Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Broncos Receiver Salutes Troops, Is Penalized

ems

Penalty for saluting the troops?!! I don't get it. As the article explains, the penalty occurred when he got on one knee. Is that an NFL policy to prevent players from bending a knee in prayer? By saluting, he was clearly honoring the troops. Am I missing something? :blink:

Shortly after Veterans Day, Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker paid tribute to America's service men and woman after scoring a touchdown in Denver's win over Kansas City on Sunday. Unfortunately for him, it cost his team.

After pulling in a 56-yard touchdown reception, Decker got on one knee and performed a salute to the troops. He was subsequently flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. It turns out that by getting on one knee, Decker violated the NFL's excessive celebration policy which dictates players cannot go to the ground while celebrating.

Legal in the NFL: Scoring a touchdown and then running 100 yards down the sideline to give the ball to your girlfriend who's a cheerleader for the opposing team.

Not legal in the NFL: Scoring a touchdown and saluting the troops on Veterans Day weekend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/eric-decker-flagged-salute-troops-touchdown-broncos_n_1093694.html?ref=sports&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl12%7Csec3_lnk1%7C112605

• Upvote 4

I have heard of some crazy stuff before... this about takes the cake! This is what happens in a society that can't think for itself. The result is that you write a rule and stick to it regardless that the intent of the receiver, and it was not to rub it into the opposing team by scoring... but to honor God and country and those who have served so that we could enjoy the freedoms we so take for granted. Maybe the ref needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and taught better manners! dry.gif I could volunteer a paddle if they needed one! wink.gif Maybe then he will think twice before he throws that yellow flaggy thing for such a stupid reason! rolleyes.gif

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 3

If you look - he was not penalized for the salute itself - but how he did the salute. It was a great idea - just poorly executed. (Been there *lol*) The rule about taking a knee in the endzone has been in the rules for 3 years - and I just have to ask - why salute from a kneeling position? Maybe I have too many years in the Military and I'm nitpicking. After all - he has no military training - which is obvious because he was saluting while kneeling and using his left hand....

Maybe we need to throttle back a bit. If the receiver was "honoring the Troops", you don't salute from a bent knee with the wrong hand. If anything that could be seen more as disrespect if anything.

Tankdude hit it right on the head.

He was flagged for a rules infraction, period. Like it or not!???

• Upvote 2

Maybe we need to throttle back a bit. If the receiver was "honoring the Troops", you don't salute from a bent knee with the wrong hand. If anything that could be seen more as disrespect if anything.

Tankdude hit it right on the head.

He was flagged for a rules infraction, period. Like it or not!???

He saluted with his left? blink.gif wow....I hope that statement of his using "the wrong hand" was inaccurate and if not, I hope it was just because he was left handed.