Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Another angle of this conflict that doesn't get alot of mention

tcjams

Sunni Arabs make up around 20% of Iraq's population, but they ruled the country for 1,400 years until the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003, when the Shi'ites — who account for 60% — finally took the reins in Baghdad. The Sunnis reacted by forming militant groups that, sometimes in alliance with al-Qaeda, targeted both the U.S. military and Shi'ites. By 2006, the two Iraqi communities were engaged in a sectarian war that claimed tens of thousands of lives.

LINK

Says Ghanim Hashem Kudhir, who teaches modern Islamic history at Baghdad's Mustansiriya University. "What binds them is not religion but common historical experience: Shi'ites see themselves as the oppressed, and they see Sunnis as the oppressors."

LINK

With the defeat of Saddam's army in the 1991 Gulf War, Shi'ites saw a chance to rise against the dictator. But they received no protection from the allied forces, and Saddam was able to smash the revolt. By some estimates, more than 300,000 Shi'ites were killed; many were buried in mass graves. For the rest of his reign, Saddam kept the Shi'ites firmly under his thumb. Several popular clerics were killed, including Muqtada's father. Saddam ordered the murder of Sunnis too, but there was a crucial difference. "When Saddam killed a Sunni, it was personal--because of something that person had done," says author Nasr. "But when it came to killing Shi'ites, he was indiscriminate. He didn't need a specific reason. Their being Shi'ite was enough."

LINK

The most famous Sunni extremist faction is the Wahhabi sect, of which Osama bin Laden is possibly a member. It is characterized by radical fundamentalism: The Koran is not to be interpreted but rather taken literally. There are to be no prayers or other appeals to prophets, saints, or any entity other than God. There are to be no images of or monuments to any supposed Islamic leaders, not even elaborate tombs for famous Moslems. And the Koran is to be the soul source of secular as well as religious law.

LINK

Below is an article written by a Sunni and a Shiite journalists.

Sunni and Shiite Iraqi journalists talk about war

I'm sure this was posted here on DV but I'm referencing it for the newbies and everyone else so that we ALL keep everything in perspective.

LINK

My point is this, I'm against oppression of any kind whether it be racial, religious, or political. We have to keep in mind that, while we see the differences of the Iraqi politicians as silly and immature, it truly runs deeper than just political. There's been no real mention as of late about the religious aspect of this political conflict and I believe it plays as much a part of the divide as the political differences.

They will get through this. I truly believe this, but don't let the political manuvering that has happened here lately fool you. There are still old wounds that have not healed on both sides of the religious divide and while all the talk is political we're talking about the middle east, a place defined by it's underlying theocratic history.

Just trying to make sure all the pieces to this puzzle are on the table. B)

• Upvote 8

All very good points to raise; tcjams. There was (and perhaps still is) a legitimate fear that the removal from Saddam from power might have opened the door for the Shi'ites to step in and align with Iran. They have been behind most of the unrest, and this is why the rapid formation and operational status of a new Iraqi government is so crucial.

• Upvote 1

Start tapping the oil and spreading the wealth and we will all be amazed at how quickly things seem to calm down. Just like in Saudi and the UAE if you give the general populace a good middle wage income you will see a tremendous decrease in internal fighting. What is there to fight over when you have four wives, three mercedes, two good camels, a swimming pool and plenty of hummus and bread to go around!!!!

• Upvote 3

All very good points to raise; tcjams. There was (and perhaps still is) a legitimate fear that the removal from Saddam from power might have opened the door for the Shi'ites to step in and align with Iran. They have been behind most of the unrest, and this is why the rapid formation and operational status of a new Iraqi government is so crucial.

AGREED! B)

• Upvote 1

Start tapping the oil and spreading the wealth and we will all be amazed at how quickly things seem to calm down. Just like in Saudi and the UAE if you give the general populace a good middle wage income you will see a tremendous decrease in internal fighting. What is there to fight over when you have four wives, three mercedes, two good camels, a swimming pool and plenty of hummus and bread to go around!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself! At the point where most Iraqi families can take their family out to a nice dinner, the whole Sunni-Shite issue doesn't seem so important any more...

I couldn't have said it better myself! At the point where most Iraqi families can take their family out to a nice dinner, the whole Sunni-Shite issue doesn't seem so important any more...

Again, you guys can't completely think like "Americans". Yeah that would satisfy us, but it truly is coming down to the Sunni vs Shiite and hopefully they can meet each other in the middle but there is still some manuvering that has to be done. I will say this...somebody is not going to be happy when the smoke clears. Stay up fam we're almost there. B)

• Upvote 2

TC,

Nice job!

I am not sure the most "learned" academics are able to figure out how this is going to turn out, let alone us "investors".

oh ... and ... GO RV!

WBC

I believe it will come down to concessions. They'll behave (Sunni's) if given high ranking ministries. IMO B)

The picture is very big....bigger they most of us will ever know, it's all about world $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nothing to do with what people think Sunni vs Shiite or anyone else it's all in "THE PLAN" IMO

I hear what you're saying but I don't think it entails the senseless loss of life while the "plan" is being enacted. B)

• Upvote 1

Excellent Point!!!

Sunni Arabs make up around 20% of Iraq's population, but they ruled the country for 1,400 years until the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003, when the Shi'ites — who account for 60% — finally took the reins in Baghdad. The Sunnis reacted by forming militant groups that, sometimes in alliance with al-Qaeda, targeted both the U.S. military and Shi'ites. By 2006, the two Iraqi communities were engaged in a sectarian war that claimed tens of thousands of lives.

LINK

Says Ghanim Hashem Kudhir, who teaches modern Islamic history at Baghdad's Mustansiriya University. "What binds them is not religion but common historical experience: Shi'ites see themselves as the oppressed, and they see Sunnis as the oppressors."

LINK

With the defeat of Saddam's army in the 1991 Gulf War, Shi'ites saw a chance to rise against the dictator. But they received no protection from the allied forces, and Saddam was able to smash the revolt. By some estimates, more than 300,000 Shi'ites were killed; many were buried in mass graves. For the rest of his reign, Saddam kept the Shi'ites firmly under his thumb. Several popular clerics were killed, including Muqtada's father. Saddam ordered the murder of Sunnis too, but there was a crucial difference. "When Saddam killed a Sunni, it was personal--because of something that person had done," says author Nasr. "But when it came to killing Shi'ites, he was indiscriminate. He didn't need a specific reason. Their being Shi'ite was enough."

LINK

The most famous Sunni extremist faction is the Wahhabi sect, of which Osama bin Laden is possibly a member. It is characterized by radical fundamentalism: The Koran is not to be interpreted but rather taken literally. There are to be no prayers or other appeals to prophets, saints, or any entity other than God. There are to be no images of or monuments to any supposed Islamic leaders, not even elaborate tombs for famous Moslems. And the Koran is to be the soul source of secular as well as religious law.

LINK

Below is an article written by a Sunni and a Shiite journalists.

Sunni and Shiite Iraqi journalists talk about war

I'm sure this was posted here on DV but I'm referencing it for the newbies and everyone else so that we ALL keep everything in perspective.

LINK

My point is this, I'm against oppression of any kind whether it be racial, religious, or political. We have to keep in mind that, while we see the differences of the Iraqi politicians as silly and immature, it truly runs deeper than just political. There's been no real mention as of late about the religious aspect of this political conflict and I believe it plays as much a part of the divide as the political differences.

They will get through this. I truly believe this, but don't let the political manuvering that has happened here lately fool you. There are still old wounds that have not healed on both sides of the religious divide and while all the talk is political we're talking about the middle east, a place defined by it's underlying theocratic history.

Just trying to make sure all the pieces to this puzzle are on the table. B)

Again, you guys can't completely think like "Americans". Yeah that would satisfy us, but it truly is coming down to the Sunni vs Shiite and hopefully they can meet each other in the middle but there is still some manuvering that has to be done. I will say this...somebody is not going to be happy when the smoke clears. Stay up fam we're almost there. B)

Been here for going on 5 yrs now and you are right.

GO RV B)

• Upvote 1