Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

+'s and -'s

Serious answer ...

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING you can do that involves a reader, or watcher, in the presentation, whether it is a lecture, or an advertisement, or a forum, is a good thing. It involves a person's feelings and expectations and in cases where the object is to sell, it helps to sell. When the object is to help make someone feel secure, it does that. and so on.

Example ... remember years ago, and they still do it today, when someone places a written ad to tell you all the good points about their product or service, they will list them with a little box beside each one, at the start of the line. They may put a check mark in one or all of the boxes. That check mark becomes something you do in your mind when you see a list with a box in front of every item on the list. As you read the points you are mentally filling in those boxes. What applies to you, What would get a check mark. What would you not want and so give an "'x" to ... see? It involves the reader in the process.

This plus and minus, though perhaps not thought out as such, is exactly what this it. It helps to involve people in theprocess of posting, and responding, and feeling they have made some sort of statement even if they dont' write a comment. It is healthy for the site to have that involvement.

smee2

• Upvote 6

Nice Smee2 ~

It also allows us to tell the jerks what we think of them without having to say it to their face! :P

And, it allows the jerks to see what we all think of them and see how they're viewed.. <_<

Maybe they didn't know... :confused:

SemperFi,

~ 56chvy

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well I would have used the word "negative people" than "jerks" but basically yes it can show us Mods too of what the community think of the individual. It is like a reg flag when using the negative. It can also catch your eye to something good if you see a lot of green too. It is a way to appreciate or disagree.

I might buy that except for the fact that you can "only post a limited number of negatives" per day....please. Then they don't really want your opinion......just abunch of positives to give the appearance of participation :(

There's a limited number of positives also... Some of the "jerks" would abuse the negatives if allowed an unlimited number. Could turn a good member onto a red flag with just 1 person who doesn't like what they have to say.

• Upvote 2

I might buy that except for the fact that you can "only post a limited number of negatives" per day....please. Then they don't really want your opinion......just abunch of positives to give the appearance of participation :(

If the number of "votes" for positive or negative were limitless, some people, we won't mention names, would be posting multiple negatives to punish and multiple positives to reward and basicallly taking every opportunity to post an opinion even where they don't have a strong opinion ... just marks to get rid of.

These are used as they are to halp us express those feelings, for or against, that REALLY mean something, and so the rationing of them is a good thing. If you know you don't have an endless supply you'll use them where you hope they do the most ogod. One should be discerning in matters of praise or denigration.

just my opinion of course

smee2

• Upvote 2

Nice Smee2 ~

It also allows us to tell the jerks what we think of them without having to say it to their face! :P

And, it allows the jerks to see what we all think of them and see how they're viewed.. dry.gif

Maybe they didn't know... :confused:

SemperFi,

~ 56chvy

Ditto! :D

B)

There's a limited number of positives also... Some of the "jerks" would abuse the negatives if allowed an unlimited number. Could turn a good member onto a red flag with just 1 person who doesn't like what they have to say.

Not buying it folks......simple solution would be to make it so you could either apply only 1 negative or only 1 positive to any single topic.......there should be no reason that anyone cannot "rate" every topic that they read.....is there? B)

Well I would have used the word "negative people" than "jerks" but basically yes it can show us Mods too of what the community think of the individual. It is like a reg flag when using the negative. It can also catch your eye to something good if you see a lot of green too. It is a way to appreciate or disagree.

Munsch ~

Well said. :twothumbs:

My apologies... :blush:

'Jerk' is not a word I often use, but it slipped out here, largely because I had just read a post where the 'word' probably applied. :(

However it is not appropriate for this site; I'll be more diplomatic in the future... ^_^

SemperFi,

~ 56chvy

• Upvote 3