Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

SPEED Channel

Yukon Silvermoon

Fans Of The Speed Channel Are Pretty Upset About The Arrival Of Fox Sports 1
by Eric Goldschein | 3:42 pm, August 19th, 2013

speed-channel.jpgAfter reporting that the Speed channel waskilled off in order to make room for ESPN-challenger Fox Sports 1, we got an unexpected amount of feedback from our readers — or, perhaps, Speed aficionados who learned from us that Speed was done and had something to say about it. The article has literally hundreds of comments that more or less say the same thing: “We want Speed, we don’t want Fox Sports 1.” This is a heretofore unheard sentiment that caught us by surprise.

We also received many emails that seemed to put the blame for Speed’s demise on us. Why? Not sure. If you’re not a Speed fan, you’re probably wondering how mad someone could possibly be that a channel dedicated to motor sports is now a more general-interest sports network that includes NASCAR. We’d like to share just a few of the emails sent to us regarding this change, some of which seem to be raging at the universe, others upset with us directly (for some misinformed reason):

The might as well have called it the NASCAR channel, good riddance SPEED. Need a channel that covers things like the world rally, world super bikes, instead of going around in a circle and turning left. JMO

WM13

What about the coverage of the 24 hours of Le Mans and Nurburgring?  ALMS and Grand Am?  The countless programs showcasing how to's for working on your vehicle that came on Saturday mornings?  It wasn't all NASCAR.  

• Upvote 2

A lot of us gear heads loved the power block series of shows.

The new line up had obviously heavily advertiser mandated shows and the projects were focused on popular high profit cars and trucks that parts companies kept trying to convince the public were the ones we were supposed to love and want to restore.

While I did still record new shows to watch when I had time, I found myself not just blowing past commercials, but straight to the reveal, because the entire show was one big commercial.

I understand someone has to pay the bills, there was apparently no creative license allowed to the hosts.

Loved that 4x4 build show out of a small garage in Canada, and the muscle car show from another small garage somewhere in the mid-west.

Never bothered to do a frame up resto, but definitely got some awesome tips and short cuts I used on several of my rigs.

There's still some decent content, but every show has the identical format.

Corporate demands and obliging producers have all but killed the shows that brought people to the channel to start with.

I used to really look forward to just watching simple techniques used to effect repairs.

Now, the only ones left are full of arrogant builders and "surprised" crying men.. enough already.

Edited by divemaster5734
  • Upvote 1

We may have to wait a while, but I believe I have read that the new NBC sports cannel will be strong on auto racing. They will have NASCAR, F1, Indy Car, ALMS and I want to say the Superbikes as well.

I'm hoping for DTM and Aussie V-8 Super Cars too.

Velocity channel is the old Speed channel.

Just watched car fix, that and all girls garage are all that's left of the old power block.

Jesse from Trucks is a host on the girls garage, so they do some cool stuff.

Man... wish I could find myself one of those hotties that know how to weld or set camber and toe, or even one that can dial in a 3rd member ring and pinion.. could change gear ratios for a Sunday crawl.

WHoohoo.. I can see it now"OK sweetie, you pen the C6 and replace the plates and I'll rebuild the Edelbrock with the new jets".. OMG.. I'm breathing hard... gotta go shower....

• Upvote 1

You got the new 9 speed turbo jet shower head?

heh.. yeah, with 7.1 surround pumping 400W RMS per channel with 800W powered sub voice controlled 1080p 110" screen w/projector.. only turn it down when it knocks stuff off the neighbors shelf..across the street..

Actually, I'm a shop guy.. wonder if it's time to get rid of the green shag in the living room?...

• Upvote 1