Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Biden To Meet With Governors On Weather, Hike Salaries For Firefighters

Reuters

Biden to meet with governors on weather, hike salaries for firefighters

Tue, June 22, 2021, 2:59 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said on Tuesday he will host a meeting next week of governors from states in the western United States, cabinet members and federal emergency management officials to help prepare for heat, drought and wildfires.

With hurricane season under way and a heat wave afflicting the U.S. west, Biden told reporters that he wanted to make sure the United States is in a position to help Americans deal with severe weather.

"We're in for a tough season," Biden said at the start of a meeting with Deanne Criswell, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and homeland security adviser Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall and other officials.

Biden also vowed to increase wages for federal firefighters, saying their current pay of $13 an hour was ridiculous.

"I just realized - I didn't realize this, I have to admit - that federal firefighters get paid $13 an hour. That's going to end in my administration. That's a ridiculously low salary to pay a federal firefighter."

Biden said it was critical for the United States to be prepared and have every resource available to address flooding, wildfires and other extreme weather events.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters earlier that Biden wanted to meet with federal emergency management officials to discuss preparedness and response efforts given the onset of peak wildfire and storm season.

In a speech last week, Criswell said 2020 was one of the most active hurricane seasons in U.S. history, coupled with the pandemic, and warned that climate change would exacerbate weather conditions in the future.

"We are now getting accustomed to a ‘new normal’ while the world continues to change before our eyes," she said. "Weather patterns are telling us that the 2021 hurricane and wildfire seasons could be busy again."

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-meet-governors-weather-hike-185919224.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:
Reuters

Biden to meet with governors on weather, hike salaries for firefighters

Tue, June 22, 2021, 2:59 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said on Tuesday he will host a meeting next week of governors from states in the western United States, cabinet members and federal emergency management officials to help prepare for heat, drought and wildfires.

With hurricane season under way and a heat wave afflicting the U.S. west, Biden told reporters that he wanted to make sure the United States is in a position to help Americans deal with severe weather.

"We're in for a tough season," Biden said at the start of a meeting with Deanne Criswell, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and homeland security adviser Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall and other officials.

Biden also vowed to increase wages for federal firefighters, saying their current pay of $13 an hour was ridiculous.

"I just realized - I didn't realize this, I have to admit - that federal firefighters get paid $13 an hour. That's going to end in my administration. That's a ridiculously low salary to pay a federal firefighter."

Biden said it was critical for the United States to be prepared and have every resource available to address flooding, wildfires and other extreme weather events.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters earlier that Biden wanted to meet with federal emergency management officials to discuss preparedness and response efforts given the onset of peak wildfire and storm season.

In a speech last week, Criswell said 2020 was one of the most active hurricane seasons in U.S. history, coupled with the pandemic, and warned that climate change would exacerbate weather conditions in the future.

"We are now getting accustomed to a ‘new normal’ while the world continues to change before our eyes," she said. "Weather patterns are telling us that the 2021 hurricane and wildfire seasons could be busy again."

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-meet-governors-weather-hike-185919224.html

GO RV, then BV

Western States?! Playing favoritism in plane site. As far as increase pay for firefighters remain to be seen...Biden has a history of breaking promises.

• Pow! 3

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/06/22/president-biden-calls-13-federal-firefighter-wage-ridiculously-low/5311063001/

The median nationwide salary for a firefighter, regardless of location, was $52,500 a year, or $25 an hour, in May 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

States like California also employ prisoners to fight its wildfires, often compensating them with as little as $2 to $5 a day. 

Biden had the backing of the nation's firefighters during the 2020 presidential campaign. The International Association of Fire Fighters publicly endorsed then-candidate Biden for president. 

The work of firefighters will be more crucial than ever this year. Officials in Colorado, California, Oregon, Nevada and Washington State have warned that the 2021 wildfire season may exceed the over 52,000 wildfires reported in 2020 — a nationwide record.

Biden also announced he will hold a meeting next week with governors of states in the western half of the country, cabinet members and federal emergency management officials to discuss preparedness efforts for the upcoming wildfire season.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Federal-Firefighter-Salary

How much does a Federal Firefighter make?

As of Jun 16, 2021, the average annual pay for a Federal Firefighter in the United States is $71,285 a year.

Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $34.27 an hour. This is the equivalent of $1,371/week or $5,940/month.

• Pow! 1

54 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

As of Jun 16, 2021, the average annual pay for a Federal Firefighter in the United States is $71,285 a year.

Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $34.27 an hour. This is the equivalent of $1,371/week or $5,940/month.

The thing about firefighters is they don't work fighting fires all day everyday. Now, I am not criticizing or running down firefighters, but compare that $71,000 per year for a firefighter to the salaries of our enlisted men and women from E-1 to E6 or 8. Not even close. And unless they are fighting huge forest fires, they are usually home every night. How about our troops? Contrast the two and see if you see any disparity. That is my point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/06/22/president-biden-calls-13-federal-firefighter-wage-ridiculously-low/5311063001/

The median nationwide salary for a firefighter, regardless of location, was $52,500 a year, or $25 an hour, in May 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

States like California also employ prisoners to fight its wildfires, often compensating them with as little as $2 to $5 a day. 

Biden had the backing of the nation's firefighters during the 2020 presidential campaign. The International Association of Fire Fighters publicly endorsed then-candidate Biden for president. 

The work of firefighters will be more crucial than ever this year. Officials in Colorado, California, Oregon, Nevada and Washington State have warned that the 2021 wildfire season may exceed the over 52,000 wildfires reported in 2020 — a nationwide record.

Biden also announced he will hold a meeting next week with governors of states in the western half of the country, cabinet members and federal emergency management officials to discuss preparedness efforts for the upcoming wildfire season.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Federal-Firefighter-Salary

Biden needs to fire his fact checkers, his numbers are way off. As far as the Weather issue I believe the Gulf of Mexico gets hit hard with hurricanes. Those states along the coast suffer dearly.  Oh wait, he thinks open season for these states, just like open borders.

37 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I will simply point out that while a 71 K salary is a very good paying job, "salaried" employees seldom get overtime pay....so during wildfire season it's doubtful they're actually making 34 bucks an hour, or anything remotely close to that.  As always, just my opinion. 

GO RV, then BV 

And perhaps in the off season they sit around playing cards eating steaks....

Your Union blood lines are in full view.....

CL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coorslite21 said:

And perhaps in the off season they sit around playing cards eating steaks....

Your Union blood lines are in full view.....

CL

Unions are not the issue....deadbeat members of unions are the issue.  And before you say it, the answer is no...I don't belong to, nor have I ever belonged to a union.  I did have the unique experience of growing up in a household with one union belonging mom, and one white collar nonunion dad.  Supper chitchat was often quite colorful. 

GO RV, then BV 

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1