Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cabinet approves Baghdad and Erbil agreement

pluMmet

Did anyone else notice the words "draft" and "referred to parliment"? While this is great news a couple of things to note: this has not become law yet and this is not the hydrocarbon law to which all Iraqi citizens are supposed to benefit from the production of oil. This is the final stage (referal to parliment) in which the Kurds and Baghdad must agree upon and a prelude to the HCL law. Parliament must pass this from the Cabinet before it can become law. It's not law and therefore it and the HCL are not a done deal. This is counting the chickens before the eggs are hatched but noting that the eggs are indeed cracking. Sorry for the buzz kill here but with Parliament set to work on the 2015 budget and then proceed to go on a month long vacation, I seriously doubt that the HCL will be passed in 2014. I want the RV as much as the next person but the history of Iraq needs to show more than just an agreement on paper before I jump for a little joy here. It's great the Kurds got 17% but the rest of Iraqi citizens have not received their due at this time. All in good time I hope they all will.  

Our own parliamentary procedure works the same way, a Cabinet made up of members of Congress works to promote certain bills to the floor. From there the leader of that body then sets a schedule of how long the debate should be and following a debate whether to table the bill or vote on the bill. Ammendments are added or subtracted at this point. After passage by that particular body the bill goes to the President to be signed or vetoed. A bill can automatically become law passively if the president doesn't take action on the passed bill after a certain amount of time has passed. The parliament in Iraq can table this bill if so inclined however, I seriously doubt they will. I have seen bills in our own Congress thought to have without a doubt passage only to be stopped in a parliamentary procedure. Let's hope this becomes law then the HCL can finally be taken up and passed.

I can see a sticking point of half salaries. How many of you would take half of your annual salary? 

Does this have to go to parliament? Read three times? Then voted on? Or is it done? Anyone know?

The Iraq Cabinet of Ministers have said it's done

Our State Department has said it's done so..., I'm gonna say it's done :P

Did anyone else notice the words "draft" and "referred to parliment"? While this is great news a couple of things to note: this has not become law yet and this is not the hydrocarbon law to which all Iraqi citizens are supposed to benefit from the production of oil. This is the final stage (referal to parliment) in which the Kurds and Baghdad must agree upon and a prelude to the HCL law. Parliament must pass this from the Cabinet before it can become law. It's not law and therefore it and the HCL are not a done deal. This is counting the chickens before the eggs are hatched but noting that the eggs are indeed cracking. Sorry for the buzz kill here but with Parliament set to work on the 2015 budget and then proceed to go on a month long vacation, I seriously doubt that the HCL will be passed in 2014. I want the RV as much as the next person but the history of Iraq needs to show more than just an agreement on paper before I jump for a little joy here. It's great the Kurds got 17% but the rest of Iraqi citizens have not received their due at this time. All in good time I hope they all will.  

Our own parliamentary procedure works the same way, a Cabinet made up of members of Congress works to promote certain bills to the floor. From there the leader of that body then sets a schedule of how long the debate should be and following a debate whether to table the bill or vote on the bill. Ammendments are added or subtracted at this point. After passage by that particular body the bill goes to the President to be signed or vetoed. A bill can automatically become law passively if the president doesn't take action on the passed bill after a certain amount of time has passed. The parliament in Iraq can table this bill if so inclined however, I seriously doubt they will. I have seen bills in our own Congress thought to have without a doubt passage only to be stopped in a parliamentary procedure. Let's hope this becomes law then the HCL can finally be taken up and passed.

I can see a sticking point of half salaries. How many of you would take half of your annual salary? 

Well being a half full glass kind of guy I am pretty excited, I have had my dinar for ten years. Lurked for ten years! After all the reading and trying my best to understand, I really want to say that the things that have happened since the last government is amazing. Man I really want this to happen. Just never been the guy that got lucky. The progress has been nothing more than amazing. I'm kind of thinkin. Maybe this time! 

• Upvote 2