractors who died here Dec. 7, 1941.

Today marks the 71st anniversary of the Japanese attacks on Oahu. The annual Kaneohe Klipper Memorial Ceremony is scheduled this morning at Hangar 101 at 8 a.m.

On that day in 1941, aircraft of the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay. At 7:52 a.m., eight minutes before the attacks at Pearl Harbor, the quiet peace of that Sunday morning was shattered by the sudden rattling of strafing machine-gun fire and the explosions of bombs. Two waves of Japanese Zero aircraft assaulted the runway and hangars of the air station, destroying 27 of the 33 PBY Catalina aircraft on the ground.

By the time the dust settled, 18 sailors and two civilians had been killed; Hangar 101 was destroyed by fire, and all but three planes (out on patrol) were destroyed.

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/wars-and-events/world-war-ii/pearl-harbor-raid/attacks-on-airfields-and-aerial-combat/naval-air-station--kanoehe-bay--during-the-pearl-harbor-raid.html

1481125745631.jpg

1574361870670.jpg

1574364816492.jpg

1574362770261.jpg

1438291240137.jpg

1438291243647.jpg

PEARL HARBOR

Image result for pearl harbor attack

image.jpeg.42edee1468580f5a62573996be4c7be0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

OHHHH FREAKING RAAAAHHHH

USMC

I was stationed at KMCAS 1st Battalion 3rd Marine Division on the other side of the island. Most don't know that Kaneohe was 

attacked first because the Japanese attacked from the north and they were too cowardly to face Marine Corps fighter pilots 

in the air. Went to Pearl many many times and I will never forget the 1102 sailors still on-board the Arizona. The Japanese 

"woke a sleeping giant and filled him with resolve" and in returned we dropped not one but two atomic bombs on their azzes. 

MCB Hawaii Logo   Marine Corps Base Hawaii - The superior Installation for Warfighters

Remembering Dec. 7, 1941

By Press Release | | December 7, 2012

https://www.mcbhawaii.marines.mil/News/News-Article-Display/Article/539820/remembering-dec-7-1941/

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII --This morning, Marine Corps Base Hawaii will be honor the 18 sailors and two civilian contractors who died here Dec. 7, 1941.

Today marks the 71st anniversary of the Japanese attacks on Oahu. The annual Kaneohe Klipper Memorial Ceremony is scheduled this morning at Hangar 101 at 8 a.m.

On that day in 1941, aircraft of the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay. At 7:52 a.m., eight minutes before the attacks at Pearl Harbor, the quiet peace of that Sunday morning was shattered by the sudden rattling of strafing machine-gun fire and the explosions of bombs. Two waves of Japanese Zero aircraft assaulted the runway and hangars of the air station, destroying 27 of the 33 PBY Catalina aircraft on the ground.

By the time the dust settled, 18 sailors and two civilians had been killed; Hangar 101 was destroyed by fire, and all but three planes (out on patrol) were destroyed.

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/wars-and-events/world-war-ii/pearl-harbor-raid/attacks-on-airfields-and-aerial-combat/naval-air-station--kanoehe-bay--during-the-pearl-harbor-raid.html

1481125745631.jpg

1574361870670.jpg

1574364816492.jpg

1574362770261.jpg

1438291240137.jpg

1438291243647.jpg

PEARL HARBOR

image.jpeg.42edee1468580f5a62573996be4c7be0.jpeg