Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Lead us not into mistranslation: pope wants Lord's Prayer changed

umbertino

Pope Francis says wording of prayer in English implies that God induces temptation – but that is Satan’s department

Harriet Sherwood and agency

Friday 8 December 2017 13.17 GMT

4664.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d668de4bab25def9a7a24475c18a7f0a
Pope Francis spoke out about the Lord’s Prayer on Italian TV.
Photograph: Andrew Medichini/AP

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/08/lead-us-not-into-mistranslation-pope-wants-lords-prayer-changed

umb's note: in Italian it's like that as well as we pray " Non indurci in tentazione" which means " Do not induce us into temptation"

I saw this on Fox this morn..........well, of course the Pope should change our very own Jesus Christ prayer that He taught to His disciples when they ask Him to teach them how to pray!!!!!!!!NOT!     Since when does he know more than our Lord and what is pleasing in Gods eyes?     Also, should man be changing wording and things around in Gods very own words...   I think not 

We have a warning in Rev. 22:18-19.  For those not familiar give it a read.  This is once again our Lord Jesus speaking to all mankind

barb

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Weighted wording of Guardian headlines!

used to be called “yellow journalism”

The two versions of the Lord’s Prayer most commonly used in England both say “lead us not into temptation”.
“I’m not aware of any plans to change the translation in the English-speaking world but you can certainly see the logic of doing so,” said Austen Ivereigh, the pope’s biographer.

• Thanks 1

James 1:12-18

12 Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has [fn]been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted [fn]by God”; for God cannot be tempted [fn]by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. 15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin [fn]is accomplished, it brings forth death. 16 Do not be [fn]deceived, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow. 18 In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be [fn]a kind of first fruits [fn]among His creatures.

If God does not tempt anyone, per the verse above, perhaps the traditional "Lord's Prayer" translation is incorrect?

• Thanks 3