Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Entire Bible being read aloud on US Capitol steps

yota691

Entire Bible being read aloud on US Capitol steps
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 11:32 AM EDTUpdated: Apr 29, 2013 11:37 AM EDT
Jen Baird - email

22106716_BG1.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) - On the west steps of the U.S. Capitol, the entire Bible is being read aloud, non-stop, from Genesis to Revelation. 

The 24th annual U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon started Sunday evening with the opening words of Genesis and will continue day and night until the last Amen of Revelation is read on Thursday, the National Day of Prayer. 

The marathon's director, the Rev. Michael Hall, says it takes about 90 hours to read the Bible aloud cover to cover, with volunteers stepping up to the podium and taking turns, sometimes under umbrellas in pouring rain. 

The readers have no microphone or speakers to amplify their message, so tourists often give the readers a curious look and pass by. 

But Hall says foreign visitors are often surprised that Americans are free to read the Scriptures aloud at their seat of government.

• Upvote 11

Eagle eye you are a smart and instructed man, You know its unconstitutional since it would be endorsing 1 religion over others. Separation of Church and State, just like our founding fathers wanted it.

Your not even close to what the Founding Father Wanted...They set up the the Basic Laws of the US with the Ten Commandments...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Eagle eye you are a smart and instructed man, You know its unconstitutional since it would be endorsing 1 religion over others. Separation of Church and State, just like our founding fathers wanted it.

FALSE....as RE-INTERPRETED has been "added"  to "founding documents"..that phrase is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND IN ANY FOUNDING DOCUMENT PERIOD.....it is a phrase from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson telling the First Baptist Church of Danbury Ct, that there would never be a "church of America" as there was a Church of England and a Church of Rome....the founding fathers wanted freedom OF religion...revisionist historians and activist judges envision freedom FROM religion....dinar_stud I fear you have been mis-informed my friend...like so many other in our times....

but as the Bible makes abundantly clear..."....my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge...."  sad very sad....hope you are well my fellow veteran...you will continue in my prayers

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1

You be the judge.  Included here are many quotes from the founders on the
following subjects:

Religion and the law, especially in terms of the separation of church and state

Christianity (and its various denominations), Judaism, and even Islam

Personal views on religion

The quotes listed here are all sourced and verified.  I have included none of the many false 
quotes that have been circulating around the internet.  With the standard of only including 
verified and relevant quotes, I have managed to include quotes from the following founders: 
Thomas Jefferson (the most widely quoted of them all, and it seems the most widely 
misquoted as well), James Madison, George Washington, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, 
Samuel Adams, and for good measure, one from William Penn.
First of all, misconceptions abound regarding what the Constitution says about Christianity, God, and 
religion.

The writing of the Constitution took place in 1787 at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.  The 
delegates to the Convention drew upon their experiences with Great Britain, state constitutions, and their 
study of the history of government.  Many of these men were students and advocates of the Enlightenment.  
They did indeed believe in the virtues of education, general knowledge, scientific advancements, and 
practicality in government.  But religion as a guiding principle for government?  Here is the entirety of what 
the original Constitution says about religion:

"no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the 
United States."  Article VI, United States Constitution.

That's it.  That is the entirety of what the Founders deemed necessary to include in the Constitution regarding 
religion.  This is certainly not consistent with many of today's claims, and much of today's political rhetoric.

What about the Bill of Rights, and the rest of the amendments?  The entire text from the amendments 
regarding religion can be found at the very beginning of the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Nothing in the entire document, including all of the amendments, about the United States being a Christian 
nation.  What the Constitution does say about religion does not support such a claim.

When I point this out, I hear things like, "yeah, but they put all of that in the Declaration of Independence.  That 
document is loaded with many references to Christianity and makes it clear that we are to be a Christian 
nation."  Really?  The Declaration of Independence makes exactly four references of appeal to a singular 
higher power, none of which is in the same context as today's rhetoric about the United States as a Christian 
nation.  Here they are, word for word:

"the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them"
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their 
Creator with certain unalienable Rights"
"appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions"
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence"

Those four references are the only mentions of God in the Declaration of Independence.  So much for the 
notion that it is loaded with proof that they created a Christian nation.

The Founders clearly intended to establish a 
nation free from government advocacy of any 
religion.  They received their "values" from 
many sources, some Christian and some not.  
They believed that religious matters were 
deeply personal and government had no role 
to play.  They were not unanimous in their 
personal religious views, and many of these 
personal views differed widely from those 
that many people want to impose on us today 
through legislation.

The Founding Fathers believed that both 
religion and government would be stronger 
with a complete separation of the two.

The concept of the separation of church and 
state has been present from the beginning.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

You be the judge.  

Not our Job, to Judge..But to Spread his Word.. that's in the Bible as well as everything in daily Life. Stud your Party can't seem to get it straight...You often quote but are against and Crow about it 3 times in front of everybody  ..Like the Prez said and he seem to mix Church and State together here of late..

...Stud your party only seem to use it when they think they need to say it...while Destroying New Life... Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FALSE....as RE-INTERPRETED has been "added"  to "founding documents"..that phrase is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND IN ANY FOUNDING DOCUMENT PERIOD.....it is a phrase from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson telling the First Baptist Church of Danbury Ct, that there would never be a "church of America" as there was a Church of England and a Church of Rome....the founding fathers wanted freedom OF religion...revisionist historians and activist judges envision freedom FROM religion....dinar_stud I fear you have been mis-informed my friend...like so many other in our times....

but as the Bible makes abundantly clear..."....my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge...."  sad very sad....hope you are well my fellow veteran...you will continue in my prayers

Allow me to quote the letter -

To Messrs. Nehemiah Dodge and Others

A Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association in the State of Connecticut

January 1, 1802

Gentlemen,

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist Association, give me the highest satisfaction. My duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect and esteem.

Thomas Jefferson

President of the United States

• Upvote 2

Haha...

I have to wonder in this great country of ours where we all have "freedom of religion"...

What would you "Good Christians" be saying if some Muslims where there reading the Koran in it's entirety on the White House steps?

Not so "free" now... is it?

Seems like there are a lot of double standards to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

If our forefathers had been as confused about the matters spiritual as the generations have evolved to be, do you think the republic would have lasted this long?

I don't think so.

A couple hundred years? Hummm... You talk like we are "Rome" or something.

So JonJon... how much longer do you think this "Republic" is going to last at this rate?

Just Curious :)

• Downvote 2

So JonJon... how much longer do you think this "Republic" is going to last at this rate?

IF you study the fall of Rome we have already by-passed all the things that contributed to their fall...IMHO unless we "repent" we shall fall too....the prophecies (or visions) of George Washington MIGHT be a good place to refer all those who are hung up on what the founding fathers did or did not intend.....

I stand on the Word of GOD...".....if MY people who are called by MY NAME will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways...THEN I will hear from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land..." 2 Chr 7:14

• Upvote 3

IF you study the fall of Rome we have already by-passed all the things that contributed to their fall...IMHO unless we "repent" we shall fall too....the prophecies (or visions) of George Washington MIGHT be a good place to refer all those who are hung up on what the founding fathers did or did not intend.....

I stand on the Word of GOD...".....if MY people who are called by MY NAME will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways...THEN I will hear from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land..." 2 Chr 7:14

I have a more simplistic view...

"What Goes UP... Must Come Down".

Some Stuff Stays UP Longer Than Other Stuff.

OK Really EagleEye...

Maybe If We Were To Repent And Change Our Evil Ways... A Great Many Of Them... We May Last Longer.

Those "Evil Ways" Seem To Yet Be Determined... As The Bible Has NOT Seemed To Be Very Clear... At Least Not For The Masses In The US.

Too Many Interpretations... IMHO

I Also Stand On The Word Of God... "God Is Love".

My Interpretation Pure And Simple. :)

I believe the republic is over.  A republic implies "governed by law".  We have a separation of citizens and state. Our statesmen do as they please, the courts uphold their actions, and we live in the fallout of a system of liberty that's lost. 

Money has become our "God", so maybe we should push for a "separation of money and state" 

• Upvote 3

I believe the republic is over.  A republic implies "governed by law".  We have a separation of citizens and state. Our statesmen do as they please, the courts uphold their actions, and we live in the fallout of a system of liberty that's lost. 

Money has become our "God", so maybe we should push for a "separation of money and state" 

Thank You For the Reply JonJon. I Totally Hear You. :(

What You Said Is An Understatement My Dear.

Maybe WE Should... That Is The Most Brilliant Statement I Have Heard In A Very LONG Time.

END THE FED RESERVE!!!

The United States was NOT formed to be a nation with an established state religion.  It is a political body functioning to govern with freedom those who want to practice their religious beliefs without the interference of government.  Those who want to read the Bible on the steps of the capital may certainly do so without reprisal from the government.  It would be so concerning those who are Muslims reading the Koran or any other group with a "sacred" text; it should be permitted under the freedom of religion." I do not want a government that forces a religion on the people. 

At the same time, the Constitution and all political documents and laws protect those religions from governments interfering with their peaceful practice of those beliefs.  When the government starts telling religion how they should live, worship, and glorify God then that government is absolutely wrong!  Look around at those nations who have a "state" religion.  They do not have freedom of religion.  They persecute, kill, maim, other religions that do not believe like that state.  None of us really want a state religion

The passages in the Scripture calling the nations to repent are as true today as when they were written.  Sin is sin and it has not changed, it has only put on modern clothes.  Just because government or law declares an action to no longer be against the law does not mean that it is no longer a sin.  It just means that "the people" no longer want God to rule over their PERSONAL lives.  Therefore the prophets of old and the preachers today call for the repentance (a stopping that action and a turning toward actions that please God).  And, unless the people heed their warning there will be a judgment coming from the hand of God to "encourage" them or us to repent.  

The big problem is we Christians are not doing our work of proclaiming Christ.  God really does not want to bring judgment and discipline on the world, but He will if our continued rejection of Him goes unchallenged.  If we are the "light of the world" and "the salt of the earth" given the responsibility of sharing/preaching/teaching/ what God has done for the world, then we are failing to do our part.  AS Christians we need to repent as well.  

• Upvote 6

Certainly we must live by His teachings, but His teachings will not make any difference if their is no belief in Jesus as God.  We would just have another good book of rules and regulations.  If I only believe that Jesus was a good man, a great teacher and prophet, but do not believe in Him as the Christ raised from the dead, I am of all people most miserable.  There are some great and wonderful religions in the world.  Many of their teachings parallel the teachings of the Bible. There are individuals who have no belief in anything beyond themselves, who live caring and compassionate lives but who reject Jesus as the Christ, the Son of God.  I have some of them as my friends.  Yet all the loving, giving, service is insignificant without a believing, trusting relationship  with God, Jesus Christ.  And that relationship is not just living like Him, it is trusting that He is God come from Heaven to save mankind from an eternal death by giving us eternal life.  

Maggie, I can't not share my Lord.  It is unkind and unloving not to tell others about Christ.  "Live and let live" is not a philosophy that resonates with concern for the welfare of others.  It is a false and empty philosophy with self as the object, not others. You see, to live like Christ is to "seek and to save" those who do not know (trusting Jesus and what He came to accomplish) Him, and that means teaching what He taught. 

No, Christians can't "just live Christ's teaching and let others live by their beliefs." That, in itself, is Not living like Jesus.

• Upvote 3

Maggie, that is love.  If I knew where there was food and you were starving, would I be showing love if I did not tell you where you could get all the food you needed?

Now if you wanted to just starve to death you could reject my information about the food and I could not force you to eat, but that's a different matter.  

• Upvote 1