Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

At the Council of Nicea in 323 A.D., 82 books were removed from the Bible. Church fathers did this because they were trying to "regularize" the Bible, and many of the books told contradictory stories. At least, they contradicted what Constantin wanted as a unified and cohesive religion to pull his kingdom together. (Christianity was his mother's religion, and he latched onto it for his own purposes). And the Church Fathers didn't want to acknowledge Mary and her real role in the life of Jesus because, even then, they were very male dominated, and they wanted no woman to be acknowledged as part of the Trinity. So instead of the "Father, the Mother, and the Son" it became the "Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." They did this, in part, because there were still many vestiges of the old Earth-centered Goddess religions around, and they wanted to wash their hands of anything to do with that. These omitted books are still available. They are called the Apocrypha. You can find them online at: http://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha/

• Upvote 2

Wow Smee you are brave to even broach this subject. smile.gif

Here is how I feel about all this...

Prayer for me is very personal between myself and my God.

I will pray the way I feel is right, when I choose to, and for whom ever I choose to.

God is Love, pure and simple. Prayer is tapping into that love and sharing in that energy.

Go ahead somebody, tell me I am wrong, but you are not God are you?

• Upvote 4

Personally,

It is ok if someone chooses to worship Jesus, or if they choose to worship a piece of fruit. If I send out a request for prayer, and someone discusses my troubles (be it health or what have you) with THEIR God, the cantalope, (for example) I will accept the prayer with the love in which it was intended. Does it really harm me in any way? To say "Please pray for me, but only to MY God" is missing out on a WHOLE LOT of good thoughts and love IMO.

Robin

• Upvote 5

It's not my business what religion anyone is. If a person is willing to pray for me or someone I know, that means the world to me. The prayer will be determined by the one and only. If there religious beliefs do not coincide with the proper way of a prayer then I will still thank anyone who takes the time to pray in the only way they know.

Just my very humble opinion,

Best to all!emot-angel.gif

Carla

• Upvote 3

Small point here ... Catholics do not pray to the saints, as if they are praying to God, expecting the saints can work miracles. We know that is not so. But Catholics do pray to the Saints asking them to intercede for them with God. And they pray to mother Mary for her to intercede with her Son on our behalf. We don't expect Mary or the saints to work miracles. We do pray that they will speak on our behalf, Big difference there.

But the whole point is you don't need a middleman, you go straight to God.

• Upvote 4

I will pray the way I feel is right, when I choose to, and for whom ever I choose to.

God is Love, pure and simple. Prayer is tapping into that love and sharing in that energy.

no I'm not God but I do have the mind of Christ. we are talking about christian prayer, what is a christian? an ambassador of Jesus Christ according to the Bible. How do we become an ambassador? by accepting what Jesus did on earth, he died on the cross and was raised from the dead and seated at the right hand of God the Father. what does God mean when he tells us that the prayers of a righteous man availeth much?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great thread Smee! Very interesting to read everyone's thoughts. I'd like to chime in please. Saying catholics aren't christians is elevating yourself to judge and jury, which you are not. There's only one judgment that matters, and that is God's. We will all be judged individually by him only and that is why it's each person's own responsibility to read the bible for personal understanding. I'm not catholic but I'd be willing to bet at least one of them make it to heaven.

That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of catholics out there going to hell, just like there are baptists, pentecostals, methodists, etc. etc. My mother once told me there are a lot of people sitting in church every single Sunday who are going to hell, including preachers! That statement had a profound impact on me and will stick with me for the rest of my life.

None are without sin so maybe we should not be casting stones?

@ Nadita, I love how you word your prayers, they are so beautiful. Mine are simple but I know God hears them just the same. :)

Edited by WorkerBee
  • Upvote 2

Great thread Smee! Very interesting to read everyone's thoughts. I'd like to chime in please. Saying catholics aren't christians is elevating yourself to judge and jury, which you are not. There's only one judgment that matters, and that is God's. We will all be judged individually by him only and that is why it's each person's own responsibility to read the bible for personal understanding. I'm not catholic but I'd be willing to bet at least one of them make it to heaven.

That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of catholics out there going to hell, just like there are baptists, pentecostals, methodists, etc. etc. My mother once told me there are a lot of people sitting in church every single Sunday who are going to hell, including preachers! That statement had a profound impact on me and will stick with me for the rest of my life.

None are without sin so maybe we should not be casting stones?

@ Nadita, I love how you word your prayers, they are so beautiful. Mine are simple but I know God hears them just the same. :)

the word of God says you will know them by their fruit so there is discernment/judging taking place. it is not my place to tell you you're going to hell unless the Holy Spirit prompts me to and yes the Holy Spirit will prompt people to preach repentance, it is our responsibility to do it in love which should be our motivation. I believe Makinsa posted a topic about the immaculate conception of Mary's heart.(?) he did not say catholics are going to hell. I believe he responded later in the thread stating he has catholic friends that are saved. there is a proper way to pray as a christian. God's word, the Bible, says we are to study the word rightly dividing it, if there is a right way to breakdown God's word there is a wrong way to do it as well. praying to dead people is wrong and for those who say we're not to judge well isn't it judgement to assume a dead person is in heaven vs hell? God's word tells us to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, in the old testament God's word tells us the spirit returns to God. Our soul is to be saved too, but does it end up in heaven immediately, I'm not sure, maybe someone can help me with that one. I know we will have a resurrected body and that doesn't happen immediately. to be continued...

• Upvote 1

At the Council of Nicea in 323 A.D., 82 books were removed from the Bible. Church fathers did this because they were trying to "regularize" the Bible, and many of the books told contradictory stories. At least, they contradicted what Constantin wanted as a unified and cohesive religion to pull his kingdom together. (Christianity was his mother's religion, and he latched onto it for his own purposes). And the Church Fathers didn't want to acknowledge Mary and her real role in the life of Jesus because, even then, they were very male dominated, and they wanted no woman to be acknowledged as part of the Trinity. So instead of the "Father, the Mother, and the Son" it became the "Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." They did this, in part, because there were still many vestiges of the old Earth-centered Goddess religions around, and they wanted to wash their hands of anything to do with that. These omitted books are still available. They are called the Apocrypha. You can find them online at: http://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha/

God is a God of order. He is more than able to give us his unadultrated word despite our flesh. In the old testament the lampstand had ornate figures on it. When you count these figure there are 66, 39 on the left side, 27 on the right side of the lampstand. Now is it pure coincidence that there are 39 books of the old testament and 27 books of the new testament for a total of... 66. In the old testament God went into details of the tabernacle and the things in the tabernacle. His mercy seat is the only thing missing a dimension, I believe its the depth of it. How do you measure the depth of God's mercy/love? It's little nuggets like these that I enjoy when I read God's word. it's as if He placed his hand on me and became intimate by sharing these nuggets.

• Upvote 1

Smee, may I add my two cents worth to your wonderful thread?

Most of the comments are appropraite to any dialogue on religion itself. However, there is a major theme that is obvious by its ommission. To wit: since it is God who answers all prayers, then it is God who determines whose prayers will be both heard and answered.

What surprises me most is the anti-Catholic sentiment. Actually, no, I'm not surprised; humans must feel superior to something. Although most Protestants don't perceive it that way, the Roman Catholic Church remains the only biblically founded Church, warts and all. The Reformation created something else, mainly the freedom to worship under one's own ideas of God, liturgy, and one's self. SOme call it chaos. So who's the TRUE Christian? BTW, i'm not Catholic.

Many Muslims believe both Catholics and Protestants are simply infidels. In turn, Catholics and Protestants believe Jews are lost and misguided. Nor can Christians agree on many significant doctrines, despite all professing belief in the same Jesus and God. (according to Christian scholars, there are over 30,000 Christian sects)

And specifically to your question, a people, any people, are judged by what they call themselves. Now that the "Christian" tent shades the likes of Jonestown, David Koresh, the KKK, etc., the original pride associated with the term has deflated. Christian can mean just about anything nowadays.

So do Catholics call themselves Christian...or simply Catholic? If the former, who can blame them?

Thank you. Your gently worded insights into "Christianity's" ongoing conflict are quite appropriate and meaningful. May God help us all.

I agree with you easy... but one way I have always been told to look at it... being born in a garage, does not make you a car... neither does being born to a church going family make you a Christian believer! That can go for Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Episcopal s, Methodists... whatever! It's an individual decision, and each person's personal epic journey.

That being said... it is a valid point, not everyone here in the DV family agrees on everything... go figure!rolleyes.gif So maybe we need to lighten up a bit when we ask for prayer... not everyone is going to pray like you and me... that's o.k.... just say "thank you" and move on with your life if it's not how you would do it. Besides, I know over the years my prayers have changed drastically from where I started, and realistically I am not finished yet either... so I need to give others a chance to grow, learn, and change as well. Simple as that! wink.gif

Thanks again for another level headed post. All of us may not pray in the same way. That's ok. My spirituality has evolved over the years and makes me unique. I would hope that a prayer from any human being regardless of their religious beliefs would not be rejected by a member that is seeking support. Take care everyone! :D

• Upvote 2

So if someone asks for my prayers and let's say I'm a Buddhist or and Hare Krishna, are my prayers not worthy? I understand this is more a question regarding Catholics and Christians, but my question is still the same.

I've never disclosed my religion or beliefs on this forum, nor will I, but if I pray for myself and others out of pureness and good, does it really matter if it is Jesus Christ, a Saint, or Vishnu that I pray to?

Would appreciate all input :)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So if someone asks for my prayers and let's say I'm a Buddhist or and Hare Krishna, are my prayers not worthy? I understand this is more a question regarding Catholics and Christians, but my question is still the same.

I've never disclosed my religion or beliefs on this forum, nor will I, but if I pray for myself and others out of pureness and good, does it really matter if it is Jesus Christ, a Saint, or Vishnu that I pray to?

All prayers are worthy in my opinion. You are wise to not disclose your religious beliefs on this forum. Take care Tiff. My K is good! :D

• Upvote 2

All prayers are worthy in my opinion. You are wise to not disclose your religious beliefs on this forum. Take care Tiff. My K is good! :D

Thanks Ski! I just feel that if we live in the light and good, living our lives being the best we can be, then how can us praying and asking for goodness to come to others be seen as bad? I've NEVER commented on a religious thread, but Smee and the other members that commented piqued my response.

• Upvote 3

That is perfect! Very well put IMO.

r2

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Ski! I just feel that if we live in the light and good, living our lives being the best we can be, then how can us praying and asking for goodness to come to others be seen as bad? I've NEVER commented on a religious thread, but Smee and the other members that commented piqued my response.

I agree with you. At this point I'm checking out of this thread for various reasons. Arguing religion and politics have become too prevalent on this site. I choose to not engage in the topics. Maybe I will see you around on another thread Tiff. Be well!

Ski

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Jesus told us to pray to the Father in his (Jesus) name. You are talking to the Father when you pray in Jesus name. Becuase Jesus is the one that paid the price for your prayers to be answered by the Father. Because of Jesus we have access to the Father. But only through Jesus.

As far as who should pray for you. It should be a christian, but i have not seen many christians that have true faith to get a prayer answered. They always have an excuse for it not happening even before they pray. I am steadily seeing God heal people right in front of me when i lay hands on them and command healing in Jesus name. But when i talk to other christians about what i am seeing they only want to argue about it and say i am doing it wrong. Thats like going to the doctor and saying hey man i know that guy got healed after he came to you but your doing something wrong. Christians today do not want to take responsibility. So it really doesnt matter to me if they are christian or not because most of the time it doesnt work any ways because they dont believe. My 4 year old daughter is better at praying and actually getting results than most christians are.

Thats why we dont go to church much any more. We get tired of christians begging God to come and do something when he gave us the authority and power to do it in Jesus name just like the deciples and apostles used to do 2000 years ago.

You can call me crazy or Jesus freak or what ever floats your boat but you aint seeing what im seeing. And if and when you just go out and do the word like Jesus said and start seeing stuff happen you will probably leave your powerless church as well. Dont get me wrong church is ok i just wish the church would wake up thats all.

• Upvote 4

I just feel that if we live in the light and good, living our lives being the best we can be, then how can us praying and asking for goodness to come to others be seen as bad?

I don't understand that either Tiffani. rolleyes.gif

I am praying for people to become more open to the love and goodness in others.

Praying for more harmony and peace in this world of different views.

That is perfect! Very well put IMO.

r2

Thank You R2d2dc. smile.gif

Smee, of course you should pray for our fallen Marines and their families, you knew that already, didn't you. smile.gif

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 4

yes it makes a difference. first you mention out of pureness and/or good, my goodness, pureness/righteousness is looked upon as a filthy rag according to God's word T929. I don't want to sound all legal about prayer but God is clear about approaching Him. Let me share something about sin that helped me understand God better, and I by no means know it all but I do know those who humble themselves receive grace and I prefer his grace over my own self righteousness. I was asked about sin, this was in reference to going to clubs dancing. We all would like to have it simple, this is sin and that isn't. I was asked if dancing was sin and my response was "it is when I dance". Sin is being disobedient to God. He may tell you to go to Vegas and tell me to go to Honduras and I respond by telling God "hey, it's OK for T929 to go to vegas so I'm going too!" I'm in sin due to my disobedience, we are to follow the Holy Spirits lead not lead him around by a bullring. Getting back to prayer, muslims pray at regular times each day several times a day. But it's mechanical/soulish realm which opens them up to demons. Remember satan quoted scripture to Adam & Eve in the garden and he quoted scripture to Jesus as well but he always has his perverted interpretation of God's word. He will deceive us with how we can pray too and when we bow we basically just gave him authority or an open door to our lives. As christians I can pray over you, send prayers your way and oppress you with it, proverbs says there is death and life in the power of the tongue and those who love it shall eat the fruit thereof, words are powerful. I explained this to my daughter when she was younger, she said words are just words. I said "I hate you!" and her feelings were hurt. I then explained that I love you but she understood the power of words. How many children grow up never getting a break or struggling in life because someone they looked up to told them they were useless, never amount to anything. I've spoke with many that were abused mentally or emotionally by "words" spoken words! Didn't God speak this world into existence by his spoken word? YES! Do you think now our prayers can have pure/good intentions but may not be God's will for our/their lives. That's why we pray to him, intercede, and ask God to reveal His will. does that mean I should ask God if I should pray for you to be healed before I pray for you to be healed? NO! God told us in the old testament what the blessings are and what the curse is and I don't read one sickness, disease or illness under the blessing. So I know that I cand pray for you to be healed. The man with the withered hand asked Jesus if it be his will to heal him to heal him. Jesus responded in a tense, mode and voice of "I will". In the greek what he said is from this moment until eternity it was his will to heal ALL of us. His response was for all of us. I hope that helps.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Christians are those who take on the Body of Christ. Who swap their old life with Jesus. We become a new creation in Christ born of the spirit of God. Therefore we become a new creation- born again. It is out of this new creation which is in the body of Christ that we pray. Not out of the old man. So this is the difference between other religions.

Drop the labels of Catholic or Baptist etc. You are either in his body born of his spirit or you are not. If you are then you have a new identity. Born of God in the Spirit of God just as Jesus was born not of Man but of the seed of God. Mary was the human side not the God side. So Catholicism has no meaning in that sense. Either we are born of God or we are not. One cannot enter his domain unless we are born of him as no flesh can enter. Human rites and rituals have no meaning and just serve to confuse and detract from the essence of salvation. There is one God, one Shepard one hard and fast rule that one must enter through the figurative old testament curtain that is the body of Jesus and therefore one people. God has set this rule and not man.

• Upvote 3

with all due respect you have a very worldly view of God and prayer. There is only ONE way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ, His words, not mine. People will pray over you and inadvertantly curse you in the process, those prayers I place the blood of Jesus between them and myself. The soulish realm is being unlocked more and more, and it isn't God's will for us to operate like that. True worshippers worship in "spirit and truth" once again God's word, not mine.

I commend you on how delicately and beautifully your statement is written.

I too believe and do the same.

May you be blessed

Luci

• Upvote 2