Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ban Ki-moon to Iraq: Remove the obstacles in the maintenance of border signs with Kuwait

yota691

Ban Ki-moon to Iraq: Remove the obstacles in the maintenance of border signs with Kuwait

March 15, 2013 12:22   Last updated: 15 Mar 2013 12:22

2726755.jpg

Urged UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Iraq, yesterday, on the need to remove all obstacles that hinder «completion of maintenance project marks the border between Iraq and Kuwait on time by the end of this month», and meet «all» obligations outstanding «without delay». said that in a written report sent to the Security Council on the work of the United Nations Mission to help Iraq (UNAMI) that «it is important to complement the Iraqi government to immediately remove all obstacles between the boundary pillars for the completion of the maintenance project marks the border between Iraq and Kuwait in time». maintenance The «I strongly encourage the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait on the speed of establishing a bilateral mechanism for the maintenance of the border to take responsibility of the United Nations, according to Security Council resolution 833 of 1993». also appealed to the Iraqi government to approve the proposal of the United Nations for the transfer of funds to compensate Iraqi citizens, according to Security Council resolution 899 of 1994 at the earliest possible date. The United Nations has officially announced the launch of maintenance work on the ground in the 14th of January, in the presence of representatives from both countries. pointed Ban Ki-moon that «both sides committed themselves to take the necessary steps to ensure the completion of the work before the deadline and specified In the 31 of March, and as of this writing, the work is going according to schedule, and Government of Iraq started to remove obstacles between border pillars, with the notable exception in a residential installation in the area of Umm Qasr border ». according Qabasreport seems to report the Secretary General wrote before incident, which occurred last Monday, which saw the attack a number of Iraqi demonstrators on the Iraqi border forces in an attempt to obstruct the work of the project, is scheduled to raise the Special Envoy of the United Nations in Iraq Martin Kobler issue in his testimony to the Security Council on 21 March. Ban welcomed Ki-moon in his «continuing progress» toward full normalization of relations between Iraq and Kuwait, and said «I see a historic opportunity in this regard, I call upon the Government of Iraq to fulfill all its obligations under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations without further delay».

• Upvote 4

I do get the feeling that the UN truly wants to see Iraq out of Chapter VII. Kobler has been spending a lot of time in Iraq, and I'm pretty sure he would rather be somewhere else (anywhere else?). But neither are they going to just hand anything to them; all the t's need to be crossed and all the i's need to be dotted.

• Upvote 2