Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

{{{{{NEWS FLASH}}}}}Iraq signs deal to buy South Korean fighter jets

TAV

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20131212&id=17187127&ocid=ansmony11&lc=1033

December 12, 2013 6:26 AM ET

By By SAMEER N. YACOUB

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqi government has signed a $ 1.1 billion deal with a South Korean company to buy 24 multi-role light fighters to boost its defense capabilities.

The agreement to buy the T-50IQ aircraft was inked on Thursday during a ceremony held in Baghdad, the government said in a statement.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki hailed the signing "as a starting point" to improve the performance of the Iraqi security forces in order to defend the country and confront terrorist groups.

Korea Aerospace Industries said on its official website that it would support services for the aircraft for 20 years, which could push the total value of the deal to more than $ 2 billion.

Iraq is facing a rise in deadly insurgent attacks amid political and sectarian tension.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edited by TAV
  • Upvote 1

When Maliki came to the U.S., he requested for the sale of the F-16 to be expedited. I posted this because I remember reading a quote of him saying that he will not wait on the U.S. 

I guess he decided to look else were.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/2439/aircraft-export-iraq-korea-export-24-fa-50-trainer-aircraft-worth-us11-b-iraq

Aircraft Export To Iraq
Korea to Export 24 FA-50 Trainer Aircraft Worth US$1.1 B. to Iraq

T-50%20trainer.jpg?itok=pk9pAtuk

13 DECEMBER 2013

Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) signed a US$1.1 billion deal to export 24 FA-50 light attackers to Iraq, which is the largest-ever export in the defense industry’s history. 

KAI unveiled on December 12 (local time) that Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and KAI Chairman Ha Sung-yong signed a US$1.1 billion contract in the Office of the Prime Minister in Baghdad, Iraq, comprising the export of 24 T-50 aircraft and pilot training over the next 20 years. KAI and the Iraqi government also are set to sign another US$1 billion deal to provide follow-up military support over the next 25 years, which makes the combined export reach a US$2.1 billion value. 

The FA-50, serving as a light attacker and trainer aircraft, is a variant of the T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic trainer that was co-developed by KAI and Lockheed Martin, replacing the F-5 class aircraft operated by the Korean Air Force. 

When Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki visited Korea in April 2011, Chairman Ha introduced locally-made aircraft focusing on the T-50 class, and entered formal negotiations with Iraq. Since then, the FA-50 has fiercely competed with the Hawk-128 by British defense contractor BAE Systems, the Yak-130 by Yakovlev of Russia, and the L-159 by Aero Vodochody of the Czech Republic. Korea dispatched its peace and reconstruction army Zaytun Division to Iraq in 2004, building more friendly relations between the two countries, which also helped KAI to win the contract.

The Iraqi version of the FA-50, named the T-50 IQ, is armed with air-to-air missiles, air-to-surface missiles, and machine guns, as well as precision-guided bombs, both joint direct-attack munitions and censure-fused weapons. 

The deal came after Iraq last year signed a new contract to buy its second set of 18 F-16 fighters from Lockeed Martin, part of a deal to purchase 36 of the jets to rebuild its air force. “The T-50 was chosen as a trainer aircraft for fostering pilots of the F-16,” said an official at KAI.

With delivery scheduled between 2015 and 2016, the Iraqi air force aims to use the Korean-made aircraft to train its pilots and conduct light attack missions, KAI said. 

While KAI has sold T-50 variants to Indonesia, Turkey, and Peru, the sales of the FA-50 marks the first time for Korea to export the light attacker overseas. 

In October, the Philippine government signed a memorandum of understanding for 12 FA-50 fighters worth US$450 million. While a final contract was expected within this year, it has been delayed, as the Southeast Asian nation is grappling with the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. 

KAI is seeking to export the T-50 family of jets to the Philippines, Peru, and Botswana, while eyeing the US Air Force’s T-38 replacement program next year.

• Upvote 1

These are trainer planes, I'm think they can be used for defense, but I'm also thinking they're just going to use them to train their pilots before putting them in the more expensive US and Russian planes.

The deal came after Iraq last year signed a new contract to buy its second set of 18 F-16 fighters from Lockeed Martin, part of a deal to purchase 36 of the jets to rebuild its air force. “The T-50 was chosen as a trainer aircraft for fostering pilots of the F-16,” said an official at KAI.

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/167711-news-flashiraq-signs-deal-to-buy-south-korean-fighter-jets/#ixzz2nTOtCDdL

-

think  your right  masrkinsa ,  I was  hearing in the  wind  , when u.s.  pulled out of Iraq , they had  left a few  Cessna, and beech air ,  air craft ,  so I guess they have  crashed those already ,  needing  more planes  and  some one  to hold onto the joystick 

All that money to buy obsolete aircraft (comparatively speaking) to boost "defense capabilities"?  Just who are they planning to defend against - Israel?  They already have the favor of the Shiite world behind them - thus surrounding the corporate Sunni block.  It's no secret now - the Saudis are asking Pakistan for nukes to deter further Iranian incursion - prompted by the dumb ass foreign policy blunder we made last week in easing sanctions.  It is my belief they know better than to ask the U.S. for deterrent technology while trying to change the reserve currency for oil sales.  I also think global pressure precludes Saudi nuclear positioning as I am certain they will align themselves with Israel who does have them.  Perhaps this is part or all of the impetus behind the new Iraqi air force.  What a shame they can't apply that money to other economic sectors.  The Middle east is totally out of control and it is going to get much, much worse.  Prepare yourselves.

These are trainer planes, I'm think they can be used for defense, but I'm also thinking they're just going to use them to train their pilots before putting them in the more expensive US and Russian planes.

-

absolutely Markinsa ... you do not go from Cessna to F-16 in one step ....high performance training jets are essential !!

absolutely Markinsa ... you do not go from Cessna to F-16 in one step ....high performance training jets are essential !!

Oohh, I'm good!  I guess that' comes from T-38's flying over my house every 15 minutes during the day. :lol:  When I was in High School, I use to live South of Randolph AFB in the valley, now I live across the tracks. When I was a kid, I loved Armed Forces Day, the Thunderbirds use to fly over my house for two days and I'd just sit on the roof of my house and watch. :P

-