Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Celebrate Columbus Day!

krome2ez

Celebrate Columbus Day!

Monday, October 10th is Columbus Day. Traditionally observed on the second Monday in October, Columbus Day commemorates the landing of Columbus in the “New World” (on a small island off Florida) on October 12, 1492.

Although Christopher Columbus clearly was not the first European to visit the “New World” (Vikings had traveled here centuries earlier), he first widely publicized, and thus “discovered,” its existence to the Europeans. Columbus undertook his first voyage facing the prospect of great danger. The professional opinion of that day not only assured him of the impossibility of his proposed endeavor, but it also warned him that dragons and death awaited him beyond the charted waters. With such advice coming from the intellectual leaders of his day, his decision to embark on this unprecedented journey must have been difficult. So, then, why did he set out? Columbus himself answered that question in his own writings:

[O]ur Lord opened to my understanding (I could sense His hand upon me) so it became clear to me that it [the voyage] was feasible. . . . All those who heard about my enterprise rejected it with laughter, scoffing at me. . . . Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? I attest that He [the Holy Spirit], with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures . . . they inflame me with a sense of great urgency. . . . No one should be afraid to take on any enterprise in the name of our Savior if it is right and if the purpose is purely for His holy service. . . . And I say that the sign which convinces me that our Lord is hastening the end of the world is the preaching of the Gospel recently in so many lands.

Interestingly, in the 1892 Supreme Court decision Church of the Holy Trinity v. U. S., the Court unanimously affirmed that America was indeed a Christian nation. In so doing, it cited dozens of precedents from American history, including that of Christopher Columbus, acknowledging:

From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation [that America is a Christian nation]. The commission to Christopher Columbus . . . [recited] that “it is hoped that by God’s assistance some of the continents and islands in the ocean will be discovered,” etc.

It is especially because of Columbus’ religious motivations and convictions that today he has become a villain for most modern educators and writers, who regularly attack and condemn him. They have adopted the deplorable modern educational practice of deconstructionism – of attacking traditional Western heroes, values, and institutions.

But if you want an historically accurate portrayal of Columbus and early other explorers, consult Dr. John Eidsmoe’s book, Columbus & Cortez, Conquerors for Christ. An excellent children’s book about Christopher Columbus is available from Mott Media.

Enjoy Columbus Day!

http://wallbuilders.com/default.asp?utm_source=WallBuilders+Mailings&utm_campaign=91f58ea7f7-Columbus_Day9_28_2011&utm_medium=email

• Upvote 1

Celebrate Columbus Day:

Go to a neighbour's house, plant a flag in the garden and tell 'm the house is yours now!

You got no room to point fingers mate.

European exploration of Australia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Exploration by Europeans till 1812

1606 Willem Janszoon

1606 Luís Vaz de Torres

1616 Dirk Hartog

1619 Frederick de Houtman

1644 Abel Tasman

1696 Willem de Vlamingh

1699 William Dampier

1770 James Cook

1797–1799 George Bass

1801–1803 Matthew FlindersThe European exploration of Australia encompasses several waves of seafarers and land explorers. Although Australia is often loosely said to have been discovered by Royal Navy Lieutenant (later Captain) James Cook in 1770, he was merely one of a number of European explorers to have sighted and landed on the continent prior to English settlement, and he did so 164 years after the first such documented encounter. Nor did the exploration of Australia end with Cook; explorers by land and sea continued to survey the continent for many years after settlement.

Contents

1 Early European sightings

2 Dutch exploration in the 17th century

3 1700–1769

4 1770: Cook's Expedition

5 French eighteenth-century explorers

6 Later exploration by sea

7 Land exploration 1788–1900

7.1 Inland Sea

8 Other 19th Century Explorers

9 20th Century Explorers

10 Indigenous Australians participating in European Exploration

11 Naturalists and other scientists

12 Uncategorised explorers

13 References

14 External links

[edit] Early European sightingsThe first documented and undisputed European sighting of and landing on Australia was in March 1606, by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon aboard the Duyfken.[1][2][3] It is possible that Luís Vaz de Torres, working for the Spanish Crown, sighted Australia when he sailed through the Torres Strait several months later, in October 1606.[4]

Occasional claims have been made in support of earlier encounters, particularly for various Portuguese explorations. Evidence put forward in favour of this theory, particularly by Kenneth McIntyre,[5] is primarily based on interpretation of features of the Dieppe Maps. However, this interpretation is not accepted by most historians.[6]

[edit] Dutch exploration in the 17th century

Hollandia Nova, 1659 map prepared by Joan BlaeuThe most significant exploration of Australia in the 17th century was by the Dutch. The Dutch East India Company traded extensively with the islands which now form parts of Indonesia, and hence were very close to Australia already. In early 1606 Willem Janszoon encountered and then charted the shores of Australia's Cape York Peninsula. The ship made landfall at the Pennefather River in the Gulf of Carpentaria. This was the first authenticated landing of a European on Australian soil. Other Dutch explorers include Dirk Hartog,[7] who landed on the Western Australian coast, leaving behind a pewter plate engraved with the date of his landing; and Abel Tasman, for whom Tasmania was eventually named—he originally called it Van Diemen's Land after a senior member of the Dutch East India Company.[8] Maps from this period and the early 18th century often have Australia marked as "New Holland" on account of the voyages of these Dutch explorers.[9][10]

When Who Ship(s) Where

1606 Willem Janszoon Duyfken Gulf of Carpentaria, Cape York Peninsula (Queensland)

1616 Dirk Hartog Eendracht Shark Bay area, Western Australia

1619 Frederick de Houtman[11] Sighted land near Perth, Western Australia

1623 Jan Carstensz[12] Pera and Arnhem Gulf of Carpentaria, Carpentier River

1627 François Thijssen[13] het Gulden Zeepaerdt 1800 km of the South coast (from Cape Leeuwin to Ceduna)

1642–1643 Abel Tasman Heemskerck and Zeehaen Van Diemen's Land, later called Tasmania

1696–1697 Willem de Vlamingh[14] Geelvink, Nyptangh and the Wezeltje Rottnest Island, Swan River, Dirk Hartog Island (Western Australia)

One Dutch captain of this period who was not really an explorer but who nevertheless bears mentioning was Francisco Pelsaert, captain of the Batavia, which was wrecked off the coast of Western Australia in 1629.[15]

Joan Blaeu's 1659 map on the right shows the clearly recognizable outline of Australia based on the many Dutch explorations of the first half of the 17th century.

[edit] 1700–1769

Map of William Dampier's voyage.Throughout the 18th century, knowledge of Australia's coastline increased gradually. Explorers such as the Englishman William Dampier contributed to this understanding, especially through his two-volume publication A Voyage to New Holland (1703, 1709)

[edit] 1770: Cook's Expedition

Cook's 1770 voyage shown in redIn 1768 British Lieutenant James Cook was sent from England on an expedition to the Pacific Ocean to observe the transit of Venus from Tahiti, sailing westwards in HMS Endeavour via Cape Horn and arriving there in 1769. On the return voyage he continued his explorations of the South Pacific, in search of the postulated continent of Terra Australis.

He first reached New Zealand, and then sailed further westwards to sight the south-eastern corner of the Australian continent on 20 April 1770. In doing so, he was to be the first documented European expedition to reach the eastern coastline. He continued sailing northwards along the east coast, charting and naming many features along the way.

He identified Botany Bay as a good harbour and one potentially suitable for a settlement, and where he made his first landfall on 29 April. Continuing up the coastline, the Endeavour was to later run aground on shoals of the Great Barrier Reef (near the present-day site of Cooktown), where she had to be laid up for repairs.

The voyage then recommenced, eventually reaching the Torres Strait and thence on to Batavia in the Dutch East Indies (now Jakarta, Indonesia). The expedition returned to England via the Indian Ocean and Cape of Good Hope.[16]

Cook's expedition carried botanist Joseph Banks, for whom a great many Australian geographical features and at least one native plant are named. The reports of Cook and Banks in conjunction with the loss of England's penal colonies in America after they gained independence and growing concern over French activity in the Pacific, encouraged the later foundation of a colony at Port Jackson in 1788.[17]

[edit] French eighteenth-century explorersMarc-Joseph Marion Dufresne visited Van Diemen's Land in 1772 and was the first to encounter the Tasmanian Aborigines (who had not been seen by Abel Tasman).[18] Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse visited Botany Bay in 1788.[19]Bruni d'Entrecasteaux discovered Esperance in Western Australia and the D'Entrecasteaux Channel and the Derwent and Huon Estuaries in Van Diemen's Land. His expedition also resulted in the publication of the first general flora of New Holland.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_exploration_of_Australia

• Upvote 1

PLEASE! Native Americans were already here, civilized and functioning as a nation.

I'm sorry, but that is just a bunch of nonsense. Of course they were here, but not even close to any sense of sovereignty or civilized society. In the days of world exploration, the spread of civiivations was simply inevitable, period. No 20th or 21st century revisionist historians can claim otherwise. We would not be here, nor would any other country's citizens, be enjoying the advancements of our civilized societies without early world exploration. So, let's stop with the ridiculous guilt trips. Enjoy the benefts of your heritage. :)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

PLEASE! Native Americans were already here, civilized and functioning as a nation.

This post is not disputing that .... as it stated...

"Although Christopher Columbus clearly was not the first European to visit the “New World” (Vikings had traveled here centuries earlier)"

"First European to visit the New World"... is that plain enough? If you study world history enough, including Native Americans... you will pretty much see that almost every square inch of soil has been taken from someone, by someone else at one point or another... the first Europeans showing up wasn't something new. That is not however excusing the Europeans for breaking treaties and lying... just stating the obvious.

You got no room to point fingers mate.

Who says I'm pointing fingers? I'm just saying: Columbus was not a "discoverer". He was a fake. A murderer and rapist who knew exactly where he was going. Let's not accept history as it was conveniently re-written. I accept and acknowledge my roots. Do you :-)?

• Upvote 1

Who says I'm pointing fingers? I'm just saying: Columbus was not a "discoverer". He was a fake. A murderer and rapist who knew exactly where he was going. Let's not accept history as it was conveniently re-written. I accept and acknowledge my roots. Do you :-)?

Hmmmm... I wonder what "version" of history you are reading? blink.gif Just sayin! wink.gif

We found America ( Cristoforo Colombo, his true italian name, who was born in Genova but went to work for the Queen of Spain) and we named it ( Amerigo Vespucci)... If his name was Umberto Vespucci now the Continent 's name would be ... Umberta.... You were lucky it was Amerigo.

America is indeed a beautiful name for a Continent....

Even though I admit I find it odd the US People basically took possession of that Continent 's name and applied it on themselves for identifying their own Nationality... I don't know how that is accepted by other People living in the other Countries of the American Continent....

A Mexican is American, A Canadian is American, A Peruvian is American etc..Just like an Italian is European, a German is European, a French, a Spanish, etc......

But now it's more or less accepted that by the term " American" we mean a US Citizen.....

Edited by umbertino

Interestingly, in the 1892 Supreme Court decision Church of the Holy Trinity v. U. S., the Court unanimously affirmed that America was indeed a Christian nation. In so doing, it cited dozens of precedents from American history, including that of Christopher Columbus, acknowledging:

It would be very very refreshing if people instead of re-posting information would read it and analyze what they are reading without prior perceptions. The reason i say this is because apparently whoever wrote this article has misquoted the reason and whole pupose of Holy Trinity v. U. S.

To start off Holy Trinity v. U. S. was an immigration case: the issue was whether or not hiring a foreigner violated the federal Contract Labor Act of 1885, a law passed by Congress that was designed to limit legal immigration and place restrictions on the ability of American firms to hire laborers from overseas. The only issue presented to the Supreme Court was whether Holy Trinity had violated the law. The Supreme Court concluded that the purpose of the Act was to prohibit the importation of foreign unskilled persons to perform manual labor and manual services. A Christian, the Court reasoned, is a “toiler of the brain”, not a manual laborer; Holy Trinity Church, therefore, was found not to have violated the Act when it secured a contract for the clergyman’s employment. Only manual laborers were covered by the act. Whether or not America was a Christian nation was not even at issue in the Holy Trinity case.

The case was decided by Justice David Josiah Brewer,wrote the majority opinion in favor of the English minister. David J. Brewer was born in Smyrna, (now Izmir, Turkey), on June 20, 1837 and died in Washington D.C., on March 28, 1910.14 He was born of Congregationalist missionary parents in Asia Minor and then raised in privilege. After attending Wesleyan and Yale Universities and Albany Law School, he moved to Kansas in the late 1850s to begin his professional career. There he served on the Supreme Court of Kansas (1870-1884) and the Eighth Circuit Court (1884-1889). In 1890, President Benjamin Harrison appointed him to the Supreme Court, where he served as associate justice until his death. In all, he wrote 719 opinions. David J. Brewer was a talented speaker and a prolific writer. His writings included: The Pew for the Pulpit (1897), The United States A Christian Nation (1905).

In 1905 David Brewer published a short book titled The United States A Christian Nation. What he had to say in this book is very interesting:

But in what sense can [the United States] be called a Christian nation? Not in the sense that Christianity is the established religion or the people are compelled in any manner to support it….Neither is it Christian in the sense that all its citizens are either in fact or in name Christians. On the contrary, all religions have free scope within its borders. Numbers of our people profess other religions, and many reject all... Nor is it Christian in the sense that a profession of Christianity is a condition of holding office or otherwise engaging in public service, or essential to recognition either politically or socially. In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions.

The passage strongly suggests that Justice Brewer simply meant that the United States is “Christian” in the sense that many of its people belong to Christian denominations and many of the country’s customs and traditions have roots in Christianity. Justice Brewer expounds on this theme for the rest of his ninety-eight-page book, predicting that Christianity will one day unify the American masses and make the United States a leader in world affairs.

What Justice Brewer says in this book is rarely quoted by Religious Right adherents since it seems to be at odds with their view. Similarly, one wonders why the Religious Right never mentions the 1797 treaty with the Islamic nation of Tripoli. Negotiated under President Washington, ratified later by the Senate, and signed by President John Adams, this treaty states that the harmony between the two countries would not be interrupted for religious reasons because the United States “is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.”24 Instead the Religious Right insists that a Christian nation was the original intent of the Founding Fathers, which is, of course, highly debatable.

Edited by Weapon X

It would be very very refreshing if people instead of re-posting information would read it and analyze what they are reading without prior perceptions. The reason i say this is because apparently whoever wrote this article has misquoted the reason and whole pupose of Holy Trinity v. U. S.

Weapon X, you sound very intelligent.

Probably far more than I. (Not too hard to do. :P )

But you might want to check out David Barton of WallBuilders.

He is probably the most knowledgeable person on American history that I know of.

He has one of the largest, if not the largest, library of original works.

You could be right, and him wrong, IDK.

I'm just putting it out there, this guy (Barton) knows what he's talking about.

Don't take my word for it.

Check him out your self. :)

Weapon X, you sound very intelligent.

Probably far more than I. (Not too hard to do. :P )

But you might want to check out David Barton of WallBuilders.

He is probably the most knowledgeable person on American history that I know of.

He has one of the largest, if not the largest, library of original works.

You could be right, and him wrong, IDK.

I'm just putting it out there, this guy (Barton) knows what he's talking about.

Don't take my word for it.

Check him out your self. :)

Why would I read up on a person that by proof of what you posted told me only half the truth and even then lied to me about it???

Holy Trinity v. U. S. does not have anything to do with declaring the US a "Christian nation", it has to do with immigration and work. Also why am I to believe David Barton of WallBuilders when Judge David Brewer in his own words, his own book state that what he meant. I will follow the original source and not a source that uses a legal precedent that has nothing to do with religion, and is all about immigration and labor laws and uses it to make a false point.

A very smart novelist of the late 19th century, Samuel Bulter once said "God cannot alter the past, but historians can."

So even thou I respect you have a belief system, respect that I have researched about Holy trinity Vs. U.S. and found what Barton said is inaccurate and false, and all this by the words of the Judge that he himself quotes.

Edited by Weapon X

Why would I read up on a person that by proof of what you posted told me only half the truth and even then lied to me about it???

Holy Trinity v. U. S. does not have anything to do with declaring the US a "Christian nation", it has to do with immigration and work. Also why am I to believe David Barton of WallBuilders when Judge David Brewer in his own words, his own book state that what he meant. I will follow the original source and not a source that uses a legal precedent that has nothing to do with religion, and is all about immigration and labor laws and uses it to make a false point.

A very smart novelist of the late 19th century, Samuel Bulter once said "God cannot alter the past, but historians can."

So even thou I respect you have a belief system, respect that I have researched about Holy trinity Vs. U.S. and found what Barton said is inaccurate and false, and all this by the words of the Judge that he himself quotes.

By your own words, can not the research you have done then in it self be tainted?

And that maybe Barton's words are in fact true?

Intelligence is not only measured by what you know,

but also by admitting that you do not know every thing.

Your refusal to even look, speaks volumes.

By your own words, can not the research you have done then in it self be tainted?

Does it help that i can back up and verify this claim as fact...

the 1797 treaty with the Islamic nation of Tripoli. Negotiated under President Washington, ratified later by the Senate, and signed by President John Adams, this treaty states that the harmony between the two countries would not be interrupted for religious reasons because the United States “is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.”

Being an Ordained Reverend didn't really require much study, but i felt i needed to research a bit to honor the title

Does it help that i can back up and verify this claim as fact...

Actually, no.

As previously stated, where is the source of this information coming from?

I provided a link to my source.

I wouldn't mind a link to yours,

and verify it for my self.

Nothing personal,

but I've seen more of David Barton's work,

than yours.

The refusal to look at somebody that has been proven wrong speaks volume?? It speaks volumes that i will not take somebodies words as fact without proof, and if the information is false, like in this case, I will not go to where his other information may be just as wrong and biased.

I would recommend you take this saying to heart "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

Also remember I brought you a quote directly froim the judge to where he states that our nation was formed by cristians not that we were a "christian nation".

While president in 1802, Jefferson wrote

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State ... "
Edited by Weapon X

The refusal to look at somebody that has been proven wrong speaks volume?? It speaks volumes that i will not take somebodies words as fact without proof, and if the information is false, like in this case, I will not go to where his other information may be just as wrong and biased.

I would recommend you take this saying to heart "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

How did you prove the lie?

You proved nothing.

Just because YOU say it,

does not make it true.

Edited by krome2ez

How did you prove the lie?

You proved nothing.

Just because YOU say it,

does not make it true.

How about you do the research to what i just pointed out to you, that way you can not claim you were coerced to changing your mind, that's the way I do it, I only ask for references when its a "news" article.

I gave you the reference to the book and to the date. Look it up, and look up the Supreme Court decision on Holy trinity V US. its accessible through any known search engine.

Celebrate Columbus Day!

Monday, October 10th is Columbus Day. Traditionally observed on the second Monday in October, Columbus Day commemorates the landing of Columbus in the “New World” (on a small island off Florida) on October 12, 1492.

Although Christopher Columbus clearly was not the first European to visit the “New World” (Vikings had traveled here centuries earlier), he first widely publicized, and thus “discovered,” its existence to the Europeans. Columbus undertook his first voyage facing the prospect of great danger. The professional opinion of that day not only assured him of the impossibility of his proposed endeavor, but it also warned him that dragons and death awaited him beyond the charted waters. With such advice coming from the intellectual leaders of his day, his decision to embark on this unprecedented journey must have been difficult. So, then, why did he set out? Columbus himself answered that question in his own writings:

[O]ur Lord opened to my understanding (I could sense His hand upon me) so it became clear to me that it [the voyage] was feasible. . . . All those who heard about my enterprise rejected it with laughter, scoffing at me. . . . Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? I attest that He [the Holy Spirit], with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures . . . they inflame me with a sense of great urgency. . . . No one should be afraid to take on any enterprise in the name of our Savior if it is right and if the purpose is purely for His holy service. . . . And I say that the sign which convinces me that our Lord is hastening the end of the world is the preaching of the Gospel recently in so many lands.

From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation [that America is a Christian nation]. The commission to Christopher Columbus . . . [recited] that “it is hoped that by God’s assistance some of the continents and islands in the ocean will be discovered,” etc.

It is especially because of Columbus’ religious motivations and convictions that today he has become a villain for most modern educators and writers, who regularly attack and condemn him. They have adopted the deplorable modern educational practice of deconstructionism – of attacking traditional Western heroes, values, and institutions.

But if you want an historically accurate portrayal of Columbus and early other explorers, consult Dr. John Eidsmoe’s book, Columbus & Cortez, Conquerors for Christ. An excellent children’s book about Christopher Columbus is available from Mott Media.

Enjoy Columbus Day!

http://wallbuilders.com/default.asp?utm_source=WallBuilders+Mailings&utm_campaign=91f58ea7f7-Columbus_Day9_28_2011&utm_medium=email

...also krome-i read somewhere earlier this year that they have found some text on stone in the new world, chizzeled way before the vikings. the text was semitic..