Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

2022 Articles

umbertino

Journalist shot dead in southern Mexico, taking toll to five this year

Heber López, director of the online news site Noticias Web, was killed in the port city of Salina Cruz in Oaxaca state

• Upvote 1

Dillibe Onyeama, whose memoir of racist abuse at Eton shook the establishment

Onyeama became the first black person to complete his studies at the prestigious school, and a 1972 book, which Eton tried to quash, detailed the daily racist abuse he suffered

Fri 11 Feb 2022 10.00 GMT

Aamna Mohdin

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/feb/11/dillibe-onyeama-memoir-racist-abuse-eton-shook-establishment

• Upvote 1

Ivan Reitman, Ghostbusters director and Animal House producer, dies at 75

The film-maker behind bawdy comedy hits including Twins, Stripes and Kindergarten Cop, died at his home in California on Saturday

Guardian staff and agencies
  • Upvote 1

New Mexico: man arrested over stabbings of 11 people in Albuquerque

• Two critically injured after stabbings at multiple locations
  •  
  • Police say stabbings appear to be random

Associated Press
  • Upvote 1

New Hampshire students launched a boat in 2020. It was just found in Norway

The 6ft-long Rye Riptides was packed with photos, fall leaves, acorns and state quarters and equipped with a GPS

Associated Press
  • Upvote 1

Thousands of baptisms invalidated by priest’s use of one wrong word

Priest in Phoenix, Arizona, resigns after mistakenly using the phrase ‘we baptize you’ instead of ‘I baptize you’ for years

Wed 16 Feb 2022 16.57 GMT

Google to limit amount of personal information shared on Android

Shift comes a year after Apple curtailed amount of personal data shared by users of its mobile operating system

Wed 16 Feb 2022 15.47 GMT

Devastating floods and mudslides leave at least 44 dead in Brazil

Heavy rains bring destruction to Petrópolis and surrounding mountainous areas in Rio de Janeiro state

AP in Petrópolis
  • Upvote 1

How $10 radios and taxi bikes are helping to end the mutilation of girls

Across the continent, young Africans are using their unique local knowledge and bargaining power to challenge beliefs about female genital mutilation

• Upvote 1

Education or indoctrination: inside the bitter fight dividing America's schools - video

Carmel, Indiana, is an affluent suburb just north of Indianapolis known for low crime rates and some of the country’s best public schools. But early last year, the school board brought in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, or DEI, which seek to combat structural racism in the education system. Since then,  a battle has erupted between those who welcome the changes, and others who see it as leftwing indoctrination

Amudalat Ajasa, Tom Silverstone Katie Lamborn and Charlie Phillips, Source: The Guardian Wed 16 Feb 2022 11.11 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2022/feb/16/education-or-indoctrination-inside-the-bitter-fight-dividing-americas-schools-video

• Upvote 1

Privatising the moon may sound like a crazy idea but the sky’s no limit for avarice

A free-market thinktank says it’s time to start selling off ‘plots of moon land’ – we need to act now before the plundering starts

Thu 17 Feb 2022 06.00 GMT

Arwa Mahdawi

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/17/privatising-moon-economists-advocate

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Police stop brawl by letting white youth sit on sofa as Black teen is handcuffed

New Jersey governor says ‘racially disparate treatment is deeply disturbing’ after officers kneel on Black youth’s back as white counterpart looks on

• Upvote 1

Kuwaiti army allows women in combat roles – but without guns

Defence ministry says women joining military need permission of male guardian and must wear head covering

Agence France-Presse
  • Upvote 1

Covid impact in poorer areas of England and Wales ‘worse than first thought’

Study of years of life lost attributable to pandemic shows hugely uneven geographical and socioeconomic impact

Andrew Gregory Health editor
Tue 15 Feb 2022 19.00 GMT

Rowan Williams calls for UK wealth tax to tackle ‘spiralling inequality’

Former archbishop and campaigners say one-off tax on wealthiest 1% would help close gap between rich and poor

Rupert Neate Wealth correspondent
Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, umbertino said:

Privatising the moon may sound like a crazy idea but the sky’s no limit for avarice

A free-market thinktank says it’s time to start selling off ‘plots of moon land’ – we need to act now before the plundering starts

Thu 17 Feb 2022 06.00 GMT

Arwa Mahdawi

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/17/privatising-moon-economists-advocate

I bought my wife a plot on the moon years ago.  Just a gag gift but she got a map and a title HAHA

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, umbertino said:

Rowan Williams calls for UK wealth tax to tackle ‘spiralling inequality’

Former archbishop and campaigners say one-off tax on wealthiest 1% would help close gap between rich and poor

Rupert Neate Wealth correspondent

The bottom 40% of earners in the US pay no income taxes!!!!  The top 1% pay over 40% of income taxes.

And they match Social security and Medicare taxes for every employee they have. 

Happiness is NOT a right!!!  

The right to PURSUE happiness is.!

Unskilled labor is just that. Unskilled! Learn a trade and you will move up the ladder.

Flipping burgers at McDonalds was never supposed to be a career job.

I used to get up everyday as a kid ( 12 ) and get on my bike and throw newspapers... Had to do the collections too.

Now a guy in a van does this for a living! Whos fault is that?

I came from a low income family. I worked my butt off to get where I am. I took all the risk. 

Now I'm supposed to share more? I give to charity's that i believe deserve it.

Not some lazy crackheads sitting in front of the liquor store everyday

• Upvote 1

‘Finger cutter’ drug lord arrested in Switzerland

Flor Bressers, on Belgian and Europol most-wanted lists, has been on the run since 2020

Daniel Boffey in Brussels
  • Upvote 1

His journalist daughter was killed. Now he wants to ‘fix’ big tech in Congress

Andy Parker says he is ‘honoring’ his daughter Alison Parker’s death by fighting for a congressional seat to regulate big tech

Lauren Gambino in Washington
  • Upvote 1

Water in dozens of Philadelphia schools contaminated with lead, report finds

• Potentially tens of thousands of students exposed to toxins
  •  
  • Report’s authors say findings ‘just the tip of the iceberg’

• Upvote 1

Jackson and Meyers Taylor have made history in Beijing for Black Americans

Medals in speed skating and monobob raise hopes that more young athletes of color will thrive in winter sports

Bryan Armen Graham in Beijing
  • Upvote 1

Six African countries to begin making mRNA vaccines as part of WHO scheme

Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa and Tunisia first countries to be assisted by global mRNA hub

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

More rights defenders murdered in 2021, with 138 activists killed just in Colombia

Most of 358 victims worked on land, environmental and indigenous rights, with more killed in Mexico, India and among Afghan women

Wed 2 Mar 2022 06.00 GMT

• Upvote 1

Six key lifestyle changes can help avert the climate crisis, study finds

Research shows that governments and individuals making small changes can have a huge impact in reducing emissions

Mon 7 Mar 2022 07.00 GMT

Experts urge US cities and states to prep for future outbreaks as Omicron slows

As cases and hospitalizations decline, public health experts worry it might lull people into thinking the pandemic is over

• Upvote 1

International Women’s Day marked with events around the world – live

Latest updates: follow reports from the UK and across the globe as well as data and research on IWD 2022

Alexandra Topping

Tue 8 Mar 2022 13.23 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/08/nternational-womens-day-events-around-world-iwd-2022-live

• Upvote 1

Thousands to protest against Brazil’s ‘death combo’ of anti-environment bills

Demonstration against what activists call a historic assault planned after musician Caetano Veloso called for action

Constance Malleret in Brasília and Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Wed 9 Mar 2022 10.00 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/09/brazil-protest-environment-indigenous-bolsonaro

• Upvote 1