Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Troubled by Alcohol Misuse

bodiddily

Like me, there may be some of you who has a loved one or friend who has lost their way due to alcohol abuse; it is a devastating illness which wreaks havoc to all concerned.

Like me, you may well have been seeking cures, treatments and/or some understanding of why this is happening to people who you once would have considered normal and stable.

I have not found a miracle cure but I have just read a book that I have found extremely helpful and inspirational,

The Sober Revolution – Women Call Time on Wine o’Clock.

(Can be purchased on Amazon)

For those who have never experienced this problem, be happy for you are truly blessed, for the rest of us it is a continual nightmare which blights every aspect of our lives.

If this book helps just one of you then I shall be happy, for me it has rejuvenated my hope and given me the courage to continue to try and save the ones that I love from this crippling and misunderstood disease.

Edited by TexasGranny
removed link to amazon - added note
  • Upvote 1

I hope this message finds you and all of those close to you well. Although I haven't read the book you referenced, I am very pleased to learn that it has helped you.

I have personally found cravings for alcohol to be of a physical nature. Specifically, I used to crave it when I was younger, and during a period in my life in which I had extreme amounts of anxiety, stress, and pain from involuntary muscular skeletal tension. Unknown to me, my nervous system was functioning on 'over-drive'. I sought out many opinions, mainly for pain management, but the ultimate answer and explanation resolved all my problems at once. In 1999 I was introduced to a modality called neurofeedback. Neurofeedback (EEG Biofeedback) is a brainwave exercise that works by listening to the brain’s electrical output with the aid of computers. No electricity is used in the exercise and the process simply teaches the brain to function correctly. In my case, I had an excess of fast output and a deficit of slow. Although I can’t say for sure, it is my belief that this imbalance was the result of a head injury that I had at the age of 3. After learning about this, I was able to retrain my brain to function properly. I haven't had cravings or anxiety or the nerve pain that I used to have in over a decade. Neurofeedback will definitely become better known in the coming years. The benefits can not be over-stated. I know that cravings for alcohol have a complex origin, but knowing about physical influences may help isolate the exact cause.

Almost died yesterday. Fishing Los Angeles Aquaduct. After about Modelo 6 beers sitting there watching my fishing pole I stood up and lost my balance.

Next thing I know I'm sliding down the 30 degree concrete feet first, hit the water up to my neck. No foot traction due to the moss. Lucky for me there was a crack there and I was able to pull myself out. I could feel the current pushing me in the water.

Had I not got hold then I'd have to tread water down current 1000' to the bouy line they have every 1000' with long pants and steel toe boots.

Was all alone in the middle of nowhere, close call.

PD41

• Upvote 5

Almost died yesterday. Fishing Los Angeles Aquaduct. After about Modelo 6 beers sitting there watching my fishing pole I stood up and lost my balance.

Next thing I know I'm sliding down the 30 degree concrete feet first, hit the water up to my neck. No foot traction due to the moss. Lucky for me there was a crack there and I was able to pull myself out. I could feel the current pushing me in the water.

Had I not got hold then I'd have to tread water down current 1000' to the bouy line they have every 1000' with long pants and steel toe boots.

PD41

PD41 that had to be scary!!! I'm so glad you are Okay. Take Care...

My parents divorced when I was 12 due to my dad's drinkin' problems.  I experimented a bit early on... and really didn't like the "out of control" feelin'.... knowin' what that did to my dad. :unsure:   So I swore off any drinkin' of alcohol for 16 years... yup, not a drop (intentionally that is :rolleyes: )... but something happened to me... and to make a long story short... I finally got over the fear of endin' up like my dad.  So now I can have a drink or two and I'm fine... no desire to over indulge. 

I know folks on both sides of that fence and no I don't drink in front of friends who struggle with abuse.... but I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine with friends who do enjoy it as well.  

My heart goes out to those who do struggle... and from my experience there are many options... and it's worth overcoming that problem whatever it takes.  I know a lot of folks judge those who struggle with alcohol... but I always figured, as the sayin' goes... "there, but for the grace of God go I"... so who am I to judge???  

We each gotta make our own call on this topic... if you don't wanna "go there" and risk losing control... that's fine, that's your choice... but if you can enjoy drinkin' without putting others in harms way... that's fine too.  If you fall into the category of struggling with alcohol abuse.... I can give one word of advice... don't be embarrassed to seek help... it is so freeing to not be a slave to any addiction... and you don't have to live like that.... life has enough joy and pleasure in it imo... you don't need to cloud it up with outside influences.  I'm not sayin' that from a "silver spooned life" perspective... believe me, I've had my share of struggles, heartbreak, and shattered dreams... but I choose to believe it's not over til it's over... and I have faith things can always get better... for all of us.   ;) 

PD41

Dude.... things like that can happen with or without alcohol... but I'm glad your alright!!!  Be safe out there... and catch "da big one"!!!  :) 

• Upvote 1

Rod, you touched on one very important aspect of this disease (and that is what it is) in your advice "don't be embarrassed to seek help" this is a huge problem for all sufferers, in that it is not just embarrassment it is the stigma of being alcohol dependent.  

If you seek help from your doctor of this problem, then it is recorded on your medical notes, this can effect your employment, insurances, adoption chances ect, these possibilities force people to keep their problem a secret, it is a vicious circle.

Unlike other illnesses there is no celebration or relief if you become alcohol free, for it is still the case that people find it difficult to trust you for it is still believed that "once a drunk, always a drunk".

Society will continue to be cruel to these sufferers until we can find a way to change to change their attitude.

• Upvote 1

No argument there bodiddily...I think a support system is key...  the programs that I have seen pretty good success is through the ARC program of the Salvation Army.... they celebrate on a regular basis "how many days of sobriety" each one has achieved ... and even if it's only one day the rest of the group gives a rousing heart felt round of applause... and they are there for each other through thick and thin.  There are no easy solutions... the grip of addiction can be very strong... but I've met too many folks who have broken free to not keep the faith and hope for all those who struggle.  ;) 

Rod, I know that there are many such programmes that do sterling work, unfortunately these group sessions do not suit all, especially the the group that I am concerned with, that is the middle aged, middle class women. Again it is the stigma and vulnerability that they feel, which prevents them from attending.

Governments continue to spend time and money trying to resolve the problem with young drinkers, these drinkers have Mothers and in the past it was usual for the Mother to provide stability to the family, by allowing these Mother to fail without any attempt to save them we have lost one of our greatest assets.

It seems to be acceptable for a man to be drunk, but shameful for a woman, especially a mother. The crime here is that the shame is so intense and their fear of being disowned by their families and the wider community is so strong that they would rather continue with their devastating secret addiction than seek help.

We must all accept some responsibility for creating a society which allows such abuse of alcohol dependent people.

• Upvote 1