Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cabinet decides to stop importing cement trade with effect from the first of July 2013.

May 28, 2013 Editor: jamal

%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%85%D9%86%D8%AA-370x290.j

BAGHDAD (Iba) ... decided to Iraqi Council of Ministers stop importing cement business types all with effect from the first of July, and between it will reopen import cement when needed, stressing the need to adopt a price acceptable to the domestic product, while pointing out that a committee was formed to facilitate the the passage of goods and materials contracted for the implementation of public projects through border ports.

The General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers said in a statement received by the independent press (Iba) ... today that "the Council of Ministers approved during its regular twenty-second session today, the recommendations of the Committee on Economic Affairs on stop importing cement business types all including white cement and lime amortized."

The Secretariat added that "prevent the import will be from (1 July 2013)," indicating that they informed the Ministry of Commerce to "wait in the granting of import licenses for these materials as of (14 May 2013)."

The Secretariat confirmed that "the Economic Affairs Committee will re-open the import of these materials at the check need to after the proposal by the Ministry of Industry and Minerals," and explained that "the Ministry of Commerce, in coordination with the Ministry of Industry and Minerals will implement the decision of the reopening of import in the case of insufficient product national" , stressing "the need to adopt a moderate and acceptable prices for the local product."

The General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers that "has approved the formation of a committee to develop a mechanism to facilitate the passage of goods and materials contracted for the implementation of public projects through the border crossing points through the simplification of customs procedures and tax," and indicated that "this committee will be headed by Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs and the membership of oil ministers , electricity, transport, trade, financial and general managers of the General Authority for Customs and taxes and border crossings and ports. "(end)

• Upvote 1

Cement.  hmmm wouldn't have thought of that one.  Odd.  Thanks DOS

I thought the same thing zig. But then I thought, stop importing so they could produce their own and POSSIBLY export.

W             T              Oooooooooo wouldn't that be nice!  :)

Edited by Dinar_o'saurs

I thought the same thing zig. But then I thought, stop importing so they could produce their own and POSSIBLY export.

W             T              Oooooooooo wouldn't that be nice!  :)

It would.  I do not know how you make cement but in my research.....they have I think everything to do it.

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/eazylist/cement.html

something to consider just possibly they have a major surplus of cement laying around not being used--just money being made on the contracts of importing cement

Just a thought

one more thing ---we saw bags of cement , when it is brought into the country  it is not in bags at least that is what I have seen at port canvernal  Florida--it is only bagged for the small domestic market--it is brought in by bulk carrier ships and offloaded in bulk--interesting

From rereading the article again Zig it appears that maybe prices have ran away in Iraq. Imagine that; and they are wanting to "adopt a price acceptable to the domestic product". I remember reading somewhere that China and I believe France had muscled there way into that industry in their market.

One big cost factor, from the way I understand it is the sintering in the link you provided. But there you have Iraq that could provide enough natural gas for the furnaces to create as much cement they need. 

It would.  I do not know how you make cement but in my research.....they have I think everything to do it.

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/eazylist/cement.html

Thanks capt, point well taken. You're right on the delivery of the product but here they are stating, "Iraqi Council of Ministers stop importing cement business types all with effect from the first of July", "the recommendations of the Committee on Economic Affairs on stop importing cement business types all including white cement and lime amortized." I believe these are saying to stop importing for the cement business on all types of cements. Bulk, bag, lime amortized which by the way Iraq has huge high quality veins of limestone (pg 18 of the pdf)

something to consider just possibly they have a major surplus of cement laying around not being used--just money being made on the contracts of importing cement

Just a thought

one more thing ---we saw bags of cement , when it is brought into the country  it is not in bags at least that is what I have seen at port canvernal  Florida--it is only bagged for the small domestic market--it is brought in by bulk carrier ships and offloaded in bulk--interesting

These are just my opinions and point of view. :)

PS... I concur sandfly! :twothumbs:

Edited by Dinar_o'saurs
  • Upvote 1

Iraq no doubt has vast cement reserves of high quality waiting to be mined. High quality rock crushing equipment is needed to perform this conversion. Iraq probably has secured such equipment. Iraq has in the past imported bulk cement from Iran loaded on barges. Now what has Iran got to trade, a few Mullas maybe? 

Diversifying....Parliamentary economy: the decision of the Council of Ministers to stop the import of cement is in the interests of the domestic industry

Wednesday, May 29 / May 2013 14:27 | pdf_button.pngprintButton.png|emailButton.png

b_280_189_16777215_0___images_idoblog_up

{Baghdad: Euphrates News} praised member of the Committee on Economy and Investment parliamentary Abdul Hussein Abtan, the Cabinet's decision to stop the import of cement, stressing that he is in favor of the domestic industry.

He said Abtan told {Euphrates News} on Wednesday that "the decision of the Council of Ministers to stop import of cement is a positive step, are in favor of the domestic industry, "noting," I was sent by a formal letter to the prime minister, called for by the support the local product for cement plants Iraqi and give marketing priority, "and expressed" thanks to the Council of Ministers on the adoption of this resolution. "

The Council of Ministers has decided, during its twenty-second, which was held on Tuesday, stop importing cement trade of all kinds from the first of next July, when he said in a statement received by the {Euphrates News} copy of it, "it was the adoption of the recommendations of the Committee on Economic Affairs on stop the import of cement trade all kinds, including white cement and lime amortized as of 1, 2013 with the Ministry of Commerce lingered in the granting of import licenses for the materials mentioned as of May 14, 2013. "ended 2 m

more to this Story...and I'm not saying this is Bad, it help with the Dependence of oil.. diversify.. as it helps supposedly the Private Sector but .....Who owns the largest Cement in Iraq?  :eyebrows: some may not give a crap, but I think it Interesting...

From K98 $ 70 million from IFC to Iraqi Cement Factory

2012-12-29

3faea49c-6130544544333433232-4d76-867467

BAGHDAD / JD / .. said IFC's investment arm of the World Bank that it will provide a loan of $ 70 million for a factory Karbala Cement Group's France's Lafarge to help renew the cement plant in Iraq as part of its efforts to support the construction sector domestic and assistance in the reconstruction of the country. 
said Foundation said in a statement: This loan will help to rehabilitate the plant, which would contribute in promoting the construction sector in Iraq, which is a major source of jobs, and supports reconstruction efforts in the country, which is the strongest need for infrastructure after years of conflict. " 
said Guy us, Manager industry, business and agricultural services, in Eastern and Southern Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East and North Africa at the International Finance Corporation, "This funding will help to overcome the shortage of cement facing Iraq now." 
and added: "The funding will also contribute in bridging the gaps supplies in infrastructure infrastructure has, also will play a catalytic role in attracting other foreign investors to Iraq. " 
factory Karbala Cement is a joint venture between Lafarge and Company Merchant Bridge, a private equity firm based in London. 
statement said IFC would be providing additional loan worth $ 20 million by Proparco, a financial institution development financed by the French Development Agency and shareholders of the private sector. 
will work all of the IFC and Proparco with a factory Karbala Cement to implement the strategy of environmental and social services to help the company to work in line with the international standards of sustainability. 
and the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a members of the World Bank Group, is the largest development institution world focused exclusively on the private sector in the developing world. 
statement said that this initiative comes within the framework of the efforts of the International Finance Corporation to support private sector development in Iraq during the past two years. 
and IFC investment worth $ 500 million in Iraq includes $ 245 million to cover the work of packing required for the construction. 
IFC investments reached during the fiscal year 2012 about $ 20 billion, which contributed to increase the capacity of the private sector in the world. / End / / 22

http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/137622-70-million-from-ifc-for-a-cement-plant-iraqi/?hl=%2Biraq+%2Bhave+%2Blargest+%2Bcement+%2Bfactory+%2Bworld

Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 2

Diversifying....

more to this Story...and I'm not saying this is Bad, it help with the Dependence of oil.. diversify.. as it helps supposedly the Private Sector but .....Who owns the largest Cement in Iraq?  :eyebrows: some may not give a crap, but I think it Interesting...

Spot on yota..... spot on!   ;)

You know cement is a great idea.  There is a lot of building plans in Iraq.  Housing for one.  Why import when you can make it?  This open's up jobs and export possibilities.  Very simple, could be very prosperous.   After all they do have a lot of sand.

• Upvote 1

Just a thought

All great points on this thread...yes, we've been seeing LOADS of cement. With cement, comes building, with building comes jobs and jobs that can't be filled solely by Iraqi workers. This combined with the articles we've seen stating (or implying) that Iraq has opened up their visa process for international workers, to me, is a good indication of WTO accession.  I wonder if we're going to see WTO accession and release of Ch 7 at the same time?  Hmmmm..  Great thread. Cement, who'd-a-thunk?

• Upvote 1