Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ban Ki-moon to Attend Baghdad AL Summit

JayLee202

Forgive me if this has been posted already. I scrolled but didn't see it yet.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon intended to attend the Arab League (AL) summit scheduled to be held in Baghdad late in March, an Iraqi official newspaper reported Thursday.

"United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, high-level officials of international organizations and foreign ambassadors intended to attend the opening session of the Baghdad Arab summit on March 29," the state-run newspaper al-Sabah quoted unnamed Arab sources as saying.

Iraqi Minister of Foreign Affairs Hoshyar Zebari met Wednesday with ambassadors of Arab countries to Baghdad and explained to them Baghdad's logistic and security preparations for the summit which will be preceded by a meeting for Arab economy ministers on March 27, while the foreign ministers will meet on March 28.

Zebari also confirmed that "Iraq is intending to send envoys on the level of ministers to submit official invitation letters to the Arab kings and presidents to attend the summit."

Earlier, Iraqi deputy foreign minister Labid Abbawi told local media that "all the (Arab) countries confirmed their participation on highest levels in the summit."

However, Abbawi said that "there might be exception from some countries for reasons of their own, but we have received promises that if the heads of the countries would not attend the summit they will be represented by highest level officials."

Iraqi authorities also announced that the day of the summit will be an official holiday and security measures will be tightened in the capital to avoid any possible security deterioration.

Early in February, AL Deputy Secretary General Ahmed bin Helli announced during his visit to Iraq that Baghdad will host the Arab summit on March 29.

The Arab summit was initially scheduled to be held in Baghdad in 2011, but was postponed to March 2012 due to the unrest in the region.

Link

• Upvote 5

thankyou jaylee for this post. Hope they don't change their minds like last year. Something inside me tells me that if they "do not" rv before the summit, they will call it off again this year...They truely need something to make themselves look good for the other nations and countries and the RV would certainly be the ticket to give them that specialty. I also feel if the summit is called off again, we will be looking way on down the road before we see an rv....If you have your suitcases packed, you will need to put some mothballs in them. Hope I'm wrong

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the article JayLee.

Now I am getting confused-- which, these days, doesn't take too much to get accomplished :P

If I am understanding this correctly, and after reading the articles for the last few days- [hopefully someone can correct my thinking if it's wrong]

The National Conference AKA Arab Summit will be held March 29th

and this Sunday are preparatory meetings to hammer the kinks out before?

Or are the Conference and Summit 2 separate things-- one this weekend and one at the end of next month?

:blink:

confused

Now I am getting confused-- which, these days, doesn't take too much to get accomplished :P

If I am understanding this correctly, and after reading the articles for the last few days- [hopefully someone can correct my thinking if it's wrong]

Or are the Conference and Summit 2 separate things-- one this weekend and one at the end of next month?

confused

2 separate things...conference = Sunday/ Summit = 29th of March....Just hope things go well Sunday and things are ironed out and Summit continues to be in their plans...I just hate the way mothballs smell..don't you?

• Upvote 1

2 separate things...conference = Sunday/ Summit = 29th of March....Just hope things go well Sunday and things are ironed out and Summit continues to be in their plans...I just hate the way mothballs smell..don't you?

Thank You ever so much. I guess too much Arabish reading will put cobwebs in the brain. :mellow::lol:

And it's Friday.

Yes, mothballs smell terrible.

Happy weekend

• Upvote 1

confused

rolleyes.gif The Arab Summit is March 29th (which this art is about).

The National Conference (Meeting) is totally different. The date has not been set yet. We hear before end of Feb.

This Sunday, the 12th, is a meeting of the "higher powers" (political blocks), hopefully to ALL agree on the details of the NC

and set The Date. They could even do more than that, we wait and see...TwoCents.gif

I think I'm right. Somebody help me out, if not.

rolleyes.gif The Arab Summit is March 29th (which this art is about).

The National Conference (Meeting) is totally different. The date has not been set yet. We hear before end of Feb.

This Sunday, the 12th, is a meeting of the "higher powers" (political blocks), hopefully to ALL agree on the details of the NC

and set The Date. They could even do more than that, we wait and see...TwoCents.gif

I think I'm right. Somebody help me out, if not.

Thank You for the clarification.

Not expecting a whole lot this weekend. I think [if I remember correctly] the ministry positions [3] will be announced at the National Conference, and what people are waiting for with bated breath.

FWIW, there was a post around August last year that I thought was intriguing-- it was a rumor, but the validity of the details and what was involved [Exxon] has stuck in my mind since. For the life of me, I can't find it. It did, however, say the RV would be at the beginning of March.

The timeline presented with these meetings kind of point that direction.

:lol: Do you hold them by the wings or by the legs when you smell them? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh .. to to funny :lol:

Justntime ... you are 100 % correct, Last year it was Libya and Eygpt that caused them to cancel the Arab Summit, I am praying that Syria and Iran don't cause a cancellation this year !!!! I always thought , how could they host the Arab Summit with a currency worth nothing ??? So I hung my hopes on the Summit, and was really let down when they cancelled..... I hope they go through with it this year March 29th sounds great to me :D

Thanks for the laugh .. to to funny :lol:

Justntime ... you are 100 % correct, Last year it was Libya and Eygpt that caused them to cancel the Arab Summit, I am praying that Syria and Iran don't cause a cancellation this year !!!! I always thought , how could they host the Arab Summit with a currency worth nothing ??? So I hung my hopes on the Summit, and was really let down when they cancelled..... I hope they go through with it this year March 29th sounds great to me :D

Iraq is known for being the no show. But they were shy...... ;)