Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

That Calls on Baghdad to Make Tangible Progress

That Calls on Baghdad to Make Tangible Progress in the Remaining Obligations of Chapter VII

144952_2103862142_618e463989.jpg

Posted 01/04/2011 04:00 AM

Washington welcomed UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon night of Security Council resolution last December to eject Iraq from Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, but Baghdad called "concrete" progress in its remaining obligations.

He suggested that the report of the Security Council for its next week to confirm Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki reiterate in writing a commitment to Security Council resolution 833 in 1993 as a yardstick for confidence-building between the two countries.

The Security Council requested the Secretary-General to report every four months to monitor the activities of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) and main developments in the areas of security, politics and society in Iraq in addition to international and regional events.

He welcomed the fact that the positive momentum created by the historic mutual visits at the level of Prime Ministers between Iraq and Kuwait and commended the decision to form a joint bilateral Commission to take immediate steps to address issues of concern to both countries.

"I hope that this new spirit translates into actions solid could engage in building trust between the two sides to this end, my Special Representative Ad Melkert and Gennady Tarasov Supreme Coordinator will continue to help Iraq and Kuwait in a convergence on these long-standing issues.

And that the Iraqi Government renewed its call to reaffirm their commitment to Security Council resolution 833 in 1993 concerning land and maritime boundary with Kuwait as soon as possible and to take urgent steps to resume maintenance tags border including reposition farmers away from the border with Kuwait.

He stressed that progress in this regard "requirement to normalize Iraq's international equivalent of what it was before the adoption of resolution 661" following the former Iraqi regime's invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

With regard to missing Kuwaitis since 1991 the United Nations to field explorations team joint Kuwaiti-Iraqi sites may be mass graves in Iraq (Nasiriyah) under the auspices of ICRC and with logistical mission (UNAMI), recalling similar actions planned during April.

Turning the United Nations Secretary-General in his report to the security turmoil in Iraq, saying "events in Iraq have shown over the past few weeks that Iraq is not immune to the wave of civil disturbances which affected other parts of the region".

The demonstrations that roamed over Iraq and the violence highlighted the urgent need to address the low level of public services and high rates of unemployment and the failure to curb corruption.

He warned that delays in addressing these issues will be marginalized in the political and security gains achieved by Iraq in recent years.

The Mission of (US) to expand Security capabilities and strengthening its resources in order to ensure flexible security and credible by the withdrawal of u.s. troops from Iraq later this year.

Stressed that "I would like to assure the Government of Iraq (UNAMI) mission and the United Nations will spare no efforts in assisting them to confront socio-economic challenges facing".

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=ar&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alesbuyia.com%2Finp%2Fview.asp%3FID%3D25600

• Upvote 2

One thing in particular worries me about this. It seems to me that much of what still needs to be done within Iraq (nothing to do with Kuwait) that the Secretary General is calling for cannot be done without the RV, but if the Chapter 7 restrictions won't be lifted until they are done - WTF?!!

I keep reading that Iraq CANNOT RV with Ch. 7 still in effect. Is this absolutely true?? With all the progress towards RV this last month, including the efforts of US Treas. employees, WTO training and UN people, how can the UN decide to prevent the RV??

Surely Kuwait does not have this much power: "No RV until ALL the details are satisfied."??

Inflation going way up, partly because the 000s have been removed from circulation in preparation for RV, so Shabibi really needs to pull the trigger to stop the inflation. Will the UN stand in the way? Can they?

I need someone that really knows the answers to share FACTS, not OPINIONS please.

Peace and Prosperity