Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Another tornado in Oklahoma

dinarmite

You know they have had a very scary night this evening, more damage and destruction. Everyone was running for their lives. And I was thinking of Okie. I hope he's alright. Words can not express how horrible it is to experience a natural disaster and loose everything. My heart just goes out to all those poor people. And although we've all made fun of Okie I know he means well and I hope he's ok.

• Upvote 2

We have spent billions and billions on retrofitting and ect for earthquake preparedness. Now they are going to spend billions more on a earthquake warning system in California. They should at least make sure the schools have a potato cellar, a couple thousand a school should do it. Nothing fancy. But you know if the government is involved, they cant build it without spending millions planing it and have nothing leftover for the actual project.  

As a Foreigner ( non-US) I have a serious and sincere question to ask......The way I'm used to constructions over here ( brick, concrete, iron, etc.)  it would seem that a tornado,  a wind ( with water)  in other words, no matter how strong and fast, would be incapable of destroying houses,  let alone bigger buildings such as schools,hospitals  etc........Here it may happen only  ( and not always) when there's an earthquake hitting hard but the dynamics of the 2 events are of course very different.

So I wonder if the constructions there are all or mostly pre-fab and what are the preferred construction materials used.I know that , as usual, it's  a matter of saving money which I can understand... But....

Thanks for enlighting me on the subject. It will be appreciated..

Edited by umbertino

As a Foreigner ( non-US) I have a serious and sincere question to ask......The way I'm used to constructions over here ( brick, concrete, iron, etc.) it would seem that a tornado, a wind ( with water) in other words, no matter how strong and fast, would be incapable of destroying houses, let alone bigger buildings such as schools,hospitals etc........Here it may happen only ( and not always) when there's an earthquake hitting hard but the dynamics of the 2 events are of course very different.

So I wonder if the constructions there are all or mostly pre-fab and what are the preferred construction materials used.I know that , as usual, it's a matter of saving money which I can understand... But....

Thanks for enlighting me on the subject. It will be appreciated..

Most homes here are "stick built" on site. 2x4 framing that simply cannot stand up to the air pressure differentials that occur during a tornado.

Not to mention large heavy debris hitting your home. I am not sure that a tornado proof house would be affordable to the most well to do American.

Let alone us average joes.

I am in kansas part of tornado ally I been through 9 tornados ranging from really bad to not much.

I guess I could move.

In short you pay your money and you take your chances.

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Upvote 1

Most homes here are "stick built" on site. 2x4 framing that simply cannot stand up to the air pressure differentials that occur during a tornado.

Not to mention large heavy debris hitting your home. I am not sure that a tornado proof house would be affordable to the most well to do American.

I am in kansas part of tornado ally I been through 9 tornados ranging from really bad to not much.

I guess I could move.

You are right on Muley.  The sudden change of barometric pressure in and around funnel clouds is the big culprit.  One of the best above ground building designs that will withstand high winds and pressure changes is the quonset hut.  New building should incorporate the best features of this design..

I guess I could move.

Thank you  Muleslayer... Your explanation is much appreciated and cleared things up for me.

I cant even imagine how people can live in tornado ally. There's no peace of mind. And really not much you can do because a tornado has no mercy its out to destroy it all.

I live in Miami and we get our share of hurricanes and I know that every season Im a wreck every time we're in danger of one hitting us cause I lost everything in 1992 with 

hurricane Andrew and I never want to go through that again. Although we get enough warning to be prepared it never gets easier.

Anyone know of a nice peaceful place on the planet that has no natural disasters, looking to relocate.

MT

I think it is a case of what you are used to.

We had a small earthquake around the south central part of kansas last year. Was not much just a tremor really.

But weirded me out completely to feel the earth move. I am a firm beliver in tera firma , the more firma the less tera ;) By the same token we are VERY used to gusty wind, but not 80+ mph 120 kph loosely, for you umbertino ;) for hours on end with an intermission "eye of storm" in the middle just scares the bejabbers out of me.

Up north in Goldie Girl land they get MOUNTAINS of snow.

Down in markinsa land the get 10" rain in 3 hours

As the old saying goes. " Better a known wolf"

We have spent billions and billions on retrofitting and ect for earthquake preparedness. Now they are going to spend billions more on a earthquake warning system in California. They should at least make sure the schools have a potato cellar, a couple thousand a school should do it. Nothing fancy. But you know if the government is involved, they cant build it without spending millions planing it and have nothing leftover for the actual project.  

I know jg1 I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame that the schools don't have better protection.

• Upvote 2

I know jg1 I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame that the schools don't have better protection.

I have to agree with you and jg1. 

Mother nature disaster are not going to go away.  Unfortunately, residents that live in tornado alley will always experience such events.  I hope the people of these states move forward with their local representatives in taking efforts in trying to save lives.  I'm surprise that they don't have underground cellars  in place already.  Homes do, why not schools.  This should be priority when they rebuild. 

Whether it be for mother nature or human evil, the schools need to be better prepared to save lives.  We have lost to many little babies. 

• Upvote 1

:huh:

3 days of rain and thunderstorms and high winds with temps in the high 80's here. Not sure what you're talking about. Haven't had snow since March.

You must be referring to Quebec...I think they had snow last weekend but they don't really consider themselves part of Canada so I'm not sure you can lump them into the same category as the rest of us.   :D

Up north in Goldie Girl land they get MOUNTAINS of snow.

Having lived most of my life in Oklahoma, you just get used to it.  Most of us have either a storm cellar or a basement to go to.  Lots of times my basement (only about 15 x 16) will be full of my family and my neighbors that I have assured are always welcome.  This seldom happens more that maybe once or twice a year.  We are used to watching the weather, I have to admit, but we don't really think much about it.  I can assure you there are very few Okies who run around terrified all of the time of the weather.  Whenever these weather patterns appear we usually just keep a sharp eye out watch them if they are close enough.  I can assure you, however, that we certainly have a healthy respect for them and don't hesitate to find us a hole when needed!!  I'll admit I don't understand anybody that doesn't have a basement or storm cellar to get into, that lives in Oklahoma.  I had a good friend that just lost his whole house, pickup, & car two days ago.  However, everything is insured and he & his wife were tucked safely away in their storm cellar.  One mustn't get too attached to material things around here  LOL!!  Gary2

• Upvote 1