Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi political leaders scramble ahead of deadline to form government

SteveI

November 9, 2010

BAGHDAD - Iraq's political leaders met for the second time Tuesday night in an effort to end a months-long political impasse ahead of a looming parliamentary deadline.

On the eve of a court-mandated session of parliament Thursday, substantial obstacles remain to the formation of a new government, as the Kurds press their claim to the presidency, and Iraqiya, the Sunni-backed bloc that won the most votes in the March 7 elections, struggles to limit the next prime minister's power and secure the presidency for itself.

The United States is increasing pressure on the Kurds to yield to Iraqiya on the presidency, worried that Iraqiya, which is headed by secular Shiite Ayad Allawi, will not be properly represented in the next government. The effect of that would be to sideline Iraq's Sunni minority, contributing to possible further instability ahead of the U.S. military withdrawal set for the end of 2011.

"We will either be in the opposition or out of the political process - and this will be dangerous" for the process, said Shaker al-Khatab, an Iraqiya legislator.

Meanwhile, the Shiite incumbent prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, is trying to garner the backing he needs to keep his post without ceding any of his power. Maliki emerged as the likeliest candidate for the top job in the new government when he secured the support of the Sadrists, a populist Shiite political movement opposed to the U.S. presence here.

Iraqiya has been offered the post of parliamentary speaker in a Maliki-led government.

"It's Iraqiya's decision if they want to participate or not," said Ali al-Alaq, a member of Maliki's State of Law bloc, adding that parliament will convene Thursday even if Iraqiya balks.

Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) met with Kurdish officials during a visit to Iraq this week to ask them drop their claim to the presidency. President Obama and Vice President Biden made the same request in recent phone calls, said Kurdish lawmaker Mahmoud Othman.

"The pressure on the Kurds is increasing," Othman said. "I don't think the blocs can reach an agreement in time."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110901751.html

Edited by SteveI
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the post Steve! If you get a chance - what's your honest take on how things progressed for Iraq in these meetings Today all and all. I've seen and commented on some good articles and rumors that seem to be saying similar things...

What's your take? Do you think the RV could happen before the Government is officially announced or formed? Do you think this Thursday is a significant day? Any insight would be much appreciated from your buddy and follower Fresh!

Thanks and God Bless Steve!

- Fresh :D

"The pressure on the Kurds is increasing," Othman said. "I don't think the blocs can reach an agreement in time."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110901751.html

WTH?! You don't think? Whatever happened to "Checks and Balances?" That's back to ELEMENTARY BUSINESS 101.

How many more Iraq's need to die before they can establish a government? 1? 20? 50? 200? I believe that's a fair question...

these last few lines of the article just made me nauseous :(

Allawi missed Tuesday's meeting, sending delegates instead. Members of Iraqiya denied that his absence was a snub and hinted that they would push for Thursday's session to be delayed to deal with the wide disagreements between Maliki's and Allawi's blocs.

"I think probably ... the parliament meeting will be postponed," said Falah al-Naqib, a prominent Iraqiya figure. "We cannot proceed without a package deal."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110901751.html?

• Upvote 1

Allawi missed Tuesday's meeting, sending delegates instead. Members of Iraqiya denied that his absence was a snub and hinted that they would push for Thursday's session to be delayed to deal with the wide disagreements between Maliki's and Allawi's blocs.

"I think probably ... the parliament meeting will be postponed," said Falah al-Naqib, a prominent Iraqiya figure. "We cannot proceed without a package deal."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110901751.html?

I believe there is no problems. It was reported he did not attend due to illness but will be there for the meetings. All is good from what I have been reading.

Thank you and God Bless.

The Kurds should YIELD and give the Presidency to Allawi -- so long as there demands are met -- this should be the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY with the Kurds (previous oil contracts, Kirkuk, etc) if MOST demands are met -- then give the Presidency to Allawi -- sounds like Kurds are being GREEDY -- ONE cannot have EVERYTHING. If Allawi and company are not INCLUDED in the process -- and just handed "crumbs" --- Iraq will EXPLODE in violence and FAIL --- Kurds better get "REAL" !!!!

Edited by EBJNYC
  • Upvote 1

I believe there is no problems. It was reported he did not attend due to illness but will be there for the meetings. All is good from what I have been reading.

Thank you and God Bless.

Thank you for all your postings of the various news articles this past week. You have been quite busy . GO GOI>>>GO RV!! B)

Edited by nashdinar

Thank you for all your postings of the various news articles this past week. You have been quite busy . GO GOI>>>GO RV!! B)

For sure, my new wife will be quite pleased when this is all said and done. It is costing me a hug for every post. :rolleyes:

God Bless all of you and thank you for the kind words. I am doing my very best to bring great and accurate news to this awesome site. To me it is a privilege and not a right to be here posting. Thank you Adam!

Edited by SteveI
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the post Steve! If you get a chance - what's your honest take on how things progressed for Iraq in these meetings Today all and all. I've seen and commented on some good articles and rumors that seem to be saying similar things...

What's your take? Do you think the RV could happen before the Government is officially announced or formed? Do you think this Thursday is a significant day? Any insight would be much appreciated from your buddy and follower Fresh!

Thanks and God Bless Steve!

- Fresh :D

I just lost my reply to your questions. I will type them out on word then past them again later tonight. Sorry. I just spent 30 minutes explaining my take on your questions. Again, I am a bit upset by losing all work.

God Bless.

• Upvote 1

I just lost my reply to your questions. I will type them out on word then past them again later tonight. Sorry. I just spent 30 minutes explaining my take on your questions. Again, I am a bit upset by losing all work.

God Bless.

Steve, you are a stand up guy! I was hopeful you may add some insight and I certainly understand THAT frustration - been there :lol: Thanks for you contributions and your follow up's... I regard you as one of my more "followed" posters and contributors here and I thank you for your hard work and GOD BLESS!!!

- Fresh :)

Blows my mind.

That Amer. Contractor reported earlier after that other meeting that this was probably going to happen.

Edited by Ha Ha Ha
  • Upvote 3