Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq executes 11 people despite international outcry

uncirculd

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-19864130

7 October 2012 Last updated at 10:12 ET

Iraq executes 11 people despite international outcry

_58239313_000412515-1.jpg More than 1,200 people are believed to have been sentenced to death in Iraq since 2004 Continue reading the main story

Struggle for Iraq

Eleven people have been executed in Iraq, bringing the number of executions this year to at least 113.

Ten Iraqis and one Algerian were put to death on Sunday, the justice ministry told the BBC. The men were convicted of terrorist activities, reports say.

The high number of executions has led to international calls for a moratorium on Baghdad's use of the death penalty.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, has described the situation as "terrifying".

Speaking in January, Ms Pillay said there were major concerns about due process and fairness of trials in Iraq.

She also highlighted concerns about forced confessions, pointing out there were no reports of anyone on death row being pardoned.

The high rate of executions in Iraq has sparked calls for a moratorium from the UN, the UK, EU and the human rights group, Amnesty International.

Executions were halted after President Saddam Hussein was ousted in the US-led invasion into the country in 2003.

However, the Iraqi authorities reinstated capital punishment the following year, saying it was needed because of attacks by insurgents and sectarian violence.

Edited by uncirculd
  • Upvote 1

We here in California get to decide if we want to stop the death penalty this election. To me some crimes deserve a sentence of death but thats just my opinion

Problem is we don't follow through here. The Ninth circuit court makes sure this does not happen along with endless appeals. Costs us hundreds of millions of dollars a year!

Many die of old age in better conditions than the General prison population. Thats not justice or fair to the families of victims

Thanks Uncirculd

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 3

These bunch of bleeding heart liberals, they would rather house and feed them for 20 years like they do here in the good ole US....One of the big

differences between their style of laws an punishment is they don't have a bench full of high priced lawyers getting the appeals process pushed

out 20 years like they do here. Sounds kinda simple if you think about though, if you build a bomb an blow up my police building and kill my cops

you will hang...Trial should last 3 days max.

• Upvote 4

We here in California get to decide if we want to stop the death penalty this election. To me some crimes deserve a sentence of death but thats just my opinion

Problem is we don't follow through here. The Ninth circuit court makes sure this does not happen along with endless appeals. Costs us hundreds of millions of dollars a year!

Many die of old age in better conditions than the General prison population. Thats not justice or fair to the families of victims

Thanks Uncirculd

You mean the 9th circus court don't you? :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm all for the death penalty if the defendant is actually guilty. But they could just call anyone a terrorist and put them to death at will. Innocent citizens are often convicted in the states. Trials are often little more than popularity contests. DNA evidence has released many innocent victims that had been in jail for years.

This could also effect Chapter 7.

Thanks Uncirculd

Oh I know quite well how the laws in Calif work. I was there when we voted that English was the official language and that was a joke. As for the death penalty in CA. I don't think they use it. And what is getting bad is that our nation is now hijacked by activist judges and the federal government. When states pass laws the government sues them. What's up with that? It's pretty bad when a state has to do the job of the fed government. Our government is a bunch of thugs. This is not one party or the other. They both are wingnuts. There are a few good people, but I think they should not stay in their positions as career representatives and/or congressmen. They get severely out of touch.

• Upvote 2

People need to die if they willing took someone else's life. This is a great problem in America we don't use the death penalty in some cases not at all in other cases not speedily. There is no fear for a murderer in this country. They don't fear dying for taking someone else's life. We just give the three hots and a cot for the rest of their life. No moral responsibility. We start executing people speedily capital crimes will go down. So keep it up Iraq just give people a fair trial.

• Upvote 2

People need to die if they willing took someone else's life. This is a great problem in America we don't use the death penalty in some cases not at all in other cases not speedily. There is no fear for a murderer in this country. They don't fear dying for taking someone else's life. We just give the three hots and a cot for the rest of their life. No moral responsibility. We start executing people speedily capital crimes will go down. So keep it up Iraq just give people a fair trial.

Well put Mathew

I believe personally that anyone tried and proven guilty by witnesses of a crime worthy of the death penalty should have the death penalty invoked. Anyone convicted by circumstanial evidence should not have the death penalty invoked. That is unless the circumstantial evidence is a huge overwhelming trail blazed to your front door. Which would be quite more than circumstantial. I also hate the fact that inmates get free medical, food, gymnasium time, excersize rooms, pools, etc---. I suppose for a person who was less than heterosexual prison would be a big party. We need to make prison an undesirable place for even homeless people. I know men who have gotten out of prison who commit a crime just so they can go back. They enjoy all the social aspects of prison. It is disgusting and a taxpayers nightmare. We pay the bills of these criminals. That in and of itself is criminal. JMOHO.

A few reasons I thought this article was important was that Maliki has people arrested on terrorism because they oppose him and that Iraq has an alarming rate of of folks being put to death. For instance: Hashemi! He was arrested by maliki's goons torturing his body guards and forcing confessions that were a lie. Not only that, he had a judge sign a death certificate of a body guard who died in prison saying that he died of natural causes when the mans actual cause of death was choked on his own blood when he tongue was cut out. Not to mention the marks on the body of torture including his genitals.

Hashemi happens to be a prominent figure in government (vice president) that he had the money and support to be protected from Maliki and is appealing this death sentence. It is not the guilty I put this up article up for, it is the innocent and the justice for the innocent. Those who are not prominent members of government and maybe a voice in trying to get justice in the country may not have had the same opportunity. Because they may have just been protesting maliki's policy. I followed the Hashemi trial while everyone was bashing him. I bet no one knows that the defence lawyers were not allowed to bring forth evidence to prove his innocence. Only the prosecution was allowed to present evidence. The evidence was a confession of a body guard. That's all.

I only put it up for the debate on Iraq's death penalty, not ours. Guilty is guilty, but involving at least 3 others by torture to get a conviction on your opposition is pretty low life. This is why I am so down on the PM. He's a very evil man. The death penalty would be too good for him. Too quick. He should take the route that he did to the body guards. Slow torture and electricity to his genitals. And any other thing that evil can think up as torture, and not kill him because it would take him out of his pain. I believe he should suffer as he has made the whole country suffer, not to mention all those death squads he has paid to kill his opposition. There has been numerous attempts on Allawi. Another one who is on our side but everyone here wanted to call him a cry baby. If it were not for Hashemi and Allawi we would not be this far. They stayed on the PM to implement Erbil. Maliki thinks he has finally gotten rid of Hashemi by death penality, and went further to say that "no on would dare overturn Hashemi's sentence". Got news for him, once Allawi is seated, mr maliki's corrupt judges will go away. He will be proven innocent, but I wish they would first prosecute maliki as an accessory to murder since he said he knew about this for years.