Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Parliament recesses for two weeks for Husseini processions

k98nights

Wednesday, January 19th 2011 1:40 PM

Sulaimaniya, Jan.19 (AKnews)- A lawmaker said due to the commemoration of the fortieth day of Ashura, parliament has canceled sessions for two weeks while another lawmaker said the delay will last only 12 days.

cms-image-000056468.jpg

Ashura marks the martyrdom date of Imam Hussein, revered by Shias across the world. The Shia leader was beheaded in the battle of Karbala against Umayyad caliphate in 680 in Iraq.

Ala Talabani told AKnews Tuesday since the Shia lawmakers are engaged in commemoration ceremonials for the day, the sessions will be canceled for two weeks.

Mohammed Abubakir, the media secretary for parliament said the suspension is from Jan.18-30, i.e. 12 days. He believed the recess will not be of any negative consequences for impeding the discussions in parliament because parliament assembled three times before the suspension whereas two sessions were stipulated under the internal policy of parliament.

Reported by Dilshad Saifaddin

Lh/AKnews

http://www.aknews.co...knews/4/211737/

• Upvote 2

Good grief. Do these folks ever work? Every time you turn around they are taking another week off or declaring a new holiday. Want to cut the budget? the people ought to pay them by the hour. Each hour they are sitting in their seat in the assembly (the coffee bar doesn't count).

• Upvote 5

Good grief. Do these folks ever work? Every time you turn around they are taking another week off or declaring a new holiday. Want to cut the budget? the people ought to pay them by the hour. Each hour they are sitting in their seat in the assembly (the coffee bar doesn't count).

Work? A bureaucrat in government....... in Iraq??? LOL :lol:

• Upvote 3

Wow,

Another paid vacation... Dear God, if I have to be re-incarnated, please give me the good sense to be a politician as they have zero accountability and all of the perks of being the most popular people. BTW, what ever happend to electing people who KNEW what the devil was going on and just didn't look good? Iraq is really taking a lesson from American politics. "Do nothing, say anything, and get over on everything."

• Upvote 2

Wednesday, January 19th 2011 1:40 PM

Sulaimaniya, Jan.19 (AKnews)- A lawmaker said due to the commemoration of the fortieth day of Ashura, parliament has canceled sessions for two weeks while another lawmaker said the delay will last only 12 days.

Ashura marks the martyrdom date of Imam Hussein, revered by Shias across the world. The Shia leader was beheaded in the battle of Karbala against Umayyad caliphate in 680 in Iraq. [/size]

Ala Talabani told AKnews Tuesday since the Shia lawmakers are engaged in commemoration ceremonials for the day, the sessions will be canceled for two weeks.

Mohammed Abubakir, the media secretary for parliament said the suspension is from Jan.18-30, i.e. 12 days. He believed the recess will not be of any negative consequences for impeding the discussions in parliament because parliament assembled three times before the suspension whereas two sessions were stipulated under the internal policy of parliament.

Ok folks here is my saying on the issue:" Shias are the largest group in Iraq they form about 65% of Iraq's population. Shia's don't make crucial, and important decision before the fourtieth day of Ashura (which is the day the Prophet's grandson was massacred with his family in the Iraqi city of Karbala about 1300 years ago), because they consider these days to be mourning, and sad days, and to make an important decision on a mourning, or sad day is believed to bring you bad luck. The commemoration of the 40th day of Ashura will fall next week, so hopefully they are waiting for the commemoration to end before they take important decisions such as approving budget, and announcing an RV! Like I said at first this is my own personal opinion!

GO RV!!!!!!! :)