Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

MR. SHABIBI - Featured Speaker at Harvard

Dinerry

Article Date : Wednesday November 17 2010

The Article :

Harvard Arab Weekend is organized by the Harvard Arab Alumni Association and the following Arab and MENA groups within Harvard University: Harvard Business School, Harvard College, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard Law School, and the Harvard Graduate School of Design.

The Harvard Arab Weekend is a four-day conference hosted by the Harvard Arab Alumni Association (HAAA) and the Arab and MENA student groups at Harvard University.

HAW will host speakers and panelists with vast experience and knowledge base in matters related to MENA. Throughout HAW, participants will have the opportunity to learn from leaders and experts, network, and explore a wide variety of career opportunities.

This year, HAW will feature more than 12 panels and more than 50 speakers discussing the latest issues in politics and policy, business, design, law, education, and public health; 6 keynote speeches by regional and global leaders; a career fair; and a cultural event.

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2010

Iraq: The Decade Ahead

After decades of isolation and seven years of turmoil, Iraq shows vital signs of a market with potential for significant growth. One of the fastest growing economies in the world, the country is becoming a destination for entrepreneurs and business leaders backed by foreign capital. What will the upcoming decade look like? The discussion will address the pertinent issues every businessman should be aware of in Iraq, helping you identify opportunities and uncover risks while exploring lessons learnt from leaders who understand Iraq best. You should also expect to engage in a debate about the country’s future prospects.

Moderator: Dr. Sami Al-Araji, Chairman, Iraqi National Investment Commission

Speakers:

DR. SINAN AL SHABIBI, GOVERNOR, CENTRAL BANK OF IRAQ

DR. JAWAD HASHIM, FORMER MINISTER OF PLANNING, IRAQ: FOUNDING PRESIDENT, ARAB MONETARY FUND, FOUNDING MEMBER, INVESTCorp.

EMAD MAKIYA, CEO, ZAIN IRAQ

Leadership Roundtable – Entrepreneurship, Finance, Iraq, Iran, Media, Social Entrepreneurship

Lagging in business innovation, economic development, and human rights, MENA is in need of progressive leadership. The purpose of this Roundtable is twofold. First, it will explore the paths of three select leaders and the lessons they learned on their ongoing journeys. Second, the Roundtable will address the region’s key challenges and opportunities from the vantage point of each leader. Attendees aspiring to leave their mark in MENA are set for an inspiring discussion, including insights and advice on the course ahead.

KEY SPEAKERS

DR. SINAN AL SHABIBI, GOVERNOR, CENTRAL BANK OF IRAQ

DR. SINAN AL SHABIBI has been the Governor of the Central Bank of Iraq since 2003. Prior to that, Dr. Al Shabibi was a Senior Consultant on Trade, Debt, and Finance, as well as a Senior Economist, to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development in Geneva, Switzerland. While at the United Nations, Dr. Al Shabibi managed projects for implementing analytical and institutional aspects of debt management including the UN Conference on Trade & Development (UNCTD) Debt Management and Financial Analysis System in several Arab countries. Dr. Al Shabibi began his career as the Head of the Importation and Marketing Section at the Iraqi Ministry of Oil and as Chief of the Preparation and Coordination Division at the Iraqi Ministry of Planning. Dr. Al Shabibi is a 1966 graduate of Baghdad University, a 1971 graduate of the University of Manchester, and a 1975 graduate of the University of Bristol, with a PhD in Economics.

DR. JAWAD M. HASHIM - Former Minister of Planning, Iraq; Founding President, Arab Monetary Fund; Founding Member, Investcorp

Dr. Jawad M. Hashim is the former Iraqi Minister of National Economic Planning from 1968-1977, and the founding President of the Arab Monetary Fund from 1977 to 1982. Dr. Hashim is a graduate of the University of Baghdad, and has an MSc and a PhD in Economics and Statistics from the London School of Economics. He was a member of The Group of Thirty (G3O), the Group on International and Monetary Affairs (Rockefeller Foundation) between 1978 and 1983; a member of the Study Group on Energy and World Economy; and a member of the United Nations Panel of Eminent Persons until 1984. He is a founding member of Investcorp, a global private equity firm based in the Middle East. Currently, Dr. Hashim consults governments and institutions worldwide on political and economic matters relating to Iraq.

MOUKIM TEMOUROV – Senior Economist in the Human Development Unit of the Middle East and North Africa Region, The World Bank

Moukim Temourov is a senior economist in the Human Development Unit of the Middle East and North Africa Region at the World Bank. His main areas of expertise include education and skills development, labor market, and social protection. Moukim is currently managing a number of social sector projects in Algeria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen, and he is also responsible for coordinating the Bank’s human development activities in the Gulf countries.

Moukim holds graduate degrees in international affairs (Columbia University) and in economics (Georgetown University). A national of Tajikistan, he is fluent in Farsi, Russian, English, and French.

DR. SAMI AL-ARAJI – Chairman, Iraqi National Investment Commission

Dr. Al-Araji assumed his post as the Chairman of the National Investment Commission in March of 2009. Prior to his new position as Chairman, Dr. Al-Araji was the Deputy Minister at the Ministry of Industry and Minerals where he held numerous positions including Director General (DG) of Planning, DG of Engineering Inspection and Quality Control, and prior to that he was the Head of the Nuclear Safety Authority at the Atomic Energy Commission.In 1991, Dr. Al-Araji participated in the construction program of the Oil and Electrical industries. He also led the engineering safety and quality works for a number of projects. He participated in the rehabilitation of the damaged factories of the Ministry of Industry and coordinated and supervised the ministry’s projects. He actively participated in State Owned Enterprise restructuring and reform. Dr. Al-Araji plays an active role in the development of the Iraqi private sector.

Dr. Al-Araji is a member of many reputable committees and professional societies and organizations worldwide including the American Society of Aeronautics & Astronautics, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, American Nuclear Society, North American Research Society and others.

Dr. Al-Araji has over 80 publications to his credit and holds a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Michigan State University, an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Connecticut and a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University.

Link, look for: Harvard Arab Weekend

Edited by Dinerry
  • Upvote 2

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2010

After decades of isolation and seven years of turmoil, Iraq shows vital signs of a market with potential for significant growth. One of the fastest growing economies in the world, the country is becoming a destination for entrepreneurs and business leaders backed by foreign capital. What will the upcoming decade look like? The discussion will address the pertinent issues every businessman should be aware of in Iraq, helping you identify opportunities and uncover risks while exploring lessons learnt from leaders who understand Iraq best. You should also expect to engage in a debate about the country’s future prospects.

Very nice and good timing!!!! I wonder how he will talk to these subjects when their dinar is worthless. Hummm Go RV!!!!! :)

Edited by SAG
  • Upvote 1

Hey can we get an inside guy there to ask about the dinar?...... Anybody know someone in Harvard? Pull him off to the side an offer him McDonald coupons or something. :lol:

Too bad Auburn doesn't play them in Football... I bet their quarterback could ask him some GOOD questions regarding $$$ and the Dinar RV :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Fresh :P

Awww man, Auburn fan's are going to "-" me on that... hopefully I got some other college football fans out there :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

Hey can we get an inside guy there to ask about the dinar?...... Anybody know someone in Harvard? Pull him off to the side an offer him McDonald coupons or something. :lol:

Hmmm.... Wonder if you need an invite? I'm about 45 minutes from Harvard and my son is attending Bentley U., which is about 10 minutes from Harvard. Perhaps I'll take a drive down there Sunday.

Perfect forum to announce the RV! Maybe I'll see it live! :lol:

Edited by ThankAVet
  • Upvote 2

I can't see them having that seminar Before the RV. I believe they would have it right After the RV. Don't ya'll think so ? Or else it could not be Factual.

I would think if they mention the coming RV everyone would race to the bank Monday AM and the world would be aware.

If they don't announce the RV before that seminar, they won't. As I see it.

Hmmm.... Wonder if you need an invite? I'm about 45 minutes from Harvard and my son is attending Bentley U., which is about 10 minutes from Harvard. Perhaps I'll take a drive down there Sunday.

Perfect forum to announce the RV! Maybe I'll see it live! :lol:

I suggest we send a bunch of peeps and a video camera. Can someone call harvard for more info. Maybe they are planning to have a recording available.

• Upvote 1

I'm an Auburn fan, but somehow managed not to throw a red rock at you :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I figured I'd get some love out of that one way or the other :lol: :lol:

I went to UGA so I really have nothing to :lol: about this season...

Or maybe I'm one of those people that wants Richt to be done and enjoy his pathetic season :D:o

- Fresh :lol:

I have been avidly glued to this site for months. Also spend hours searching media... BIG THANK YOU to all who post info, makes this roller coaster much more tolerable. Please don't bash me for this question? I've had my hopes pinned on 11/21 for some time now. Just wondering if Shabibi would announce the RV from a location outside of Iraq??? Sorry, don't mean to be dense... :rolleyes:

I can't see them having that seminar Before the RV. I believe they would have it right After the RV. Don't ya'll think so ? Or else it could not be Factual.

I would think if they mention the coming RV everyone would race to the bank Monday AM and the world would be aware.

If they don't announce the RV before that seminar, they won't. As I see it.

Simultaneously. If he's speaking at around 4PM EST when Forex trading opens for the week, it could all tie in together. But I'd bet any announcement comes out of Baghdad, not Cambridge, MA.

ALSO.....

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONNECT WITH ANYONE .. INSIDE THERE

> TWEETS

> TEXTS

What I hope Dr. Shabibi can share on Sunday, Nov 21st

= Government done, announcements and more clues on that, I hope!

= The announcement of all those oil contracts, and other companies investing!

= Announce the RV, I hope!

GO HARVARD!!! ROCK ON!!

GO RV!

:P

Edited by Dinerry

I posted this link yesterday, but it has the link to register for this weekend included. If you go, be sure to take notes and come back and let us know. :)http://cmes.hmdc.harvard.edu/node/2241

Ooops, sorry, registration has been closed.

Damn! I wish I'd seen it yesterday. However, if the RV hasn't happened by Sunday, I'm going to drive down and see if I can get in somehow. I know a couple of guys in the sports media in Boston - perhaps they can get me in with a press guest pass?

Q&A Session - Yes, Mr. Thank A Vet, what is your question?

Hey, Shabby, on behalf of the DinarVets message board, we'd like to know when you are going to get the RV done and what the rate will be!

SECURITY! Get this guy out of here!

• Upvote 5

Q&A Session - Yes, Mr. Thank A Vet, what is your question?

Hey, Shabby, on behalf of the DinarVets message board, we'd like to know when you are going to get the RV done and what the rate will be!

SECURITY! Get this guy out of here!

I double dog dare ya ThankAVet. I triple dog dare ya.

• Upvote 1

Folks...I don't believe there will be an announcement before thr RV...it will come just after...otherwise the whales would jump in and load up.......wouldn't you. About Shabibi being at Harvard...I doubt it matters where he is when it happens. POURITFORWARD

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he is there to help recruit and bring people back to Iraq to help bring them back to their glory days and going back to your roots etc.. and to talk about the "Decade Ahead" haha.. business opportunities and such. But even if we can't get a video recording, some sort of audio recording (stand beside the speakers) would be excellent too!

I posted this link yesterday, but it has the link to register for this weekend included. If you go, be sure to take notes and come back and let us know. :)http://cmes.hmdc.harvard.edu/node/2241

Ooops, sorry, registration has been closed.

Actually, the MENA conference (where he'll be speaking as part of a group) from 11:30 to 12:40 is still open for registration. $80.

PANEL SESSION 2

Moderator:

Dr. Sami Al-Araji, Chairman, Iraqi National Investment Commission

Speakers:

Dr. Sinan Al Shabibi, Governor, Central Bank of Iraq

Dr. Jawad Hashim, Former Minister of Planning, Iraq; Founding President, Arab Monetary Fund, Founding Member, Investcorp

Emad Makiya, CEO, Zain Iraq

i think his work is complete . he does not have to be there when it happens/ just like bush . he is running all around the united staes doing his book signing and his work is complete also. shabbi is only going to where his journey started and look at him now. just my 2 cents