Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sheriff Joe segregates inmates who are vets.

PHOENIX - Sheriff Joe Arpaio and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s office say they will begin segregating inmates who are military veterans in an effort to help them with programs designed for veterans.

According to Sgt . Christopher Hegstrom, approximately 250 veterans from the general jail population will be moved within the next 10 days.

They will continue to be subject to the same rules as the other inmates and will also continue to wear the pink underwear. Veterans convicted of murder and other felonies will be exempt from the new program.

The goal is to help the veterans find jobs, alcohol programs and other mental health-type programs, according to Hegstrom . He said the Veteran’s Administration has agreed to help with the programs.

The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said they expect the ACLU to criticize them for not offering the same help to all inmates.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/sheriff-joe-arpaio-to-segregate-veterans-in-maricopa-county-jails#ixzz2mobDAdSJ

• Upvote 8

Good for Sheriff Joe!!  :twothumbs:   Vets should be helped as much as humanly possible, they are the ones that fought for the rest of us to be free.  The rest of the inmates can serve their time, PERIOD.

I'm 100% with you on that one DD6 !!! A lot of Ex-vets problems ( not all ) are deep seated from there service. Good for Joe. +1 for you DD6

pp

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I'm 100% with you on that one DD6 !!! A lot of Ex-vets problems ( not all ) are deep seated from there service. Good for Joe. +1 for you DD6

pp

I agree all the way Poker  many of their problems are from their service to this country and her people, and when many of them come home, they feel very very alone.  We need to stand behind them any way we can.  Thanks for the thoughts and the plus right back at ya my friend.  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Really? Someone VOLUNTEERS for military service is given special treatment? BS on that. I would say anyone who volunteers for anything gets the same bennies as those who didnt. Being ex-military doesnt make you anything special. Just like the FACT i am retired from  the US marines doesnt allow me a free-pass over someone who volunteered to work at Micky D's. We BOTH signed a contract: work for money. We need to stop this "military worship" BS. You think you served your country? Good for you. I dont know a single person who has done so since WW II, but then some people believe we were attacked by Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and the Afghans. Serve your country by being a productive member of it, not a welfare taker in uniform. Dunno, just saying.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

I have a friend who's son is struggling with what he experienced over in Iraq.  He's already been arrested for DWI 3 times.  For  young men, teenagers, that are exposed to combat, I believe it may damage some of them mentally.  Now their classmates who didn't serve, and weren't exposed to combat, when they go out and get drunk, there's no excuse, I think that is where Sheriff Arpaio is coming from. 

• Upvote 5

I have a friend who's son is struggling with what he experienced over in Iraq.  He's already been arrested for DWI 3 times.  For  young men, teenagers, that are exposed to combat, I believe it may damage some of them mentally.  Now their classmates who didn't serve, and weren't exposed to combat, when they go out and get drunk, there's no excuse, I think that is where Sheriff Arpaio is coming from. 

You are spot on buddy!

Thaiexpat, I for one don't worship the military, I do however respect anyone willing to serve in our armed forces.  I have no problem helping pay for a free ride thru college, benefits, etc. if someone is willing to go to the hellholes of this planet and take a bullet for our country.  You are right there is no draft, if someone is in the military it's because they volunteered, I cut them no slack either and won't listen to any whining if they do by chance get sent off to fight, it's the chance you take when you sign up.  It's the willingness to sign up knowing you could get sent off and come home in a body bag or sometimes not at all, that I respect.  I would also be all for making an illegal alien a citizen for serving a tour.

If you think that the vets from Nam, Iraq, etc. are welfare babies in uniform, then you sir can kiss my @$$, and I don't care if I get banned from here for saying so, what's right is right, and you are dead wrong!!  Like Mark said there is a big difference between milking the system and getting a DWI and being screwed up in the head from watching your best friend's head explode inside his helmet and getting one because your a messed up and trying to figure out what you have become.  Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning crime, what I'm saying is you see time on a battle field, most people, whether they admit it or not, need help to cope with it, especially if you have taken the lives of others and I am all for them getting that help over some dead beat POS that belongs in a jail cell.  If you can't see the difference you've never seen combat and certainly  need help. Good day to you sir!  :salute:

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My younger brother has done 2 tours in Iraq. Survived 3 IDE attacks. Yes he has crawled into the bottle. In and out of jail.

Constantly milking the family for money. My husband has a soft spot for him because of his service.

In the end not mention several thousand dollars later, we and the rest of the family had to cut him off.

Husband has a problem with this but my brother will not straighten up and fly right.

We are all sad. No clue what to do next.

• Upvote 3

You are spot on buddy!

Thaiexpat, I for one don't worship the military, I do however respect anyone willing to serve in our armed forces.  I have no problem helping pay for a free ride thru college, benefits, etc. if someone is willing to go to the hellholes of this planet and take a bullet for our country.  You are right there is no draft, if someone is in the military it's because they volunteered, I cut them no slack either and won't listen to any whining if they do by chance get sent off to fight, it's the chance you take when you sign up.  It's the willingness to sign up knowing you could get sent off and come home in a body bag or sometimes not at all, that I respect.  I would also be all for making an illegal alien a citizen for serving a tour.

If you think that the vets from Nam, Iraq, etc. are welfare babies in uniform, then you sir can kiss my @$$, and I don't care if I get banned from here for saying so, what's right is right, and you are dead wrong!!  Like Mark said there is a big difference between milking the system and getting a DWI and being screwed up in the head from watching your best friend's head explode inside his helmet and getting one because your a messed up and trying to figure out what you have become.  Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning crime, what I'm saying is you see time on a battle field, most people, whether they admit it or not, need help to cope with it, especially if you have taken the lives of others and I am all for them getting that help over some dead beat POS that belongs in a jail cell.  If you can't see the difference you've never seen combat and certainly  need help. Good day to you sir!  :salute:

Thank you for your reply. For your information: Beruit and First Gulf War. Thank you. Now, to the exact issue on hand: someone who has BROKEN THE LAW (sorry, if I wasnt clear on that) and their treatment for doing wrong....I was referring to the person made the comment WITHIN the article saying something about the ACLU and the whole idea that because I VOLUNTEERED for something I am deserving a special class citizenship or whatever. This is what I am against. I never said anything poorly to those who served-please re-read my comment. My remark was to high-light this idea that you went-off to some place, saw and did terrible things and somehow society has to compensate you for your experiences? ONLY if you were forced into that siutation are you given the "right" to piss and moan. Many Vietnam and korean war vets are in this catagory. They were drafted into a war-they went against their will. The mentioning of such conflicts is to point out that NO ONE has protected America since WW II. All wars since then have been based upon a LIE or foreign policy decisions by people who love war and dont have to fight. Basically,if you think you deserve special treatment because you served, you are being mislead. As for getting benefits from your service (I get a pension for the rest of my life, thank you), you get what is in the contract(or what was agreed to). So college, health, a pension (as I get) are part of what is agreed to. I NEVER saw a special treatment clause because I do wrong things and deserve something better  than the rest of the law-breakers. All people who contribute to the wealth and development of the nation are to be treated as equals.Because I served in the Marines has no BEARING on my treatment above others. None. What about the young person who wants to serve, but has asthma? He is "less of a citizen" then those who did?? Give me a break. Yeah, stop worshipping cops, firefighters and military. They dont deserve it, but they do deserve what is agreed upon within their contracts. Want more after you signed-up? to freaking bad. Should have read the fine print before signing on. You want to love the military? Give them your salary then. Good for you. Send them letters thanking them for enforcing corporate interested and screwed-up foreign poliies under the color of protecting the Constitution. Some of us who have seen combat and people die (for no effing reason) understand this. 

Again, sorry if i wasnt clear in my intention of the orginal post. I would not want to see anyone restricted here (or elsewhere) for expressing their opinion. Dunno, just saying......

• Upvote 2

Thank you for your reply. For your information: Beruit and First Gulf War. Thank you. Now, to the exact issue on hand: someone who has BROKEN THE LAW (sorry, if I wasnt clear on that) and their treatment for doing wrong....I was referring to the person made the comment WITHIN the article saying something about the ACLU and the whole idea that because I VOLUNTEERED for something I am deserving a special class citizenship or whatever. This is what I am against. I never said anything poorly to those who served-please re-read my comment. My remark was to high-light this idea that you went-off to some place, saw and did terrible things and somehow society has to compensate you for your experiences? ONLY if you were forced into that siutation are you given the "right" to piss and moan. Many Vietnam and korean war vets are in this catagory. They were drafted into a war-they went against their will. The mentioning of such conflicts is to point out that NO ONE has protected America since WW II. All wars since then have been based upon a LIE or foreign policy decisions by people who love war and dont have to fight. Basically,if you think you deserve special treatment because you served, you are being mislead. As for getting benefits from your service (I get a pension for the rest of my life, thank you), you get what is in the contract(or what was agreed to). So college, health, a pension (as I get) are part of what is agreed to. I NEVER saw a special treatment clause because I do wrong things and deserve something better  than the rest of the law-breakers. All people who contribute to the wealth and development of the nation are to be treated as equals.Because I served in the Marines has no BEARING on my treatment above others. None. What about the young person who wants to serve, but has asthma? He is "less of a citizen" then those who did?? Give me a break. Yeah, stop worshipping cops, firefighters and military. They dont deserve it, but they do deserve what is agreed upon within their contracts. Want more after you signed-up? to freaking bad. Should have read the fine print before signing on. You want to love the military? Give them your salary then. Good for you. Send them letters thanking them for enforcing corporate interested and screwed-up foreign poliies under the color of protecting the Constitution. Some of us who have seen combat and people die (for no effing reason) understand this. 

Again, sorry if i wasnt clear in my intention of the orginal post. I would not want to see anyone restricted here (or elsewhere) for expressing their opinion. Dunno, just saying......

You just spoke a whole lot of truth there Thaiexpat.

I can't help but wonder if some of the PTS our returned vets experience these days is related to them going, seeing and doing the killing....

only to come home and say why?????

I highly doubt our kiddos would be enlisting at such high numbers if they felt they had other opportunities... this sucky economy actually serves the guberment and the money grabbing corporations in that regard, doesn't it? The "draft" is no longer neccessary.

BTW It makes me want to yell when people "THANK" the folks for "SERVING" over there that are working for the contractors.

Those people are "SERVING" no one... but the money grubbing corporations and themselves.

They couldn't get an honest, good paying job here and that is the only reason they went there... lets get real.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Give me a break. Yeah, stop worshipping cops, firefighters and military. They dont deserve it, but they do deserve what is agreed upon within their contracts. Want more after you signed-up? to freaking bad. Should have read the fine print before signing on. You want to love the military? Give them your salary then. Good for you.

Send them letters thanking them for enforcing corporate interested and screwed-up foreign poliies under the color of protecting the Constitution. Some of us who have seen combat and people die (for no effing reason) understand this. 

TRUTH

I joined the service because I felt it was my duty to do so,   I didnt join expecting any fame or fortune.  After 3 1/2 years stateside I got orders for Nam which I had to enlist for another 4 years to serve.  I did this because I felt it was a good cause to free people from becoming dictated to.  I didnt expect to get paraids when I returned to the States, a semple welcome home would have been nice.  Not getting that from anyone but family I must say was a shock, however, it really didnt matter because I felt I was right in doing what I did.  As for benifits, after being dischared for over 42 years and being a DAV for hearing loss,  I finally signed up for the health insurance. I dont believe that makes me a suckling of our government.  Im proud of my service and I extend appreciation on those that serve or have served.  whether in jail or not I believe they derserve it .  :twocents:  :salute:    

• Upvote 4

You just spoke a whole lot of truth there Thaiexpat.

I can't help but wonder if some of the PTS our returned vets experience these days is related to them going, seeing and doing the killing....

only to come home and say why?????

I highly doubt our kiddos would be enlisting at such high numbers if they felt they had other opportunities... this sucky economy actually serves the guberment and the money grabbing corporations in that regard, doesn't it? The "draft" is no longer neccessary.

BTW It makes me want to yell when people "THANK" the folks for "SERVING" over there that are working for the contractors.

Those people are "SERVING" no one... but the money grubbing corporations and themselves.

They couldn't get an honest, good paying job here and that is the only reason they went there... lets get real.

Maggie, with all due respect....your clueless, to bad you think this way of the contractors that service our military.  They as well have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.  They are there to help support their families as well.  A lot of them are years beyond the age of being able to find employment in the states. So please don't condemn those who are there not of greed, but just for providing for their families.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I joined the service because I felt it was my duty to do so,   I didnt join expecting any fame or fortune.  After 3 1/2 years stateside I got orders for Nam which I had to enlist for another 4 years to serve.  I did this because I felt it was a good cause to free people from becoming dictated to.  I didnt expect to get paraids when I returned to the States, a semple welcome home would have been nice.  Not getting that from anyone but family I must say was a shock, however, it really didnt matter because I felt I was right in doing what I did.  As for benifits, after being dischared for over 42 years and being a DAV for hearing loss,  I finally signed up for the health insurance. I dont believe that makes me a suckling of our government.  Im proud of my service and I extend appreciation on those that serve or have served.  whether in jail or not I believe they derserve it .  :twocents:  :salute:

Thanks for your time spent. You get a disability because it is part of your contract. Being given something for your work and work-related injury is NOT sucking off the gubermint teet. It is something that is earned. However, you are NOT entitled to special "rights" or privileges BECAUSE OF your service within or without of prison. Sorry, but you and I get what we signed-up for and nothing more. If you think you deserve (I mean you in the general pronoun sense and not you directly) a special this or that OUTSIDE of your agreed upon contract, then you are a welfare queen/king.

Now, WHAT goods or services does being in the military produce? Name ONE. There are NONE to be found. So if you receive a salary for producing absolutely NOTHING, what does that make you? Especially if your salary comes from the theft (sorry, I meant taxation) of those who are productive....So all of those who worship, love the military, why not donate your hard-earned to those who PRODUCE NOTHING and claim it is for your safety? Like the local mafia.(or police force, but I repeat myself) At least, you actually know them. Yeah, let all those who never served in combat bash me. You love war? go fight the next one with all your sicko buddies. have fun killing life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for your time spent. You get a disability because it is part of your contract. Being given something for your work and work-related injury is NOT sucking off the gubermint teet. It is something that is earned. However, you are NOT entitled to special "rights" or privileges BECAUSE OF your service within or without of prison. Sorry, but you and I get what we signed-up for and nothing more. If you think you deserve (I mean you in the general pronoun sense and not you directly) a special this or that OUTSIDE of your agreed upon contract, then you are a welfare queen/king.

Now, WHAT goods or services does being in the military produce? Name ONE. There are NONE to be found. So if you receive a salary for producing absolutely NOTHING, what does that make you? Especially if your salary comes from the theft (sorry, I meant taxation) of those who are productive....So all of those who worship, love the military, why not donate your hard-earned to those who PRODUCE NOTHING and claim it is for your safety? Like the local mafia.(or police force, but I repeat myself) At least, you actually know them. Yeah, let all those who never served in combat bash me. You love war? go fight the next one with all your sicko buddies. have fun killing life.   Im sorry I responded to your post as I usually dont respond to people with your mentality, however Ill address your question of " what does the military produce" with one answer and Ill write it slow so you can understand it.  F R E E D O M   Now that being said,  If you hated the military and what it stands for Why did you join in the first place??  And NO I dont enjoy taking another persons life but if it comes to him or me or my freedom its a no brainer.  I am through with this subject so I will not respond to anything else.

• Upvote 1

Really? the Military produces FREDDOM??? What planet are you from? Tell me of one example of the military producing a freedom???? Just one SMART GUY. Just one so this idiot can correct his ways. Hahahahhaah. What a joke you are. You cant given an example of freedom since it is a state of being NOT A GOOD or SERVICE that I was discussing. Sorry to use BIG WORDS with simpletons. Go look up those definitions. Might help you get your GED.

Why did I go in? Because I believe the LIES your ilk espouse. Funny thing is my old man did 26 years in the Marines and his words to me were, "well, if you're dumb enough to go in, I'll sign the papers.." I joined when I was 17. Graduated early from HS just to get into the action. Yeah, real smart. Should have listen to the expert, but thought I knew something. Learned the hard way, what a pack of lies it all is.

So, when you can contribute to this post with any sort of intelligence please let me know. And for the record, we are talking about giving CONVICTED military vets SPECIAL treatment just because they served. Try to stay focused and don't forget your ADD meds. Good god. Good grief. Good luck!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Really? the Military produces FREDDOM??? What planet are you from? Tell me of one example of the military producing a freedom???? Just one SMART GUY. Just one so this idiot can correct his ways. Hahahahhaah. What a joke you are. You cant given an example of freedom since it is a state of being NOT A GOOD or SERVICE that I was discussing. Sorry to use BIG WORDS with simpletons. Go look up those definitions. Might help you get your GED.

Why did I go in? Because I believe the LIES your ilk espouse. Funny thing is my old man did 26 years in the Marines and his words to me were, "well, if you're dumb enough to go in, I'll sign the papers.." I joined when I was 17. Graduated early from HS just to get into the action. Yeah, real smart. Should have listen to the expert, but thought I knew something. Learned the hard way, what a pack of lies it all is.

So, when you can contribute to this post with any sort of intelligence please let me know. And for the record, we are talking about giving CONVICTED military vets SPECIAL treatment just because they served. Try to stay focused and don't forget your ADD meds. Good god. Good grief. Good luck!!!

WOW someone sure has a vile disdain for our military, what were you the fat guy getting the sheet parties in basic?  Is your hatred of the US military the reason you now live out of the country?  If so I'm glad stay there in Thailand chief, or better yet find a bathhouse to relax in with Obama so you two can discuss how much you hate the people that keep you free!

Yep you should have listened to your old man, then you could have just been a waste of airspace instead of a hater of the military!  ROFLMAO

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Just a couple of thoughts... Thaiexpat is a US citizen, a veteran and now a Dr. in Thailand.

He is entitled to share his opinions here without being anyone's personal punching bag... some may not agree... fine it's your right not to...

Instead of bashing... bring up a good argument why vets convicted of crimes should get special treatment while inmates in prison.

Why didn't they get treatment before they commited their crimes?

Actually why don't ALL Veterans that have been in combat get treated asap... there has to be varying amounts of PTS for all of them.

Certainly not all of them go out and commit crimes because of PTS either... maybe some of them were jerks to begin with.

As for not supporting the "industrial war machine"... I am right there with Thaiexpat!!!

Who made us the world's police???  He's right... NO war since World War II has been fought for our protection or freedoms.

They have all been for other peoples agenda's... namely Banksters and Corporations along with the guberments working for them.

If you honor our military so much... you would not want their lives, well being and safety put at risk for those people.

There are many vet's who are saying the same thing... I think they are intelligent and care deeply about us and our kids who are enlisting.

I appreciate them very much for that... just as much as their willingness to "fight for our protection and freedoms" before they found out the lies.

Don't EVEN try to tell me that we fought these wars because we "cared" so much about another countries people.

Our guberment has not cared about ANY people for a very long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maggie, with all due respect....your clueless, to bad you think this way of the contractors that service our military.  They as well have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.  They are there to help support their families as well.  A lot of them are years beyond the age of being able to find employment in the states. So please don't condemn those who are there not of greed, but just for providing for their families.   

DinarCash... I'm not condemning the contractor employees... actually I feel for them having to leave their families to be able to get decent work.

They do this only because of the pay... period. I am not going to equate them to our military and say they deserve to be honored as such.

Who I do condemn are the contracting corporations who were allowed to form, then grow these contracts and make themselves wealthy from wars. BTW who do you think it is that pays these corporations? Yep US tax dollars.

I remember when our military was self-contained and had no need to contract outside dishwashers and laundry help for gazzillions of dollars... ever wonder why that got changed?

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1