Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Houston floods: state of emergency declared as more rain expected

umbertino

Texas governor Greg Abbott declares state of disaster in nine counties as heavy rain hits infrastructure and leaves five dead

Associated Press in Houston

Tuesday 19 April 2016 09.15 BST

The governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, has declared a state of emergency in and around Houston after unprecedented flooding inundated homes, closed major highways and left at least five people dead in America’s fourth-largest city.

“This is the most I have ever seen in the state of Texas,” said Abbott as he declared a state of disaster in nine Texas counties. He said the flooding risks would remain for several days.

Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, said: “I regret anyone whose home is flooded again. There’s nothing I can say that’s going to ease your frustration. We certainly can’t control the weather.

“A lot of rain coming in a very short period of time, there’s nothing you can do.”

Heavy flooding has become nearly an annual event in the near sea-level city, where experts have long warned of the potential for disaster.

Flash flooding and more rain were possible on Tuesday, a day after water levels approached 50cm (20in) in some areas. Scores of subdivisions flooded, schools were closed, and power was knocked out to thousands of residents who were urged to shelter in their homes.

The Harris county chief administrator, Judge Ed Emmett, said two bodies were found in a vehicle that had been seen on traffic cameras driving around barricades and unsuccessfully attempting to navigate a flooded underpass.

Another person, believed to be a contractor with the city’s airport system, was found in a submerged vehicle not far from the airport. A fourth person, a truck driver, was found dead in his cab after encountering high water on a freeway service road.

In nearby Waller county, a man was found in a submerged vehicle, which investigators believed was caught in rushing water, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Several shelters were set up for people forced out of their homes. At least 1,000 people taken from apartment complexes in the north of the city and moved to a shopping mall were being ferried by bus to a shelter, Turner said.

Thousands of homes outside Houston were flooded, many for the first time, with at least 450 rescues being undertaken.

Experts say that, location aside, Houston’s “gumbo” soft soil, fast-growing population and consequent building boom make it vulnerable to high waters.

Some of the housing developments included adequate green space for water runoff, but not all, said Philip Bedient, an engineering professor at Rice University.

“Could we have engineered our way out of this?” Bedient said. “Only if we started talking about alterations 35 or 40 years ago.”

He said improving the monitoring of specific watersheds and flood-prone areas might give residents the extra time needed to take protective measures and possibly save lives.

“We can’t solve this flood problem in Houston. All we can do is a better job warning.”

2108.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
People work to rescue one of up to 70 stranded horses.
Photograph: Mark Mulligan/AP

3720.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
Residents are helped into a dump truck as they are evacuated from their homes.
Photograph: David J Phillip/AP

2000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
A man rescues an armadillo as Greens Bayou starts to crest its banks in Houston.
Photograph: Steve Gonzales/AP

umb's note: I do hope all our DV Members living in the area are safe  ( and their families)

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/19/houston-texas-state-of-emergency-deadly-floods

• Upvote 2

***///

This is so sad... our hearts are breaking to see The Great Republic of Texas going through this...

Our prayers are with you... we'll be here to help from here if needed in any way we can...

We know you'll all do what Texans do best...

keep The Faith, help eachother, stand fast in the face of adversity and fight to win.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

***///

This is so sad... our hearts are breaking to see The Great Republic of Texas going through this...

Our prayers are with you... we'll be here to help from here if needed in any way we can...

We know you'll all do what Texans do best...

keep The Faith, help eachother, stand fast in the face of adversity and fight to win.

Thanks Gals, great to know that the American people from other states are stepping up with their compassion and prayers.  It does help soothe the nerves.

With all the rain, and tornado like winds, my siding was damaged and my roof began to leak.  My bedroom is about to cave with this leak?, the backyard is saturated, won't hold much more? the rain has stopped for now, but more rain to come.  

• Upvote 3

Thanks to all of y'all ! I personally know the lady that owns the horse stables on Cypress Creek and while I have not yet talked to her I'm sure she has been busy. My wife works for HP and they are closed for the week due to flooding as well. Another friend of mine lost his tree nursery lock stock and barrel, including the structures and equipment. While my immediate family has escaped damage, I've already have been through this before in Tropical Storm Allison where I lost almost everything except our lves..... Floods really suck !

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, pattyangel said:

Thanks Gals, great to know that the American people from other states are stepping up with their compassion and prayers.  It does help soothe the nerves.

With all the rain, and tornado like winds, my siding was damaged and my roof began to leak.  My bedroom is about to cave with this leak?, the backyard is saturated, won't hold much more? the rain has stopped for now, but more rain to come.  

If you need anything please let me know...Hubby and I can be there next weekend to help ya with repairs! Please let me know!!!!

• Upvote 3

This is why I am here because why we all have strong opinions sometimes, never do we put someone's misfortune above our own ! And sometimes in life we lose ground, however we can't lose unless we lose everything, and as long as we have those who we hold dear to our hearts, we are not losers ! And I feel the same way about this damn dinar......we can't lose unless we lose everything ! Good fortune my friends !

• Upvote 1

Oh Snowglobe, thanks so much for your golden heart.  We are for now, drying out, and I have to grown sons on their way to help out.  I'm touched by your generosity to travel.  Never lose that kindness, and compassionate virtue... we need more people like you to show their Christ like actions.  :angel:

Thanks again my little kitty:D and thank Mr. Kitty

• Upvote 2

Praying for all of you affected by this flood. Patty - glad the boys are on the way to give a hand. I'd give a hand too if I was closer - Montana to Texas is a bit of a stretch - so best I can offer right now is a rosary...Goes for you too Texstorm (how appropriate is your name now!)

Snow - thanks for being you. 

• Upvote 2