Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Really hope I'm alive when the RV happens..

jwprimerica

This is How the Game is Being Played in Iraq

30/10/2010

By Tariq Alhomayed

Tariq Alhomayed

Tariq Alhomayed is the Editor-in-Chief of Asharq Al-Awsat, the youngest person to be appointed that position. Mr. Alhomayed has an acclaimed and distinguished career as a Journalist and has held many key positions in the field including; Assistant Editor-in-Chief of Asharq Al-Awsat, Managing Editor of Asharq Al-Awsat in Saudi Arabia, Head of Asharq Al-Awsat Newspaper's Bureau-Jeddah, Correspondent for Al - Madina Newspaper in Washington D.C. from 1998 to Aug 2000. Mr. Alhomyed has been a guest analyst and commentator on numerous news and current affair programs including: the BBC, German TV, Al Arabiya, Al- Hurra, LBC and the acclaimed Imad Live’s four-part series on terrorism and reformation in Saudi Arabia. He is also the first Journalist to conduct an interview with Osama Bin Ladin's Mother. Mr. Alhomayed holds a BA degree in Media studies from King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah, and has also completed his Introductory courses towards a Master’s degree from George Washington University in Washington D.C. He is based in London.

The process of forming the next government of Iraq is still ongoing nearly eight months after the elections, and there has been an increase in the media leaks and speculation over different [political] scenarios with regards to this. However the critical question that must be asked here is: what is going on behind the scenes?

A well-informed source told me the following:

That Washington is not in agreement with Tehran over Nouri al-Maliki's nomination, and wants to attract him [al-Maliki] to their side. Washington believes that if it does not do this, al-Maliki will form a government with the support of the Iranians, and that it will be difficult for the US to reach an understanding with al-Maliki following this. Therefore, Washington support for al-Maliki today would guarantee that he does not stand against them tomorrow, on the basis that they [the Americans] are the ones who helped him to remain in power. All that Washington wants from al-Maliki [in return] is for him not to disrupt or postpone the proposed agreements [between the US and Iraq], and particularly the security agreements, whilst what Iran wants from al-Maliki is another story.

The source also said that "Iyad Allawi's mistake, with regards to Washington, is that he negotiated with the Sadrist trend without informing them." When I asked the source about Washington's opinion of al-Maliki negotiating with the Sadrists, he said "this is different, for the Sadrists allying with Allawi means that they will form a larger bloc, and will therefore obtain greater influence [should this bloc come to power], which is something rejected by the US, whilst the Sadrists allying with al-Maliki will not grant them this advantage, and therefore the Sadrists will not be able to dictate their conditions on al-Maliki."

As for the situation in the region, the source said that "an unannounced meeting took place in Doha: attended by everybody from Syria, Turkey, Iran and Jordan." A Turkish source said that this meeting was not planned, and took place on the sidelines of the reception held by the Al Jazeera Center for Studies for Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu. During this meeting, the parties discussed the idea of a "new Taif [Agreement] for Iraq" [in reference to the 1989 Taif Agreement that aimed to end the Lebanese civil war and return political normalcy to the country]. According to both Arab and Turkish sources, the Turks have taken a strong position against "neighboring countries" intervening in the formation of the Iraqi government, a reference to Iran. This Turkish position has been supported by Qatar.

The sources also revealed that the news of this "new Taif [Agreement] for Iraq" and the possibility of it being held in Damascus – something that was first reported in Asharq Al-Awsat [19/8/2010; under the headline "Sources – Iraqi Taif Agreement in Syria under Arab – Turkish Sponsorship] – being leaked to the media may have thwarted its occurance. This resulted in another idea being proposed, namely a meeting in Baghdad of all Iraqi blocs [to resolve the issue of the formation of a government]; however this also did not succeed.

As for the Arab world, the sources revealed that there is an idea that has begun to take shape recently that believes that there is a constitutional flaw in the position of the Iraqi Prime Minister. Therefore, the idea of accepting a second term for al-Maliki could help rectify the situation with regards to limiting the powers of the prime minister, not just for the present but for the future, returning some of these powers to the Iraqi President, in addition to increasing the standing of Iraq's parliament. However this idea is facing a new setback today, according to the sources, as the Arabs, the Americans, and even Iran, have been surprised by the most recent media leaks that indicate an agreement being formed between the Iraqiya bloc, the Kurdish blocs, and [Ammar] al-Hakim. This agreement could see Adil Abdul-Mahdi becoming prime minister of the new Iraqi government.

Therefore, is Allawi able to continue surprising us in this manner, and confusing everybody by truly reaching an agreement with the Kurds and al-Hakim? This is yet unknown, but let us carefully monitor the situation.

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=22856

• Upvote 4

You sound like me sometimes and I have come to terms with myself in not worrying about it any more. It is out of my/our hands but I do believe you will be alive when the RV happens, its not going to be that long. They cannot exist too much longer the way it is, the world wont allow it and neither will the Iraqi people who suffer so much. Go RV

B)B)B)B)B) My caribbean beach is waiting for me. It will still be there next year if this thing takes that long.

• Upvote 1

KimJackie, there really is no doubt in my mind that I'll be around, just my way of venting over a nations stupidity :rolleyes: I am in the same boat as you tho, I haven't been able to find anything substantial in the last couple days (hence why I have been absent from the site) So I have, in turn, been going about my daily business trying to be blissfully unaware to the blaring contradictions in the hopes that it will maintain my sanity :D:D My beach is waiting for me as well, but I think my first priority is to getting my Saleen S7 ( LOVED that car since the age of 12 ) and going for a ride AFTER I have paid my tithe, setup another Roth IRA, looked at 1 or 2 more MM accounts, taken care of the small debts I have left, and treated myself and whoever else I want to Ruths Chris Steakhouse ;) lol.. Going to be so happy when this roller coaster ride ends, in real life I love roller coasters, in Dinar life... Makes me wanna barf every day

-J

• Upvote 1

They should hire that Iraqi mother that lost her husband and became a contractor for the US (Najat Saleem) and is now a real estate developer, that's the spirit that will rebuild Iraq. How do these guys get to work in the morning? .. Oh yeah, they have their driver take them, otherwise I don't think they could get there. Just get it done guys! Good Lord!

GOD I'm such an idiot for saying this!!!! :blink::blink::angry::angry::o

lol...it is to laugh...but why do you antagonize him?if he's bein an idiot let him....personally i find nothing wrong with his posts...some are entertaining and hilarious.but just because he challenges or positive flow doesnt mean we treat him in such a fashion...i liken this to a situation i have here at home....my son laughed in my face and said"let me know how that works out for you"now that hurts cause this RV will benefit him moreso than me...

I dont treat my son badly for his negativity and we shouldnt do this to Bane...no matter how childish some of his posts comes off to some here.....and Bane....im not advocating for you as im pretty sure you probably would take offense but i just felt that it was unnecessary for someone to take their time out of the day to register Idiot Bane....thats just as childish as the posts that upset them to make such a char.lets concentrate on whats at hand...getting paid....cause after all..when this is over 90% of us will forget about each other in the span of 3 months and we all will just remember the sleepless nights,and the rush and thats it.IMO :tiphat:

• Upvote 2

It doesn't bother me. I don't know him, this person is not in my personal life. It really has no effect on me. But REALLY if someone is gonna parady me....They should AT LEAST be funny. I'm a downright hoot! Just making an idiot bane character is lame. Spice it up guy! Add some obscure movie references or something! Say something funny like...."Whatcha talkin bout Willis?" That always gets em! :D

I'm not negative about the investment, just about date setters.

• Upvote 4

Thats exactly correct weasel in my opinion as well. 90% of us will never speak or even remember anyone when this finally ends. I have nothing against anybody stating a date pretty bold I must say but hey,at least they tried but we are after all trying to predict the actions of a war torn country. This investment has potential for sure, but honestly I dont even know if the Iraqis know when they are doing to do it. Im not saying it wont be tomorrow or 5 years from now.Be easy on each other guys and gals cause if you didnt believe you wouldnt be on here,period.

• Upvote 1