Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

American Contractor 3-31-2010

k98nights

1 April 2010 U.N. Report by the Secretary-General on Iraq

15 April 2010 Iraq Investment Conference - Istanbul, Turkey

24 April 2010 IAMB Meeting DFI Mechanism

31 May 2010 Iraq Stand-by-Agreement (SBA) 1st Review

21 June 2010 U.N. Tarsov Mandate Extended

24 Oct 2010 National Census (rescheduled from Oct 2009)

31 Dec 2010 DFI Funds expires

Iraq Dates

American Contractor Intel AC-I

I want to clear up a rumor that was perpetuated in the world wide web by people who claim to have accurate information. Anyone who makes any wrongful statement about Dr. Iyad Allawi, rest assure the American Contractor will correct those false statements.

This particular info guru (believe me I use the term lightly) has made the statement that Dr. Allawi, while on the campaign trail had made the statement of and I quote “was to bring immediate purchasing power back to the Iraqi dinar.”

For those of you that do not know, American Contractor has an archive data base of information. After searching all public speeches and interviews made by Dr. Allawi going back 5 years. Dr. Allawi has never said that he would bring immediate purchasing power back to the Iraqi dinar. Unequivocally false!

If I am wrong and my data base is missing that particular interview or speech of Dr. Allawi please send me the date and place. I will gladly retract my statement.

As proof that the American Contractor has a data base, I will publish another interview from Dr. Allawi obtained on 27 March.

The Iraq elections are over and now Iraq will be forming a new government.

In regards to the Important Iraq dates at the top of this newsletter. The United Nations Secretary-General has a report to give to the Security Council. This is the UN Mandated report scheduled for April and then another report in the summer. Do not get overly excited about Iraq being released from UN Chapter VII just because of this particular report. The Iraqi government still has to set up the

alternative for the DFI mechanism and the first report is July 2010 to the United Nations. Until the Iraqi government completes this and the U.N. signs off on it I wouldn’t expect the Chapter VII to be released any time soon.

15 April is the Iraq-Turkey Investment Conference.

If you have not noticed over the years, Ankara was not really fond of Prime Minister al-Maliki as they are of Dr. Allawi.

Dr. Allawi just before the election met with Turkish President Gul, Prime Minister Erdogan, and Foreign Minister Davutoglu.

Dr. Allawi praised the “Turkeys modernization, stability, and progress is seen as a driving force in the middle east.”

I am sure Dr. Allawi and the Turkish government will have great relations in the coming years.

I want to point out that Dr. Allawi in his pre-election tour did not visit the mullahs in Iran but visited Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt, UAE.

A recent headline that caught my attention was about the Iraq Ministry of Finance (MoF) going after the banks.

The headline reads;

“Finance ministry rails against private banks in Iraq.”

The MoF has the authority to force banks to comply with its order at any time it sees fit. All banks in Iraq must report to the MoF or Central Government.

Shortly after the war in 2003, several banks had opened up inside Iraq upon approval from the Central Bank of Iraq. To open up a bank in Iraq as anywhere, there are expectations

the new bank must follow such as, make loans to local nationals at favorable local interest rates and among other things report to the Ministry of Finance.

Most banks in Iraq are actively increasing their bottom line and making positive strides in increasing the perception in the Iraq banking sector.

However, why would a foreign entity opening a foreign bank to serve their interest in a foreign country really care about the well being of the local banking sector?

The MOF has it right when it says they have not been conducive to the country development.

The Iraqi banking sector was patterned like the U.S. Banking institutions. However, the Iraq system lacks the existence of a strong judicial system to support the Ministry of Finance regulatory system. The support from different ministry within the Iraqi government has always been strained.

It is getting better slowly in the banking sector inside Iraq. The need for more training and technical know how is vital to bring it to the 21st century.

Election Facts:

Only 62 members of Parliament retained their seats.

There is still a possibility that some candidates may be disqualified in regards to there connections with the Baath Party. Stay tuned!

RV UPDATE:

After informing you that it was inconceivable to have an RV in March 2010, due to more important matters such as an elections, American Contractor has analyzed the current events for the upcoming month of April 2010.

The continued wrangling with the post elections and the forming of the Iraq government. The soon to be published reports with the U.N. and the upcoming 1st Review of the SBA loan with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) with all that is happening inside Iraq, no RV is possible for the month of April 2010.

The Central Bank of Iraq has finished the report on the future currency exchange of the Iraq dinar. At the present time, they have not established the date for the education of the public and the execution phase. The Ministry of Finance is not allowing anything to disrupt the current events in regards to the Iraqi dinar currency. It is interesting to note that, the Ministry of Finance Minister obtained over 70,000 votes, which shows that the Iraqi people want him in that position.

As always more to follow...

American Contractor

I have included a translation from an interview Q&A session with Dr. Allawi and Al-Iraqiyah TV.

Iraqi List leader Allawi discusses polls victory, forthcoming bloc talks

Text of report by Iraqi government-controlled Al-Iraqiyah TV on 27 March

[News conference given by Dr Iyad Allawi, former Iraqi prime minister and head of the Al-Iraqiyah List, in Baghdad - live; Allawi first reads a statement, and he then takes questions from media persons]

[Allawi] The outcome of the elections is an expression of the will of the noble Iraqi people as they decided to vote for those whom they deem as fit to represent them in the next parliament, God willing. There is no doubt that the phases, through which the political process passed in Iraq, were difficult, exhausting, and harsh. They hurt the situation in Iraq and wreaked havoc with it in an unacceptable manner, which produced what we are currently seeing in Iraq; namely, the deterioration in all resources, be they service-related, economic, or even human resources. For we have millions of refugees living abroad. Likewise, there are millions of internally displaced people inside Iraq. We all, and all political forces must work seriously to end this injustice and restore Iraq to all its people regardless of religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.

Through you, I salute the Iraqi people and I hail their audacity and heroism. The Iraqi people are a highbred and honourable people who shook the biggest world empire in the past century, in the beginnings of the 20th century, to establish the modern Iraqi state of which we are now a part. Having spilled this chaste blood and offered martyrs who fell due to terrorist attacks, this honourable people managed to head to the ballot boxes and choose those whom they deem appropriate to represent them in the Council of Representatives.

Of course, I must also hail the United Nations and its positive role in Iraq as manifested in its direct supervision, given its responsibilities - [responding to people, apparently media persons talking] what is the story? -given its responsibilities under Chapter VII of the Security Council resolutions to oversee the conduct of the elections and achieve the largest possible measure of transparency in these elections.

more below

Edited by k98nights

Similarly, I hail the [independent High] Electoral Commission [iHEC], which stood firmly and managed to perform its duties

despite the scarcity of resources. We all know that before the elections were held, certain incidents that actually aimed to abort the elections happened. These incidents sought to scare people and exclude people. These incidents reached the point where large-scale arrests were made, particularly in the ranks of the Al-Iraqiyah List. Despite all this, we proceeded with the elections.

As a matter of fact, and honestly, I salute our honourable people. I also salute all of the political forces which contributed to this process - those that emerged as winners and those that did not emerge as winners. We will all be one hand in building Iraq so it can contain all Iraqis without any discrimination, marginalization, or exclusion. Only murderers and terrorists will be excluded. The Al-Iraqiyah List decided to be open to all forces, whether the State of Law Coalition, headed by our brother, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki; the Iraqi National Alliance; the Kurdistan Alliance; the rest of the blocs; the Al-Tawafuq Front; or those who lost in the elections. Iraq should not be possessed by anyone or by a certain side or sect but should be possessed by all Iraqis.

Of course, I have indeed received congratulatory telephone calls as well messages of congratulations extended to me from the Islamic and Arab states, which congratulated the Iraqi people on this great achievement. We hope that we will cap this achievement with the formation of the government as soon as possible, the government that is capable of establishing security and stability and of providing an appropriate level of services to our honourable people, and that is also capable of maximizing the incomes of honourable Iraqi families. It is unreasonable for there to be poverty in Iraq when Iraq boasts these huge resources. Thank you very much. In case you have any question, a few questions, I will take them. Go ahead, please.

[unidentified correspondent] [words indistinct] for Al-Arabiya Channel. Dr Allawi: You held talks with some political blocs and coalitions before the announcement of results. Now that the results have been announced and that the Al-Iraqiyah List is enjoying a lead with two more seats than the State of Law Coalition, will you hold talks with the same blocs, or will you hold talks with other blocs? Is there a plan for the biggest bloc to form a political majority government or a political partnership government? Thank you very much.

[Allawi] Before the elections we had discussions with political

blocs and not talks. The talks should start now as the results were announced yesterday. What preceded; was only discussions with various political forces without any exclusion. Now we will move into holding direct talks to form the government and come up with a platform. Honestly, what is important is the platform. This is because our people have had their share of tragedies, bloodshed, poverty, and terror. This people should lead a stable life and enjoy their resources.

Given this, we actually believe that we should form a strong government that is capable of making decisions and implementing them so as to serve the Iraqi people, make Iraq reach the shores of peace and stability, and return Iraq to its Arab, Muslim, and International depth and make the world countries and the Arab and Muslim depth return to Iraq. These are the essential missions of the foreign policy.

Stemming from this principle, we extend our hands to all of the neighbouring and world countries and thank them for not interfering in the Iraqi elections. We are in favour of having the best relations with all of the world countries and especially with the neighbouring countries. Those relations should be built on common interests and on respecting Iraq’s privacy and sovereignty.

Hence, based on these parameters and indicators, we will, God willing, begin negotiations with the political forces, the blocs that emerged as winners as well as those that did not emerge as winners. This is because as I have just said, Iraq is not the property of anybody. It is not the property of any party. We have asked brother Rafi al-Isawi, a brother in the leadership echelon of the Al-Iraqiyah List, along with a committee of competent brothers, to start these negotiations, God willing. Go ahead, please.

[Jabbar, for Al-Sumariyah TV] Dr Allawi, I am Aysar Jabbar, for the Al-Sumariyah Channel. Dr Allaw: There are paragraphs [words indistinct] draw up the strategy of [words indistinct] in parliament. That is, it is the big blocs in parliament which form the next government. Will this affect the strategy drawn up by the Al-Iraqiyah List? Or are there any objections to these paragraphs? Consequently, will you refer them to the court to handle them?

[Allawi] Sir, would you explain the paragraph to me? I am unaware of this paragraph.

[Jabbar] [words indistinct]

[Allawi] The clear paragraph in the constitution of which we are

aware stipulates that the parliamentary bloc that emerges as the biggest winner in the elections is asked to form the government. I do not know what you mean. Your question is unclear.

[Jabbar] I am asking about the coalitions formed in parliament.

[Allawi] No, no. It is obvious that the bloc that emerges as the biggest winner in the elections is asked to form the government even if it were to enjoy the slightest lead in the elections. According to the Iraqi constitution, this bloc is officially asked to form the government. Based on current developments, the Iraqi people have honoured the Al-Iraqiyah List and chosen it to be the key party in starting dialogues with other parties. This is what the Iraqi Constitution provides for. But if there are other constitutions, constitutions other than the Iraqi Constitution, which they seek to uphold, this is something of which I am really unaware. What you have said is something new. Go ahead, dear, please.

[unidentified correspondent] Dr Allawi, I congratulate you on the election win.

[Allawi] Thank you.

[Correspondent] Some rival blocs have submitted some contestations. You know that the winning list only had a two-seat lead in the elections.

[Allawi] Yes, that is true.

[Correspondent] Do you think that these contestations will impact the lead enjoyed by the Al-Iraqiyah List?

[Allawi] By God, the statements made by the UN envoy yesterday were clear - I do not know whether or not you heard his statements. But I would also like to say that we also submitted contestations. We submitted contestations and remarks on what happened to us before the elections were held. I am talking of the arrests, the exclusions, the use of scaring tactics and intimidation, the use of unfair dark propaganda, and the terrorization of people. This even happened on election day. This reached the point where helicopters dropped flyers against me and the Al-Iraqiyah List. That is, we also submitted contestations. Had this not happened, the Al-Iraqiyah List would definitely have won 125 to 130 seats in parliament. Nonetheless, this terrorization and this intimidation took place. That is why we also submitted contestations challenging what happened. We demand that the rights be given back to their rightful owners. It goes without saying that other lists have the! right to submit contestations. However, I believe that we must work hand in hand. That is, enough is enough.

We should shun partisanship and parochialism. We must establish the pillars of stability. We have not come to be enriched in Iraq and to make personal gains. We have come here after waging a decades-long struggle within the ranks of the Iraqi people. The aim of the struggle was to ensure the victory of this people, and to ensure that this people may be able to hold their heads high once again everywhere. We have not come here just to ensure that this or that person becomes a prime minister, to ensure that this or that person becomes minister, or to ensure that this or that person becomes a president. We all must agree on a formula regarding what needs to be done in Iraq. Likewise, we must move ahead firmly and strongly to rid the Iraqi people of this nightmare, put the smiles back on the faces of all Iraqis, and restore the dignity of all Iraqis. I will have two more questions, and then, I will move on.

[unidentified speaker] Dr Allawi - [words indistinct].

[Allawi] What is wrong with him? Who is it? How are you, dear? You are welcome.

[unidentified speaker] Go ahead, please.

[unidentified correspondent] [Words indistinct] two questions. Now that Dr Rafi al-Isaw has been designated as the person who will be holding negotiations with other political forces, can you name the forces that are closest to you, and that will be (part?) of the coming alliances? This is for one. Second, do you have any differences with the State of Law Coalition with regard to the political project and the next programme?

more below

[Allawi] As a matter of fact, we do not have differences with anybody. We are close to all parties, and we support all parties. What we deem important is the implementation of what we see as the Iraqi national project, the project for which we fought and for the sake of which we suffered calamities. The Iraqi national project is easy and simple. It provides for amending the course of the political process and expanding it to include the whole Iraqi people. Only terrorists and murderers should be excluded from this process.

Likewise, this project provides for building the state institutions in a professional and competent manner - institutions that are capable of providing appropriate services to the Iraqi people, that are capable of establishing security and stability in Iraq, and that are also capable of developing the economic resources so that Iraqi

families may lead comfortable lives, without suffering any destitution or poverty. Instead of having these armies of unemployed people, the plan is to create jobs for everybody. As a matter of fact, this is the responsibility of all. This is the responsibility of the State of Law Coalition, the Al-Iraqiyah List, the Kurdistan Alliance, the entire Iraqi people, and all the political forces that are engaged in the political process, including those that emerged as winners as well as those who did not. As a matter of fact, this is the principle that should guide our moves and actions. We should pursue this objective to safeguard the ! Iraqis’ dignity.

[Correspondent] [words indistinct] - Islamic forces?

[Allawi] By God, let me tell you something: All the forces are close to us. May the journalists excuse me. I only have time for two paragraphs [giggling by media persons]. I only have time for a question with two paragraphs. Some journalists might say: I have a question with three paragraphs.

[unidentified correspondent] [words indistinct]

[Allawi] Let him go ahead, please.

[Correspondent] Dr Allawi: How do you view the magnitude of future challenges, especially since everybody acknowledges that regional countries are interfering and wielding influence in Iraq? If you become the prime minister, how would you handle this challenge?

[Allawi] By God, let me tell you something: What happened in Iraq in the aftermath of the war was the big vacuum created following the dismantling of the state. This is what happened when Iraq was put on the track of sectarian quotas. This vacuum caused the emergence of interference by many parties, regional parties and non-regional parties. This was definitely the reflection of a scientific, economic, and political law. We are now in the process of building the Iraqi state, the state that is capable of protecting Iraq and Iraqis. The Iraqi state’s foreign policy must be driven by two factors: First, the common and mutual interests between Iraq and other world states, be they neighbouring or non-neighbouring states. There must be no reluctance to establish economic, trade, and cultural links with these states. [Apparently responding to media people talking] What is happening? What is the story?

[unidentified speaker] OK. This is the last question [words indistinct].

[Allawi] The second issue concerns sovereignty and non-interference in sovereignty-related and domestic affairs. Neither should

Iraq allow itself to interfere in the domestic affairs of others, nor should others interfere in Iraqi domestic affairs. These are the principles that would guide our foreign policy.

In addition, there are details regarding the sovereignty of Iraq, including closing the various files with Kuwait, Iran, Turkey, Jordan, and all other states. All these files should be closed, and a new leaf should be turned. This leaf should be based on cooperation, fraternity, amity and integration. We should not forget that regional stability fosters stability in Iraq and vice versa.

Proceeding from this principle, the Iraqi state and the next government, God willing, should seek to consolidate this concept. This is because at the end of the day, we cannot wait forever entertaining the notion that the United States or others, for that matter, will remain here to protect this region. As a matter of fact, protecting the region is the responsibility of its peoples. I believe that this is what should happen regardless of the parties that interfered or failed to do so. But, in general, the interference was limited, and so it should remain pending the achievement of a complete end to the interference. Amity, fraternity, and friendship should prevail among all neighbouring countries without exception.

By the way, this is what I tried to achieve when I was the prime minister. At that time, I organized the first Sharm al-Shaykh conference under UN auspices. I brought together all regional and neighbouring states, the Arab league, the Organization of Islamic Conference, the Gulf Cooperation Council [GCC], and the so-called G8 of big industrialized nations. The conference, which was thankfully hosted by His Excellency President Husni Mubarak, materialized. It was a successful conference by all standards. The governments that came after me should have developed this work and persisted with it. They should have continued with the effort to implement its mechanisms.

Thank you. One more question, and then the news conference will be over. [words indistinct; unidentified correspondents clamour to put questions to Allawi; Allawi giggles]

[unidentified female speaker] May God’s peace be upon you.

[Allawi] Hello, dear.

[Female speaker] [Words indistinct].

[Allawi] Thank you. You are most welcome, dear.

[Mu’idi, for the Al-Siyadah newspaper] I am Ma’n Mu’idi, for Al-Siyadah newspaper.

[Allawi] For which paper you work?

[Mu’idi] I work for the Al-Siyadah newspaper.

[Allawi] So, you work for the Al-Siyadah newspaper?

[Mui’di] Yes, sir. Based on our media polls, most of those who voted in favour of the Al-Iraqiyah List were detainees and expatriates who took part in the out-of-country voting. What would you like to say to the detainees and Iraqi expatriates?

[Allawi] Honestly, there is a distinction between detainees and convicted people. As for the detainees held in custody, efforts must be expedited to settle their cases. If they are found guilty, they must be sent to court and the judiciary. But if they are found to be innocent, they must be set free immediately and compensated. As for the detainees held in custody, all their files must be re-examined. Excuse me, I mean prisoners, not detainees. If the prisoners are held for political reasons, they must be set free. As a matter of fact, our moves should be guided by tolerance, forgiveness, and commitment to our people. Only terrorists and murderers should be excluded from this framework.

As for the rest of the Iraqi people, regardless of their convictions or conditions, I would like to say that Iraq is the property of all Iraqis. It is the property of neither Iyad Allawi nor Jalal Talabani. Iraq is the property of all Iraqis. All Iraqis are responsible for safeguarding the country, and they should be able to enjoy the resources of this country. They should act generously and honourably, and they should be honoured by this country.

[unidentified speaker] [words indistinct]

[Allawi] One last question.

[unidentified correspondent] Dr Allawi, in a statement Dr Tariq al-Hashimi affirmed that an Arab figure should hold the post of president and that President Jalal Talabani must dismissed. Where do you stand on this?

[Allawi] Ha! Where was this statement made?

[Correspondent] [words indistinct] This statement caused a dispute between the Kurdistan Alliance and [words indistinct].

[Allawi] There is no dispute between us and the Kurdistan Alliance. I would like to assure you that there is no dispute between us and the Kurdistan Alliance. I have met with dear brother Mas’ud Barzani and his excellency the president. The misunderstanding was created by the media.

[Correspondent, interrupting] [words indistinct]

[Allawi] Let me complete what I am saying. [Giggling] The misunderstanding

was created by the media. That is why I tell you that the media should demonstrate a sense of responsibility. You, may God be exalted, are actually competent. The media should demonstrate a sense of responsibility. The misunderstanding created by the media has come to an end, God be praised. [words indistinct by unidentified correspondents]

[Allawi] OK. Only one last question.

[unidentified correspondent] [words indistinct] for the international (Nuwe?) news agency.

[Allawi] Which news agency?

[Correspondent] What does 26 March mean to you? I am with the (Nuwe?) international news agency.

[Allawi] With regard to 26 March, by God, this date caps the Iraqi people’s struggle, and it is a manifestation of their willpower, their awareness, their vision, and their determination to rise above the ordeal and build a country that can accommodate all Iraqis and that befits this audacious people. This is the significance of 26 March. As a matter of fact, this is what it means to me. [Holds up a chocolate] I will take this chocolate from Khalid. [laughter by media persons]. Thank you, dear people.

Source: Al-Iraqiyah TV, Baghdad, in Arabic 0740 gmt 27 Mar 10

http://www.americancontractor.com/31March2010.pdf

The RV update is bolded in blue... the rest of it is just for your perusal. It was part of the whole, so I posted it. Did I read every word? Nooooo lol. I skimmed it. But if you want to read every word, here it is in all it's glory! :D

The RV update is bolded in blue... the rest of it is just for your perusal. It was part of the whole, so I posted it. Did I read every word? Nooooo lol. I skimmed it. But if you want to read every word, here it is in all it's glory! :D

Thank you WOODY for posting American Contractors article.

Thanks another site for your continued and thorough information...!

Be Blessed All,

RON ;)

The Central Bank of Iraq has finished the report on the future currency exchange of the Iraq dinar. At the present time, they have not established the date for the education of the public and the execution phase. The Ministry of Finance is not allowing anything to disrupt the current events in regards to the Iraqi dinar currency.

This can be taken bad or good. Does anyone know if this report is available to the public to read yet? I would like to know more about this "exchange".

This is an outstanding post... thank you. It says there is still much to be done but that it is all coming to a head soon. The election fodder still must be worked through but that Allawi should emerge as the leader of Iraq. The news conference shows that Allawi is grabbing hold of the reins regardless and seems to have all the makings of a strong and potentially great leader. He clearly is interested in uniting the secular country and is focused on helping the people emerge from poverty and war. He wants Iraq to have positive partnerships with neighboring nations in the GCC and appreciates support from the UN. This guy seems to be the real deal IMO and seems perfect to lead Iraq into a post war direction. He clearly gets it and I love his confidence that it's all going work itself through. If he can get Iran to stop meddling we are going to see a whole new Middle East IMO.

Looks like an RV between May and August to me. Woohoo!

can you do a recap, on why this is important for the dumb ones here?like ......................me? What does this mean to us?

even though the chosen ones with all there so called intel and contacts are saying rv by april 1st or in the month of april (and remember we have had dates in all the month of march for the RV that has failed to come true) basically another site is saying no rv anytime during april...or any time in the next few months. we will continue to see false dates and intel and contacts (rumors) on the RV date. when each one passes a new one will take it's place. this will go on.......until someone finally get's it right. stay tuned for the next round of intel.