Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

National Alliance rejects National Policy Council draft law

Josefus

National Alliance rejects National Policy Council draft law

Friday, December 10, 2010 11:00 GMT

The National Alliance rejected the draft law of the national policy council submitted by Al Iraqiya List.

National Alliance MP Abbas Al Bayati believes that the draft law of the national policy council represents the view of Al Iraqiya List.

The different political parties should not be bound by the draft law which represents high demands, Al Bayati said.

What does this mean?

I really hope this is just a smokescreen article.

My understanding of what's going on along with a little background which could be totally wrong is this:

When M was last in power he became a total power freak and became very Saddam-like. The other parties didn't get anything they were promised and he basically did what he wanted.

Due to the results of this election, M had to play nicely with the other parties (Iraqi List and Kurds being the main ones.) Since M didn't keep any of his promises to them the first time he was in power the other parties want assurances that he isn't going to do the same thing again. M has said he will honor the promises he made to them about power sharing when he's in office but they don't believe him. They want everything that was agreed to and the rules put into place of that power sharing arrangement BEFORE they vote for him.

The National Policy Council which Allawi is to be the head of is supposed to have executive powers of some type - translation makes it hard to know exactly what powers - but the gist is that this Council will oversee M to make sure that he doesn't turn into a power freak again.

This article seems to be saying the Allawi's group drew up the law that would form and give the Council its powers but the draft law wasn't acceptable to M/M's group.

If M doesn't give in and allow this Council to have the power that was agreed upon, then the List and the Kurds could decide not to vote for M which would cause M to completely lose the PM position. M is a survivor so I don't see that happening.

My guess is that IF the article is true and not a smokescreen that M is just trying to keep as much power as he can in the deal.

IMO, this is probably news that is several days old and has already been decided on. There hasn't been any real news coming out from Iraq in almost a week about Parliament or what they are doing.

• Upvote 3

Wow I was ready to read a long article and the thing is like two sentences I couldn't make heads or tails of this short little thing... I even checked other articles on there and they are all not even a paragraph long this site that was posted is probably the worst place for news from Iraq I have ever read IMO

Edited by Soldiering4U
  • Upvote 1