Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

It Isn't Finished...The Battle Is Not Over

Doesn't appear to "Be Finished' as we all hoped. But, this could be the

Answer for a GOI to be at last formed. The "numbers" just wont add up!!

Iraq Shi'ite union picks incumbent Maliki for PM

By Waleed Ibrahim Waleed Ibrahim – Fri Oct 1, 12:06 pm ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) –

An alliance of Iraq's Shi'ite political blocs picked incumbent Nuri al-Maliki as its nominee for

prime minister on Friday, ending months of wrangling that had stalled formation of a government.

The decision by the National Alliance, a merger of Maliki's Shi'ite-led State of Law coalition

and the Tehran-friendly Iraqi National Alliance (INA), marked a breakthrough in talks among Iraq's

political factions for a new government. A March 7 parliamentary election produced no clear winner.

While Maliki still faces hurdles before ensuring a second term, the announcement heightened

prospects for another Shi'ite-dominated government more than seven years after the

U.S.-led invasion that ousted Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein.

"As a result of talks conducted by (NA) political blocs, the blocs have agreed to nominate

Nuri al-Maliki for the title of prime minister," Falih al-Fayadh, an INA lawmaker, said at a

news conference after a meeting of alliance leaders. "By announcing this nomination the

NA promises the Iraqi people that it has sincere willingness to build, change and overcome

the obstacles of the past."

While the nomination was an important step, it did not assure Maliki of returning to the job he won

as a compromise candidate in 2006. He still faces opposition from the cross-sectarian Iraqiya bloc

led by secularist former Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, and dissent within his own alliance.

Some Shi'ite leaders said the nomination was agreed by two key blocs in the National Alliance, State of Law,

which has 89 seats, and the Sadrist movement of anti-American Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr,

which has about 39, with smaller factions.

"This announcement does not represent all INA parties," said Hassan al-Shimari, head of al-Fadhila bloc,

a member of INA that holds seven seats. "This is a deal between Sadrists and SOL (State of Law)."

Winning support from the Sadrists was critical to Maliki's nomination. They had been opposed to a second term

for the premier, who sent government troops to crush Sadr's Mehdi Army militia in 2008.

STRONG OPPOSITION

While Maliki's nomination by the Shi'ite alliance was a breakthrough, He (Maliki) may yet face formidable opposition.

The Shi'ite alliance, if it held together, would still be a handful of seats short of the 163 needed for a governing majority

in parliament, meaning a deal with other blocs was still needed.

Allawi's Iraqiya, which won 91 seats in the March vote, two more than Maliki's State of Law, has said it will not participate

in a Maliki government.

Joost Hiltermann, an analyst with International Crisis Group, said he did not expect to see a new government in Iraq

before the end of the year.

"He (Maliki) will have to overcome all of his opponents' reluctance to see him return as prime minister because of the

perception they share that he abused his power in office during his tenure," Hiltermann said.

Leading politicians have said the next government must include all of Iraq's fractious political factions, including Iraqiya,

which was heavily supported by minority Sunnis.

Allawi has warned that any attempt to exclude Iraqiya from the government could result in a return to sectarian violence.

Iraqiya lawmaker Osama al-Nujaifi said the Maliki announcement marked the end of the Shi'ite merger and gave his

bloc a chance to join with dissenters from the alliance.

"It is finished ... it is disassembled," he said.

Military leaders say militants have tried to exploit the power vacuum caused by the drawn-out negotiations for a

new government in a bid to disrupt Iraq's nascent democracy.

Violence has dropped sharply in Iraq from the height of sectarian slaughter in 2006-07 but insurgents still launch

attacks daily. Washington formally ended combat operations on August 31, putting Iraq's security in the hands of its

rebuilt army and police.

(Additional reporting by Muhanad Mohammed, Khalid al-Ansary, Rania El Gamal and Suadad al-Salhy; Writing by Jim Loney)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Upvote 3

:blink: There media is more messed up than ours! How can all of these stories be going around and around. every time i log on a different person has won the position of PM over there or is running or stealing or crying or............It all gives me a headach. :blink:
  • Upvote 1

How many times have we heard that the closer we get to the RV there will be all kinds of smoke screens put up so we are not so confident about the RV. Do you really think they would have nominated him if they didn't have some agreements in place already. I personally believe that it's ALL done and Parliament will meet soon and they will swear Maliki in and announce the RV right after. This is all part of their plan to throw everyone off what is really going on. GO RV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the post. I stated this before and I believe it to be true, IMO Maliki & crew would not call for the parilment to reconvene if they did'nt think they had enough votes. Just my opinion...................................GO RV BABY!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I was kinda wondering when someone would point out Allawi's position regarding Maliki. I hope this moves along to the next phase in some fashion...

THANKS for the post.

Ok here ya go. Allawi is the opposition that has more seats than Maliki....even with the Sadrist bloc of 41 seats .....why? Because al-Hakim will have none of Maliki.....All of what you have been reading and watching here of late has been to select a canidate from Maliki's bloc.....not THE PM. Only a canidate.....That means he still has to face the opposition which would appear to be The Supreme Council, The Kurds, The Virtue party and of course the Iraqi list (Allawi). Now those four blocs have enough votes to send Maliki into retirement... But if maliki cannot pick up any further support he cannot win. However....If he is allowed to be first at attempting to form the governement he will have a full 30 days to try...successful or not. Then it goes to Allawi..... now if Allawi is appointed to try and form up the government and all those other parties do indeed support him this will done quicker than if Maliki is first.......Why....He cannot win if gets no further support. But he will take his 30 days you can bet on it.

So the article is correct........It ain't over with and it could drag on....reference the iraqi Constitution for exact details of how long this could actually drag on ..........and remember I didn't write the rules.......but I do study them. Articles 76 and 81 will go along way to explaining this procedure......The answers are in the constitution. Good luck. Believe me I want this RV yesterday but they don't listen to me.

Look at the bright side.....If parliament does convene....no matter what the TIME CLOCK starts and then they have to do this within the prescribed time alloted by the constitution....In other words this will no longer be an open ended affair and by law they gotta get this done. No hiding behind a bunch of political BS then.......But then again it's Iraq....Who knows what they'll do.

Edited by automag
  • Upvote 2

Allawi will make a move as I said but at this point it may be to late for him to develope a plan to reposition himself. Remember Maliki was nominated not elected yet. The Iraqi people are hungry for the GOI to be completed and Maliki is in a very strong position right now with alot of backing within the blocs and now the people. I'am waiting for info on what moves if any Allawi is making. If Iraqiya breaks away we could be on this ride a little longer. I will let you know what I hear as soon as I receive any info on developments on this matter which I hope will be soon. Keep the faith and be patient a little longer.

Edited by viper51
  • Upvote 4

Just more posturing, and perhaps even some of this "abuse of power" we keep hearing about, from Maliki. Notice how Mahdi has been somewhat in the background over this nomination? The only way for him to "win" is to lose the nomination to Maliki and then he becomes free to display his dissatisfaction with the outcome and solidify his solidarity with the Supreme COuncel and the Virtuists. Then they exercise the invitation from Allawi to support MAhdi as the Iraqi List/Kurd/INA candidate. None of this could happen without MAliki forcing his nomination as he has. Yes, he may very well get his 30 days to further delay the inevitable; but, with Sadr now backing Maliki, I think this will just serve to push the SOL and remaining NA blocs into an unreliable "extremist category". Even the US is now looking more closely at Allawi and MAhdi thanks to the Sadrists and their anti-american mentality. Looks like we might be about to have some unfortunate accidents in the poilitical arena over there to help get the right people back on track. Of course, it is possible they may do it themselves before anyone else has a chance to "lend a helping hand". All very positive news for forward momentum none-the-less. WAtch for MoM (Ministry of Misinformation) to really start working overtime as we get nearer to the inevitable. Thanks to all for the great posts!!!! THey are VERY encouraging. Go RV !! PEACE

Edited by Nelson0528