Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

best ammo for my Glock ?

wpsmit

<br />I would have to disagree with you about the "cheap stuff" unless you are talking about a two for one sale.    You should use the best ammunition available for reliability. Off brand ammunition has poorer quality control and more misfires. Even if you say that it is just for practice you should not use the cheap stuff. Practice with the same ammunition that you will use for defense. That will get you used the the ammunition and gun combination and with practice the bullets will go where you want them. The last thing you want to hear when you need your pistol is to pull the trigger and hear "pfffttttt"<br /><br />For personal defense I use Winchester 115gr Super X. What is most important beside what type of quality ammunition you use is making sure you hit your target.    Even if you use standard ball ammunition, just hit your target center of mass. If your target does not go down, hit it again. <br /><br />That being said, your first defense is not putting yourself in a situation where you need your pistol. But when all fails because of yours or someone else's mistake, just be glad you are prepared.<br /><br /><br /><br /><i><font color="#000000"><font size="1">To read disclaimer highlight from here<br /><i><font color="#000000"><font size="1"></font></font></i><font color="#ffffff">This is my own opinion based on good judgement and too much experience. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Since it is my own opinion, I am entitled to it. I will allow this opinion to be open to discussion for the benefit of all but not open for ridicule, argument or insulting remarks. This offer is void in some locations, and expires midnight at the end of the Mayan calander, IQD RV, or Fred the Wonder Horse's Birthday, which ever is in the middle. Tax and Tax extra, and void if the month has an R in it. Your mileage may vary. No gurus or pumpers were harmed in the formation of this opinion.</font> To here </font><br />Everyone have a great night and a better day tomorrow.</font></i><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would not use off brand ammo. Most major manufacturers have range ammo and self defense and there is a difference in price. Can't see using a hollow point on paper target. Being prepared and practice, practice, practice are necessary. As far as the expiration, I'll go with the RV. Fred The Wonder Horse was granted a reprieve and will not be included in the next batch of glue, at this time.

• Upvote 1

I would have to disagree with you about the "cheap stuff" unless you are talking about a two for one sale. You should use the best ammunition available for reliability. Off brand ammunition has poorer quality control and more misfires. Even if you say that it is just for practice you should not use the cheap stuff. Practice with the same ammunition that you will use for defense. That will get you used the the ammunition and gun combination and with practice the bullets will go where you want them. The last thing you want to hear when you need your pistol is to pull the trigger and hear "pfffttttt"

For personal defense I use Winchester 115gr Super X. What is most important beside what type of quality ammunition you use is making sure you hit your target. Even if you use standard ball ammunition, just hit your target center of mass. If your target does not go down, hit it again.

That being said, your first defense is not putting yourself in a situation where you need your pistol. But when all fails because of yours or someone else's mistake, just be glad you are prepared.

To read disclaimer highlight from here

This is my own opinion based on good judgement and too much experience. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Since it is my own opinion, I am entitled to it. I will allow this opinion to be open to discussion for the benefit of all but not open for ridicule, argument or insulting remarks. This offer is void in some locations, and expires midnight at the end of the Mayan calander, IQD RV, or Fred the Wonder Horse's Birthday, which ever is in the middle. Tax and Tax extra, and void if the month has an R in it. Your mileage may vary. No gurus or pumpers were harmed in the formation of this opinion. To here

Everyone have a great night and a better day tomorrow.

Minimum standard response is 2 rounds, center mass!!! biggrin.gif

That is how you should practice, practice, practice!!! biggrin.gif

• Upvote 3

There is a new range ammo called HPR that is made in AZ it is cleaner than Remington or Winchester and is 100% American made including the box it comes in that is what I use for daily shooting. Never had a jam or mis feed. Box of 45acp is$ 23.00 and 9mm is $18.00.

• Upvote 2

<br /><br /><br />

I would not use off brand ammo. Most major manufacturers have range ammo and self defense and there is a difference in price. Can't see using a hollow point on paper target. Being prepared and practice, practice, practice are necessary. As far as the expiration, I'll go with the RV. Fred The Wonder Horse was granted a reprieve and will not be included in the next batch of glue, at this time.

I see your point but to me, the idea in practice is to make everything as close to conditions as possible. Train as you will fight because you will fight as you trained. All brands and type of ammunition have different characteristics. For me it is more peace of mind that I trained with the same ammunition I am carrying to protect myself. It is more costly to practice with the good stuff but hey, I am worth it. "practice, practice, practice" No better advice can be given.

Minimum standard response is 2 rounds, center mass!!! biggrin.gif

That is how you should practice, practice, practice!!! biggrin.gif

Agreed with the practice part and the 2 rounds is the best way to practice. My point could have been said better. I will use that I was hot and tired as an excuse. cool.gif What I meant was that the beginner should practice more to be able to put rounds on target rather than worry about which ammunition is the best. It is better to have one standard round hit center mass rather than the highest quality ammo that can drop a bull with one shot go who knows where.

Thanks for the discussion, great points made and nice to chat with those of similar interest (staying alive). For all you who would like to see greater gun control, I think we should just enforce the laws now on the books. Consider gun control a tight shot group.

It is a new day here, the sun is rising, the jets are flying and the coffee is on. I think today everyone should do one nice thing for themselves and hug their closest loved one.

• Upvote 2

I have to say, to add to the discussion about whether to practice with the same ammo that you'll defend with.

I tend to think that if I have to defend myself, that the adrenalin alone will create such a difference in the experience that having different ammo isn't going to make lots of difference. On a semi-automatic, I'm still going to have to wait until re-aimed to pull again, and I doubt I'd notice any difference in recoil when the nasty man is rushing me and I'm trying to drop him like the dog he is.

At the most, I might just practice a few just to make sure that I'd be able to handle any unforseen differences in an emergency situation.

Otherwise, practice with the cheap stuff. The real life defense situation is going to be so different that it just won't matter, and I can practice lots more with practice ammo. I certainly won't waste hollow pts on paper targets either.

JMO :)

• Upvote 3

What is the best ammo for me to buy for self defense purposes?

Glock 26 gen 4 9mm

I know I'll probably get about as many answers to this as I would if I asked when will the Dinar RV, but bear with me, remember I've only been an owner for a couple of months.

I have researched a good bit online, and it would seem the consensus might be

9mm Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP)

What do you upholders of the second amendment think?

Glock 19 9mm or Glock 23 40 SNW Some people find the baby Glocks a little harder to handle due to the smaller grip. But that is up to the individual and the level of expertise.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much to all of you. As I suspected I got a multitude of opinions and I really appreciate all of them.

Best advice I have heard is find out what your local police use and carry that. In case there is ever an issue, it would be hard for them to say you were trying to kill because you were carrying some kind of exoctic load. I live in Georgia also, and most police are carrying 40 cal, but just buy the same brand they use.

Very good advice! I will check with them.

Lol.....I LOVE IT! Thank you! Cherish is definitely an important word and lifestyle. Life is too short to take anything for granted and not lofe every bit you can! Ggrrlllll....that Kimber 45 is an amazing piece! I decided against it for my first hand gun because it was a little barrel heavy for me, went with my Glock 19, and am holding off to get a Kimber later.

Ha ha Cherysh. I am really upset with you for introducing me to the Kimber brand. What magnificent looking weapons! They are now on my post RV bucket list for sure!

First, have you taken a safety / self defense / CCW course? You will learn a LOT there, including how to pick your carry ammo.

I personally use Hornady in my daily carry weapon, because I've gone through box after box of it with no FTF/FTE. Every gun is different, so you'll need to get to the range and figure out what works with yours.

Tip: Find two different kinds of ammo.

First, find the one that fires and loads every time and fits the description below. This will be a more expensive ammunition, but if you are carrying for self defense you do not want to risk your life on cheap ammo!

Second, find another cheaper ammo that you can take to the range and practice, practice, practice. Practice drawing your weapon from where you will actually carry it in daily life. Practice firing, practice loading, practice everything. The more familiar you are and the more experience you have, the less likely you are to have an accident.

Thanks, Adam. I have Googled for courses in my area and will be taking an Intro to gun safety, and a self defense course. I think that I will wait until the courses to settle on a self defense ammo to "load up" on and also on a holster. I also spend one afternoon per week (at least) at the range.

Glock 19 9mm or Glock 23 40 SNW Some people find the baby Glocks a little harder to handle due to the smaller grip. But that is up to the individual and the level of expertise.

I have a small hand (but big heart) so the baby Glocks are actually well suited and very comfortable for me. Before purchasing, I tested about 10 different brands, calibres, and types before deciding on the Glock 26. It just seemed made for me.

I am somewhat obsessive compulsive, so my new obsession for now is weapons and self defense. I will take as many different courses as I can. I also will try out at least one box of each of the ammo - Remington, Federal, Hornady, etc that are recommended here and on other ammo review websites. Thanks again for all of the great responses!

• Upvote 2

Thanks so much to all of you. As I suspected I got a multitude of opinions and I really appreciate all of them.

Very good advice! I will check with them.

Ha ha Cherysh. I am really upset with you for introducing me to the Kimber brand. What magnificent looking weapons! They are now on my post RV bucket list for sure!

Thanks, Adam. I have Googled for courses in my area and will be taking an Intro to gun safety, and a self defense course. I think that I will wait until the courses to settle on a self defense ammo to "load up" on and also on a holster. I also spend one afternoon per week (at least) at the range.

I have a small hand (but big heart) so the baby Glocks are actually well suited and very comfortable for me. Before purchasing, I tested about 10 different brands, calibres, and types before deciding on the Glock 26. It just seemed made for me.

I am somewhat obsessive compulsive, so my new obsession for now is weapons and self defense. I will take as many different courses as I can. I also will try out at least one box of each of the ammo - Remington, Federal, Hornady, etc that are recommended here and on other ammo review websites. Thanks again for all of the great responses!

Lol......aawww...dont be upset! If you havent already...wait till you hold a Kimber in your hand (mama likes!! Lol) I have to say. Timberwolf set my mind on my next one. That 1911 is hawtness! Tell ya what....after the RV, We will have to meet up and go gun shopping. Gonna need a lightweight, and shoulder holster for my CC. DEAL?

• Upvote 2

I have to say, to add to the discussion about whether to practice with the same ammo that you'll defend with.

I tend to think that if I have to defend myself, that the adrenalin alone will create such a difference in the experience that having different ammo isn't going to make lots of difference. On a semi-automatic, I'm still going to have to wait until re-aimed to pull again, and I doubt I'd notice any difference in recoil when the nasty man is rushing me and I'm trying to drop him like the dog he is.

At the most, I might just practice a few just to make sure that I'd be able to handle any unforseen differences in an emergency situation.

Otherwise, practice with the cheap stuff. The real life defense situation is going to be so different that it just won't matter, and I can practice lots more with practice ammo. I certainly won't waste hollow pts on paper targets either.

JMO smile.gif

laugh.gif Maybe I do have OCD when it comes to being detail oriented. That is a job hazzard for me. I tend to get a good workable plan for right now and nitpick to death every detail when I have the time. However, whatever slight advantage top quality practice ammunition gives me, I will take it when the fecal matter comes into sudden contact with the electronic air accelerator.

You are right about adreneline. You cannot avoid its effects , you can only plan for it. Bottom line we all agree with is no matter what ammunition you use, make sure you have the ability to put it where you want it to go and the knowledge when to do so.

When confronted with a disagreeable situation the civilized person will attempt to negotiate a favorable solution. In a violent situation, having a firearm will let you negotiate if possible and from a position of leverage. As Will Rogers said:

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' while reaching for a rock.

Its coffee time. Everyone have a great day, a better day tomorrow, and good place in line when the RV occurs.cool.gif

• Upvote 3

laugh.gif Maybe I do have OCD when it comes to being detail oriented. That is a job hazzard for me. I tend to get a good workable plan for right now and nitpick to death every detail when I have the time. However, whatever slight advantage top quality practice ammunition gives me, I will take it when the fecal matter comes into sudden contact with the electronic air accelerator.

You are right about adreneline. You cannot avoid its effects , you can only plan for it. Bottom line we all agree with is no matter what ammunition you use, make sure you have the ability to put it where you want it to go and the knowledge when to do so.

When confronted with a disagreeable situation the civilized person will attempt to negotiate a favorable solution. In a violent situation, having a firearm will let you negotiate if possible and from a position of leverage. As Will Rogers said:

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' while reaching for a rock.

Its coffee time. Everyone have a great day, a better day tomorrow, and good place in line when the RV occurs.cool.gif

Great response! Your right....big difference if you get chaotic in your mind when you get an adrenaline rush. Have to be able to take the adrenaline and still think clear, and be smart about your processes. Otherwise the outcome can hardly ever be good.

• Upvote 2

Best advice I have heard is find out what your local police use and carry that. In case there is ever an issue, it would be hard for them to say you were trying to kill because you were carrying some kind of exoctic load. I live in Georgia also, and most police are carrying 40 cal, but just buy the same brand they use.

Not really good advice. Cops and military are limited to ball ammo in most places and there are much better choices. Hornady defense rounds are a good choice.

I own and carry a Glock 40, Model 27 . I have the clip extension which make it easier to handle. I shoot Blazer, Remington, but prefer Federal. Most cities and even small towns have public and private gun clubs. Join the NRA and get lots of info on where , what , and the how's of gun control and ownership. Good luck and hope you never have to be put in a situation where you have to point and shoot anyone in self defense.

It's a magazine, not a clip.

• Upvote 3

Lol......aawww...dont be upset! If you havent already...wait till you hold a Kimber in your hand (mama likes!! Lol) I have to say. Timberwolf set my mind on my next one. That 1911 is hawtness! Tell ya what....after the RV, We will have to meet up and go gun shopping. Gonna need a lightweight, and shoulder holster for my CC. DEAL?

That's a date, Cherysh! And no I'm not going to hold a Kimber in my hand until RV.....I don't really have the $$$$ to spend on one right now, and don't want to be disappointed that I can't have something that looks and feels so good. Kinda like women, huh?

• Upvote 2

Exactly. You never want to use it, but you never hesitate to use! Not for a second! Smart retire cop! Always remove the threat. Good for you!! Hoping to have my concealed weapons permit by the end of summer :)

I just recently got my concealed weapons permit last month. I currently carry a Baretta M-9. Love it. :)

• Upvote 2

I just recently got my concealed weapons permit last month. I currently carry a Baretta M-9. Love it. :)

I am looking forward to finally getting mine, should have done it LOONNNNGGGG ago. I have a buddy with a super lightweight 40, but I forget who makes it, going to have to ask him. I prefer a shoulder holster but this thing he has fits real nice in a flexy sleeve that he can just tuck anywhere....Congrats on your CC btw! We need more people in the US to make sure we preserve our rights to carry. Law makers are really hitting hard this go around to try and take away that right.

That's a date, Cherysh! And no I'm not going to hold a Kimber in my hand until RV.....I don't really have the $$ to spend on one right now, and don't want to be disappointed that I can't have something that looks and feels so good. Kinda like women, huh?

LOL....I thought I was going to reply to that last part, and I kind of still will. Sometimes people under estimate themselves and feel they cant have certain things (including a a good woman, or vice versa :)) ). Its what you make of it. Maybe you dont have them now....but patience and a little planning (or a RV anytime soon would be NICE IRAQ!! lol), and faith that you can and will achieve anything you put your heart into, then you can do it! Just how I feel about it. Didn't always, but I truly believe it.

I dont have the $$ to spend on what I want right now either, but boy do I love to daydream sometimes...lmao

• Upvote 1