Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Crypto "Paper Wallet" Question

Floridian

Could someone please help me with this?

I have to make a "paper wallet" to hold my Electroneum (ETN).

I have watched all the YouTube videos and still don't understand 2 things.

1.  How do you "disconnect" from the internet?  They tell you to do this so that no one can steal your private key.

2.  At what point, in the process, are you supposed to disconnect from the internet?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

• Upvote 1

Couple of thoughts......

Don't know where you're current holdings are being held.......or what you're looking at for creating a paper wallet....which is in my mind the safest way to go......just don't lose your personal key info......

There are a few paper wallet generators out there.......

Once you have generator on screen you can disconnect your computer by disconnecting the cable....or disabling the wifi......many of these generators use java.....which is pretty common.

You create the wallet off line.....no one can hack your info.......I print my key info.....(be sure printer isn't attached on line).....if you keep your info in your computer on a pdf or in word......it can be stolen.....once done......erase your history......if you aren't running "incognito"......and reactivate wifi or plug back in...

Hope that helps......you might research bitaddress.org......and here's one more specific to Electronium......

Make that first transfer tiny to see if it works....you'll get comfortable with it.....

Don't lose your key info......if you lose that.......you lose everything in the wallet.....  CL

https://youtu.be/Gtmch7QnbJI

Edited by coorslite21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

Couple of thoughts......

Don't know where you're current holdings are being held.......or what you're looking at for creating a paper wallet....which is in my mind the safest way to go......just don't lose your personal key info......

There are a few paper wallet generators out there.......

Once you have generator on screen you can disconnect your computer by disconnecting the cable....or disabling the wifi......many of these generators use java.....which is pretty common.

You create the wallet off line.....no one can hack your info.......I print my key info.....(be sure printer isn't attached on line).....if you keep your info in your computer on a pdf or in word......it can be stolen.....once done......erase your history......if you aren't running "incognito"......and reactivate wifi or plug back in...

Hope that helps......you might research bitaddress.org......and here's one more specific to Electronium......

Make that first transfer tiny to see if it works....you'll get comfortable with it.....

Don't lose your key info......if you lose that.......you lose everything in the wallet.....  CL

https://youtu.be/Gtmch7QnbJI

Thanks, CL.  I should have said I have an iMac, not Windows.

This is all Greek to me:  "Once you have generator on screen you can disconnect your computer by disconnecting the cable....or disabling the wifi......many of these generators use java.....which is pretty common."   I don't know what "java" is.

How do I dis-attach the printer from being online?

I'm not computer savvy at all.  Don't understand all the jargon.  I don't have any family or friends that are into crypto, so there is no one who can help me.  I thought I was so smart to get into it, but now I regret buying ETN.

I'm very mad that ETN has no American Exchanges.  My Exchange has closed to Americans and I have to get my ETN off the Exchange this month, or lose it all.

I understand "If you don't own your private keys, you don't own your crypto".  I get it!  I was willing to take the chance by keeping my crypto on different exchanges, but this is too much to take - that ETN has no American Exchanges, all foreign Exchanges are closed to Americans, and ETN cannot be put into a hard wallet (which I don't know how to do, anyway).

I am fed up with Richard Ells.  ETN offers no help in this situation.  

I don't know what to do.  :shrug:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Floridian said:

This is all Greek to me:  "Once you have generator on screen you can disconnect your computer by disconnecting the cable....or disabling the wifi......many of these generators use java.....which is pretty common."   I don't know what "java" is.

I'm not computer savvy at all.  Don't understand all the jargon.  I don't have any family or friends that are into crypto, so there is no one who can help me.  I thought I was so smart to get into it, but now I regret buying ETN.

I'm very mad that ETN has no American Exchanges.  My Exchange has closed to Americans and I have to get my ETN off the Exchange this month, or lose it all.

I understand "If you don't own your private keys, you don't own your crypto".  I get it!  I was willing to take the chance by keeping my crypto on different exchanges, but this is too much to take - that ETN has no American Exchanges, all foreign Exchanges are closed to Americans, and ETN cannot be put into a hard wallet (which I don't know how to do, anyway).

With the time constraints you might google up a crypto club in your area......perhaps a Best Buy Geek Squad kid......

I have found these young ones to be helpful and they find it intriguing when older people are involved.....have them walk you through the process....best done in person......    hope this helps.....    CL

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

With the time constraints you might google up a crypto club in your area......perhaps a Best Buy Geek Squad kid......

I have found these young ones to be helpful and they find it intriguing when older people are involved.....have them walk you through the process....best done in person......    hope this helps.....    CL

There's an idea!

Thanks, CL. 😊

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 6:57 PM, Floridian said:

I've had my issues with ETN but I have the bulk of my ETN right on the Electroneum website vault, Maybe you could send it there if you have an Electroneum account to save it from the exchange. I actually was locked out of there for about 6 months because i didn't want to give up my personal info, but I did eventually and I'm now back on the Electroneum site thinking that I would just transfer the ETN I have there somewhere else, that way I don't care what they might report back to authorities, (it isn't worth much at all right now anyways). Maybe a cold storage wallet would be a good place to keep it?

Crypto getting beat up pretty good today so far.....

Edited by 64jaguar

45 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Dug this one out of the files.....just meant as some additional FYI educational info.....    CL

Thanks CL.

I watched the video and I do understand most of the stuff he said.  I know about paper wallet generators.  I know I have to keep the private key safe, etc.

I don't get the point of making "sloppy wallets" so hackers can just steal a dollar or two, when you can just disconnect from the internet when making a paper wallet.   

My problem is disconnecting from the internet.  There are no instructions on how to do that.  What do I do?  Just unplug it from the wall?

I'm afraid of losing everything if I unplug it.  How do people disconnect from the internet?  Maybe I'll just call the cable company and ask them, although I don't want to be asked why I want to do that, and whatever other prying questions the cable company may ask.

22 minutes ago, 64jaguar said:

I've had my issues with ETN but I have the bulk of my ETN right on the Electroneum website vault, Maybe you could send it there if you have an Electroneum account to save it from the exchange. I actually was locked out of there for about 6 months because i didn't want to give up my personal info, but I did eventually and I'm now back on the Electroneum site thinking that I would just transfer the ETN I have there somewhere else, that way I don't care what they might report back to authorities, (it isn't worth much at all right now anyways). Maybe a cold storage wallet would be a good place to keep it?

Crypto getting beat up pretty good today so far.....

Thanks 64jaguar.

Electroneum is NOT compatible with ANY cold storage wallets.  All foreign exchanges have been closed to Americans because of laws, or some such reason.  There are NO American Exchanges that handle ETN.  The paper wallet is the only way to keep your ETN safe.

Believe me, I'm plenty mad over this.  Richard Ells says he keeps trying to get an American Exchange, and he keeps blaming his lawyers for the holdup.  

As far as keeping all my ETN on the Electroneum website - I was told that if ETN has some kind of "outage", all your ETN could be lost.

I really don't see any way out except to make a paper wallet, off the internet.  I know that ETN has a paper wallet generator on their website, but I was told that if you use that, you are exposing your "private key" to ETN while transferring from their website to the paper wallet.  I was told these things from Electroneum Community Board members. 

I already lost a bunch of ETN when Cryptopia got hacked.   I don't want to lose the rest of it.  I'm pretty much at the end of my rope with this.