Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

UNSC: No Chap 7 release anytime soon...

cbs71

UNSC extends financing of Tarasov's mandate, urges Kuwait, Iraq to continue cooperation

Kuwait News Agency - 20 June, 2012

Acting upon recommendation from Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the Security Council on Wednesday decided to extend the financing of the High-level Coordinator on the issues of missing Kuwaitis and other nationals and property Gennady Tarasov's mandate until the end of this year, and urged Kuwait and Iraq in the meantime to explore "other arrangements" to ensure continued cooperation, and to enable the council to consider "other modalities" to continue reporting on the issues.

In a press statement following a council closed-door meeting during which Tarasov briefed the members on Ban's most recent report on the issues, Council President Li Baodong of China said the decision was taken "in order to continue to build upon recent increased momentum" towards the full implementation of relevant council resolutions.

The statement said the council urged Kuwait and Iraq to "sustain and intensify their constructive engagement" with the High-Level Coordinator, and supported Ban's opinion that both sides should begin "exploring other arrangements to consolidate and ensure continued cooperation in the search for missing persons and property, including the national archives, so that the Security Council will, in the near future, be in a position to consider other modalities to continue reporting on the search." In his six-month report released last Thursday, Ban expressed regret that no substantial progress was achieved on either of the two issues, and therefore recommended the continued financing of the High-level Coordinator's mandate until the end of the year, urging at the same time Iraq and Kuwait to begin exploring "other arrangements" to consolidate their cooperation.

According to the statement, the council was "encouraged by the recent positive developments in Iraqi-Kuwaiti bilateral relations," particularly after the exchange of visits at the highest level, as well as the positive outcome of the second session of the Joint Kuwait-Iraq Ministerial Committee.

The council "called on both states to continue to act in a spirit that builds further confidence and cooperation, which should contribute to the strengthening of their good neighbourly relations and enhancing regional stability," the statement said.

It also welcomed the continued cooperation of both governments and their "high-level commitments to full implementation of all Iraqi obligations to Kuwait under the relevant resolutions." Expressing once again their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of those involved, the council members "recognised the proactive efforts on the part of Iraq in the search for missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals, but stressed the need for Iraq to continue to build on the steps already taken to fully meet its commitments." The council appreciated Tarasov's efforts and the important work of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Tripartite Commission (TC) and its Technical Subcommittee (TSC) during the reporting period.

It welcomed the active participation by both governments in the efforts undertaken in the framework of the Technical Subcommittee, including the latest joint exploratory missions, as well as an increased emphasis on information gathering and the adoption of a new plan of action.

It noted that joint exploratory missions, within the framework of the TSC and under the aegis of the ICRC, "appear to be an appropriate and concrete mechanism to probe the fate of missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals and urged continued cooperation to translate efforts into tangible results." On the issue of property, the council welcomed Baghdad's establishment of an inter-ministerial committee to lead and coordinate efforts with regard to the Kuwaiti national archives.

The council welcomed Iraq's recent return of microfilm cassettes, currency, documents, and safe keys to Kuwait, but "noted the Secretary-General's concern that no substantial progress has been made on clarifying the fate of the national archives." It noted that "sustained efforts on this file could bear results," and reiterated its call for an "intensification of efforts" to clarify the whereabouts of the archives through the inter-ministerial committee and for its results to be regularly reported to the United Nations.

Finally, the council expressed its "willingness to consider" both files in the context of their review of Ban's next report which would determine if Iraq is fit to exit the Chapter VII of the UN Charter."

http://www.gulfinthemedia.com/index.php?m=politics&id=605871&lim=40〈=en&tblpost=2012_06

• Upvote 1

Well that's a bummer because we all put alot of expectations on this but in my own personal opinion I don't think a RV is hinging on chapter 7 being released.... maybe HCL or Erbil but not the UN sanctions. Remember, this is just my opinion...

• Upvote 7

Sounds like the end of the year on face value ,

Finally, the council expressed its "willingness to consider" both files in the context of their review of Ban's next report which would determine if Iraq is fit to exit the Chapter VII of the UN Charter."

So when is the next report?

Thanks CBS71

Well that's a bummer because we all put alot of expectations on this but in my own personal opinion I don't think a RV is hinging on chapter 7 being released.... maybe HCL or Erbil but not the UN sanctions. Remember, this is just my opinion...

I agree with you Bamagirl.

Do you think the Archives exist.?

• Upvote 1

Thanks CBS71

No clue.... I don't think the sanctions are still remaining have anything to do with Kuwait, just a way for the UN to keep Iraq under it's thumb awhile longer... too many reports a couple of months ago about how far Iraq/Kuwait relations have come.

• Upvote 3

If you really think about what is holding Iraq from being removed from Chapter VII sanctions, do you think video cassettes, and bodies that may never be found in the desert (100+ degrees since 1990 in the sand ???) are holding this up? I don't think so. There is nothing specific, a named document, a list of people lost in a specific area that they are looking for. It is a grab bag of nothing.

It is also interesting that a Chinese representative makes a statement. They don't make statements about anything, unless is is a country where they own a ton of their currency that is getting ready to revalue. Hmmm.

CVII is a carrot. When the government is stabilized, if possible, when they look like they are a democracy and the US sacrifices are justified, then Iraq will be released from CVII.

CVII has nothing to do with the RV anyway. It is the stabilization of the government that we need. Keep you eye on Maliki and not ban Ki-Moon.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Do you remember that long strip of highway just outside of Kuwait going towards Iraq.......the one where the U.S. & Allies pounded the crap out of anything that moved....the highway of death. I suspect a lot of Kuwaiti treasures (and perhaps Kuwaiti prisoners of Iraq) all got basically cremated.......most everything turned to black dust as I recall. Seems like this might be the answer to the demise of a bunch of Kuwaiti people and Kuwaiti archives/treasures. Who knows, this senerio could give the UN cause to consider, or "willingness-to-consider" this particular file.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree bamagirl.

Thanks CBS71

You're welcome my friend...

If you really think about what is holding Iraq from being removed from Chapter VII sanctions, do you think video cassettes, and bodies that may never be found in the desert (100+ degrees since 1990 in the sand ???) are holding this up? I don't think so. There is nothing specific, a named document, a list of people lost in a specific area that they are looking for. It is a grab bag of nothing.

It is also interesting that a Chinese representative makes a statement. They don't make statements about anything, unless is is a country where they own a ton of their currency that is getting ready to revalue. Hmmm.

CVII is a carrot. When the government is stabilized, if possible, when they look like they are a democracy and the US sacrifices are justified, then Iraq will be released from CVII.

CVII has nothing to do with the RV anyway. It is the stabilization of the government that we need. Keep you eye on Maliki and not ban Ki-Moon.

Good point KK!

I want to know what happened to all of Kuwait's "We support release from

Ch 7" talk?? I guess it was just that.

I agree that the remaining "sticking points" are unlikely to ever be truly resolved, so WTF???

Is it possible Iraq doesn't have all their ducks in a row yet, and will be under a lot of pressure to do certain things upon release they can't do now if released? Have they ASKED to not be released yet? No way we would see any news about that!

Just pondering.

Peace and Prosperity

I want to know what happened to all of Kuwait's "We support release from

Ch 7" talk?? I guess it was just that.

I agree that the remaining "sticking points" are unlikely to ever be truly resolved, so WTF???

Is it possible Iraq doesn't have all their ducks in a row yet, and will be under a lot of pressure to do certain things upon release they can't do now if released? Have they ASKED to not be released yet? No way we would see any news about that!

Just pondering.

Peace and Prosperity

Another stand out, point blank reminder, you can not believe everything Iraq puts out in their media. It might be a good point of reference to keep it in mind on their "breaking news" section.

• Upvote 1

No clue.... I don't think the sanctions are still remaining have anything to do with Kuwait, just a way for the UN to keep Iraq under it's thumb awhile longer... too many reports a couple of months ago about how far Iraq/Kuwait relations have come.

Psych! I tend to agree that Chapter VII is immaterial to a revaluation.

Another stand out, point blank reminder, you can not believe everything Iraq puts out in their media. It might be a good point of reference to keep it in mind on their "breaking news" section.

I believe you can believe very little of what Iraq puts out in the media. That's why I cringe to see DinarVets drooling over this or that "nooz" article. The powers that be, to include little ol' Iraq, are simply not going to telegraph anything in a "nooz" article. We might catch something through WikiLeaks, but so far nothing has materialized. The powers that be have Wiki too, by the short and curlies, apparently.

Edited by Sanssouci