Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Poverty in Iraq is disastrous

k98nights

Poverty in Iraq is disastrous

20/02/2012 11:06

cms-image-000092240.jpg

DUHOK, Feb. 20 (AKnews) - Seven million people living below the poverty line, on less that $2 a day, is disastrous in oil-rich and plentiful Iraq, said a member of the Council of Representatives.

The figure amounts to 23 percent of the population, who experience bad conditions as a result of extreme poverty, are earning less than $30 (37,000 IQD) a month, according to a report from the US-Iraqi Organization of Human Rights.

Veyan Daxel, Chairperson of the Services and Reconstruction Commission in the Iraqi Council of Representatives told AKnews on Sunday that while this proportion is not low, it is disastrous in a country like Iraq which has has tremendous amounts of oil and other riches.

Iraq's GDP is currently $170bn (198.3tr IQD), and is expected to rise to $360bn (419.9tr IQD) by 2015.

He said: "This number of people living below the poverty line need laws for social security and to ensure the rights of citizens to any job - like widows, people with special needs, and the elderly - in order to help them cope with their daily living conditions."

A small percentage of those affected live in the Kurdistan region, while the majority live in the south and center of Iraq.

However, the spokesman for the Ministry for Planning and Development Cooperation, claims that the figures are from 2007 and that the current poverty line is actually marked by a maximum salary of $62 (77,000 IQD) a month.

Speaking to Alsabaah news agency, the ministry said they have prepared a $386m (450bn IQD) strategy to reduce poverty to 16 percent by 2014 under a larger plan that includes the improvement of education, health, employment and ration cards.

He added that surveys of all the provinces will be undertaken by the government to determine poverty levels.

Daxel added: "We are monitoring the service projects in Iraq and working to activate a greater role for the ministries because they provide employment opportunities for Iraqi citizens.

"But the problem is the significant delay in some projects, lack of money allocated and corruption."

By Khudr Khallat

RN/SS/AKnews

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/1/291032/

• Upvote 2

This is just pitiful..I can see this going on in other countries that have no resources of any kind. but iraq is and has grown enough now and their government has been in place long enough that this should have already been addressed and taken care of......but, NO, they will not take care of their people untill they have lined their own greedy pockets to the max...When is enough, enough? pitiful justt piiful

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

ERBIL TAKES CARE OF THIS. WHY THE HECK ARE THESE POLITICIANS SO CONCENTRATED ON POWER. THEY WILL LOSE IT TO ARAB SPRING IF THEY DON'T GET THEIR HOUSE IN ORDER.

Oops, sorry about the caps. Just couldn't stop long enough to undo it. I was shouting at the time. It just makes me sick that these folks have to suffer when they are sitting on possibly the richest country in the world. Sickening. They see it as if Saddam were still there. They are still NOT reaping the benefits of this country.

• Upvote 2

Its the worst side of all of this. We as fat lazy rich people don't see that stuff in our lives. Living in America, a poor person to us is wealthy and well off in Iraq. Those folks need this a lot more then we do.

Just remember this stuff exists when you are counting your zeros. God rewards those whom give. Remember to set aside a percentage of the profits you make off that dinar... it might be the difference of somebody's dinner.

God bless you all, and GO RV already!

P.S. Remember I said "profits." You can't help a single person if you blow all your cash.

• Upvote 6

This is just pitiful..I can see this going on in other countries that have no resources of any kind. but iraq is and has grown enough now and their government has been in place long enough that this should have already been addressed and taken care of......but, NO, they will not take care of their people untill they have lined their own greedy pockets to the max...When is enough, enough? pitiful justt piiful

I evened you out. I can't imagine why anyone would - (neg) you for your post. The ordinary people in Iraq are living in poverty while the GOI and CBI try to get their stuff together.

Bondlady's chat gave me some hope that Iraq is working to help their people. I hope her/his words are accurate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is branded as the UN's experiment in nation building. Looks pretty successful wouldn't you say? ........ NOT.....This is really tugging at my heart. And their government defends itself with the B/S that the poor are really earning $67 per month. I'm not sure a child could eat at Taco Bell for that amount of $ and stay alive. Let alone be clothed and housed. I cannot comment on this anymore...... :angry::(

• Upvote 3

Iraq has it's poor just as any country does. However, from prior research I've done... there are a lot of middle/upper class who live just as we do. You can research the percentage of population that have cellphones, internet, etc. and they conduct their lives like us, daily grind, soccer games, amusement parks, attending college, Their lives differ in that there are frequent interuptions due to violence, bombings, etc. But from what I've read, the majority lead normal lives, just like us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Iraq has it's poor just as any country does. However, from prior research I've done... there are a lot of middle/upper class who live just as we do. You can research the percentage of population that have cellphones, internet, etc. and they conduct their lives like us, daily grind, soccer games, amusement parks, attending college, Their lives differ in that there are frequent interuptions due to violence, bombings, etc. But from what I've read, the majority lead normal lives, just like us.

I'm curious to learn of your research. Please, show us your facts and findings. Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

I evened you out. I can't imagine why anyone would - (neg) you for your post. The ordinary people in Iraq are living in poverty while the GOI and CBI try to get their stuff together.

Bondlady's chat gave me some hope that Iraq is working to help their people. I hope her/his words are accurate.

thankyou skitealwedrop, I hope bondlady is right too....She certainly has a good grip on all the news...again, I appreciate you

• Upvote 1

I'm curious to learn of your research. Please, show us your facts and findings. Thanks in advance.

Not sure why I'm being negged. The information is out there. This is oneof them.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=0&v=69&l=en

There are also Iraq's who blog their daily life. I also posted that link inside another post but I'm having difficulty locating it since I didn't start the post.

Edited by WorkerBee
  • Upvote 3

Its the tone of your post.

When you say like the rest of us, do you mean that if it is not in your life, you just step over it and go on like there is nothing wrong? Until it affects you, then you can just chalk it up as part of life. They are lazy and could work if they want to, if there were only a job to take. You want food, but are not working, so get a job, if there were a job.

I hope you are not that callus, I doubt you are!

I did not neg you!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Its the tone of your post.

When you say like the rest of us, do you mean that if it is not in your life, you just step over it and go on like there is nothing wrong? Until it affects you, then you can just chalk it up as part of life. They are lazy and could work if they want to, if there were only a job to take. You want food, but are not working, so get a job, if there were a job.

I hope you are not that callus, I doubt you are!

I think you read too much into my post. Being callous or hard hearted was certainly not my intention. I'm just saying the press can spin a story. There's research out there, if you look for it. Peace.

• Upvote 2

I think you read too much into my post. Being callous or hard hearted was certainly not my intention. I'm just saying the press can spin a story. There's research out there, if you look for it. Peace.

I believe you and it probably was read too deeply. Just a little too matter a fact I guess.

I am a republican. but my anti rep came out a little. I have been arguing with my stnch republican dad lately, and he spouts the word entitlements to much for my taste. Some people really are in trouble, and there are no solutions if there are no jobs.

• Upvote 3

Not sure why I'm being negged. The information is out there. This is oneof them.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=0&v=69&l=en

There are also Iraq's who blog their daily life. I also posted that link inside another post but I'm having difficulty locating it since I didn't start the post.

Your arrogance makes me ill. I'm a intuitive person. Walk in the shoes of the average Iraqi and get back to me. I guarantee that you will not enjoy your experience.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

When is enough, enough?!!

ERBIL TAKES CARE OF THIS. WHY THE HECK ARE THESE POLITICIANS SO CONCENTRATED ON POWER. THEY WILL LOSE IT TO ARAB SPRING IF THEY DON'T GET THEIR HOUSE IN ORDER.

Oops, sorry about the caps. Just couldn't stop long enough to undo it. I was shouting at the time. It just makes me sick that these folks have to suffer when they are sitting on possibly the richest country in the world. Sickening. They see it as if Saddam were still there. They are still NOT reaping the benefits of this country.

I am YELLING inside! angry.gif

This is branded as the UN's experiment in nation building. Looks pretty successful wouldn't you say? ........ NOT.....This is really tugging at my heart. And their government defends itself with the B/S that the poor are really earning $67 per month. I'm not sure a child could eat at Taco Bell for that amount of $ and stay alive. Let alone be clothed and housed. I cannot comment on this anymore...... angry.gifsad.gif

My heart aches for these people. It Kills me that the "powers that be" are so inept. angry.gifsad.gif

It's all good. I do have a problem with being terse. I've asked for help from Francie in another post. Maybe she'll have pity one me!

WorkerBee I know it is hard to convey what you are truly meaning to say in only written words on a post.

I am familiar with you and your post and I know you have a "Huge" heart. You are just fine by me Missy. emot-hug.gif

• Upvote 2

Your arrogance makes me ill. I'm a intuitive person. Walk in the shoes of the average Iraqi and get back to me. I guarantee that you will not enjoy your experience.

Geez, he doesnt have to walk in some of the Iraqi peoples shoes to not enjoy it. There are many people here in the US that we wouldnt find enjoyable walking in there shoes. Workerbee is only saying that some are in poverty and some arent, just like all over the world. The sad thing is the Iragi gov could really help there people more.

If you dont like what anyone says here, move on, there is plenty of reading on Iraq and the dinar.

• Upvote 4

When is enough, enough?!!!

are you asking me what I mean or meant by "when is enough, enough?

If you are, my intensions were to be asking, just how much $'s/dollars/monies does it take for the higher ups or elites to have in their pockets before they actually begin to help the poor....sorry, I didn't explain myself better or I didn't word that exactly right!

[

WorkerBee I know it is hard to convey what you are truly meaning to say in only written words on a post.

I am familiar with you and your post and I know you have a "Huge" heart. You are just fine by me Missy. emot-hug.gif

Thank you! If my post came across as uncaring I truly apologize. That was not the intent of my post.

• Upvote 2

are you asking me what I mean or meant by "when is enough, enough?

If you are, my intensions were to be asking, just how much $'s/dollars/monies does it take for the higher ups or elites to have in their pockets before they actually begin to help the poor....sorry, I didn't explain myself better or I didn't word that exactly right!

Learning All I Can smile.gif I was Totally Agreeing with every word of your post! You were elloquent with your words.

• Upvote 1

http://www.indexmund...x?t=0&v=69&l=en

Don't know why you are neg either. But one thing I know strikes a nerve is that you left out all the war made widows and their children. Right here in the US there are a lot of folks living in poverty. More than ever. It is worse than ever in the US history. Now in Iraq, they have never even had an opportunity to live in the middle class. Saddam decided. Now they have the chance and all the politicians put their agendas before the citizens. It's well over due for them to finally prosper.

• Upvote 1