Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Xet

I'm bored so let's see what you guys think of this...

I doubt there is a senator or congressman willing to support this but… I propose a law that removes campaign contributions completely and limits salaries of elected government officials to 5% over the minimum mean income of their represented area.

Fir
st campaigns, no entity, government, corporate or private may make donations to any specific party or nominee in support of their run for any elected office. Contributions can be made, in support of the general democratic process, to a general fund that will be used equally to support nominees. To ensure nominees are able to spread their message, travel expenses necessary to campaign will be paid out of a general campaign fund supported by taxes.
Elected official Salaries and cost. Salaries paid to elected officials will not exceed 5% over the minimum mean income of the officials represented area. Salaries and benefits will not extend beyond 2 years after an elected official has left office. As our first presidents did, the elected official will be expected to return to work as a private citizen upon completion of their term\s. Cost of travel, security and living expenses will continue to be covered by the tax payers while in office.

In essence, Elected office should not be a prize sought by only those with money and corporate friends. Family legacies of being a public servant should be for those that truly want to serve and create a better union, not those that want to increase and prolong their financial holdings and status.

Edited by Xet
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Although the idea is noble, the only problem I see... is that very few contributions will be made.   Not many entities... private, public or corporate, will donate money to a general fund.   Just won't happen.   It would be like gambling that your money went to the candidate you "hoped" would win.   Then you say... nah... I'll save my money...  :shrug:

I doubt there is a senator or congressman willing to support this but… I propose a law that removes campaign contributions completely and limits salaries of elected government officials to 5% over the minimum mean income of their represented area.

First campaigns, no entity, government, corporate or private may make donations to any specific party or nominee in support of their run for any elected office. Contributions can be made, in support of the general democratic process, to a general fund that will be used equally to support nominees. To ensure nominees are able to spread their message, travel expenses necessary to campaign will be paid out of a general campaign fund supported by taxes.

Elected official Salaries and cost. Salaries paid to elected officials will not exceed 5% over the minimum mean income of the officials represented area. Salaries and benefits will not extend beyond 2 years after an elected official has left office. As our first presidents did, the elected official will be expected to return to work as a private citizen upon completion of their term\s. Cost of travel, security and living expenses will continue to be covered by the tax payers while in office.

i

In essence, Elected office should not be a prize sought by only those with money and corporate friends. Family legacies of being a public servant should be for those that truly want to serve and create a better union, not those that want to increase and prolong their financial holdings and status.

sounds good

Sounds great. Good luck getting Congress to vote themselves into it.

Never happen!

These are the exact same folks who vote themselves at least 3 pay raises EVERY year.

and see that's the biggest problem. How did we go from electing people to work for us to letting them control us? Even minimum wage fries cooks can't be allowed to vote or control their own level of pay, if so we would be paying $500 for an order of fries to cover their cost.

as for people not donating, I don't think it matters. I mean you probably wont have 1 candidate spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get elected anymore, but does the amount of money spent in any way correlate with the quality of the candidate?? I would think recent history proves otherwise, there are so many other Americans I would rather see running the country then any of the candidates of the last 50+ years..

I will openly admit I don't have a perfect answer or solution, but something drastic does have to be done.

Every time you see a politician on TV or radio ask your self "does this person truly have my best interest in mind and heart? Would they choose to protect my interest over theirs?" I have never been able to say yes...

First campaigns, no entity, government, corporate or private may make donations to any specific party or nominee in support of their run for any elected office. Contributions can be made, in support of the general democratic process, to a general fund that will be used equally to support nominees. To ensure nominees are able to spread their message, travel expenses necessary to campaign will be paid out of a general campaign fund supported by taxes.

Works for me.....i think they have drawn their fat salarys without doing anything for the bestt interest of their people for so long. They should have been saving like they tell us to do.....so give them their money for a period of time....then its either get a job get on obamacare and draw retirement in comparsion to what we would draw in the public sector.

• Upvote 2

They should be forced to live they way the people they govern live. Like darwin said, make them live on social security. Make them live on 5-10 pct above the national median. Make them live like us, not the people they help get richer. Too many things to say about how they stick it to us on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

They should be forced to live they way the people they govern live. Like darwin said, make them live on social security. Make them live on 5-10 pct above the national median. Make them live like us, not the people they help get richer. Too many things to say about how they stick it to us on a regular basis.

So true. and I say better yet, replace them with one of us.