Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Asiacell receives commitments from funds

Asiacell receives commitments from funds

Asiacell Communications has received commitments from sovereign-backed funds, according to the deal’s organizer.

Institutional investors from the Persian Gulf, Europe and the U.S. have registered orders, said Shwan Ibrahim Taha, chairman of Rabee Securities in Baghdad, the sole arranger of the initial public offering. “Some of these funds are sovereign backed,” he said in an e-mailed answer to questions yesterday without naming any of the funds.

==============================

in my humble opinion, this is huge news. i know there has been a lot of negative & positive news coming out concerning asiacell and rightly so. there is tons of speculation concerning this ipo. this article though might be the go-ahead message that i need to make my decision. for all who do not know what sovereign-backed or sovereign-wealth funds are, here is an excerpt from investopedia:

What Is a Sovereign Wealth Fund?

A sovereign wealth fund is a state-owned pool of money that is invested in various financial assets. The money typically comes from a nation's budgetary surplus. When a nation has excess money, it uses a sovereign wealth fund as a way to funnel it into investments rather than simply keeping it in the central bank or channeling it back into the economy.

The motives for establishing a sovereign wealth fund vary by country. For example, the United Arab Emirates generates a large portion of its revenue from exporting oil and needs a way to protect the surplus reserves from oil-based risk, thus it places a portion of that money in a sovereign wealth fund. Many nations use sovereign wealth funds as a way to accrue profit for the benefit of the nation's economy and its citizens.

The primary functions of a sovereign wealth fund are to stabilize the country's economy through diversification and to generate wealth for future generations.

so we see that this opportunity has caught the attention of institutional investors (governments) and they don't invest for a quick hitter quitter. with this news it is very possible that the ipo will reach its goal since more than just the domestic investor is involved.

this is really something to consider for those who were on the fence....

• Upvote 3

So they have registered buyers. But at what price? who are they? The average Iraqi does not purchase on the ISX because they don't trust it. We have no credible information on Asiacell about their profitability. Today Breitling made the comment that the GOI has caught the favor of Asiacell as if that is an endorsement. That means NOTHING!!! I will wait untill the stock price withdraws and buy Asiacell on the dip. Guy's like Breitling will be crying that they didn't do the same. I predict that by summer or sooner(the coming days) we will be able to buy this stock at 10 Dinar per share or less. If I'm wrong I'll always get a 2nd & 3rd chance with Zain and Korek when they come on the ISX.......Don't fall for the hype.......Be patient........IMO

Thx TrinityeXchange

• Upvote 1

So they have registered buyers. But at what price? who are they? The average Iraqi does not purchase on the ISX because they don't trust it. We have no credible information on Asiacell about their profitability. Today Breitling made the comment that the GOI has caught the favor of Asiacell as if that is an endorsement. That means NOTHING!!! I will wait untill the stock price withdraws and buy Asiacell on the dip. Guy's like Breitling will be crying that they didn't do the same. I predict that by summer or sooner(the coming days) we will be able to buy this stock at 10 Dinar per share or less. If I'm wrong I'll always get a 2nd & 3rd chance with Zain and Korek when they come on the ISX.......Don't fall for the hype.......Be patient........IMO

Thx TrinityeXchange

I totally agree with your assessment. I will be waiting in the wings as well. Rich.

• Upvote 1

Unirod, you speak as if the banking and investment sector in iraq is up to speed with the rest of the world and condones complete transparency. The bottom line is that "it doesn't". Any investment in this country's currency or market is done with high risk. For instance, I hold bank stocks but do I trust the numbers put out on the balance sheets of these banks? Not a chance. However I invest for the future potential, believing that this gamble will pay off. Same with Asiacell. We are not going to get sound information on this stock neither now nor in the coming days. At this point we are clearly speculators betting against Iraq's lethargic economy and political turmoil.

This investment is not to be played like one would play the markets of developed economies. This is a completely different ball of wax. The wary need not apply.

• Upvote 1

TrinityeXchange,

As you know, I decided to play this one long and"all in" several months ago. There are three bits of evidence that have guided my speculation in this way. While there is so much conflicting news about TASC, these tidbits of evidence have allowed me to discount the other items I have read . Your last sentences, "This investment is not to be played like one would play the markets of developed economies. This is a completely different ball of wax. The wary need not apply" are similar to my final words in several posts over the last couple of months. My prayer is that all my Bretheren make out like fatcats either through the IPO or later down the road...we can all be blessed by this thing.

What I would hope to see is that we as ISX'ers would allow "Iron to sharpen Iron" as we traverse through Babylon. My mind is way past TASC and I am pursuing a "jewel" in this emerging geo not yet birthed. Perhaps after Feb 3. those of us of like minds and kindred spirits will be able to put our collective knowledge and wisdom together as we walk together in a land full of opportunity.

Blessings,

TrinityeXchange,

As you know, I decided to play this one long and"all in" several months ago. There are three bits of evidence that have guided my speculation in this way. While there is so much conflicting news about TASC, these tidbits of evidence have allowed me to discount the other items I have read . Your last sentences, "This investment is not to be played like one would play the markets of developed economies. This is a completely different ball of wax. The wary need not apply" are similar to my final words in several posts over the last couple of months. My prayer is that all my Bretheren make out like fatcats either through the IPO or later down the road...we can all be blessed by this thing.

What I would hope to see is that we as ISX'ers would allow "Iron to sharpen Iron" as we traverse through Babylon. My mind is way past TASC and I am pursuing a "jewel" in this emerging geo not yet birthed. Perhaps after Feb 3. those of us of like minds and kindred spirits will be able to put our collective knowledge and wisdom together as we walk together in a land full of opportunity.

Blessings,

PREACH! Preach-ah :)

TrinityeXchange,

Blessings,

My biggest hang up with this (or any stock for that matter) is that I'm afraid I won't be able to make my moves fast enough. How do you all plan on preparing to sell at the right time with your broker?

BTW I'm a complete stocks rookie (in case that wasn't already made evident by my question!)

Thanks!

I am sitting out on the IPO going to wait. The stocks I have are doing well for me and I would have to sell a bunch to get in. One good thing is that Asiacell is exposing the ISX to the whole world which should in turn bring in more liquidity. Historically speaking IPOs drop shortly after they are listed not always but usually do. We will see a spike in price then buy on the dip.

My biggest hang up with this (or any stock for that matter) is that I'm afraid I won't be able to make my moves fast enough. How do you all plan on preparing to sell at the right time with your broker?

BTW I'm a complete stocks rookie (in case that wasn't already made evident by my question!)

Thanks!

Trading on the ISX is definiately not like the Nasdaq or NYSE. It really depends on your broker and how fast they do their job. You can email them the paperwork but they must not be lazy and do their job. In my opinion in the future we will be able to trade on the ISX through a broker like Scottrade and Etrade after the dinar has been given some value to it. Getting in and out of Asiacell fast enough to make a profit is one of the reasons why I am not buying into the IPO going to wait on the dip in the price after it list if there is one.

I am sitting out on the IPO going to wait. The stocks I have are doing well for me and I would have to sell a bunch to get in. One good thing is that Asiacell is exposing the ISX to the whole world which should in turn bring in more liquidity. Historically speaking IPOs drop shortly after they are listed not always but usually do. We will see a spike in price then buy on the dip.

Trading on the ISX is definiately not like the Nasdaq or NYSE. It really depends on your broker and how fast they do their job. You can email them the paperwork but they must not be lazy and do their job. In my opinion in the future we will be able to trade on the ISX through a broker like Scottrade and Etrade after the dinar has been given some value to it. Getting in and out of Asiacell fast enough to make a profit is one of the reasons why I am not buying into the IPO going to wait on the dip in the price after it list if there is one.

Can you/anyone tell me how to purchase the TASC stock? How easy is it to get your money out of Iraq (ISX ) I recall in 2012 someone in DV had saved a 100,000.00 in the Warka Bank and wanted to buy a house in the U.S., but was unable to get the money out of his Warka account.

Edited by BTSC2000

Thanks!

This is a major problem with any IPO, particularly if oversubscribed. Probability is that you will not know how many shares have been allocated until after the big boys have started selling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a major problem with any IPO, particularly if oversubscribed. Probability is that you will not know how many shares have been allocated until after the big boys have started selling.

A voice of reason and refreshment you are;

Thx sandyf

Hey Trinity,

Yes I am an active trader. I currently am only active in 2 sectors with 3 companies. 1 Bank (KURD) and 2 Industrials, Pepsi And (IMAP) Pharmaceuticals. I am looking at Kaleeg a (Gulf Commercial Bank) and Ameen an (Insurance company). I don't keep the ISX ID's in my head sorry. I do understand the varied sentiments of our D/V brotherhood with the Asiacell IPO offer and your comments regarding risk. Yes Iraq is a risk and my strategy is to cast my bread upon many waters and diversify in many sectors of the ISX. I'm just not convinced with the Asiacell offer. But I do wish everyone the best!!

• Upvote 1

Hey Trinity,

Yes I am an active trader. I currently am only active in 2 sectors with 3 companies. 1 Bank (KURD) and 2 Industrials, Pepsi And (IMAP) Pharmaceuticals. I am looking at Kaleeg a (Gulf Commercial Bank) and Ameen an (Insurance company). I don't keep the ISX ID's in my head sorry. I do understand the varied sentiments of our D/V brotherhood with the Asiacell IPO offer and your comments regarding risk. Yes Iraq is a risk and my strategy is to cast my bread upon many waters and diversify in many sectors of the ISX. I'm just not convinced with the Asiacell offer. But I do wish everyone the best!!

i see and appreciate your point of view. thanks for sharing my friend.

• Upvote 1

My take on Asiacell is that its worth the risk. If the shares gain value out of the gate and continue to climb well great, thats what I'm betting on. If the value goes down, I still have my original shares and I will buy some more at a future date when I think they are a good buy. Anyway,I don't want to should have, could have, would have on this one.