Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Map: ISIS Now Controls A Shocking Percentage Of Iraq And Syria

To Enlarge The Map: Hold Down Control While Pressing The + Key Several Times.

ISIS Now Controls A Shocking Percentage Of Iraq And Syria

screen%20shot%202014-06-11%20at%209.32.3

Institute for the Study of War

This map from the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War is an up-to-date depiction of the operational area of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), a jihadist group so intractable that it was expelled from Al Qaeda's global network in February of 2014.

The group took over Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, earlier this week. And now the extremist militants have captured parts of Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's hometown, which is located just 95 miles from the capital of Baghdad. Hundreds of prisoners were freed from prisons in each city.

ISIS operates across a vast geographic area. Jalula, Iraq, the easternmost population center under ISIS's control, is over 360 miles from Raqqah, Syria, the group's westernmost zone of control. ISIS sprawls across the Iraqi-Syrian border. It's attacked inside of Iraqi Kurdistan, sits at the doorstep of Syria's Alawaite heartland, and has broad operational abilities inside Iraq's Sunni Triangle, and even its Shi'ite south. ISIS cuts across ethnic and sectarian regions, controlling major cities and desert wilderness.

In analyst Shiraz Maher's view, ISIS controls more territory than the governments of Israel and Lebanon.

It controls nearly a third of Iraq alone, according to the Long War Journal.

Iraq has a population of 35 million, and is the fourth most populous member of the Arab League.

Iraq has been through something like this before. In December of 2006, Al Qaeda in Iraq controlled an area on par with ISIS's current zone of operation. By the end of the decade, the group seemed to have been dealt an overwhelming battlefield defeat at the hands of the U.S. military and Sunni tribal militias who effectively switched sides in the American campaign in Iraq.

But the regional dynamics are far different now than they were in the mid-2000s. And ISIS has a cross-regional dimension, a total vacuum in eastern Syria, and a collapsing state in Iraq working to its long-term advantage.

The next time this map is updated, the black areas could be even larger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-controls-shocking-percentage-of-iraq-and-syria-2014-6

• Upvote 3

Thanks Maggie - good intel.  Don't like the 'collapsing state in Iraq' part though.

You are welcome George... I didn't like that part either.

Respectfully ,I call BS!

That's Ok Kjwayne... here is a little bit of info about the source... "The Institute For The Study Of War".

Our History

Dr. Kimberly Kagan founded ISW in May 2007, as U.S. forces undertook a daring new counterinsurgency strategy to reverse the grim security situation on the ground in Iraq . Frustrated with the prevailing lack of accurate information documenting developments on the ground in Iraq and the detrimental effect of biased reporting on policymakers, Dr. Kagan established ISW to provide real-time, independent, and open-source analysis of ongoing military operations and insurgent attacks in Iraq. General Jack Keane (U.S. Army, Ret.), the Chairman of ISW’s board, also played a central role in developing the intellectual foundation for this change of strategy in Iraq, and supported the formation of the Institute in 2007.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Apparently you're not watching the news.

@Maggie, for the life of me I don't know why anybody negged you for posting the obvious. + back for you.

Thanks George +1 back at you :) ... I guess I should have said I didn't like ANY of this... huh?

who negged maggie.....????

Yea lets blame this whole thing on Maggie!!!

JK Maggs!!!! Some peoples kids!

Lol SnowGlobe... I was wondering "Where are these cities in Iraq?"... started looking for a map and ran across this one.

I didn't do Nuttin!!! 

:D   :D   :D

• Upvote 1

This is bible prophecy unfolding before our very eyes people....The muslim brotherhood with the assistance of President Obama has overthrown Kadoffi in Lybia, Mabarak in Egypt, attempting to overthrow Al- Assad in Syria, and now Al-Maliki in Iraq. The Brotherhood is attempting to bring about a Isalmic Caliphate, and bring about the one leader called the Mahadeem(Islamic Savior). This end time Isalmic ruler will bring about a 7 year false peace with Israel. In the middle of the peace agreement, the surrounding Islamic countries will break the peace and invade Israel. Sorry for any mis-spellings. The bible calles this end time Islamic ruler the the beast, or Anti-Christ. The beast's symbol is a dragon with one horn. If you want to freak yourself out? look at the back of your 25K Iraqi dinar note, and you will see the dragon head with one horn. This caliphate system is referred as Babalyon The Great. Its time to go to a bible believing church you people! Time is short before the return of the True Messiah (Jesus). I hope you have a great day. by the way.....I think the Iraqi dinar will survive these events as a curency. Hopeful thinking... with fingers crossed, that we still get a RV?

Edited by copper13
  • Upvote 1

My .02 is now with all the ISIS gaining control of Iraq quickly, no RV in sight unfortunately.  I have been holding a lot (to me) dinar since 2004 and been riding this ride patiently.  Unless the Iraqi Army, with a lot of help, retakes their country, this kicks any RV in the butt for now.  If the ISIS gains control and keeps control, RV of the Dinar is not their priority.

• Upvote 1

Iraq: ISIS controls 1/3 of country, stole 500 billion IQD, close to major oil fields, close to major water supplies. Control of a lot of US military equipment.

Syria:  ISIS controls much of the country.  Most likely controls a lot of the WMDs Saddam sent to Syria late 2002 and early 2003.  Controls the majority of arms the US gave the "rebels" to fight Assad. 

Libya:  ISIS and other Al Qaeda controls most the country and arms the US sent covertly thru Benghazi to fight Assad in Syria.

Iran:  helping Iraq fight ISIS.  Iran has been sending millions of $$ into Iraq thru the Mosques since I was there in 2004.  Iran wants to control Iraq.

Things are gonna get past ugly in that region and Obama has supported or helped all of this happen.  The only part that has not gone his way is the Egyptian army controls Egypt since Obama got Mubarak out and the Muslim Brotherhood in. 

• Upvote 1

Iraq: ISIS controls 1/3 of country, stole 500 billion IQD, close to major oil fields, close to major water supplies.

Control of a lot of US military equipment.

Syria:  ISIS controls much of the country.  Most likely controls a lot of the WMDs Saddam sent to Syria late 2002 and early 2003. 

Controls the majority of arms the US gave the "rebels" to fight Assad.

Libya:  ISIS and other Al Qaeda controls most the country and arms the US sent covertly thru Benghazi to fight Assad in Syria.

Iran:  helping Iraq fight ISIS.  Iran has been sending millions of $$ into Iraq thru the Mosques since I was there in 2004.  Iran wants to control Iraq.

Things are gonna get past ugly in that region and Obama has supported or helped all of this happen.  The only part that has not gone his way is the Egyptian army controls Egypt since Obama got Mubarak out and the Muslim Brotherhood in. 

BINGO!!!

• Upvote 1

would it surprise anyone if Putin was backing ISIS and the other terrorists in this region?  My gut knows George Soros has been backing the uprisings in Egypt, Libya, Syria and attempted uprisings in Saudi and Kuwait.  Putin would have a huge advantage if he had control of the ME and knows Obama would not lift a finger.

• Upvote 1

would it surprise anyone if Putin was backing ISIS and the other terrorists in this region?  My gut knows George Soros has been backing the uprisings in Egypt, Libya, Syria and attempted uprisings in Saudi and Kuwait.  Putin would have a huge advantage if he had control of the ME and knows Obama would not lift a finger.

I hear you Beachbum... Nothing would surprise me right now.

To Enlarge The Map: Hold Down Control While Pressing The + Key Several Times.

ISIS Now Controls A Shocking Percentage Of Iraq And Syria

• Jun. 11, 2014, 10:17 AM

screen%20shot%202014-06-11%20at%209.32.3

Institute for the Study of War

This map from the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War is an up-to-date depiction of the operational area of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), a jihadist group so intractable that it was expelled from Al Qaeda's global network in February of 2014.

The group took over Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, earlier this week. And now the extremist militants have captured parts of Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's hometown, which is located just 95 miles from the capital of Baghdad. Hundreds of prisoners were freed from prisons in each city.

ISIS operates across a vast geographic area. Jalula, Iraq, the easternmost population center under ISIS's control, is over 360 miles from Raqqah, Syria, the group's westernmost zone of control. ISIS sprawls across the Iraqi-Syrian border. It's attacked inside of Iraqi Kurdistan, sits at the doorstep of Syria's Alawaite heartland, and has broad operational abilities inside Iraq's Sunni Triangle, and even its Shi'ite south. ISIS cuts across ethnic and sectarian regions, controlling major cities and desert wilderness.

In analyst Shiraz Maher's view, ISIS controls more territory than the governments of Israel and Lebanon.

It controls nearly a third of Iraq alone, according to the Long War Journal.

Iraq has a population of 35 million, and is the fourth most populous member of the Arab League.

Iraq has been through something like this before. In December of 2006, Al Qaeda in Iraq controlled an area on par with ISIS's current zone of operation. By the end of the decade, the group seemed to have been dealt an overwhelming battlefield defeat at the hands of the U.S. military and Sunni tribal militias who effectively switched sides in the American campaign in Iraq.

But the regional dynamics are far different now than they were in the mid-2000s. And ISIS has a cross-regional dimension, a total vacuum in eastern Syria, and a collapsing state in Iraq working to its long-term advantage.

The next time this map is updated, the black areas could be even larger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-controls-shocking-percentage-of-iraq-and-syria-2014-6

This is a contrived situation...Not for one second buying it..

So why do you think this is a "contrived situation"?

Are you referring to the map? Do you not think ISIS is real?