Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New Jersey

Mongo

Chris Christies lowering of the flag to half mast for Whitney Houston, to me is an outrage. The act of lowering a flage to half mast should only be reserved for men and women who served this country with honor and dignity

not someone that has been in and out of rehab and never served. Chris Christie, you should be ashamed:angry:

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 3

Chris Christies lowering of the flag to half mast for Whitney Houston, to me is an outrage. The act of lowering a flage to half mast should only be reserved for men and women who served this country with honor and dignity

not someone that has been in and out of rehab and never served. Chris Christie, you should be ashamed:angry:

First of all, she is FROM NJ. Second, she did MORE in her 48 years here on earth then any 500 people will EVER do in their ENTIRE LIVES. Drugs? Yeah, it happens. But lowering a "flag" JUST for men and women who serve this country is an outrage. Without entertainment this world would be a $* hole. Do you know how many times she went over seas to entertain our troops? Look it up. You cannot deny her brilliance. Lowering a flag? That makes you mad? Hahahahaha... Please... :angry:

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 22

Just goes to show you the extent of idiotic butt kissing that goes on in this country. Rediculous.

First of all, she is FROM NJ. Second, she did MORE in her 48 years here on earth then any 500 people will EVER do in their ENTIRE LIVES. Drugs? Yeah, it happens. But lowering a "flag" JUST for men and women who serve this country is an outrage. Without entertainment this world would be a $* hole. Do you know how many times she went over seas to entertain our troops? Look it up. You cannot deny her brilliance. Lowering a flag? That makes you mad? Hahahahaha... Please... :angry:

your post is idiotic, imo.

The 2nd part of the original post about rehab was a bit much though, should have left that out of it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I must respectfully disagree Mongo. Having served my country, I understand your point. I also know that not everybody is built to serve, as in military service. Service to one's country can be attained through many different ways. One example would be Whitney's rendition of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl, years back. It was by far the greatest performance I have seen. Now I am not saying that in and of itself is enough. I am only saying that any person can contribute to this country in his/her own way. Yes, she had her issues, as do we all. I believe she was a great American. This is truly a state matter, anyways. She was a Jersey daughter and deserves their respect. RIP Whitney. As always, just my opinion. ;)

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

aw heck, let's just keep the flag at half staff for everyone, all human beings are on the same level really, all contribute to the world in some way, shape, or form no matter how 'great' or 'small' they are in the public eye. Whether it's a Whitney, a General Mcarthur, or Joe at the diner frying hash and never amounts to much more than a studio apartment and a tv dinner...a human being is a human being, ya? so lets dispense with the drama. ;)

• Upvote 4

For what it's worth:

Flag Etiquette

Half Staff Displays

From the Nov.-Dec. 1994 National Flag Foundations "Standard Bearer" Magazine.

This article remains the copyrighted material of the National Flag Foundation and is presented here by permission.

Flying the flag at half-staff is an area of flag etiquette that most people want to make sure they get right. It is also an area for which the road to error is routinely paved with good intentions. With that in mind, we offer this refresher course as the all-important intersection where knowledge meets benevolence.

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

We owe that respect to our living, our dead and our flag.

To National Flag Foundation Home Page

• Upvote 10

I think its fine that they lowered the flag for her...she is an American and is well loved by many people...I have never served in the military but it's my flag too....our military fights for the rights and freedom of Americans, not just themselves...all deaths are tragic....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's the state she was born in. States and towns are very proud of famous people that were born in their area. She was the most awarded female artist. It probably happen one time. :)

I must respectfully disagree Mongo. Having served my country, I understand your point. I also know that not everybody is built to serve, as in military service. Service to one's country can be attained through many different ways. One example would be Whitney's rendition of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl, years back. It was by far the greatest performance I have seen. Now I am not saying that in and of itself is enough. I am only saying that any person can contribute to this country in his/her own way. Yes, she had her issues, as do we all. I believe she was a great American. This is truly a state matter, anyways. She was a Jersey daughter and deserves their respect. RIP Whitney. As always, just my opinion. ;)

GO RV, then BV

Nicely said, thank you....as a vet it echos some of my own thoughts and feelings

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

GO RV, then BV

please see above link. :lol:

For what it's worth:

Flag Etiquette

Half Staff Displays

From the Nov.-Dec. 1994 National Flag Foundations "Standard Bearer" Magazine.

This article remains the copyrighted material of the National Flag Foundation and is presented here by permission.

Flying the flag at half-staff is an area of flag etiquette that most people want to make sure they get right. It is also an area for which the road to error is routinely paved with good intentions. With that in mind, we offer this refresher course as the all-important intersection where knowledge meets benevolence.

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

We owe that respect to our living, our dead and our flag.

To National Flag Foundation Home Page

Great post, this is as it should be but then here you go again all the liberals want to make everything all right for everyone.

Edited by carlablum
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2