Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Solar install

nstoolman1

Big greedy power companies should get off our backs and let  us resort to our own choices for powering up

without them having a monopoly on it nor being able to penalise US for going it alone!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE!

There was a day when farmers (which consisted of a huge portion of Americans prior to 1900), were totally self sufficient, ea. with a windmill for their basic power needs.  The Electric Companies came in and offered them electricity for "pennies cheap"... and we all know how that worked out!!!  <_< 

Maybe it's time to regain our resourcefulness and independence and leave those big corporate sharks to feed only on themselves!!!  ;) 

• Upvote 2

As far as "sell back" forget it. The new admin pass a bill and that's not a option any more in most states.

Found that out when I priced the wind mill. Also I was told that I would have at least a year wait to

get through the paper work and permits  that would allow me to gain access to the grid.

When I stated that if I was not going to be allowed to sell my excess voltage back to them I didn't want on their grid

I was told that I would have to be.

Off grid is not allowed.

So they would be basically ripping off my voltage

Don't pay your bill they will take you off grid quickly

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

Laws and regs must vary from state and even township to township. Locally we can choose to sell power back to the grid or not. It probably is universal that if you do sell back that you can't harvest power if the grid goes down. Thus if do linemen don't get electrocuted when fixing the lines.

My goal is to go off grid and stay there. Solar is available now and is getting cheaper and more efficient all the time; batteries needed of course but there are some interesting technologies in development (done closer than you might imagine) that promise to"give you power there the sun don't shine.

The ultimate system would be wind, solar and battery backup. If you have the land,wind and money to do all of these then you truly can go off grid. If you have these things then by all means don't pay the electric company and demand to be unhooked from the system. They can't force you to use the service.

Laws and regs must vary from state and even township to township. Locally we can choose to sell power back to the grid or not. It probably is universal that if you do sell back that you can't harvest power if the grid goes down. 

So, where can we research the laws and regulations for our areas? Specific key words to search... Thanks so much!

KK

The ultimate system would be wind, solar and battery backup. If you have the land,wind and money to do all of these then you truly can go off grid. If you have these things then by all means don't pay the electric company and demand to be unhooked from the system. They can't force you to use the service.

True, they can't force you to USE the service, but they can force you to be connected to it... Laws and regulations are laws and regulations...

KK

i looked into solar  with a few companies 

they want you to  sign up for a 20 year lease paying them  and you still pay electric company  , even if you move  you are still locked in  and have to pay  for the full 20 years  , you end up paying  3 or 4 times the actual cost 

if you can buy it outright , better way to go 

Couple of points.

Assuming a few things here.

1. You have the room. 

2. You have the wind. Only if you relly need the extra charging capacity. Good for night charging.

3. You have protected area big enough for enough batteries to do the job.

4. You can get past any red tape.

If you are good on all those points after you are up and running simply throw your main breaker and you become "off grid".

I know in California there is not a connection fee from So Cal Edison so if your not using electricity you will get a paper bill but not owe anything.

Back to the leasing part.

If you have the system sized properly you build credits during the winter, spring and fall and use those credits during the summer. I will pay only the lease amount to the solar company. If you move, the person buying your house should qualify for the lease. Other way is to add the price of Solar to the house. Buyer gets house and you in turn buy out lease. Win for the new owner and win for the seller. The first few months may have double bills but nothing like you have without the solar.