Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Report: Iran Claims Subs ‘Can Easily Target ' U.S. Carriers in Persian Gulf.

alan_coaks_3

1 - 18 - 2012

Would Iran make the first move against the U.S. and fire torpedoes at the U.S. Fleet?

Possibly. And if it did, according to a report citing a senior Iranian military commander’s announcement today, the Islamic Republic could choose to ambush the American fleet with submarines.

kilo-class-submarine.jpg

Rear Admiral Farhad Amiri — who is also the Lieutenant Commander of the Iranian Army’s Self-Sufficiency Jihad – told Iran’s state news agency Fars that their navy has the best electric diesel submarines in the world. Amiri cautioned that while the U.S. has focused on Tehran’s “astonishing surface capabilities,” it has neglected to consider what could be the more dangerous undersea threat.

Amiri also told Fars that “When the submarine lies on the sea bed, it can easily target an aircraft carrier that is passing nearby…that is one of the US concerns since Iranian submarines are noiseless and can easily evade detection as they are equipped with the sonar-evading technology.”

The opening paragraph of the Fars story didn’t parse any words:

A senior Iranian military commander underlined that the Iranian Navy‘s subsurface vessels enjoy a high capability to confront enemies’ threats, and stated that Iran’s submarines are able to ambush and hit enemy vessels specially US Aircraft carriers from the seabed throughout the Persian Gulf.

Iran officially states that it has 17 Ghadir diesel electric subs in its fleet, according to Business Insider. Despite the overwhelming superiority of the U.S. military, the Iranian threat to vessels and oil shipments in the Persian Gulf is real, particularly in a sneak attack scenario.

Earlier this month Iran threatened the U.S. Fifth Fleet with attack after the John C. Stennis passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi said ”We advise, warn and recommend [the U.S. Navy] not to return this carrier to its previous location in the Persian Gulf.”

“We are not in the habit of repeating the warning and we warn only once,” Salehi said.

Whether this is pure bluster from Iran or a threat with teeth behind it remains to be seen.

(h/t Business Insider)

My link

• Upvote 2

alan thx for the post...Having been in the submarine service in the 60's and hear a moron brag about a fleet of electric diesel submarines is rather amusing.....evidently he has not been updated on the capabilities of modern naval warfare...I would not want to be on one of those subs if push comes to shove....jmho

• Upvote 3

1 - 18 - 2012

Would Iran make the first move against the U.S. and fire torpedoes at the U.S. Fleet?

Possibly. And if it did, according to a report citing a senior Iranian military commander’s announcement today, the Islamic Republic could choose to ambush the American fleet with submarines.

kilo-class-submarine.jpg

Rear Admiral Farhad Amiri — who is also the Lieutenant Commander of the Iranian Army’s Self-Sufficiency Jihad – told Iran’s state news agency Fars that their navy has the best electric diesel submarines in the world. Amiri cautioned that while the U.S. has focused on Tehran’s “astonishing surface capabilities,” it has neglected to consider what could be the more dangerous undersea threat.

Amiri also told Fars that “When the submarine lies on the sea bed, it can easily target an aircraft carrier that is passing nearby…that is one of the US concerns since Iranian submarines are noiseless and can easily evade detection as they are equipped with the sonar-evading technology.”

The opening paragraph of the Fars story didn’t parse any words:

A senior Iranian military commander underlined that the Iranian Navy‘s subsurface vessels enjoy a high capability to confront enemies’ threats, and stated that Iran’s submarines are able to ambush and hit enemy vessels specially US Aircraft carriers from the seabed throughout the Persian Gulf.

Iran officially states that it has 17 Ghadir diesel electric subs in its fleet, according to Business Insider. Despite the overwhelming superiority of the U.S. military, the Iranian threat to vessels and oil shipments in the Persian Gulf is real, particularly in a sneak attack scenario.

Earlier this month Iran threatened the U.S. Fifth Fleet with attack after the John C. Stennis passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi said ”We advise, warn and recommend [the U.S. Navy] not to return this carrier to its previous location in the Persian Gulf.”

“We are not in the habit of repeating the warning and we warn only once,” Salehi said.

Whether this is pure bluster from Iran or a threat with teeth behind it remains to be seen.

(h/t Business Insider)

My link

Not only would we hear the screws turning on those props from a 100 miles away, we would also hear those morons chanting to allah because they can't shut up.

• Upvote 3

Well speaking as an ex-bubblehead who has spent some time in the persian gulf (undetected...always) I guarantee we are out there tracking their every move...we probably have more info on them than they have of themselves...silly fools.

alan thx for the post...Having been in the submarine service in the 60's and hear a moron brag about a fleet of electric diesel submarines is rather amusing.....evidently he has not been updated on the capabilities of modern naval warfare...I would not want to be on one of those subs if push comes to shove....jmho

What Boats?

• Upvote 3

Markinsa...it would take a rather long cord....we decommissioned those mammouths years ago....evidently they don't know the anti-submarine technology the United States Navy has at it's disposal....when they can track the stealth silent nuclear boats like they do from the distances they do.... a noisy electric would be like setting off an alarm clock in a garbage can...just puts a different slant on being called a suicide bomber! :)

• Upvote 3

Well speaking as an ex-bubblehead who has spent some time in the persian gulf (undetected...always) I guarantee we are out there tracking their every move...we probably have more info on them than they have of themselves...silly fools.

What Boats?

You know thats top secret!!...lol first was a geuine pig boat Odax ss 484 , then Jefferson....Mk 80s ...probably before you were in grade school??? Was there when the Thresher went down...sad deal....FT A Bainbridge, then New London, then Odax then Polaris at Vir Bch...then off to depths...cheers neighbor thx for your service!!

• Upvote 3

What Boats?

Tandy? I think it was the H.L. Hunley. :lol:

Markinsa...it would take a rather long cord....we decommissioned those mammouths years ago....evidently they don't know the anti-submarine technology the United States Navy has at it's disposal....when they can track the stealth silent nuclear boats like they do from the distances they do.... a noisy electric would be like setting off an alarm clock in a garbage can...just puts a different slant on being called a suicide bomber! smile.gif

Oh Ya... I'm a big Tom Clancy Fan, I loved reading his books, and how he knew so much about our technologies way back then, and even now I can imagine how much better it is. We've probably got a several big screens with the tracks for all the subs in the area, and what each target cooked for breakfast, and what they had for dinner the night before, and what's on the menu for lunch, which saltwater pump had a bad bearing, and which toilet stalls are currently being occupied. :lol:

-

• Upvote 3

You know thats top secret!!...lol first was a geuine pig boat Odax ss 484 , then Jeff....Mk 80s ...probably before you were in grade school??? Was there when the Thresher went down...sad deal

Your the second subvet I've run into today...My first boat was the Daniel Webster SSBN 626,second the Will Rogers SSBN 659 (last of the 640 class) and my 3rd was the USS Helena SSN 725...fast attack out of pearl.

• Upvote 2

Your the second subvet I've run into today...My first boat was the Daniel Webster SSBN 626,second the Will Rogers SSBN 659 (last of the 640 class) and my 3rd was the USS Helena SSN 725...fast attack out of pearl.

I was stationed at Pearl from '83-'85. Spent a year on the USS Goldborough (DDG-20) while it was in drydock, and did a short stint at Subase Admin while on Med Hold.

Sorry, Had a senior moment and had to change the years.

-

• Upvote 2

I was stationed at Pearl from '82-'83. Spent a year on the USS Goldborough (DDG-20) while it was in drydock, and did a short stint at Subase Admin while on Med Hold.

-

Man,I loved Hawaii...I was all set to get out after my first six year hitch until they dangled Pearl Harbor in front of me...couldn't say no to that.I was there from 88-91.

• Upvote 2

Man,I loved Hawaii...I was all set to get out after my first six year hitch until they dangled Pearl Harbor in front of me...couldn't say no to that.I was there from 88-91.

LOL, I loved Hawii too. I was discharged in '85 came home and ended up going back to Honolulu in 86-89. I was a regular on Hotel Street from '83-'89.

-

• Upvote 2

hbrill61 you and markinsa are making me feel like a relic of a different time...guess I am...but you men know that the military is always ahead of civilian technologgy by light years...knowing things they had then that still isn't widely known today and seeing the difference in the size of things...the on board computers we had then filled a lot of square footage that probably would only take up about1/1000th of much space today but it was hi tech even back then...some spooky potential.with 16 ICBMs with hotheads...I think I need some shore duty...too many mems...cheers and thx to all for your service...God bless...gone

• Upvote 3

hbrill61 you and markinsa are making me feel like a relic of a different time...guess I am...but you men know that the military is always ahead of civilian technologgy by light years...knowing things they had then that still isn't widely known today and seeing the difference in the size of things...the on board computers we had then filled a lot of square footage that probably would only take up about1/1000th of much space today but it was hi tech even back then...some spooky potential.with 16 ICBMs with hotheads...I think I need some shore duty...too many mems...cheers and thx to all for your service...God bless...gone

Same to you Sir.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm...and one of our nuclear bombs can "easily target" downtown Tehran....but then again, 50 miles in any direction is good enough.

The Argentinas took out some British ships with a single missile in the Fakland War. So it isn't out of the question, but anyone that pulls the trigger at one of our carriers had better have their house in order, because chances are pretty good they will be sitting down for a fireside chat with Allah soon afterwards.

Enough said. :angry:

• Upvote 1

"Taps, taps, lights out! All hands turn into your bunks! Maintain silence about the decks! The smoking lamp is out in all berthing spaces." Gnite shipmates!

-

Markinsa...I had signed out but had to come back in and tell you that's good...haven't heard that in a few monsoons...+1 good nite mate!

Hi Tiff...hope all is well with you...sweet dreams to you!

Hmmm...and one of our nuclear bombs can "easily target" downtown Tehran....but then again, 50 miles in any direction is good enough.

The Argentinas took out some British ships with a single missile in the Fakland War. So it isn't out of the question, but anyone that pulls the trigger at one of our carriers had better have their house in order, because chances are pretty good they will be sitting down for a fireside chat with Allah soon afterwards.

Enough said. :angry:

As soon as they opened the barn door (torpedo tube door) of one of those old russian hand me downs (I'm guessing)...they'd be blown out of the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkhzHQO7jY Yup, it's George Carlin R.I.P. if you want to get to the point of this video...go to about 4 minutes 30 seconds in. But really...the entire video (9 mins) is excellent. George perfectly describes what the Iranians are doing by making these statements....and of course...USA, UK and Aussies do it right back at them. You really do begin to wonder what missiles are shaped like phalluses....lol
  • Upvote 1

I would like to say nuke the bastards once and for all. I have been watching and hearing about the Iranians since they took our people hostages in 79. I have no use for an Iranian, but wait a minute. After following this country for many years in the media I realize that we just can't drop a bomb in downtown Tehran. How many of us realize that majority of the people there are friendly towards the U.S.. They enjoy our western culture and our ways very much.

It's those religious nuts that run the show over there that we need to go after.

I can also say that being a former Navy member from the 70's that we have more ways of tracking thier subs than they realize and I found this out by accident. You didn't hear this from me. In the end we need to tread carefully, as you never know what can happen.

I would like to say nuke the bastards once and for all. I have been watching and hearing about the Iranians since they took our people hostages in 79. I have no use for an Iranian, but wait a minute. After following this country for many years in the media I realize that we just can't drop a bomb in downtown Tehran. How many of us realize that majority of the people there are friendly towards the U.S.. They enjoy our western culture and our ways very much.

It's those religious nuts that run the show over there that we need to go after.

I can also say that being a former Navy member from the 70's that we have more ways of tracking thier subs than they realize and I found this out by accident. You didn't hear this from me. In the end we need to tread carefully, as you never know what can happen.

Ah...the voice of reason, yes CB...you are correct. The Iranian people aren't the problem. So naturally we would respond on bona fide military targets only. Nicely said...you get my vote for Defense Secretary. Kewl, keen and calculating. :twothumbs:

Yup US hunter killer subs would be 100 feet away from his diesels and they would never know it until their hulls were breached by a torpedo.

Submariners have my utmost respect. I am pretty sure you cats carry your balls around in wheel barrows. No way would I want to spend months on one of those.

Yup US hunter killer subs would be 100 feet away from his diesels and they would never know it until their hulls were breached by a torpedo.

Yup...exactly right...they have no idea about our capability to track....these guys know when an oyster opens it's shell, 200 miles away.