Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Good Music from the 70's

umbertino

Stillwater..if you were here I'd give you a big wet one...on the cheek of course. I've been trying to figure out Hotel California ALL my life, I mean since like 5 years old. Your insights are mindboggling....now why didn't I think of that! I feel rather stupid right now. ha ha. If you can, I would LOVE for you to break down the song even more...like I said, is seems there are only about 4 of us on this posts, so it's not like we are hogging it.

Speaking of which, I have to hijack this topic for one posting, I promised my friend furball that I'd dedicate a song to him about how I feel about my belief system, which is Buddhism, this song is representing reincarnation..and how we believe we come back again and again. For you my golden kitty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ03ngpdU80

Edited by Tiffany23

Oh editors note: To many Christians reincarnation seems foreign...to me...it not only makes sense (how are atoms and energy go back to their basic elements), but it is exactly what I want. I do not want to exist forever as Tiffany...I want to be a bird, I want to be a tree and when I'm lazy..I want to be a single drop of rain.

I know those of you of Christian belief want to grace in the glory of your supreme being forever. To be honest, and no disrespect, but it sounds rather boring. Praying and string a harp all day (yes I'm being facetious) would drive me batty (ok, even MORE batty). I want to exist in differnt forms...realizing that my conciousness won't travel along for each of the rides...but I'm kewl with that. Each to their own...

Ok Hijacking done, we can go back to the 70's :P

Oh editors note: To many Christians reincarnation seems foreign...to me...it not only makes sense (how are atoms and energy go back to their basic elements), but it is exactly what I want. I do not want to exist forever as Tiffany...I want to be a bird, I want to be a tree and when I'm lazy..I want to be a single drop of rain.

I know those of you of Christian belief want to grace in the glory of your supreme being forever. To be honest, and no disrespect, but it sounds rather boring. Praying and string a harp all day (yes I'm being facetious) would drive me batty (ok, even MORE batty). I want to exist in differnt forms...realizing that my conciousness won't travel along for each of the rides...but I'm kewl with that. Each to their own...

Ok Hijacking done, we can go back to the 70's :P

Tiffy Baby, I always appreciate what you say and I respect you because you are open and sincere. I won't try to persuade you of anything, but the facetiousness of your statement is the very example many Christians seem to portray. The Holy Scripture says: "When we see HIM, we will be LIKE HIM..." and "eye has not seen, nor mind yet conceived that which HE has prepared for those who love HIM..." Many Physicists (Quantum, I believe) have identified more than twenty-nine dimensions. We dwell in the third dimension. GOD dwells in all, ALL dwell in HIM. there will be far more to it than the limited understanding man can conceive. To me it is fearful and wonderful. I fear I cannot achieve the level of oneness and yet am excited by the wonder of it all. I accept that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah) in faith and am eternally grateful that he was willing to be the scapegoat for man's reconciliation to the Father. I need reconciliation. I want to walk with HIM and talk with HIM. By the way, the Hebrews refered to El Shaddai as the many breasted one. In GOD there is not male and female as we understand it and woman was taken from man to be the balance and tenderness of our lives. Women are to be honored and loved even as we love ourselves and we should be willing to lay down our lives in their defense, but the world has perverted the physical, natural things, so how much more have we perverted and twisted the reality of GOD. Let us not lose sight of the fact that when a joke is told in translation to another language it is never really very funny. My point is that we may have lost some of the depth in translating the scripture, but we are responsible to seek GOD and worship HIM. You are responsible to recognize truth when you see it, so let today's prayer to your deity be that truth will not escape us and that we walk the path with conviction and dignity, loving our fellow man.

THANKS for the dedication. I am honored by your kind thoughtfulness.

Furball.

Meu portugues não é muito bom ... mas eu amo a música. Adições Nice meu, amigo!

Seu Portugues e' muito bom.Vc fala muito bem.Some say my language ( Italian ) is sensual & beautiful....Maybe so... I love Spanish and even more Portuguese.

Maybe cos I'm currently involved there.

umbertino! :twothumbs: thanks for the Weather Report!! One of the most inspired collections of musicians outside of Miles Davis' bands' many incarnations without a doubt. I saw them once in the early 70s in LA at some small club (Pier7?) My buddy and I were sitting at the bar before the show and Joe Zawinul came out and joined us for a drink! The man is still one of my top 2 or 3 favorite keyboard artists; some of his playing with Miles Davis is just INSANE. Mysterious Traveller and Jungle Book are my other faves from that album ~ thanks for the Nubian Sundance!

My pleasure, my Friend..Thanks for the great post. It's clear we both ( along with others here on the Forum) love Music so much.........A few days ago I posted some Miles Davis tracks here in this Off Topic section, if you'd like to check them... .Love Miles.

Edited by umbertino

Back to the "Off Topics"..........70's music:-)

I love this one, and loved all the ones you guys posted, too.....

PS Tiff, you are a doll! Keep us updated!

Tell your parents I love them, too!

You are probably too young for this one, but

hope you appreciate it as well:-)

Blessings to everyone!

When I first started this thread I had in mind to just give the link to the ELP song "from the beginning" and that's why I specified "music from the 70's". but I guess it's perfectly okay and infact more than welcome to post all the music all of us love from any period......Just to be clear.....

Pink Floyd......"One of these Days"..... Album "Meddle" 1971

Pink Floyd..."Have a Cigar".... Album "Wish you were here" 1975

And now....A true Genius......No doubt..

Frank Zappa...... Inca Roads.........AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg6X2hsl52E

Edited by umbertino

Sorry guys. Tiff and I got caught up in a sidebar discussion and didn't mean to assume control... Back to the music.

For you Umbertino (apology for hijacking your thread)...

Pink Floyd: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

Pink Floyd: "Dogs"

Rush: "A Farewell To Kings"

Rush: "Cinderella Man"

B)

• Upvote 1

Hey, Hey, Hey...I thought I handed out homework...you are NOT suppose to post a song unless you give a short...even a few words...of what that song means to you! Geez....some guys just won't listen to a woman when she says something!

LA..thank you for the addition...I had heard tha song before but had NO idea who it was that sang it...kind of an Elton John type, eh?

Stillwater...um, I'm still waiting on YOUR homework assignment...YOU have to break down Hotel California all the way. I won't be able to sleep, eat or watch Big Bang until I know damn it!

This is a song that EVERY Girl wants to be: THE ONE!

Furball...that song is my parent's "song". When ever we go out as a family, my father ALWAYS had that song play for her. That and Lady in Red. Now we're talking! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5OeKIZ0SCM

OUCH. One of my MAJOR Fell In Love Songs. But it turned out REALLY badly. Still hurts to this day. :(:(:(

Thanks a load Tiff for dragging me over to this thread. <_<

I TOLD YOU I'D BE ON HERE A WEEK! :wacko:

Damn it Girl, don't You ever listen? :wub:

• Upvote 1

Hey, Hey, Hey...I thought I handed out homework...you are NOT suppose to post a song unless you give a short...even a few words...of what that song means to you! Geez....some guys just won't listen to a woman when she says something!

OKAY, okay... Dang... Bossy.

Most of us don't listen because we're busy wondering why you couldn't have said all that without all the other peripheral stuff. Dadburn it! I'm gon' get you a good straightnin out if'n you'll cooperate a lil' more...

This first song has to be considered in context of the entire collection and, further, in consideration of the circumstances surrounding Syd Barrett's relationship to the band members. It was an epic Roger Waters plea for the sanity of his friend and a pledge of continuing loyalty in tribute to his life-long friend. All the members of Pink Floyd have known one another since childhood/youth.

To shed a bit of light on the matter, Syd was one of the founding members and the principal writer in the early days. About the time the band began to achieve notoriety and a cult following, if you will, Syd began to slip from reality due to the heavy usage of hallucenogenic drugs. Work with him had become non-productive and the other guys wanted to explore their newly found success. David Gilmour was asked to join as they had all known one another for most of their lives. Syd slipped into the shadows and continued living his surreal existence in the basement of his mother's house. All royalties were paid to Syd as though he continued as an active member of the band. Now Syd and Rick Wright have passed on to the other side. The music lives on...

“Shine On You Crazy Diamond”

Intro: Mystery, randomness, purity, innocence

Lyric: Recognizing the need for personal accountability, Rising above circumstances

Bridge: Journey through trial and triumph

Closing Lyric: encouragement, glory of days

“Dogs”

Intro: cells waking, nerve endings abuzz, dawn of a new day

Opening Lyrics: Awareness, decision, integrity

Bridge: Journey into the unknown, intensity, infinite possibility

Final Lyrics: Harvesting the reality of one’s choices

I'll approach the other songs at another time...

B)

Hey Tiffany, Mamma Cass was the "plump girl" in the group. Her favorite dance move was the "Mashed Potato" and that is what you are watching. This group came out of the Folk Songs period of the late 50's early 60's and modified that style to their sucess. Believe it or not, so did the Beatles! I was there.

• Upvote 1

This is a song that EVERY Girl wants to be: THE ONE!

I really enjoyed looking at the lady in your video.

However...

Eyes grow dim

and beauty fades.

Sunshine invigorates

and Spring days refresh

Summer warms my heart

Autumn falls in a splash of color

Then Winter comes around again

Like death comes to us all.

Appearances are temporal

like grass that withers away

Depth and character decorate the world

As the crocus paints the snow

Anything less than the best

Is less than the best.

That's my take on it anyway...

B)

Sorry guys. Tiff and I got caught up in a sidebar discussion and didn't mean to assume control... Back to the music.

For you Umbertino (apology for hijacking your thread)...

Pink Floyd: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

Pink Floyd: "Dogs"

Rush: "A Farewell To Kings"

Rush: "Cinderella Man"

B)

Thanks my Friend for all the beautiful tracks........I do appreciate......And let's make something very clear once and for all..... This is NOT my thread......it's Everybody's........And everybody's is welcome to post their favorite music and comments.....Of course.........So no apology needed cos you didn't do any hijacking......You and all contributed to this thread beautifully and deeply.So thanks.......

Brian Auger.... Second Wind... live...........Recorded 2009 when he reached 70.....Still one of the very best piano/organ players/composers around, hitting the scene for more than 45 years.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9FMBbnBjlM

Brian Auger.... Sword

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxzWSUA4EA

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks my Friend for all the beautiful tracks........I do appreciate......And let's make something very clear once and for all..... This IS NOT my thread......it's Everybody's........And everybody's is welcome to post their favorite music and comments.....Of course.........So no apology needed cos you didn't do any hijacking......You and all contributed to this thread beautifully and deeply.So thanks.......

Okay... I didn't have my readers on and I was attempting to +1 Umbertino's post. My fingers may be too big for an iPhone... Somebody please give my buddy a +1 for me. SHEESH! Gee whiz... Sorry Umbert.

• Upvote 1

Okay... I didn't have my readers on and I was attempting to +1 Umbertino's post. My fingers may be too big for an iPhone... Somebody please give my buddy a +1 for me. SHEESH! Gee whiz... Sorry Umbert.

No worries. I imagined it went that way. Fixed it and thanks.

I love the rhythm in this one...Curtis Mayfield.............Pusherman

Sly & Family Stone......I wanna take you higher..........Woodstock Music Festival 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twh45yX2Kj8

Edited by umbertino

Hey Tiffany when is my homework due? You have all posted so many AWESOME tunes here that I've been distracted ~ the truth. The Highwayman song was fantastic! Hate to admit I never knew all those guys got together like that; I will search out more of their music for sure. And umbertino, those songs by Bebel Gilberto WOW! I think I'm in love; what a voice, I've always been a fan of bossa nova/samba going way back to Joao Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luis Bonfa, Stan Getz and many more. This music thread is WAY FUN!

Here's a good one Tiffany: Wicked Game- Chris Isaac My link Hard to get past the silken power of Isaacs' voice and the crystalline beauty of the his guitar but when you do you feel the burning pain of unrequited love; what was hoped for after fulfilled desire ~ told himself he didn't want to fall in love but obviously did . . . . loved and lost ~ who among us hasn't experienced that? A hauntingly beautiful song.

umbertino, I think you'll know this one ~ Meeting of The Spirits- Mahavishnu Orchestra My link someone posted "goddam, this song is like the particles from a thousand planets melted down into one pool of bubbling lava" ~ all I can say is well said!

PS Thank you folks for the very kind words re Hotel California! And Tiffany thank you for the big wet one ~ it made my day :excl: and inspired me to finish my homework, which I will do once my daughters go back to school (spring break you know ;)

Hey Tiffany, Mamma Cass was the "plump girl" in the group. Her favorite dance move was the "Mashed Potato" and that is what you are watching. This group came out of the Folk Songs period of the late 50's early 60's and modified that style to their sucess. Believe it or not, so did the Beatles! I was there.

Kawint, Ah ha!

Hey...there is a song that mentions Mama Cass....something like "and everyone's getting fat except Mama Cass" but I can't locate it on youtube, help!

Edited by Tiffany23

Stillwater,

I saw an interview of Chris Isaak after he recorded Wicked games. The girl in the video was a top model from Eastern Europe (I think but could be wrong). Anyway, he said that they had to shoot the close ups several times and that he was getting VERY hot. And after the final cut, while he was holding her close in his arms, he asked, so ah now what? She looked up at him with her pale blue eyes, and whispered ever so softly.."Is it lunch yet?"

He said he was crushed.. and that was that! :lol:

Eyes grow dim

and beauty fades.

Sunshine invigorates

and Spring days refresh

Summer warms my heart

Autumn falls in a splash of color

Then Winter comes around again

Like death comes to us all.

Appearances are temporal

like grass that withers away

Depth and character decorate the world