Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

To what armed forces support grps should I give?

tyro

To guys/gals who have served overseas:

Can you suggest good / not so good groups to which I can donate after this RVs? My hubby was in during Viet Nam but didn't go overseas.

I found a ton of groups online but would prefer to hear from someone who has some first / second-hand knowledge.

Thanks a bunch.

• Upvote 1

Make sure that whatever group you decide to support gives 90% or more of the money directly to vets or services to vets, as all they are LEGALLY obligated to give is 10% of what they collect!! They all have to file reports of their overhead and what percentage actually gets to the "end user" to maintain their non-profit status. So many organizations give way too much to "overhead" like staff salaries, staff expenses, etc. Good luck!

I work with wounded Army Soldiers on an Army Post. There are "Warrior Transition Battalions/Units" (WTB/WTU) and "Soldier and Family Assistance Centers" (SFAC)that work specifically with those Soldiers & their Families. Some WTUs and SFACs have more than others, depending on the Community-- but these are a fantastic way to get your support DIRECTLY to the Soldiers & Families who have served & are now paying the price.

There are also "SOS" programs in the Army-- Survivor Outreach Services-- that are relatively new. That might be another route to DIRECTLY get support to the families who paid the ultimate sacrifice--

Otherwise, I would agree the Wounded Warrior Project is a fantastic non-army program!

Cheer,

TJS11

Go to your local American Legion Post and talk to the Post Commander ( Help a Vet locally)

The Wounded Warrior Project

tyro,

The Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society is a good one. They provide financial relief and interest free loans to Sailors and Marines, due to unexpected hardships, debt, etc.....And the USO is always another good one. Hope this helps

I work with wounded Army Soldiers on an Army Post. There are "Warrior Transition Battalions/Units" (WTB/WTU) and "Soldier and Family Assistance Centers" (SFAC)that work specifically with those Soldiers & their Families. Some WTUs and SFACs have more than others, depending on the Community-- but these are a fantastic way to get your support DIRECTLY to the Soldiers & Families who have served & are now paying the price.

There are also "SOS" programs in the Army-- Survivor Outreach Services-- that are relatively new. That might be another route to DIRECTLY get support to the families who paid the ultimate sacrifice--

Otherwise, I would agree the Wounded Warrior Project is a fantastic non-army program!

Cheer,

TJS11

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fisher House is a facility at Brooke Army Medical Center at San Antonio Texas that houses Wounded Vets Families. My son spent 14 months at BAMC from Iraq war wounds. Fisher House took care of the really terribly wounded soldiers whose Families could not afford visits. Great facility!

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

You are so right! Fisher House is great. In fact, Denzel Washington, recently donated a lot of $$ for another addition to the facility.

For any animal lovers out there, most military bases have animal shelters on base. This is where our military personnel, that are going off to war, must sometime place their animals, if they can't find anyone to watch them. The best part is they NEVER destroy them...they will keep them as long as our heros are overseas. They mostly run on donations..both money/time.

When ever I visit my father's base in FL, I always volunteer my time..I love to take them for walks.

If it RV (ok When it RVs), I'm giving half of anything I make to them. The other half is going for shoes! :)

I would say not to give to a Family support center. My wife went to my Air Guard Unit Family support for help with our trailer house when our water heater busted. They have enough money to pay a fulltime person to hold the posistion. But could not or would not help in any way not even to help find people to help my wife and son to move out of our home while I was deployed. My wife moved all of our stuff out by herself. I asked why are my tax dollars paying the wages when she cant or wont do a dam thing. family support is a bunch of crap. From my knowledge they werent any good when I was active duty either.

sorry for the rant. this is just a sore spot for me.

I say The Wonded Warrior Project

I would recomend the Wounded Warrior Project first with a close second to the Medal of Honor Society. Personally a lot of our money will go to these two programs because I have seen them in action. Having a family member that is a MOH recipient, I have learned a lot about their program and the things they do for Veterans and our youth. They do a lot of "restoring honor" events and even have a High School History program that just got off the ground where they teleconference the students.... I can go onto a huge soap box regarding these two programs that they do. But, you should look it up for yourselves.

Wounded Warrior Project

Wounded Warrior Project

Medal of Honor Society

Medal of Honor Society

Follow your heart and give to the groups that YOU think will benefit the most.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1