Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AFP Al-Qaeda militants in Iraq seize Fallujah

djgabrielie

Jim Michaels, USA TODAY 3:51 p.m. EST January 4, 2014

The fighting is the worst violence since U.S. forces left Iraq at the end of 2011.

• It could take a week for government forces to push al-Qaeda out, source says
  • Fighting in Anbar province comes amid growing sectarian tensions
  • Al-Qaeda has been strengthened by the civil war in neighboring Syria

Al-Qaeda militants have seized Fallujah, a key city in western Iraq, engaging Iraqi army forces in pitched battles there in a brazen challenge to Iraq's central government.

"The whole of Fallujah is taken," said Qasim Abed, a member of the provincial council in the region and the former governor of Anbar. "The situation is very bad."

Abed was reached Saturday by phone from his home in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar, a mostly Sunni region west of Baghdad. He said militants have occupied police stations and government buildings throughout Fallujah and are also controlling limited parts of Ramadi.

Later Saturday, police had positioned themselves on the edge of Fallujah, head of the Anbar province police force Hadi Razeij said while speaking on Arabic language satellite broadcaster al-Arabiya.

"The walls of the city are in the hands of the police force, but the people of Fallujah are the prisoners of ISIL," he said, referring to the al-Qaeda linked Islamic State in Iraq and Levant.

Reports from the region are sketchy, and it is unlikely militants can hold any ground they have seized, analysts say.

However, the battlefield successes do provide al-Qaeda with an important propaganda victory; the militants depend on an image of invincibility for recruitment and fundraising. During the Iraq War, al-Qaeda frequently disseminated video of militants waving flags in public places.

Abed said it could take a week for government forces — and tribes who are fighting with the government — to push al-Qaeda out of the two cities. Abed said most Anbar tribes are fighting alongside government forces, but a handful have sided with the militants.

Al-Qaeda militants, emboldened by their powerful role in attempting to topple the government in neighboring Syria, have been exploiting the sense of alienation among Sunnis.

"It's a perfect storm that's been brewing for a long time," said Ryan Crocker, a former U.S. ambassador to Iraq.

The fighting in Anbar province comes amid growing sectarian tensions between the minority Sunnis and the Shiite-dominated government.

Sunnis have accused the Shiite-led government of Nouri al-Maliki of being heavy-handed in his treatment of political rivals and have responded with spasms of violence.

"Maliki has taken a very serious and unfortunate step toward pushing a large percentage of the Sunni population to feel disenfranchised," said James Jeffrey, a former U.S. ambassador to Iraq now at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

Recently, government forces arrested a prominent Sunni, touching off a firefight that killed the lawmaker's brother and some of his bodyguards. Security forces then dismantled a Sunni protest camp in Ramadi.

Responding to Sunni concerns, the central government agreed to withdraw its forces from Anbar cities this week. But once the forces left, al-Qaeda militants surfaced in Ramadi and Fallujah.

The fighting, the worst violence since U.S. forces left Iraq at the end of 2011, erupted just as a number of tribal leaders in recent weeks have been trying to work out a political compromise with al-Maliki's government.

"They were about to get a negotiated settlement," said Sterling Jensen, an analyst at the National Defense University's Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies. "For some reason, Maliki chose this time to go against the protesters."

Anbar has played an influential role in shaping Iraq's history.

After the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, the region became a hotbed of the Sunni insurgency that fought American forces. In 2004, Fallujah had become a symbol of resistance to the U.S. presence until an American-led offensive drove militants from the city in bloody street fighting.

In 2006 and 2007, a network of tribal leaders in Ramadi who were backed by American forces led an effective revolt against al-Qaeda, helping to turn the tide of war in Iraq.

Today, tribal leaders in Anbar remain wary of al-Qaeda and have urged local police to fight the militants, analysts say.

However, they point out that it was the presence of Americans who gave tribal leaders the confidence to turn on al-Qaeda in 2006 and 2007. Sunni tribal leaders saw Americans as an ally that could protect them from al-Qaeda and the excesses of a Shiite-dominated government.

Analysts fear that Sunnis now may be driven into the arms of al-Qaeda if they feel it is the only bulwark against a government hostile to their interests.

"It's possible they are now opening their communities to an al-Qaeda they didn't like," said Stephen Biddle, a national security analyst and professor at George Washington University.

Al-Qaeda has also been strengthened by the civil war in neighboring Syria. The war there has attracted foreigners who came to fight under the al-Qaeda banner. Some of those fighters may be spilling into western Iraq, analysts say.

The fighting in Syria has given al-Qaeda in Syria "a new lease on life," Jeffrey said.

"There are no peacekeepers here to stabilize this," Biddle said. "As a result you get a very dangerous tinderbox."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/04/al-qaeda-iraq-fallujah-ramadi/4317125/

Such a waste of time with Maliki. Wonder if this is why the CBI hasn't updated since 12/31. I really hate to see more loss of lives of our servicemen while our president basks in the sun of Hawaii.

I'm just angry anymore.

I had a hard time believing there were that many dumb people in this country to vote for Obama after his first failed term

He shouldn't over been elected at all but after he proved to be a failure the dopes voted for him again

We got three more years of this idiot to

We should be in terrible Shape by the time he's done intentionally screwing up America

Hopfully they will cut free hand outs and fine those bums who. Other for him if they don't buy Obama cAre

The third year the fines are over 600 dollars can't wait to see the bums crying the blues about the debt their in over Obama care

The irs will get em

Remember its what they voted for

dontlop,

Well, my opinion on the whole political system and the way I believe it REALLY works is probably a little different than yours and that's okay... I'm just saying that when I listen to others talk about who they voted for and "why would someone vote for that stiff?", etc. I just have to shake my head and sigh because honestly I think ALL politics are complete BS and no matter what "side" you think is better or right the fact is that they are just two sides of the same coin.

The horse and pony show they put on every four years for the people is just that and I when I say our vote doesn't mean squat I mean that they probably don't even count the votes. They know who they are putting into office and for what purpose and for how long. WE (the citizens of the United States Of America) have no say whatsoever! We have been deceived into believing that we have a say, a choice and that we matter and that "every votes counts". It's not true and the father along they get with their ultimate goal the more the truth reveals itself.

• Upvote 2

I had a hard time believing there were that many dumb people in this country to vote for Obama after his first failed term

He shouldn't over been elected at all but after he proved to be a failure the dopes voted for him again

We got three more years of this idiot to

We should be in terrible Shape by the time he's done intentionally screwing up America

Hopfully they will cut free hand outs and fine those bums who. Other for him if they don't buy Obama cAre

The third year the fines are over 600 dollars can't wait to see the bums crying the blues about the debt their in over Obama care

The irs will get em

Remember its what they voted for

And in 2016 the same idiots will take us a step further with Hillarious Clinton and first lady Bill.  Watch and see.

Seems we won't see an RV for awhile unless we send our troops back in there.  I'm really disappointed with  Obama, Congressmen/Congresswomen and our Senators. We will all need extra cash by then.

Grrrrrr

• Upvote 1

I know I'm reaching but if you read the entire article they seem to think they will have taken the city back within the week.  I really want this to be over.  I never liked Maliki and I have always thought that he was the hold up to everything for Iraq and all of us.  He blackmailed the us government to remove our troops even though the people didn't want it and so we do and then he does nothing he promises to do.  He is a spoiled child. He cheats, lies, steals, and kills all for his own benefit and it's time people realized what he is.  I didn't vote for Obama but I do believe that he doesn't deserve all the blame.  Iraq needs to take responsibility.

• Upvote 1

dontlop,

Well, my opinion on the whole political system and the way I believe it REALLY works is probably a little different than yours and that's okay... I'm just saying that when I listen to others talk about who they voted for and "why would someone vote for that stiff?", etc. I just have to shake my head and sigh because honestly I think ALL politics are complete BS and no matter what "side" you think is better or right the fact is that they are just two sides of the same coin.

The horse and pony show they put on every four years for the people is just that and I when I say our vote doesn't mean squat I mean that they probably don't even count the votes. They know who they are putting into office and for what purpose and for how long. WE (the citizens of the United States Of America) have no say whatsoever! We have been deceived into believing that we have a say, a choice and that we matter and that "every votes counts". It's not true and the father along they get with their ultimate goal the more the truth reveals itself.

I've liked your post for quite some time now... this is one of your best.

Thank You for putting it so much better than I would have...  Appreciate That. :)

Solutions???  Not putting you on the spot my friend... I am searching for them myself.

Maggie123,

Thank you. I'm just a regular girl trying to sift my way through this world, pretty much like everyone else.

As for solutions???? Well, I suppose that if anyone had "THE" solution to all of our worldly problems then things would be a lot different lol.

Seriously though, the world is in BIG trouble. For the citizens of the U.S. the only thing I could say that would have any decent result for us would be to get rid of the current government and ALL of the people that are a part of it and start fresh following our constitution instead of letting the elite, powers that be or whatever you'd like to call them... I prefer devils spawn because ultimately that is what we are talking about here IMO anyway... As I was saying, letting them control and rule and manipulate our complete existence. I know that doing something on this scale would take pretty much ALL of us to stand up together in order to achieve such an insane suggestion and quite honestly I don't think it will ever happen because people are frankly far too conditioned and too frightened.

The physical world we live in is really just a piece of the whole picture. We have to consider things on a much deeper level here if we want to come out of it in good standing with our creator. The people who "think" they rule the world and continue to commit transgressions against humanity and God have themselves been duped and they will sadly find that out when it is too late.

I guess what I am saying is that "solutions" are probably irrelevant at this point. All we can do is try to hold on to the good that is in this world and practice compassion, love and respect for one another. Also, asking God for wisdom, guidance, strength and the ability to overcome helps a lot. Other than that HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!

dontlop, Well, my opinion on the whole political system and the way I believe it REALLY works is probably a little different than yours and that's okay... I'm just saying that when I listen to others talk about who they voted for and "why would someone vote for that stiff?", etc. I just have to shake my head and sigh because honestly I think ALL politics are complete BS and no matter what "side" you think is better or right the fact is that they are just two sides of the same coin. The horse and pony show they put on every four years for the people is just that and I when I say our vote doesn't mean squat I mean that they probably don't even count the votes. They know who they are putting into office and for what purpose and for how long. WE (the citizens of the United States Of America) have no say whatsoever! We have been deceived into believing that we have a say, a choice and that we matter and that "every votes counts". It's not true and the father along they get with their ultimate goal the more the truth reveals itself.

I agree if they didn't keep Obama after his first term was such a failure it would look bad for future black presidents I think it was because of his race they kept him because he was a terrible president in his first 4 years just blaming people and not doing anything

The second term looks like the first one

Terrible all over again

And in 2016 the same idiots will take us a step further with Hillarious Clinton and first lady Bill.  Watch and see. Seems we won't see an RV for awhile unless we send our troops back in there.  I'm really disappointed with  Obama, Congressmen/Congresswomen and our Senators. We will all need extra cash by then. Grrrrrr

Yep if this is the mentality that has become America we will be a third world country soon

Hillarious won't be any better than Obama