Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Wyoming House advances doomsday bill.

RodandStaff

Wyoming House advances doomsday bill

By JEREMY PELZER Star-Tribune capital bureau | Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 6:00 pm |

CHEYENNE — State representatives on Friday advanced legislation to launch a study into what Wyoming should do in the event of a complete economic or political collapse in the United States. House Bill 85 passed on first reading by a voice vote. It would create a state-run government continuity task force, which would study and prepare Wyoming for potential catastrophes, from disruptions in food and energy supplies to a complete meltdown of the federal government.

The task force would look at the feasibility of

Wyoming issuing its own alternative currency, if needed. And House members approved an amendment Friday by state Rep. Kermit Brown, R-Laramie, to have the task force also examine conditions under which Wyoming would need to implement its own military draft, raise a standing army, and acquire strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.

The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. David Miller, R-Riverton, has said he doesn’t anticipate any major crises hitting America anytime soon. But with the national debt exceeding $15 trillion and protest movements growing around the country, Miller said Wyoming — which has a comparatively good economy and sound state finances — needs to make sure it’s protected should any unexpected emergency hit the U.S.

Several House members spoke in favor of the legislation, saying there was no harm in preparing for the worst.

“I don’t think there’s anyone in this room today what would come up here and say that this country is in good shape, that the world is stable and in good shape — because that is clearly not the case,” state Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis, said. “To put your head in the sand and think that nothing bad’s going to happen, and that we have no obligation to the citizens of the state of Wyoming to at least have the discussion, is not healthy.”

Wyoming’s Department of Homeland Security already has a statewide crisis management plan, but it doesn’t cover what the state should do in the event of an extreme nationwide political or economic collapse. In recent years, lawmakers in at least six states have introduced legislation to create a state currency, all unsuccessfully.

The task force would include state lawmakers, the director of the Wyoming Department of Homeland Security, the Wyoming attorney general and the Wyoming National Guard’s adjutant general, among others.

The bill must pass two more House votes before it would head to the Senate for consideration. The original bill appropriated $32,000 for the task force, though the Joint Appropriations Committee slashed that number in half earlier this week.

University of Wyoming political science professor Jim King said the potential for a complete unraveling of the U.S. government and economy is “astronomically remote” in the foreseeable future.

But King noted that the federal government set up a Continuity of Government Commission in 2002, of which former U.S. Sen. Al Simpson, R-Wyo., was co-chairman. However, King said he didn’t know of any states that had established a similar board.

Contact capital bureau reporter Jeremy Pelzer at 307-632-1244 or jeremy.pelzer@trib,com

Link: http://trib.com/news...c0f58c00bd.html

• Upvote 2

The reason for the above post is not to scare anyone... the good Lord knows there is enough in our lives without manufacturing things. That said though... a little preparedness doesn't hurt anyone. Here are some wise words from of old... "Go to the ant, consider her ways, and be wise. Which having no chief, overseer, or ruler, provides her food in the summer, and gathers her supplies in the harvest." (Proverbs 6:6-8).

My point is not to alarm you.. my point is to remind us all that there is nothing wrong with being prepared in a level headed, practical sort of way. Learn to garden if your healthy enough to operate the working end of a hoe (that's a garden tool for you city folk.. not, well, you know! wink.gif). Have some reserves for whatever nature can throw at us... storms, floods, quakes, etc...). Then there are all kinds of man made problems we may have prepare for... a simple trucking strike could empty the grocery store in about 3 days, wars, rumors of wars.. you get the picture. I'm just saying that once this investment RV's, if you don't have a stock of long lasting back up supplies (6-12 months per person) then you really need to consider it. It's for your own well being. I am trying to make this just a gentle reminder to all of us (myself included.. I am not in the place financially right now to stock up like I would like to, but we do know how to grow our own food... but that can take 3-4 months). I have grown to really love this DV family... and not saying something would be irresponsible on my part. Each of us have our talents and gifts to contribute, my wife and mine just happens to be in the growing of food and preserving it. Nuff said.... wub.gif to my DV family.

here in wyoming we have no debt--1 billion surplus every year :

smallest population--500,000

lowest crime rate

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Careful now... you might have to scoot over and make room for more neighbors if you keep up with a sales pitch like that! wink.gif

• Upvote 3

The reason for the above post is not to scare anyone... the good Lord knows there is enough in our lives without manufacturing things. That said though... a little preparedness doesn't hurt anyone. Here are some wise words from of old... "Go to the ant, consider her ways, and be wise. Which having no chief, overseer, or ruler, provides her food in the summer, and gathers her supplies in the harvest." (Proverbs 6:6-8).

My point is not to alarm you.. my point is to remind us all that there is nothing wrong with being prepared in a level headed, practical sort of way. Learn to garden if your healthy enough to operate the working end of a hoe (that's a garden tool for you city folk.. not, well, you know! wink.gif). Have some reserves for whatever nature can throw at us... storms, floods, quakes, etc...). Then there are all kinds of man made problems we may have prepare for... a simple trucking strike could empty the grocery store in about 3 days, wars, rumors of wars.. you get the picture. I'm just saying that once this investment RV's, if you don't have a stock of long lasting back up supplies (6-12 months per person) then you really need to consider it. It's for your own well being. I am trying to make this just a gentle reminder to all of us (myself included.. I am not in the place financially right now to stock up like I would like to, but we do know how to grow our own food... but that can take 3-4 months). I have grown to really love this DV family... and not saying something would be irresponsible on my part. Each of us have our talents and gifts to contribute, my wife and mine just happens to be in the growing of food and preserving it. Nuff said.... wub.gif to my DV family.

Careful now... you might have to scoot over and make room for more neighbors if you keep up with a sales pitch like that! wink.gif

Thanks for your post and concerns R&S. If politicians in a state are looking at this we may need to take a look at it. They are privy to some info we are not privy to. I don't take your post as fear mongering. Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post RandS...you know we DVer's love you too....I am like you with limited resources to stock pile with but we have few acres to garden on and it's absolutely one of my favorite things....I don't can much, just put up peppers...we usually give away some but this year I'm thinking of canning...great ideas for a little preparations....Have a great day Rod!

• Upvote 1

Would that aircraft carrier be a lake, reservoir, river or creek class of construction. Just asking.

NMGarand

NMGarand... Very sharp eye.. and sorry, I have no idea on that. emot-questioned.gif Don't know of any real big, big lakes (like the Great Lakes) to even hold an aircraft carrier... so I am not sure what exactly they are referring to. It is interesting that they are considering printing their own currency though. Anyone have any thoughts on that? TwoCents.gif

NMGarand... Very sharp eye.. and sorry, I have no idea on that. emot-questioned.gif Don't know of any real big, big lakes (like the Great Lakes) to even hold an aircraft carrier... so I am not sure what exactly they are referring to. It is interesting that they are considering printing their own currency though. Anyone have any thoughts on that? TwoCents.gif

I think they meant something like a C-5 or C-17 to carry troops, Sorties.. Just a thought

• Upvote 2

One2one, ssssh we don't want everyone to know about our treasure!

Sorry... but the cat is out of the bag! wink.gif Now the question is.... will you Wyomians (hope that term don't offend anyone) be willing to show a few of the DV family around your great state post RV??? biggrin.gif I have been reading C.J. Box's books and have been hankering for a trip out west again... and I am sure I won't be alone if I know some of these folks around here! Surely ya'll have a little room for some visitors in your vast state??? unsure.gif Maybe??? blush.gif

Update:

Before passing House Bill 85 by a voice vote on second reading, lawmakers struck out language directing the task force to study Wyoming instituting its own military draft, raising a standing army, and acquiring strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.

Read more: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/doomsday-bill-moves-forward-minus-the-aircraft-carrier/article_00916968-6171-11e1-a45b-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1nbuqvdVN

Bye bye WY Army, Air Force, and Navy!

I am a single woman (have not gotten used to the word widow yet) with two cats. At any given moment in time I have enough canned and dry food to sustain myself and the two cats for at least 6 months. I am purposely leaving out the freezer full because some catastrophes would mean no hydro-electric to run them by. Of course if that happens one used up what is in the freezer first because if you keep the lid closed it takes a while for the frozen stuff to thaw.

(Oh, a tip ... a freezer that is full will stay cold and keep food frozen longer than one that is half full or almost empty. The frozen food acts like ice cubes keeping everything frozen. The other part of this tip is that it takes less power to keep a fridge empty, or only partly filled than one that is full. So .;. freezer full and fridge empty ... or degrees of each of course.)

So, as I said, most of my supplies are either canned, or dry, such as milk, soups, pasta, noodles, rice, cereals (the kind that need to be cooked since the "prepared" cereals, the flakes and circles and weaves and all that stuff will not "keep" as long as the uncooked grains).

The missing ingredient? Water of course. I keep several gallon jugs and a few 2 litre pop bottles filled with water which I dump and refil with fresh water a couple of times a year.

And if you are going to start stocking up, remember to make sure you have a balance of protein, carbs, and preferrably iron rich foods. Also, dried foods take less space and weigh less than canned foods which usually have liquids added to the item being canned. About those liquids, don't throw them away. Even if you are not in a crisis situation, they are vitamin and mineral rich and should be use. When I open a can of peas or green beans I drain off the liquid and it goes into a glass jar in the freezer. I put one of whatever the water came from, like one kernel of corn, or one pea, or one yellow bean, in with the water so I know what that liquid came from. Then when I make a homemade soup, I use that as all or part of the water I need to make the soup.

Tomatoes going soft? Throw them into the freezer. When you want to make a soup or sauce, take them out and set them in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. That will losen the skin. slip it off with your fingers. Cut the tomato in half and cut out the stem or core and there you go ... tomatoes to cook with. Bananas past their prime? Again, into the freezer. They go black and when you take them out of the freezer, let them that a bit, cut off one end and like milking a cow or a goat, just grab at the closed end and squeeze so the banana pulp squishes out the open end. Banana bread, or cake, or pancakes, or muffins. You are saving vitamins and pottasium that you paid good money for and can't afford to throw away just because they didn't get eaten when they were still edible.

I had better end here, I could go on forever. I just hope everyone has backup. We don't know what will happen and it is up to each of us to look after ourselves with supplies of food and clothing, blankets, pet food, gasoline, propane and a propane grill ... here I go again!

Point is we have to look out for ourselves because the government, and I don't care what country or state or province you live in, the government is going to look after you if it all hits the fan. Those of you who didn't live through things like the Cuban Missile Crisis won't know what a lot of families went through at that time. And yes, some stores sold out of cans and bread almost overnight.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 1

Nice Smee2. There are also a few other states prepping themselves to be self sufficient only not broadcasting it. There is ample talk of Utah, Montana , Idaho, and parts of Washington state. Hopefully after RV would be a great time to buy a large parcel of land and head up there and start making preparations for the worst when it comes, because it will come. My :twocents: