Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The theft of Native Americans' land, in one animated map

The Machine

invasion_gif.gif

Disclaimer : before anyone gets insulted .... I didn't write this, don't complain to me about it.

American society has a remarkably short memory when it comes to past injustices, which is why there are somehow still people who think that Washington's professional football team should continue to be named after "the scalped head of a Native American, sold, like a pelt, for cash."

University of Georgia historian Claudio Saunt is looking to correct that, at least in the case of Europeans' violent seizing of Native Americans' land. To supplement his new book, West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776, Saunt created an interactive map showing the decline of Indian homelands from 1776 to 1887. Along with Slate's Rebecca Onion, he turned that map into a GIF, showing just how rapidly European-Americans took what amounted to over 1.5 billion acres

Blue areas were American Indian homelands, red ones reservations. To be clear, a lot of these boundaries are rough, and many treaties negotiated with tribes used vague area markers, which both makes mapping difficult and made it easier for the US government to increase its land gains. Even so, the rapidity of the transformation is astounding.

• Upvote 4

They just forgot to kick the injuns out of the country. Like they did with the Brits. 

that makes no sense what so ever they kicked british rule but not all the brits !! ......  all the early Americans were either British, Irish, Spanish, dutch etc. .......... so there's a good chance that about 20% of Americans could trace there ancestry back to British roots ....... Where do you think all these white people came from ?? (I'm sure the Indians were asking the same thing too )

I know there's about 70+ million Americans that claim to be Irish descendant's .......... Americans are a mix of cultures, there pretty much European hybrids at this stage.

I know some of you are going to slate me for that last comment but its true, It's not like i think any less of you guys were all human after all. and we all came from somewhere ....... and the majority of today's Americans are descended from Europe  ......... (and Mexico lol)  ...... so you didnt exactly kick the British out just the queen lol.

I read a study there a while ago stating that the native Americans were probably of Russian decent and when the continents split they were isolated in what is now Canada and north America

speaking of descendants ........ I recently did some more work on my family tree ...... I back as far as the year 770 AD for my family give or take 100 years or so it's starting to get a bit hazy.

Apparently I'm descended from The O'Manacháin clan who were chiefs of Ui Briuin na Sionna in the barony of Ballintober ....... If you haven't guessed already I'm Irish.

• Upvote 9

invasion_gif.gif

Disclaimer : before anyone gets insulted .... I didn't write this, don't complain to me about it.

American society has a remarkably short memory when it comes to past injustices, which is why there are somehow still people who think that Washington's professional football team should continue to be named after "the scalped head of a Native American, sold, like a pelt, for cash."

University of Georgia historian Claudio Saunt is looking to correct that, at least in the case of Europeans' violent seizing of Native Americans' land. To supplement his new book, West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776, Saunt created an interactive map showing the decline of Indian homelands from 1776 to 1887. Along with Slate's Rebecca Onion, he turned that map into a GIF, showing just how rapidly European-Americans took what amounted to over 1.5 billion acres

Blue areas were American Indian homelands, red ones reservations. To be clear, a lot of these boundaries are rough, and many treaties negotiated with tribes used vague area markers, which both makes mapping difficult and made it easier for the US government to increase its land gains. Even so, the rapidity of the transformation is astounding.

invasion_gif.gif

In his article, Mr. Holmes took extraordinary liberties. While it may be true in an extremely small sampling that the term "redskins" was applied in the manner he described, it was just that, a very small sampling. He's taking that small sampling and misapplying it very broadly across the whole country, and he's doing that recklessly just to sell a book.

The term "redskins" was primarily used as a descriptive term just as "whites", "blacks", & "yellows" were/are used to describe a set/race of people. Were/are the terms used prejoratively at times? Yes. But that is not the whole case, and in fact it is a very small part of history that has been blown wwwaaayyy out of proportion of its actual usage for personal gain.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting graphic Machine. As I have been carving eagles on "rods and staffs" (a rod is a short club like scepter...a staff is self explanatory) over the past few years to be gifted in honoring protocol ceremonies to Native American leaders I would like to say a couple of things about this. First, from the beginning of time there have been arguments/fights/betrayal/murder based on jealousy, greed or from just a plain cold blooded heart.

If you honestly look at global history you will see the rise and fall of empires and countries ....expansions of boundaries, reduction of boundaries...or in some cases elimination of lands held all together...and the near or complete extinction of a peoples culture/ heritage and even an entire race. As some would say from the time of Cain and Abel there has been the case made that even brothers don't get along if you let dark matters of the heart get in the way. Is anyone really "guiltless"? Not if you really do your research...man has been pushing his fellow man around all over the globe...oppressing or killing them often at will.

America may be somewhat unique as if it wasn't for the native population we European transplants probably would never have gotten a foothold in the Americas. But to say that the native population was living on a particular plot of land from the beginning of time would not be an accurate statement. One tribe would war against another tribe, fighting over better hunting grounds or just to count coup to improve the hunting skills of their young warriors. It would probably be a more accurate statement than any of us would want to admit by saying that we all have blood on our hands in one form or another.

The bottom line IMHO is to "stop the insanity" by not keep pointing fingers. I am many generations removed from my ancestors coming to America...yet I know I still have blood on my hands. What can I do about that? That is one reason I am attempting to honor and respect the native culture in any way I can..though I admit, I have much to learn...but how else can we constructively move on as a society? We each have a choice...to spend the rest of our life's disrespecting or hating one another...and risk passing those attitudes onto our kids, or to walk in love and forgiveness. We can't totally undo the past....but we can make choices about where we want to go as an individual in the future...and that is a personal decision we each have to make.

• Upvote 4

As for "the redskins" comment....I agree with you eastcreek...it's a term like white skin,black skin, etc...

Along those lines I know a Blackfoot Chief who is not offended by that teams name in the least...in fact he says the names that depict his native people he feels helps reminds folks of his culture.

The past is the past and one shouldn't dwell on it.

many native`s have went down the same road. 

the aborigines in australia, tribes in africa inuet  in russia , 

the mong in vietnam .  Progress is a bioch .

Hopefully one can learn from history and perhaps we can get it right the next time around.

Look what was created out of a pristine land of beautiful lakes and forest .

A concrete jungle of roads and citys filled with filth.  

hahahaha  good job fellas.

also Rod I consider you a freind and have the utmost respect for you.

But 1 Black foot chief`s does not represent or speak for the nations. His opinion is his own.

and besides the loss of a entire world and a end to a nations way of life , their language, their religion, their culture, their freedom

as this map represents is a little more then the stupid issue of a baseball team changing or not changing its name.

who really give a crap  seriously    

They just forgot to kick the injuns out of the country. Like they did with the Brits. 

typical washita ignorance 

We Winned! yay for US!

Yes canada has so much to be proud of when it comes to the way it has treated their native inhabitants .

Try  "won"  next time you wont sound so stupid 

• Upvote 4

But 1 Black foot chief`s does not represent or speak for the nations. His opinion is his own.

and besides the loss of a entire world and a end to a nations way of life , their language, their religion, their culture, their freedom

as this map represents is a little more then the stupid issue of a baseball team changing or not changing its name.

who really give a crap seriously.

Thanks dog...and the respect is mutual. As for my Blackfoot brother...yes...it is only ones man's opinion, and he has caught much flack from some of his friends foe his opinion. One minor correction my friend....it's the Washinton NFL team we are talkin' about...baseball is just 15 minutes of action "packed into" two hours of play!!! ;o)

One more thing....and I hope you know me well enough to know...I am still learning my friend...and "unlearning" a lot of what I was taught in public schools and by some opinionated folks. You and a few others on this forum are some folks I hope to sit down with and really talk post RV...I am all ears. :)

• Upvote 1

Native American Quotes

Tatanka_Lyotake.jpg
Sitting Bull - Lakota Sioux (1831 – 1890)
 Holy man and tribal chief

Each man is good in the sight of the Great Spirit. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows. Now we are poor but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights.  Sitting Bull - Lakota Sioux

They claim this mother of ours, the Earth, for their own use, and fence their neighbors away from her, and deface her with their buildings and their refuse. Sitting Bull - Lakota Sioux

The earth has received the embrace of the sun and we shall see the results of that love. Sitting Bull - Lakota Sioux

Chief_Quanah_Parker_of_the_Kwahadi_Coman

The White Man goes into his church and talks about Jesus. The Indian goes into his tipi and talks with Jesus. Quanah of the Comanche about the Native American Church which he founded.

Realize that we as human beings have been put on this earth for only a short time and that we must use this time to gain wisdom, knowledge, respect and the understanding for all human beings since we are all relatives. Cree Proverb.

black_elk.jpg

The first peace, which is the most important,
is that which comes within the souls of people
when they realize their relationship, their oneness,
with the universe and all its powers,
and when they realize that at the center of the universe
dwells the Great Spirit,
and that this center is really everywhere,
it is within each of us. 
Black Elk - Oglala Sioux

Luther_Standing_Bear.jpg Luther Standing Bear (1868–1939)

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and the winding streams with tangled growth, as 'wild'.

Only to the white man was nature a 'wilderness' and only to him was the land 'infested' with 'wild' animals and 'savage' people. To us it was tame.

Chief_Joseph_tinted_lantern_slideChief+J
Chief Joseph (1840–1904)

Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view and demand that they respect yours. 

"I clasped my father's hand and promised to do as he asked. A man who would not defend his father's grave is worse than a wild beast."

Iroquois_Indian_Basket_Seller,_oil_paint Iroquois basket seller
oil painting by Cornelius Krieghoff, 1860

"We thank the Moon and the stars, who give us their light when the Sun retires....

We thank the Great Spirit, incarnation of all kindness, who directs all things for the good of its children." Iroquois prayer

Chief_seattle.jpg

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle (1780 - 1866)

"Our religion is the traditions of our ancestors, the dream of our old men, given them by the great Spirit, and the visions of our sachems, and is written in the hearts of our people." 1887

Satanta.jpg

I love this land and the buffalo and will not part with it…I have heard you intend to settle us on a reservation near the mountains. I don't want to settle. I love to roam over the prairies. There I feel free and happy, but when we settle down we grow pale and die. A long time ago this land belonged to our fathers, but when I go up to the river I see camps of soldiers on its banks. These soldiers cut down my timber, they kill my buffalo and when I see that, my heart feels like bursting.  Satanta -  Kiowa Chief

White_Elk.jpg White Elk ~ a chief of the Oto Nation
Photo by Edward S. Curtis

When you were born, you cried

and the world rejoiced.
Live your life
so that when you die,
the world cries and you rejoice.
White Elk

May the stars carry your sadness away
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty
May hope forever wipe away your tears
And, above all, may silence make you strong.

Chief Dan George (1899 – 1981) of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, Canada.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 5

Hey guys .... lots of comments I missed ..... anyway here goes

In his article, Mr. Holmes took extraordinary liberties. While it may be true in an extremely small sampling that the term "redskins" was applied in the manner he described, it was just that, a very small sampling. He's taking that small sampling and misapplying it very broadly across the whole country, and he's doing that recklessly just to sell a book.

The term "redskins" was primarily used as a descriptive term just as "whites", "blacks", & "yellows" were/are used to describe a set/race of people. Were/are the terms used prejoratively at times? Yes. But that is not the whole case, and in fact it is a very small part of history that has been blown wwwaaayyy out of proportion of its actual usage for personal gain.

yes , yes he did thats why I posted the disclaimer ........ honestly I donnt think theres anything wrong with it

Interesting graphic Machine. As I have been carving eagles on "rods and staffs" (a rod is a short club like scepter...a staff is self explanatory) over the past few years to be gifted in honoring protocol ceremonies to Native American leaders I would like to say a couple of things about this. First, from the beginning of time there have been arguments/fights/betrayal/murder based on jealousy, greed or from just a plain cold blooded heart.

If you honestly look at global history you will see the rise and fall of empires and countries ....expansions of boundaries, reduction of boundaries...or in some cases elimination of lands held all together...and the near or complete extinction of a peoples culture/ heritage and even an entire race. As some would say from the time of Cain and Abel there has been the case made that even brothers don't get along if you let dark matters of the heart get in the way. Is anyone really "guiltless"? Not if you really do your research...man has been pushing his fellow man around all over the globe...oppressing or killing them often at will.

America may be somewhat unique as if it wasn't for the native population we European transplants probably would never have gotten a foothold in the Americas. But to say that the native population was living on a particular plot of land from the beginning of time would not be an accurate statement. One tribe would war against another tribe, fighting over better hunting grounds or just to count coup to improve the hunting skills of their young warriors. It would probably be a more accurate statement than any of us would want to admit by saying that we all have blood on our hands in one form or another.

The bottom line IMHO is to "stop the insanity" by not keep pointing fingers. I am many generations removed from my ancestors coming to America...yet I know I still have blood on my hands. What can I do about that? That is one reason I am attempting to honor and respect the native culture in any way I can..though I admit, I have much to learn...but how else can we constructively move on as a society? We each have a choice...to spend the rest of our life's disrespecting or hating one another...and risk passing those attitudes onto our kids, or to walk in love and forgiveness. We can't totally undo the past....but we can make choices about where we want to go as an individual in the future...and that is a personal decision we each have to make.

I agree to a point ..... I would say there is no way the native Americans were there from the beginning of time but they were there first, anyway that being said . I think we can all look back and say it could have been handled better, but it was another time and we shouldnt judge too hard of the past or hold it to the morals of today.

on the subject of boundaries you might like this its Europe from 300BC to 2013AD

My favorite bit is around 1920 when Ireland goes green again lol

As for "the redskins" comment....I agree with you eastcreek...it's a term like white skin,black skin, etc...

Along those lines I know a Blackfoot Chief who is not offended by that teams name in the least...in fact he says the names that depict his native people he feels helps reminds folks of his culture.

I agree ...... there should be no ill harm intended ........ it's just a name

The past is the past and one shouldn't dwell on it.

many native`s have went down the same road. 

the aborigines in australia, tribes in africa inuet  in russia , 

the mong in vietnam .  Progress is a bioch .

Hopefully one can learn from history and perhaps we can get it right the next time around.

Look what was created out of a pristine land of beautiful lakes and forest .

A concrete jungle of roads and citys filled with filth.  

hahahaha  good job fellas.

who really give a crap  seriously    

I was gonna say something about your first line ...... I was gonna say "if we don't learn from our past , we are destined to repeat it" but then I read the rest ....... I agree

We need to stop ....... the world has been discovered enough,there is nothing left but the deep sea ...... which is now radioactive in some places.  We now have people going to "visit" remote tribes on vacation .......... yeah killing half the tribe with flu (or something like that)

we need to protect these pockets of people left ..... just like we need to protect the red blooded male who wants to fish and hunt & live in the woods.

• Upvote 3

Great quotes, Maggie. Grazie.

Welcome Umberto. :)

What I loved about these quotes is that they show the Native American's spirit, wisdom and intelligence.

Back then... when the US guberment wanted to take them over... we called them all "Savages".

Now fast forward... in the lands the US guberment now wants to take over... we call them all "Terrorist".

Those countries will be left with the same oppression and poverty as the Native Americans have experienced.

• Upvote 3

In Canada, in British Columbia, the Natives signed no treaties with the Canadian government, back in the day. I guess our government could not trick and con them into doing that. So legally the Natives still own all of British Columbia, including the city of Vancouver, where the Winter Olympics were.

But no worries. The Canadian government lawyers will just make up retroactive legal mumbo-jumbo bullshott to legitimize the theft of all that land.

Whoever owns the guns makes the law, in Canada as elsewhere. Law is not about right and wrong, it's just the way the dominant people enforce their will on everyone, and make it sound morally right, to stupid people.

I agree to a point ..... I would say there is no way the native Americans were there from the beginning of time but they were there first, anyway that being said . I think we can all look back and say it could have been handled better, but it was another time and we shouldnt judge too hard of the past or hold it to the morals of today.

Way too many things that happened that I can honestly say were wrong...dead wrong!!! Not sayin' I have all the answers...or even a few for that matter...just sayin' there had to be a more honorable way to move into the neighborhood. I remember being taught manifest destiny in school...but now that I have a few years under my belt I would say IMHO that was for the most part a crock to justify their actions. I know we don't live in a perfect world, and yes, the settlers lived in a different era from us...so I guess it comes down to what Dog said....and we need to make the most of what we do have.

• Upvote 2