Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Five killed including gunman in shootings at two military facilities in Chattanooga

umbertino

Tennessee governor Bill Haslam says military personnel have been killed as shootings rock naval recruiting building and military reserve center

Jamiles Lartey and agencies

Thursday 16 July 2015 19.57 BST

A number of military personnel have been killed in attacks on two facilities in Tennessee, governor Bill Haslam said on Thursday.

Haslam did not say how many people were killed or provide further details about who was among the dead.

The Associated Press reported that five people were dead, including the gunman.

At least two military facilities in Tennessee were attacked in shootings, a naval recruiting building and a military reserve center, officials have said.

Chattanooga mayor Andy Berke said it was a “very terrible situation” and a “horrific incident in our community”, and offered prayers “to all those affected”.

Berke said there was “an officer down” at the military reserve center, believed to be the Navy Operational support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center. He did not release any other details.

Chattanooga police said the active shooting was now over.

Police said in a tweet: “Active shooter situation is over. Details forthcoming.”

The shooting is believed to have begun at the Armed Forces Career Center on Lee Highway, Chattanooga. Gina Mule, a witness at the Lee Highway location, told CNN that she saw a white male in a silver convertible Ford Mustang with a gun.

“He had a big, big high-powered rifle. He was opening fire, the Air Force, Marines and Navy offices,” Mule told CNN.

Mule said she saw the man reload his rifle and then drive away.

Law enforcement officials told recruiters that they were attacked by a shooter in a car. The shooter stopped in front of the recruiting facility, shot at the building and drove off, said Brian Lepley, a spokesman with the US army recruiting command in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Television images of a door to the center in a strip mall showed more than a dozen bullet holes in the glass.

The army recruiters at the facility told Lepley they were not hurt and had been evacuated; Lepley said he had no information about recruiters for the other branches at the facility.

An active duty army recruiter in said he was at his office when someone opened fire and he heard 30 to 50 shots.

“We heard one single shot, which kind of sparked our attention. Shortly after that, just a few seconds, the shooter began shooting more rounds. We realized it was an actual shooting, so we then initiated our active shooter drill: getting down low to the ground, moving to a safe location. And we waited until everything seemed to be clear.” He said he did not see the gunman or a vehicle.

Shortly after, there were reports of a shooting at a naval reserve center, believed to be the Navy Operational support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center, about six miles away on Amnicola Highway.

The US Navy confirmed on Twitter that a shooting had occurred there.

Victims were taken to Erlanger Hospital, which had been placed on lockdown.

A shopping mall, two nearby colleges and the Tennessee governor’s mansion were all also placed on lockdown in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

A temporary flight restriction was placed over Chattanooga while police searched for the suspect. The Department of Homeland Security reportedly activated its Chattanooga Strike Team. The Chattanooga Police were joined in responding to the incident by the Tennessee State Police, the FBI and the ATF.

Police set up a command post near one of the sites.

Chattanooga State Community College said in a tweet and on its website that a shooting was confirmed near the campus and that everyone should stay inside and close doors. The campus was on lockdown.

Barack Obama was briefed by his national security team on the shooting while in Oklahoma to speak about criminal justice reform at a federal prison.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz says that the president would continue getting updates from his staff as needed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

900.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

Authorities work an active shooting scene near the naval reserve center in Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Thursday.
Photograph: AP

1000.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

The windows of the Armed Forces recruitment center have several bullet holes from a shooting as the area is cordoned off with blue shell casing markers in the parking lot on Thursday in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Photograph: Tim Barber/AP

Area map in link

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/16/chattanooga-tennessee-active-shooter-navy-reserve-center

First off my my heart goes out to all of these families whose world will never be the same again. I pray that comfort and peace can come into your hearts in your time of great need. We all feel your loss because we are Americans and we know the price of freedom. This was an all out attack against America, its happened again. In a broad sense we know the root of this evil, all of these cowards are out to destroy our way of life and everything that makes us a family. Once again I will pray for the American Soldiers who have given us a safe place to to lay our heads, and raise our families in a country so great. "Psalm 61"

• Upvote 1

It is sad.  Lots of prayers going up for the city.  

However, the city, police, FBI, Homeland Security, were quick and effective in handling the situation.  The area where the first shooting took place was close to where Danomite and I live.  The other on Amlacola HyWy is a little further from us, but you can get there in just minutes.  

Actually, I was not watching the news and didn't know anything had happened until till I got a text from a police officer friend who works across the road from where all the deaths took place.  He just sent a text that said:  "I am good.  I may be busy for a while though. (name)"  

My response:  "Ok.  Did I (my pocket) text you."  

Officer:  "No." "Go to CNN.com"

I went in to the TV and saw what was going on. (2:46 pm) and everything was over by that time.  They were about to have the first news conference.  

Shocking.

He is in two of my Bible classes, and his son is my "god-child."  He retires in just 3 weeks.  Be glad when that happens.  

By the way, he is waiting for the RV as well.  

• Upvote 2